Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• April 12, 2013 12:34 PM CDT
    • I"m gonna say Man o' Sand Girl o' Sea without seeing any video, haha.

• April 12, 2013 12:25 PM CDT
    • Which video, Sean? I can't see anything. I should be able to help you once I can access the footage.

• April 12, 2013 12:32 AM CDT
    • Hey, does anyone know the name of the Go Betweens song that plays at 3:31 in the vid below??? This has been driving me nuts for a while now. It's a bad ass track.

• April 12, 2013 12:28 PM CDT
    • ACTUALLY , THE ARTWORK IS QUITE GOOD. I WOULD HAVE SWORN , MY FRIEND , STEVE KRAKOW (GALACTIC ZOODOSSIER MAGAZINE. LOOK IT UP. THANK ME , LATER.) DID THIS , SAVE FOR THE FACT THAT , STYLISTICALLY , IT'S DIFFERENT. IF THIS WERE AIMED AT KIDS , HOWEVER , TRY TO EXPLAIN THE STORY OF ARNOLD LAYNE !

• April 12, 2013 12:08 PM CDT
    • ....IT PAINS ME TO SAY THIS , BUT , IT'S A LOT BETTER - MADE THAN THE ROKY BOBBLEHEAD , WHICH RESEMBLES A YOUNGER KENNY ROGERS MORE CLOSELY.... I'M REMINDED OF THE TIME SOME MUSCLEBOY IN THE AUDIENCE YELLED FOR SOME GUNS'N'ROSES. ALLIN REPLIED , " YEAH , GUNS'N'ROSES !" , SMASHING HIS HEAD ON THE STAGE FLOOR , "REAL HEADBANGING ROCK'N'ROLL !!!''.

• April 12, 2013 7:39 AM CDT
    • GG Allin bobblehead!

• April 12, 2013 2:45 AM CDT
    • I shit you not! I found this online. A Syd Barrett colouring book. Not widely available, but you can buy direct from the artist. pipergatesdesign@hotmail.co.uk Theres apparently a Joy Division one as well. WTF?????? Genius! With this in mind. What other bizarre and out there merchandise and stuff has anyone found or heard of that takes our minds and music to another level, haha This is just amazing. Waiting for my copy to come through the letterbox.

• April 12, 2013 12:22 PM CDT
    • People are living longer , these days. Each year sees at least a few people checking out at age 114. I just saw an interview with Lux Interior where he maintained that while Rock'n'Roll IS teenage music , it's scope is'nt limited to any specific age group . Anyone who wants to play it , can , and he sure lived to prove THAT. BUT "ROCK" music , he added , is for older people who no longer feel the Teenage Rage. A good friend of mine lost his Mother at the age of 93. A few years earlier , she bought us each a Johnny Thunders T- shirt. She even requested they let her wear a Ramones T-shirt under her hospital gown , when she was nearing the end. It's not so much that she was a fan , as that's how she wanted to keep her Son close by when he could'nt be there . So , you see , despite our best combined efforts , Rock'n'Roll has bridged the generation gap. 

• April 12, 2013 12:15 AM CDT
    • Damn right! I'm 55 and rippin' thru "Journey To The Center Of The Mind" every time The Shreds Of Evidence hit the stage. As if that ain't enough, we tac "Ride My See Saw" on the front of it and rip seamlessly from one to the other. It's just under 8 minutes of psychedelic thunder. It's become known as the showstopper. Starts of with spot-on Graham Edge "Departure" poetry intro. Looking for that outdoor festival gig!

• April 11, 2013 11:24 PM CDT
    • Man, you don't need no help.  Keep doing your thing.  I'm 49 and counting.  Yeah, I'm the old geezer at the garage punk shows digging the music and drooling over the young honeys.  As long as the music moves me and I can still move, I'll keep rawkin'!  There's no expiration date on enjoying raw, loud rock-n-roll.

• April 12, 2013 7:46 AM CDT
    • 2004 - when I start rockin yeah

• April 10, 2013 3:15 PM CDT
    • Wow. They scarcely played together , anymore , at that point, when you could have seen both of them for $3 at CBGBs at one time..... The Ramones and Iggy played together, here , in '88 , and I later read they had'nt shared a bill in 10 years , except one big festival where I don't think they were on the same day(?) . The Dickies were added at the last minute . It was the last time DeeDeee would play with the band in Chicago.

Manu said:

If we talk about most intense rock 'n roll years on the personal side, I like to mention '93 at least for the Graspop festival in Belgium I attended, featuring THE CRAMPS AND THE RAMONES. How much would we pay for such a night now?! Was I fully conscious of my chance?..

MikeL said:

2004 was my best year ever for rock'n'roll. I discovered a cool new band that year (the Charms); a band that I discovered the previous year (Manda and the Marbles) played here in Pittsburgh a couple of times, and they had a CD release party in their hometown of Columbus, OH, which I attended; a new local band at the time (the Breakup Society) released a cool debut CD; the Cynics played a couple of local gigs; a couple of bands that I discovered a few years earlier (Cobra Verde and the Paybacks) played here at the 31st Street Pub; a favorite local punk band that broke up a few years before (the Ultimatics) did a one off reunion show at the Pub; I saw both the Darkness and David Bowie in concert; I attended LSUG's Battle of the Bands and the festival at Randall's Island in NYC; I saw the Gore Gore Girls a couple of times here in Pittsburgh when they had that really cute bass player Jen "Deuce" Pirch; I saw the Ramones' documentary "End of the Century." And that's pretty much it. I guess all the stars lined up perfectly that year, and I'll probably never have another year like that again, which saddens me.

• April 10, 2013 3:08 PM CDT
    •  I forgot to mention : Best show performed to 30 people: Arthur Brown.

Bigest letdown : Kingsmen , Larry and The Blue Notes , Jerry Lee Lewis (But, he was better , every time , after that , I saw him.).

John Battles said:

Devil's Advocate sez  1986 was'nt too shabby , either.

Cramps - A Date With Elvis.

Roky Erickson - Don't Slander Me.

Pandoras - Stop Pretending.

Link Wray - Live in 85.

Fleshtones - Fleshtones Vs. Reality.

Lithium Xmas -Aneurysm (And the pre - Nirvana debut of their version of "Love Buzz " by The Shocking Blue.).

Ramones - Animal Boy (Some of us were glad there was an album and a tour.).

Motorhead - Orgasmatron (Ditto.) .

Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy and US imports of their first singles.

Washington Dead Cats - Horror Stories from The Washington Dead Cats.

Rockabilly Psychosis and The Garage Disease (Comp. Possibly '85.)

Revenge of The Killer Pussies (Same).

Teddy and The Tall Tops - On The Line EP.

Screamin' Jay Hawkins with The Fuzztones - Live EP.

? and The Mysterians - Live , Dallas , '84.

Sky "Sunlight" Saxon and Firewall "Destiny's Children" (It was STILL better than what most "Straight''artists were coming up with in the REM afterbirth.).

Vile Vinyl , VOL. 1 AND 2  (Comps.)

Fuzzbox - Bostin' Steve Austin/We've Got a Fuzzbox and We're Gonna USE It. (US/UK. Possibly  '86 and 87.).

Paladins - Debut on Wrestler.

Dwight Yoakum - Guitars , Cadillacs , etc.(It sounded fresh at the time.).

Best shows - Ramones , Divine Horsemen , Plan 9 , Pandoras , Motorhead , Carl Perkins , Blasters , Screamin' Jay Hawkins , John Lee Hooker , (early) Rev. Horton Heat , Ragin' Fire , Voodoo Idols , Bo Diddley , Paladins , Teddy and The Tall Tops , Lithium Xmas , Peyote Cowboys , Shitty Beatles , Mel Coolies ,

Hell , even The Butthole Surfers were still turning in good shows.

Best tour that passed my town - Cramps.

Worst shows - Red Hot Chili Peppers , Flaming Lips , Stickmen with Rayguns .

Not bad and not great - Johnny Thunders , Sid and Billy King.

• April 11, 2013 4:19 PM CDT
    • Fair 'nuff , tho ' as I said elsewhere , I did'nt mind hearing it on the radio at the time (Like most hits from The UK in the early 80's , it was at least a year old when it broke , here.), it was one of the only records that had any hard chords on it to get any airplay or early MTV coverage (I did'nt have MTV , which was a good thing.) , at the time .
      You reminded me , though , in keeping with the discussion about RAWK AND ROLL stations testing the New Wave waters , in '82 or EARLY '83 , Z-97 in Dallas/Ft. Worth , changed , briefly from an all - KICK ASS ROCK AND ROLL format to New Wave. They played hitmakers like Bow Wow Wow , The Clash , Lene Lovich , Toni Basil , alongside lesser known acts like  Oingo Boingo , Sparks and even Rock'n'Roll Radio's redheaded step children , X. IT LASTED A COUPLE OF MONTHS. 
      James Porter said:

Bow Wow Wow's take on "I Want Candy"

• April 11, 2013 3:49 PM CDT
    • Bow Wow Wow's take on "I Want Candy"

• April 10, 2013 7:16 PM CDT
    • btw , Mad John , Their guitarist , played in a later version of The Tell - Tale Hearts.

John Battles said:

It's VERY good. Those guys were/are from St. Louis or nearby. They used to play here in Chicago quite a bit. Their attitude was very cool . They'd say , anyone who knows these songs , get up here and join us. One time I must have sung an entire set with them , and they THANKED me. I saw Jimy Sohns join them onstage , but he just did "Gloria" , declining requests for "Bad Little Woman". I know they reformed a few years ago . Dunno if they're still active.

Andy Climax said:

Followed by a sublime rendition of the Danny and the Counts classic You Need Love. I fkn love the Royal Nonesuch's version.

• April 10, 2013 7:12 PM CDT
    • It's VERY good. Those guys were/are from St. Louis or nearby. They used to play here in Chicago quite a bit. Their attitude was very cool . They'd say , anyone who knows these songs , get up here and join us. One time I must have sung an entire set with them , and they THANKED me. I saw Jimy Sohns join them onstage , but he just did "Gloria" , declining requests for "Bad Little Woman". I know they reformed a few years ago . Dunno if they're still active.

Andy Climax said:

Followed by a sublime rendition of the Danny and the Counts classic You Need Love. I fkn love the Royal Nonesuch's version.

• April 10, 2013 7:06 PM CDT
    • Nice one , Andy , even tho' I like their version. You can't knock The Damned's Citadel (Or , can you?) , tho'it ain't Garaeg Rock , it's close enuff.

Andy Climax said:

Nice one John! My favourite Seeds song murdered by some of my other fave musicians. Where's the mogadons? haha

• April 10, 2013 4:14 PM CDT
    • Followed by a sublime rendition of the Danny and the Counts classic You Need Love. I fkn love the Royal Nonesuch's version.

• April 10, 2013 4:10 PM CDT
    • Nice one John! My favourite Seeds song murdered by some of my other fave musicians. Where's the mogadons? haha

• April 10, 2013 3:32 PM CDT
    • I'VE NEVER HEARD PANDORA , BUT , IT WOULD BE HARD TO IMAGINE A GLAM ROCK BAND IN CLEVELAND AT THE TIME.... THERE COULD HAVE BEEN ONE ,BUT , IF YOU WERE'NT DOING OBVIOUS RADIO ROCK COVERS , YOU DIED THE DEATH......The Cle Rock "Scene" was influenced by some of that stuff , sure. It was still underground in America. Frankenstein (Pre- Dead Boys) dressed like The New York Dolls , and John Morton (Electric Eels , Styrenes) wore makeup and large earrings , but , was big and bad enough to back up his profile.....

Cleveland was still Raspberries and Blue Ash (Great groups.)in the early 70's , as original music went. I think I read that Pandora was from New York ,too.

• April 10, 2013 3:22 PM CDT
    • It was still a big deal to me , when The Ramones would put out a new album , in the 80's and 90's. I'll take their worst over Nirvana and Soundgarden's best any day. I WAS A LITTLE TOO YOUNG TO RELATE TO PUNK , WHEN IT ARRIVED , AND TOO OLD TO RELATE TO GRUNGE , LATER ON.

• April 10, 2013 2:07 PM CDT
    • Best tunes, sure. But subsequent LPs have at least one or two classic songs, esp. if ya like Girl Group sounds.

Worst one for me is that crappy Phil Spector one, even DeeDee says so.

• April 10, 2013 1:22 PM CDT
    • johnny, dee dee, tommy, joey. all other line ups fail

• April 10, 2013 3:04 PM CDT
    • Yeah , I picked this up when it first came out , in about 1990. Arthur was just trying to make yet another comeback  , but , I don't think he played much , if at all , outside of LA. Good performances , here , but , it did'nt really come together until he hooked up with Baby Lemonade , a few years later. They played in Chicago in '93 or '94 . About 75 people showed up , and Arthur made Baby Lemonade do their own set AFTER he played ,which gave the opener , Lava Sutra , 20 minutes to play , so Lee could go on early. Then , he played for 45 minutes , and refused an encore. But , he looked great and sounded beautiful.

I KNOW THERE WAS THAT ONE TOUR OF CALIFORNIA WITH A REVAMPED LOVE , MUSIC MACHINE , SEEDS , AND STRAWBERRY ALARM CLOCK IN 1986 , I THINK , WHEN THE LA GARAGE SCENE WAS LARGELY GRINDING TO A HALT.

Gringo Starr said:

That's the one ^ - Look what I just found:

https://vimeo.com/27562328