Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• April 22, 2013 5:15 PM CDT
    • There is a great comp of all N.C. Sixties garage called tobacco-a-go-go. It was released around 84. Also check out some of the cool stuff Munster records has.

• April 22, 2013 3:31 PM CDT
    • I just got my copy of "Boobs," and I think it's even better than "Velvet Tinmine." I especially like "Interplanetary Twist" by Screamer (One part Bowie, all the rest Sweet), along with "Good Time Fanny" by Angel and "Baby" by Sensation. I also love the glam slam covers of "Little Bit O' Soul" by Iron Cross and "Let's Go" by Rock Rebellion.

• April 22, 2013 2:58 PM CDT
    • Just got hold of a copy, which really is brilliant. I love every song on it. You don't need to drop acid for this one, as it is acid. ACcccccciiiiiiiid!

Tersicore said:

Chris, I owe you one!! 

This is the kind of shit a really like to discover now and again! :)
      Is this the same band, really? Hard to believe!
      AAAAAaacccccciiiiiiiiiiiiiddddddddddd!  

Chris Henniker said:

How about some curried Goat, laced with Acid naturally? I heard them in Rough Trade while getting Mum & Dad's Christmas presents.

• April 21, 2013 4:36 PM CDT
    • Lovely, i guess i´m gonna add this girls-band to the soundtrack of my coming summer.

dave said:

"Have you taken a La Luz listen yet? You should! Their sunny tunes will make you feel you're like surfing through a mellow ocean of golden tears with the Ronettes." -via the Stranger

• April 22, 2013 8:52 AM CDT
    • After all, the other way round..
      Pity i missed this great band back then! Actually very late´70s style, indeed!
      Even if the lyrics are different, the subject remains Thalidomide.
      I reckon the nofx-one may be more P.C. by comparison?
      My english isn´t that good but still, as you appropriately said, i feel "uncomfortable" listening to this great song! Ok, by nofx i feel uncomfortable because of the music, but this is another story ;)

Jane Dear said:

The lyrics aren't really the same save for a few references to limbs.... maybe it's just a coincidence? Raxola came out with this in the 70s and that was NOFX's first demo in the 80s. 

Tersicore said:

Oh, right! its an original nofx! Found.
      this cover is great!! even if the lyrics is actually much more uncomfortable.

Jane Dear said:

Not surprised, probably just NOFX lyrics out there. 

Tersicore said:

Thanx Jane!!  
      I´m loving this song!!! I understand the most, couldn´t find the lyric, though. 

Jane Dear said:

This song is pretty good at making everyone feel really uncomfortable.

• April 21, 2013 10:43 PM CDT
    • The lyrics aren't really the same save for a few references to limbs.... maybe it's just a coincidence? Raxola came out with this in the 70s and that was NOFX's first demo in the 80s. 

Tersicore said:

Oh, right! its an original nofx! Found.

Jane Dear said:

Tersicore said:

Thanx Jane!!  

Jane Dear said:

• April 21, 2013 9:16 PM CDT
    • Yeah......And that's saying nothing of "Let It Bleed". But , The Stones could outrage with such style. Like they just did'nt give a rat's ass. "We piss anywhere , man". 

Johnny Lurg said:

I think most of the songs on Sticky Fingers probably offended people at the time.

John Battles said:

I THINK "bROWN sUGAR" MUST have offended people at the time , now , we're all kind of used to it. Jagger tried to push the envelope a little harder by singing "Just like a young BOY should", when he'd sing it , live.

Bibliodiscoteque said:

Did we fail to mention Brown Sugar or did I miss it? 

Gold coast slave ship bound for cotton fields,
      Sold in a market down in new orleans.
      Scarred old slaver know he's doin alright.
      Hear him whip the women just around midnight.
      Ah brown sugar how come you taste so good
      (a-ha) brown sugar, just like a young girl should

James Porter said:

John Battles sez: "It's funny that "Satisfaction" was sometimes censored , yet Jagger throws in the "B" word twice on ("Stupid Girl")"

They probably got away with that because "Stupid Girl" was just an album cut. At a time when radio stations were singles-oriented and rarely played album tracks, that was what made the difference.

• April 20, 2013 11:33 AM CDT
    • Oh, right! its an original nofx! Found.

Jane Dear said:

Tersicore said:

Thanx Jane!!  

Jane Dear said:

• April 20, 2013 11:04 AM CDT
    • Not surprised, probably just NOFX lyrics out there. 

Tersicore said:

Thanx Jane!!  

Jane Dear said:

• April 20, 2013 10:53 AM CDT
    • I think most of the songs on Sticky Fingers probably offended people at the time.

John Battles said:

I THINK "bROWN sUGAR" MUST have offended people at the time , now , we're all kind of used to it. Jagger tried to push the envelope a little harder by singing "Just like a young BOY should", when he'd sing it , live.

Bibliodiscoteque said:

Did we fail to mention Brown Sugar or did I miss it? 

Gold coast slave ship bound for cotton fields,
      Sold in a market down in new orleans.
      Scarred old slaver know he's doin alright.
      Hear him whip the women just around midnight.
      Ah brown sugar how come you taste so good
      (a-ha) brown sugar, just like a young girl should

James Porter said:

John Battles sez: "It's funny that "Satisfaction" was sometimes censored , yet Jagger throws in the "B" word twice on ("Stupid Girl")"

They probably got away with that because "Stupid Girl" was just an album cut. At a time when radio stations were singles-oriented and rarely played album tracks, that was what made the difference.

• April 20, 2013 10:49 AM CDT
    • Thanx Jane!!  

Jane Dear said:

• April 20, 2013 9:58 AM CDT
    • This song is pretty good at making everyone feel really uncomfortable.

• April 21, 2013 9:22 PM CDT
    • THAT'S FUNNY !!!! Almost as funny as the guy who posted The Stranglers' "96 Tears" on You Tube, stating it was by The Cramps. It's still up there , by the way , despite several people leaving corrections to the obvious (Intentional?) blunder.   That version, I like OK , i'M A BIGGER FAN OF THE PURPLE HELMETS , THO'.  

Johnny Lurg said:

I actually like The Stranglers' version of "96 Tears," although one of my friends mistook it for Smash Mouth's version of "Can't Get Enough of You, Baby."

• April 20, 2013 10:51 AM CDT
    • I actually like The Stranglers' version of "96 Tears," although one of my friends mistook it for Smash Mouth's version of "Can't Get Enough of You, Baby."

• April 21, 2013 3:40 PM CDT
    • Best year for rock'n'roll? Let's list a few candidates, I'd say:

1951: Jackie Branston And His Delta Cats (Ike Turner) playing Rocket 88. Hell, it's the first rock'n'roll record ever?

1966: You mention the very things that made it a great year.

1967: The Velvet Underground release the most seminal album ever, changing everything in the process. Everyone who bought it started a band.

1976: UK/US punk fully crystalises.

1993: Jarvic Cocker upstages Michael Jackson.

Gringo Starr said:

1966!

Revolver - Beatles
      Pet Sounds - Beach Boys
      Blonde on Blonde - Dylan
      Aftermath - Stones
      Freak Out - Zappa
      Black Monk Time - Monks
      Face to Face - Kinks
      Psychedelic Sounds - 13th Floor Elevators
      A Quick One - The Who
      Fresh Cream - Cream
      Fifth Dimension - Byrds
      Love - Love
      Animalism - The Animals
      Boom - The Sonics
      The Seeds - The Seeds
      96 Tears - ? & The Mysterians
      Web of Sound - The Seeds
      Psychotic Reaction - The Count V
      Turn On - The Music Machine
      Jacques Dutronc - Jacques Dutronc
      The Remains - The Remains
      Small Faces - Small Faces

Another year that was equally remarkable was 1977!

• April 21, 2013 1:20 AM CDT
    • Dear friends and fans of The Metaphysical Circus, I am writing this message to inform you that I have decided to put The Metaphysical Circus on hold for an undetermined amount of time while I concentrate on other things going on in my life at the moment. I have found myself to be too busy with my business and other projects I have taken upon to find the time to compile and air a show on a weekly basis. My life has become far busier than it was back when I started The Metaphysical Circus 8 & 1/2 years ago, and to compile and air the show has pretty much become a burden (but at the same time a labor of love). I love doing The Metaphysical Circus and do plan to resurrect the show sometime in the future, but as for now I need to put the show on hiatus. I would love it if everyone who is "liking" the Metaphysical Circus' facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metaphysical-Circus-with-The-Eggman-An-Obscure-Oldies-Radio-Program/182326748511750) to remain a friend of the show, as I will most likely go into withdrawals and want to talk about music (and spam you with youtube videos perhaps?). So please, stay my friend and give me time to get my life back to a normal pace before The Metaphysical Circus can return to the airwaves. Thank you all for your support over the past 8+ years!!

Egg

• April 20, 2013 3:02 PM CDT
    • I really like it. Even on this shitty tablet I have to use at the moment it sounds good. Sounded a bit more Reigning Sound than Oblivians on first listen but I've heard it a few times now and I'm sold. Need this thing to come out, like, NOW!

• April 20, 2013 2:59 PM CDT
    • Playlist 04-20-13

Not Sensibles  I'm In Love With Margaret Thatcher 
      Anti-Nowhere League  Going Down 
      Buzzcocks  Wake Up Call 
      Psychedelic Furs  Pulse 
      Flipper  Way of the World 
      X We're Having Much More Fun
      T.S.O.L. Nice Guys
      Redd Kross  Deuce 
      Ty Segall & Mikal Cronin  Take Thy Stethoscope and Walk 
      Midnight Spin  Neuroin 
      Thee Oh Sees  Tunnel Time 
      Black Angels  Evil Things 
      Bleached  Next Stop 
      Skating Polly  In My Head 
      Colleen Green  Yr So Cool 
      Pearls  Shine A Light 
      Baby Woodrose  Bubblegum 
      Mysteios  Va Va Va Va Va Va Voodoo Bay-Beee 
      Jackets  Freak Out 
      Beg Borrow Steal King of the Road
      D Generation  Hatred 
      Gluecifer  Shotgun Seat 
      Hellacopters  Everything's On TV 
      Downbeat 5  I Found Out 
      Agent Orange  Somebody to Love 
      Descendents  Marriage 
      Dickies  Paranoid 
      Legal Weapon  Ain't That A Lot Of Love 
      Circle Jerks  Golden Shower of Hits (Jerks on 45) 
      Chelsea Light Moving  Communist Eyes 
      Dirty Fences  All I Want 
      Deniz Tek  Can of Soup 
      Swingin' Utters  I'm A Little Bit Country 
      Andy Smash and the Rust Belt Hot Rods  The New Yorker 
      Harmonica Lewinski  Code Green Jellyfish 
      Johnny Thunders  Pipeline 
      Maggots  I Wanna Go Home 
      Godfathers  Gone to Texas 

• April 20, 2013 1:22 PM CDT
    • ....The ironic thing is that "I'm in love with Margaret Thatcher" was (according to the BBC) the subject of a campaign by Thatcher supporters to stop "Ding Dong The Witch is Dead" making it to number 1 on the week of her funeral....

Tom Robinson is a saint...(he picked our track "Martians Don't Surf!" For his "BBC introduces Mixtape" show on BBC 6 Music the other week.)...

• April 20, 2013 8:34 AM CDT
    • Radio What Wave Playlist April 18 2013

1. Manitoba...I Want You Tonite....from the And You...CD and timely as Manitoba hit London that night and woke it up!!! Notice i didn't refer to London as sleepy this time as Call The Office was rockin' to Manitoba, new veteran combo TVD and Capt Bringdown and The Buzzkillers! Best show i've been to in London since.......well a LONG time!!

Rock Guitar 101 starring Ross The Boss!! Stare at these fingers kids!!

2. Manitoba....Had It Comin'...as above and this goes out to the Legend Killers (at least 2 of whom were present at Manitoba) as they covered it on their last CD.

Regular Radio WW listeners hanging out with Ross The Boss at Call The Office 4/18/13

3. Don't Touch The Dancers...You're Girlfriend is A Slut...from the North Of The Border compilation put out by Chris from the Just Another Punk Show (Fri 8PM CHRW).

4. B10...Last Canadian Bastien...local tribute to Stompin' Tom who passed away recently.

5. Los Chicos Problema...Secuestrado En Otro Planeta...2 maniacs from Mexico!

6. The Dictators...Who Will Save Rock'n'Roll...from the New York New York LP. This is a question we've been asking for 9 years....still no answer in sight.

Manitoba at Call The Office 4/18/13

7. The Dictators...Faster and Louder...from the Bloodbrothers LP.

8. The Dictators...Young Fast and Scientific...from the Manifest Destiny LP. This was the original name of the What Wave radio show from about 79 to 82 when Al Cole was doing it and i was probably the only listener.

Manitoba at Call The Office 4/18/13

9. The Dictators...Cars And Girls...from the Go Girl Crazy LP and a personal fave.

10. Chris Houston....Einstein's Brain...new single on Schizophrenic Records outta Hamilton.

11. Wilko Johnson...Casting My Spell, 1981 7" on Nighthawk Records. And this guy kept skipping on me...

12. Uranus...Motorbikin'...from Slippery's Club Hits, the cassette that comes with What Wave 24.

Uranus at Call The Office, 10/27/12

13. The Above...Georgia Peach...brand new on Boppa Do Down Records. NYC combo on a Toronto based record label.

14. Alcohollys...recorded live at Call The Office, 7/13/12 when they opened for The Living Deadbeats. They had a CD release party at Call The Office last night.

Alcohollys at The Spoke, 10/14/11

15. B.B. Guns...Soho...recorded from Moondogs Ballroom, CIUT 2/12/13. This is Daihbid James tuesday at 5PM show on CIUT, right before Rocky and Deena's Real Cool Time show.

16. The Reply...The Reply...from the Downtown Soul EP.

The Reply at Brennan's, April 2012

17. Sam Squid...People Food...demo that features Chris Houston on vocals.

Sam Squid at This Ain't Hollywood 3/3/13

18. Panther Burns...She's The One That's Got It...from the Magnolia Curtain LP from the early 80's.

19. Joey Ramone...Maria Bartiromo...from the Don't Worry About Me CD. Joey passed away 12 years ago this week.

20. The Walnut Kids...Can't Stand 'Em...from their only single on Going Gaga Records.

The Walnut Kids, Moon Over Marin, Aug 11/2010 as part of our Powerpop Night Show.

21. Sangomas...Chopping Heads...new combo outta Montreal that went by the name Lips for a short time...feature Seb on the drums, who also played in The Walnut Kids.

22. The Gruesomes...Bloodhound...from their Tyrants of Teen Trash LP.

23. The noble Savages...Fire In The World...recent demo from this Hamilton combo.

noble Savages, Brennan's 4/21/12

24. Light Bulb Alley...Pepper Spray...from their The Sound Of Things CD on Ricochet Sound.

Light Bulb Alley, finest dressed band around at Brennan's 4/21/12

25. Royal Hangmen....Action...from their self titled debut LP on Screaming Apple Records.

26. Drivin' Beats...Twistin'...from their demo CD.

Thanks for all the crazy phone calls tonite!! As well as the emails, facebook messages and shout outs! Back again next week with more noise. All pictures used above are from the What Wave archives, please ask before using.

Here's a link to the podcast:

http://chrwradio.ca/content/radio-what-wave#prev-shows