Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• March 7, 2013 11:11 AM CST
    • Just saw the memories/white fang and colleen green last night and had a b-b-blast. So I add them to my list!

• March 6, 2013 11:31 AM CST
    • Ty Segall's early stuff sounds really Lo-Fi

Thee Oh Sees record with an old Tascam 388

A lot of the S.f. 'Positive Destruction' bands are pretty Lo-Fi.

• March 6, 2013 12:19 AM CST
    • Indeed! Tucson treats man!

• March 5, 2013 11:46 PM CST
    • sneaky pinks first 7 is holy

Ludes N. Dudes said:

Aye the clean!!
      The mantels, druggy pizza, Shaggs, the rats, and the sneaky pinks . . .

• March 5, 2013 11:40 PM CST
    • Yeah girls! Witchy fun!! Never has a hand cranked eggbeater seemed so appealing . . .

• March 5, 2013 11:34 PM CST
    • Aye the clean!!
      The mantels, druggy pizza, Shaggs, the rats, and the sneaky pinks . . .

• March 5, 2013 10:53 PM CST
    • Some local love: Deadly Lo-Fi (NC), Thick Shakes (Boston), Harmonica Lewinski (Rochester NY), Stolen Girls (Upstate NY), The Blacks (Sweden), Organs (NYC), Los Wakamanos (Japan), Shake Yell Dance (NC).

And obviously Bantam Rooster, Les Sexareenos, Hasil Adkins, & The Mummies

• March 7, 2013 7:56 AM CST
    • Hi. My name is Axel. I'm 22 male from Reykjavík Iceland. I've played with now with 4 bands and lots of sideprojects. My recent band was the retro/psych/rock/pop band The Dandelion Seeds. We're not active now but we still got one record we haven't released :S. My new project is more trashier garage-ish psych rock n roll. We call ourselves Pink Street Boys. Stay tuned!

I like lots of music. but nothing beats tough,loud,violent,trippy rock n roll.

I got a guitar wolf tattoo.

• March 7, 2013 6:25 AM CST
    • Dead Moon Forever!!

Audio Gasoline said:

Dead Moon's cover of "Parchman Farm" knocks it out of the park, especially in contrast to Mose Allison's well-known jazzified piano blues original.

• March 6, 2013 3:43 PM CST
    • I agree , I like The Blue Cheer version better than The Who , but , certainly neither of them better than Eddie Cochran. I think , if you could have asked Johnnys Thunders , Ramone , and , on a good day , Rotten , they'd have agreed Cochran laid down the foundation for Punk. Link Wray , too. Gene Vincent , Johnny Burnette Trio , handful of others. Rockabilly WAS the original Punk Rock , before Garage Punk . 70's Punk = Heavy Cochran.

Glenn Barton said:

I prefer BC'S cover to The Who's though I like The Who's also. I like Eddy's original a bit more than BC'S cover. Kinda' perfect rock and roll song.

The Fnords said:

Ah, covers; do it different or better is the guide, I believe. One of the difficult ones; Summertime Blues - Eddie Cochran or The 'Oo?

In my view, EC was the trailblazer with a brilliant song and the Who took it on a bit; they complement each other.

Going back to previous posts about Mose Allison, there's the Who's take on Young Man Blues, too.

Devo - Satisfaction. Different.

George Thorogood - Boogie Chillun. Better, maybe (but probably because of improved technology and so on).

D.

• March 5, 2013 9:24 PM CST
    • I prefer BC'S cover to The Who's though I like The Who's also. I like Eddy's original a bit more than BC'S cover. Kinda' perfect rock and roll song.

The Fnords said:

Ah, covers; do it different or better is the guide, I believe. One of the difficult ones; Summertime Blues - Eddie Cochran or The 'Oo?

In my view, EC was the trailblazer with a brilliant song and the Who took it on a bit; they complement each other.

Going back to previous posts about Mose Allison, there's the Who's take on Young Man Blues, too.

George Thorogood - Boogie Chillun. Better, maybe (but probably because of improved technology and so on).

D.

• March 5, 2013 6:22 PM CST
    • I STILL SAY THE ORIGINAL IS THE GREATEST , BECAUSE COCHRAN WAS'NT JUST A GREAT SINGER OR GUITAR PLAYER AND SONGWRITER (THOUGH HE WAS.) , HE ALSO HAD A MASTERY OF THE STUDIO , AND MULTI - TRACK RECORDING ALMOST UNHEARD OF AT THE TIME (HIS FRIEND , BUDDY HOLLY , BEING A RARE NOTEABLE EXCEPTION.). IT'S JUST A PERFECT ROCK'N'ROLL SONG , IT HAS GOOD NATURED HUMOR , BUT SPOKE TO THE TEENS WHO WERE SUFFERING THROUGH JUST WHAT THE SONG DEPICTS. IT HAS A REAL RAWNESS , YET EVERYTHING IS RIGHT IN PLACE. EDDIE TOOK CHANCES  , BUT ,IN THE END , HE LEFT NOTHING TO CHANCE......

THE WHO'S "YOUNG MAN BLUES" IS ARGUABLY EVEN BETTER THAN THEIR "SUMMERTIME BLUES". BUT ,THEY APPROACHED IT LIKE FLEETWOOD MAC MIGHT HAVE , IN 1968.

SURE , IT ROCKS OUT WITH IT'S COCK OUT , LIKE ALLISON'S NEVER DID , BUT , I WOULD'NT SAY IT'S BETTER , JUST VERY DIFFERENT. 

THE WHO'S VERSION OF "SUMMERTIME BLUES" IS GREAT , BUT , I WOULD'NT PUT IT UP AGAINST THE ORIGINAL , JUST AS I WOULD'NT PUT BLUE CHEER'S VERSION UP AGAINST THE ORIGINAL , THOUGH IT BROKE NEW GROUND , ALL OVER AGAIN.

YEAH , DEVO'S "SATISFACTION".....VERY DIFFERENT, Anybody remember seeing them debut it on SNL?  But , I never liked Devo enough to buy one of their albums (I found the "Social Fools" single on Stiff for 50 cents , tho'). I liked them more in High School. Jagger himself said it was the best version he'd heard in a long time , but........I would'nt say it's the better of the two.

I'd never say ANY version of "Boogie Chillun" (Not even John Fred !) beats the original , tho' my favorite was the prototype version released by Hooker as "Walkin' The Boogie".

I think Thorogood meant well , but , I could never take him that seriously. For Honky Blues Devils , I'd say I prefer Peter Green , Tony McPhee , Eric Burdon , Van Morrisson (With THEM , of course.) , Tony Joe White , Doug Sahm , and even John Mayall.

• March 5, 2013 4:42 PM CST
    • Ah, covers; do it different or better is the guide, I believe. One of the difficult ones; Summertime Blues - Eddie Cochran or The 'Oo?

D.

• March 5, 2013 2:11 PM CST
    •   That's really cool. I've had two bands cover my songs. I'm biased in my own favor , but , I was amazed that anybody would do such a thing...... 

D. A. Anguiano said:

The Hex Dispensers covered a song I wrote called 'I'm a Ghost' and killed it. It's better than the original by miles. :)

/tootsownhorn

• March 7, 2013 2:23 AM CST
    • Walking Tall! Leif Cunt i.e. Leif Pusser.

• March 6, 2013 3:36 PM CST
    • "Some girls in a club asked me what I did.   I said , I used to be a Male Prostitute". They said , "Really? What's your name ?
        "Simon Le Bon"     Marc Almond.

Andy Climax said:

Leif Garrett??? He's a cunt! Barry Gibb

• March 6, 2013 3:34 PM CST
    • A FANNY IN THE ENGLISH SENSE ! HERE , HERE.   ROKY HAS ALREADY SPENT WAY TOO MUCH TIME IN JAIL. PUT LEIF IN A PADDED CELL WITH JUST HIS OWN VIDEOS AND RECORDS TO KEEP HIM PREOCCUPIED , SEE HOW LONG HE LASTS.

Andy Climax said:

haha. He was on one of those gawd awful reality (check) programmes over here recently. I hate those fuckin' things. I don't know what he was there to achieve and I doubt he even knew really. Car crash telly at its worst. Even his rawk'n'roll stories were shit! Stick him an Roky in a cell together for the night and good luck to him. Wot a fanny (British translation of the word) haha

John Battles said:

HAVE TO AGREE , THERE. I SAW ON TV , WHERE SOME WOMAN PUT HERSELF ON THE LINE BY ADMITTING SHE WAS STILL A LEIF GARRETT FAN
      SOME 30 YEARS AFTER THEY STAMPED "HASBEEN" ON HIS FOREHEAD. SHE PRESENTED HIM WITH A CLAY BUST OF HIS HEAD THAT SHE'D MADE IN THE 70'S. HE REFUSED IT. 

EVEN SHAUN CASSIDY AND TIMOTHY VAN PATTEN STILL HAVE CAREERS IN SHOW BUSINESS. APART FROM EFFECTIVELY PARODYING GUYS JUST LIKE HIM IN "SPIRIT OF '76" , WHAT THE HELL HAS HE DONE SINCE JIMMY CARTER STEPPED DOWN FROM THE PRESIDENCY ?  I MET A GIRL BACK IN JUNIOR HIGH WHO TOLD ME SHE RAN INTO GARRETT BEFORE A SHOW. "DO YOU PUT YOUR PANTS ON..." , SHE ASKED HIM , "OR DO THEY PAINT THEM ON ?!!".
      Andy Climax said:

Leif Garrett??? He's a cunt! Barry Gibb

• March 6, 2013 3:31 PM CST
    • Was this YOU? That's a riot. I THINK.

Ludes N. Dudes said:

Ginger Baker, I'm delighted to meet you.

Yeah? I'm not very good at interviews.

Oh well, can we discuss your musical past? Your first instrument was the trumpet...

Naaah, not really.

But you played it a bit, didn't you?

When I was in the Air Cadets, yeah. I wanted to play the drums but they told me I had to play the trumpet.

What was the appeal of the drums in the first place?

I couldn't stand it. I thought it was the most stupid fucking instrument ever in the world, so I didn't want to have anything to do with it ever. And I never have.

I was asking about the drums not the trumpet.

I was talking about the drums. That's what I just fucking told you. I'm an actor, I'm not a drummer.

Do 'Toad! Ginger!

• March 6, 2013 12:15 AM CST
    • Ginger Baker, I'm delighted to meet you.

Yeah? I'm not very good at interviews.

Oh well, can we discuss your musical past? Your first instrument was the trumpet...

Naaah, not really.

But you played it a bit, didn't you?

When I was in the Air Cadets, yeah. I wanted to play the drums but they told me I had to play the trumpet.

What was the appeal of the drums in the first place?

I couldn't stand it. I thought it was the most stupid fucking instrument ever in the world, so I didn't want to have anything to do with it ever. And I never have.

I was asking about the drums not the trumpet.

I was talking about the drums. That's what I just fucking told you. I'm an actor, I'm not a drummer.

Do 'Toad! Ginger!

• March 6, 2013 2:00 PM CST
    • DOWNLOAD | SUBSCRIBE | SUBSCRIBE TO ALL | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | BLOGSPOT

Watcha WEIRD OHS! I'm Mr A the Barber and this is HIPSVILLE hip-shakers vol. 52 of YOU GOT GOOD TASTE

3 Minutes Heavy - Time Keepers
      Devil With a Blue Dress On/Good Golly Miss Molly - Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels
      Clap Your Hands - The Ambertones
      I Do The Jerk - Bill Pinkney
      Everybody's Going Wild - International Kansas City Playboys
      Go Go Power - Sugar Pie DeSanto
      Upset The Town - Luther Thomas
      Everybody Dance - Lydia Marcelle
      Watchdog - Dorothy Williams
      Just How Much - The Kollettes
      Watermelon Man - Karin Krogh & The Public Enemies
      Bright Sounds - Big Moose & The Jams
      Rooster Knees and Rice - Clarence and Calvin
      Limbo Twist- Wailers
      Louie Louie - Travis Wammack
      Take a Trip - Johnny Vick & The Victors
      I'm Gonna Put A Watch On You - Ruby Dee
      Right Now - Ray Scott & The Scottsmen
      You Can't Hide - Lulu Reed & Freddie King
      Star Revue - Warren Lee
      Karate Boo Ga Loo - Jerry O
      Modesty - The 7th Son & The Rock In Airs
      Shake And Vibrate - Sir Latimore
      Soul Dance Number 3 - Pervis LaVawn & The Commanders
      Charge - Dreams Band

Thanks for listening, see you next time Weird ohs!

• March 6, 2013 9:13 AM CST
    • February Epi-sode of Acid Drop. Trailer got lost. Background carped too. Should fix a new one for the next show anyhows.

++ Preview to THE PRETTY THINGS Concert in Switzerland

Here's the Playlist for your convenience:

It's cold outside     -    Poison Ivy

It's cold outside              -    The Choir

Blue Ice                         -     The Litter

Why Me?                       -     The Gruesomes

Girl you're on my mind      - The Cynics

Wothless Weekend Clique - The Caravans

Rosalyn                         - The Pretty Things

Road Runner                  -  The Pretty Things

Pretty Thing                  -  Stove Pipe No. 4

I'm Looking for a Woman  -  Bo Diddley

Someone else's fool        -  The Royal Hangmen

She's gone                    - The Young Strangers

Don't you leave              - Tee Set

Garbageman                  - The Cramps

Pop Pills                        - The Cramps

Faces                           - TC Atlantic

She's Wicked                  - The Fuzztones

Rockinroller                    - The Shit (incl. Brother Panti Christ, FUCK YEAH!)

Infected with You           - The Miracle Workers

I didn't post the last two epi-sodes. Butt they're still available on the radioindustrie.com web-site. Down-Stream that shit boyyyyyyyyyyy!!!

• March 6, 2013 5:26 AM CST
    • I felt like this will be 2013's Loutallica. Aghhhhhhhh. I wanted to like the single. 

• March 5, 2013 5:59 PM CST
    • Thank you to our friends in The UK and on The Continent for embracing true greatness in American music , where Americans seldom do. The Cramps always had a following in the states , but , were still playing small clubs in the early 80's , by which time they were playing big theatres and auditoriums in Europe. People think of The Cramps as being BIG , but , they were'nt really a big draw , across the board , until the 1990 tour , if not possibly the 1986 tour (Which skipped Dallas , where I lived at the time , so I don't have that perspective .).....In the 80's ,most people I asked about THE CRAMPS SAID "Dont like 'em" or "Never heard of 'em.". I can recall just three Cramps nights in the clubs in Chicago , in the past 25 years , and one was after Lux's ascension. But , then again . I can also remember only three for The Ramones. One after Joey passed on , another about 15 years earlier , and , another , still , where The DJ refused to play any Ramones music at all !

A few makeshift bands have performed as The Cramps on Hallowe'en , with The Dyes making it an annual thing. But ,the idea of a big LIFE celebration for Lux , with several bands .....seems a tragic impossibility.

• March 5, 2013 4:54 PM CST
    • There are commemorations of his death (life, more like...) every year in Edinburgh and Glasgow - the Edinburgh one was last weekend and was the first one of either of them over the years that I (personally) haven't played at. We (the band) played in Glasgow, though.

D.