Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• March 3, 2013 7:45 PM CST
    • I RETRACT THAT NON - FACT....The Electric Prunes did a great version of "Smokestack Lightning".....on the "Live , Stockholm '67 album" , with a great turnaround , and would'nt you know , James Lowe's timely advice to an audience already, no doubt,  smoking their brains out , " IF YOU CAN'T DRINK.....THEN YOU OUGHT TO SMOKE.".....

John Battles said:

i THINK YOU'LL WIN THAT BET. I HEARD "SMOKESTACK LIGHTNING" BY THE YARDBIRDS , FIRST , THINKING THAT IT SOUNDED A LOT LIKE "PRIMITIVE" BY THE CRAMPS" , NOT YET AWARE OF HOWLIN' WOLF'S ORIGINAL VERSION OF THE FORMER , AND THE GROUPIES' ORIGINAL VERSION OF THE LATTER.....I CAN'T EVEN THINK OF ANY OTHER VERSIONS OF "SMOKESTACK LIGHTNING" , OFFHAND ........ IN THE STATES , THE CHESS RECORDS CATALOGUE WAS OUT OF PRINT UNTIL 1984 , AND , EVEN THEN , THE OBVIOUS STUFF LIKE CHUCK , BO , WOLF AND MUDDY WAS SLOW IN ARRIVING.

Tersicore said:

Well, since most of us grown up with R´n´R, Rock, Punk and so on, i guess is not too difficult to find more appealing versions of some old Jazz, Folk or old R´n´B songs. 
      We may have heard in most cases the cover earlier than the original one,  
      or maybe never heard the original at all. 

Personally i´d be more curious about comparing songs which were both, original and cover, quasi contemporary, or from not so extremely different musical genre.
      What do you think?

BUT: I´ll spend a beer to anyone who comes with a better version of the original "Smokestack Lightning" by Howling´Wolf! ;)

• March 2, 2013 7:09 PM CST
    • Gary "US" Bonds did a version, but I don't think it's what you're looking for... still pretty ok though in a 70s honky tonk rock kind of way.

Gary "US" Bonds "From A Buick 6"

Nice find on the harmonica-intro version, I like the way it sets-off the track. Record digger's tip: the original stereo pressing of "Highway 61 Revisited" will always have the word "Nonbreakable" on the labels, to the left of the center hole. Later pressings will not have this word at all. A good way to know as you're flipping through stacks that you've got a first pressing with the rare track. The first Canadian release also has this mispressing: the "360 Sound" text is white on US copies and black on Canadian copies.

dave said:

Has anyone done a cover of Dylan's "From A Buick 6"? Seems like it would be cool when done by some Gories-type band.

Here is something I did not know existed:

Bob Dylan - From A Buick 6 (Alternate) [vinyl]

The very first stereo copies of Highway 61 Revisited were mistaken pressed with an alternate version of From A Buick 6.

• March 2, 2013 6:38 PM CST
    • I think we'll both stick with the one we heard first.

Mike Humsgreen said:

I was going to mention the Magnet cover. Although the steel guitar is really good on the original. But I heard the Magnet cover first and find the Dylan version doesn't really fit to the lyrics because of that. After hearing the cover it just has to be a soppy love song.

Glenn Barton said:

I love "Lay Lady Lay" but a lot of that has to do with the killer pedal steel guitar and the reverb attached to it!

• March 2, 2013 6:12 PM CST
    • I was going to mention the Magnet cover. Although the steel guitar is really good on the original. But I heard the Magnet cover first and find the Dylan version doesn't really fit to the lyrics because of that. After hearing the cover it just has to be a soppy love song.

Glenn Barton said:

I love "Lay Lady Lay" but a lot of that has to do with the killer pedal steel guitar and the reverb attached to it!

• March 2, 2013 2:56 PM CST
    • Has anyone done a cover of Dylan's "From A Buick 6"? Seems like it would be cool when done by some Gories-type band.

Here is something I did not know existed:

Bob Dylan - From A Buick 6 (Alternate) [vinyl]

The very first stereo copies of Highway 61 Revisited were mistaken pressed with an alternate version of From A Buick 6.

• March 2, 2013 1:37 PM CST
    • i THINK YOU'LL WIN THAT BET. I HEARD "SMOKESTACK LIGHTNING" BY THE YARDBIRDS , FIRST , THINKING THAT IT SOUNDED A LOT LIKE "PRIMITIVE" BY THE CRAMPS" , NOT YET AWARE OF HOWLIN' WOLF'S ORIGINAL VERSION OF THE FORMER , AND THE GROUPIES' ORIGINAL VERSION OF THE LATTER.....I CAN'T EVEN THINK OF ANY OTHER VERSIONS OF "SMOKESTACK LIGHTNING" , OFFHAND ........ IN THE STATES , THE CHESS RECORDS CATALOGUE WAS OUT OF PRINT UNTIL 1984 , AND , EVEN THEN , THE OBVIOUS STUFF LIKE CHUCK , BO , WOLF AND MUDDY WAS SLOW IN ARRIVING.

Tersicore said:

Well, since most of us grown up with R´n´R, Rock, Punk and so on, i guess is not too difficult to find more appealing versions of some old Jazz, Folk or old R´n´B songs. 
      We may have heard in most cases the cover earlier than the original one,  
      or maybe never heard the original at all. 

Personally i´d be more curious about comparing songs which were both, original and cover, quasi contemporary, or from not so extremely different musical genre.
      What do you think?

BUT: I´ll spend a beer to anyone who comes with a better version of the original "Smokestack Lightning" by Howling´Wolf! ;)

• March 2, 2013 10:14 AM CST
    • I'm not the beating kind. Just threw "Positively" out there because I heard it recently (on dishnet xm underground garage I think) and it's one I like but couldn't think of covers for it. I'll have to listen to J. Rivers version again. In general I agree.. Dylan covers are mostly better than the originals. I love "Lay Lady Lay" but a lot of that has to do with the killer pedal steel guitar and the reverb attached to it!

Tersicore said:

Don´t get me wrong. Dylan is a really great singer-songwriter, i recognize it myself, but how can i say it? When i hear most of his songs i get kind of bored, are somehow too lame, sluggish, to me. But they do are great songs and that´s why i think it may be possible if not even easy, to make some better covers of one of his songs.

@Glenn Burton, "Positively 4th Street"? Don´t beat me but personally i don´t like this song, though the cover by Johnny Rivers is not that boring to me as the original.

Audio Gasoline said:

I remember reading somewhere that the only cover of his that Dylan liked (of all the covers of his songs) was Jimi's version of "All Along The Watchtower". John, I have to mention one small factoid in your Dylan post: "Turn, Turn, Turn" was a Pete Seeger song (the words were from the Bible, but he wrote the music and did the main arrangement). Dylan in his early years did some bitchin' covers in his own right, especially of traditional blues and gospel standards. Half of his first album were cover songs. (Disclaimer: I'm a fan of "Classic Dylan", and lose interest somewhere around "Blonde On Blonde".... except for "Desire", that album rules.)

Tersicore said:

ha ha, somehow i got the feeling that is not really hard to make a good cover of a Dylan song, sorry! ;D

• March 2, 2013 3:55 AM CST
    • Don´t get me wrong. Dylan is a really great singer-songwriter, i recognize it myself, but how can i say it? When i hear most of his songs i get kind of bored, are somehow too lame, sluggish, to me. But they do are great songs and that´s why i think it may be possible if not even easy, to make some better covers of one of his songs.

@Glenn Burton, "Positively 4th Street"? Don´t beat me but personally i don´t like this song, though the cover by Johnny Rivers is not that boring to me as the original.

Audio Gasoline said:

I remember reading somewhere that the only cover of his that Dylan liked (of all the covers of his songs) was Jimi's version of "All Along The Watchtower". John, I have to mention one small factoid in your Dylan post: "Turn, Turn, Turn" was a Pete Seeger song (the words were from the Bible, but he wrote the music and did the main arrangement). Dylan in his early years did some bitchin' covers in his own right, especially of traditional blues and gospel standards. Half of his first album were cover songs. (Disclaimer: I'm a fan of "Classic Dylan", and lose interest somewhere around "Blonde On Blonde".... except for "Desire", that album rules.)

Tersicore said:

ha ha, somehow i got the feeling that is not really hard to make a good cover of a Dylan song, sorry! ;D

• March 3, 2013 6:19 PM CST
    • Bleached

The Beets

Woolen Kits

• March 2, 2013 2:30 PM CST
    • Wow, what an unfortunate incident! Other than their names and their music I know very little about them so thanks for that insight into the less than glamorous side of lo-fi rock n' roll! Does your distaste now extend to all Dan Kroha outfits?

kopper said:

Meh. Dollrods suck. They played in St. Louis several years ago and were too unimpressed with our pizza joint/southside bar venue to give a rat's ass about us, so why should I give a rat's ass about them? As they were setting up, they realized they were missing one 
      of their bags that contained their stage costumes (pasties, special panties, etc.). We waited a LONG time for them to start... maybe an hour? Something like that. You could tell they were pissed. They were mostly hanging outside the club, yapping away on cell phones, complaining about everything and in real foul moods. They even had a dog with them (who the fuck takes a dog with them on tour?) and were playing with it or whatever out on the sidewalk. They didn't like the bar and they weren't at all happy about the crowd (it was an unusually small turnout, even for a weeknight, but especially for a weekend). So they finally took the stage a little after Midnight and played maybe 5 or 6 songs... really short set. If it was more than 20 minutes I'd be really surprised. Everyone was pretty surprised when they just suddenly stopped, put down their instruments, and disconnected their shit. No "thanks for coming," "sorry we can't play anymore cuz we don't have our costumes," nothing. It'll be a cold day in Hell that I ever go see them again!

Boaby Digital said:

Demolition Doll Rods 'On' is an album I never tire of hearing. I'd love to see them come back for more sometime.

• March 3, 2013 3:28 PM CST
    • I have nothing but unbridled admiration for you, sir.

Matt said:

I've never ever been on Facebook. I have a band that does fine without it. I also seem to know about shows, parties, and I am able to keep in contact with my friends all without the help of Facebook.

• March 3, 2013 3:23 PM CST
    • I've never ever been on Facebook. I have a band that does fine without it. I also seem to know about shows, parties, and I am able to keep in contact with my friends all without the help of Facebook.

• March 3, 2013 3:15 PM CST
    • I don't even take liking seriously on FB. I feel stupid asking for likes for our band. I should do more campaigning and after seeing some other posts on this topic, I will. We only have 66 likes but are doing well gig-wise. We would probably do better with more likes. Check out our videos on our website and youtube. If you like them, I mean truely like them, feel free to like us on Facebook. It will probably help the cause.  If you don't like us, well, obviosly, don't like us. If you think the whole like system is weird and you don't care for it, don't give it a second thought... Irwin Zucker- promotion in motion. You can click on my page and find our website. Don't think I should post it here, just in case guidelines...

• March 3, 2013 12:53 PM CST
    • I'm sure that's true in some cases but we have a lot of rabid 60s fans who seek out bands like us because of the music we play. Often repeated comment: I love you guys because you play different stuff from most 60s bands. I have to give them credit because a lot of them are their specifically for the music. If they like you, you know how to treat them, everyone has a good time, it all helps. I think a lot of our fans are more like the serious people on this list, just not as knowledgeable about the depth of great 60s music out there. We are turning them on to some here and there and so far, they like it just about as much as the hits they know. Total props to them for that. I think these types of fans may be an exception because of the die-hard love for 60s. I'm sure their are pockets of fans like that for many other genres, too. Seem to be prevalent with 60s. I am also a fan and will drive a long way to see fave local 60s act. I know exactly where they are comin' from. 

G. Wood said:

The main thing is still to play out a lot and be good. Social media helps in that it introduces you to people, if they like you, if you charm them, they become predisposed to liking your music. Because most people--present company excluded, I'm sure!--don't really care as much about the music itself as being part of something that's trendy, or feeling a sense of group membership. Hence the "likes." And it still helps to be sexy.  

• March 3, 2013 11:44 AM CST
    • Yep, it's rough out there.

B.B. Fultz said:

All of which is probably true. And pretty sad really.

G. Wood said:

The main thing is still to play out a lot and be good. Social media helps in that it introduces you to people, if they like you, if you charm them, they become predisposed to liking your music. Because most people--present company excluded, I'm sure!--don't really care as much about the music itself as being part of something that's trendy, or feeling a sense of group membership. Hence the "likes." And it still helps to be sexy.  

• March 3, 2013 11:16 AM CST
    • All of which is probably true. And pretty sad really.

G. Wood said:

• March 3, 2013 8:32 AM CST
    • The main thing is still to play out a lot and be good. Social media helps in that it introduces you to people, if they like you, if you charm them, they become predisposed to liking your music. Because most people--present company excluded, I'm sure!--don't really care as much about the music itself as being part of something that's trendy, or feeling a sense of group membership. Hence the "likes." And it still helps to be sexy.  

• March 2, 2013 8:47 PM CST
    • Let's see....I hear with my little ear:

"Gotta be a skookie" (what's that?) ...."get my bong".. "Is your mother hi, call me in the road." "Fish can talk to me bony" and I distinctly hear.."pooh-pooh brown" and "Give me all your rock" ....and of course "get on baby, get on"

Yeah, I think that's what they said.

Axel said:

But what I really wanna know is...what is he singing? The mighty Hurriganes!!!

• March 2, 2013 1:27 PM CST
    • OF COURSE , WHEN THAT SONG CAME OUT ,YODA WAS'NT EVEN A GLEAM IN GEORGE LUCAS' EYE , SOMEWHERE BETWEEN ALTAMONT AND THX1138.....

I THOUGHT IT WAS FUNNY , TOO. THANK YOU FOR SAYING HA HA HA INSTEAD OF LOL , TOO.

b0nes tra5hyf said:

Ha ha ha

John Battles said:

"Oh , Yoda , I'm loaded."   "Oh no , dear , oh , no dear" (?)

"John , I'm Only Dancing" - David Bowie.     Thanks to Chris Morris.

• March 2, 2013 1:24 PM CST
    • I meant to say"Is closing tightly". I should be ready enough to remember , when I can name 3 versions ,INCLUDING THE ORIGINAL , and I should be able to name about 100.....

John Battles said:

"YOU START WALKING TOWARD ME , AND MY GLUE COMES ALL UNDONE"

"....MY COOL COMES ALL UNDONE. " - "Get Me To The World on Time" , Electric Prunes.

" i HATE TO SEE YOU SHINING SO BRIGHT YEAH , NEW SURROUNDINGS , HOLD ME TIGHTLTY"   

" MY XKE IS SHINING SO BRIGHTLY. THE NOOSE AROUND US IS HOLDING TIGHTLY."

THE WHO "CALL ME LIGHTNING".

• March 2, 2013 10:46 AM CST
    • Ha ha ha

John Battles said:

"Oh , Yoda , I'm loaded."   "Oh no , dear , oh , no dear" (?)

"John , I'm Only Dancing" - David Bowie.     Thanks to Chris Morris.

• March 2, 2013 9:43 AM CST
    • Radio What Wave Playlist Feb 28/2013

Our first 90m long show in a month and there's a ton of stuff to play....

1. 63 Monroe...At The Boot...from the cassette, Slippery's Club Hits, that comes with What Wave 24.

63 Monroe at The Cedar, fall 1981

2. Johnny Terrien and the Bad Lieutenants....El Camino...recorded live at Call The Office 7/27/12. JT will be playing at Brennan's tonite.

Johnny Terrien and the Bad Lieutenants at Black Shire Pub 11/14/08

3. The Zellots....Do Me A Favour....recorded live at Call The Office 10/27/12 as part of our Graphic Underground: London 1977-1990 art opening.

The Zellots playing at a street fair, August 1980

4. The Enemas...Picture Yourself At Guelph....as above.

5. The Scenics...Oh Boy...from their latest CD, Dead Man Walks Down Bayview.

6. Bloodshot Bill...Honky Tonky Angel...recorded live at CHRW 5/25/07 as part of Less Talk More Rock, a punk show that used to air on CHRW. The person talking, Paul, was the host of Less Talk. 

Bloodshot Bill playing live on CHRW.....5/25/07

7. Bloodshot Bill...16 Chicks...as above. Bloodshot Bill will be playing at This Ain't Hollywood in Hamilton on Sunday Mar 3rd, as part of the monthly garage fest, Kissin' The Carpet.

8. Bloodshot Bill...King Slut...from the Dig It Up LP from 2005.

BB live at The Victoria, 7/12/08

9. The Firejacks...Tell That Woman...from the Full Blast LP, BB sang and drummed for The Firejacks.

10. The Ding Dongs...Ding Dong Party...from their 2010 LP on Norton Records. The Ding Dongs are Bloodshot Bill and Mark Sultan, who will also be appearing on sunday's show.

11. BBQ...Outta My Mind...from the Tie Your Noose CD on Bomp Records 2005.

12. Les Sexareenos...Wild Wild Wild...from the SFTRI LP  Live In The Bed, 2000. Mark Sultan drums and sings on this one.

13. King Khan and BBQ Show...Pretty Plaid Skirt...from the 3 sided LP on In The Red Records.

14. The Standstills....Black Betty...from the Human Element CD. They are playing Call The Office tonite.

The Standstills at Black Shire Pub, 3/27/09 as part of Battle Of The 2 Piece Bands Part 2

15. The Royal Hangmen...Irresistible Girl...from their self titled debut LP on Screaming Apple Records. Swiss garagepunks.

16. The Hypnotics...Holiday In The City....recorded live at Grooves Records 11/3/12.

17. The Evil Eyes...Jerry Lee VS The Wolfman...from their only 7"...and they are also supposed to be playing Kissin' The Carpet this sunday, but in a 2 piece version.

18. Cheap Thrills...You Make Me Wanna....from their self titled 10" record. They were in town at Call The Office last night.

19. Cheap Thrills...21...as above.

20. Chris Hart...Burn This City...from the Rock & Roll Revelation CD.

21. The Kickstands...Scrambler...from a compilation LP called Boss Drag '64. Not much info on the LP, but it appears to be from Argentina. Jon Traut phoned in during this one, and he was speeding down the 401 from Toronto, so we cranked the instros for Jon!

22. The Gruesomes....Bikers From Hell....from the Tyrants Of Teen Trash LP, re-ished on Groovie Records from Greece.

23. Deuce Coupes...Gear Masher...also from Boss Drag '64 LP.

24. The Night Raiders...Cotton Pickin'....from Strummin' Mental Volume 3 compilation LP. Somewhere around here, i started talking not realizing the record was still playing...it wouldn't be a Radio WW without a ton of fuckups!

25. Boy From Nowhere...Heartful of Soul....from Slippery's Club Hits the cassette that comes with WW 24.

What Wave 24.....over 100 pages!!!

Thanx for the phone-ins, emails, messages etc....back again next week with more noise to annoy.

I'll be at Kissin' The Carpet, at This Ain't Hollywood on sunday. I'll be selling the latest edition of What Wave at the garage sale starting at 6PM.

All photos from the What Wave archives...please DO NOT Reproduce without permission.

Here's a link to the podcast:

http://chrwradio.ca/content/radio-what-wave#prev-shows