Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• March 13, 2013 7:26 AM CDT
    • First off, welcome to the Hideout Personality Crisis. I just need to quickly inform you guys that I had to close two discussions about Female Fronted Garage Punk. The member that was causing much of the problem is not with us anymore so I'm pretty confident we can give this a third try. Just keep it clean and on-subject (Garage Punk).

• March 12, 2013 10:36 PM CDT
    • First off, it's amazing how many bands from outside the us are doing such great music but I've been wondering, what's going on with the local american scene? are there any new bands worth checking out? are there any female fronted bands out there? Also I would like to know if there are The Cramps-style bands out there or not and if its possible can anyone direct me to garage rock/punk bands who are kind of scary and b-movie monster like?

I'd really appreciate all your help people. I know I'm new and shouldn't be doing this kind of post but I'm really eager to discover more music.

• March 12, 2013 10:28 PM CDT
    • Hi everybody, my name is Alvaro, I'm from Chile and I've known this website for about 3 years now, but just recently I took the courage to become a member.

I do a lot of reading (sometimes play videogames too although I suck at them), listen to music and one of my favourite bands is by far the Cramps, I'm currently broke and looking of a job.

To be honest I didn't know much about garage rock and garage punk but it was the Sonics who got my attention with their "strychnine" but the more I got into these genres of music the more I liked it, and hopefully I will meet here good people who will point me in the right direction.

Stay sick!

• March 12, 2013 11:04 AM CDT
    • Hi Bazza...do you still have a program on ModRadio?

Marv Gellman, Beachnuts drummer/singer--Iconoclastic Life, Nature's Company

• March 12, 2013 6:29 PM CDT
    •  I'm partial to T.Tex Edwards' version , partly because he was one of the first people to cover it , that I know of , and mainly because he did a great job , without relying too heavily on the original. Southern Culture on The Skids did a really good verson , too.  Wanda was'nt aware the song had  a "Cult" following until she started touring again , and people began requesting it. I like The remake with The Cramps , but , for me , you can't beat the original , it has everything . That's Roy Clark doing the proto - psychedelic "Eastern" guitar .

• March 12, 2013 5:10 PM CDT
    • Hey! This Born Bad series are awesome!! Cheers

Dead Boy said:

When I found that video of Tav Falco, I didn't know (remember) who played the original, but I just thought that I've heard that tune by someone somewhere.  I didn't even know who is Wanda Jackson (except her name), but now I found why I've heard it, because I have "Born Bad" volume one!!!

Tersicore said:

@Dead Boy, would be the Tav Falco your favorite? :)

• March 12, 2013 11:46 AM CDT
    • When I found that video of Tav Falco, I didn't know (remember) who played the original, but I just thought that I've heard that tune by someone somewhere.  I didn't even know who is Wanda Jackson (except her name), but now I found why I've heard it, because I have "Born Bad" volume one!!!

Tersicore said:

• March 11, 2013 7:58 PM CDT
    • Another song which is been covered to death is "Funnel of Love". Such a killer song!!
      Extremely hard to say which is the best version or best cover. 
      The original? Maybe unbeatable!  Or the one with Lux and Ivy?
      I love the one from The Fall as well!  So a great version!
      God! There are so many fantastic covers!..  Any favorite out there?

• March 11, 2013 7:25 PM CDT
    • You right!
      I admit i had to peep in youtube to hear at the original again, but no dubt, the UKJ cover is just great!. 

Korsy said:

When it comes to covers, this will always remain one of my favorites.

• March 11, 2013 7:10 PM CDT
    • Yeah, probably i´ve just mix up the title..

My memory is loused up, sometime.
      For decades i´ve been thinking i´ve seen Nirvana only once in Chicago ´91 and just recently i discovered that they came to play ´89 in the place i was working in Berlin and on top of that, we were sleeping in the same flat and having party together.. just gone! :(

John Battles said:

i COULD SEE THE CRAMPS DOING "JUNGLE"....We are all faltering , somehow , in our musical memories. I'm sure I saw some great bands , some that became well - known , but , beats me who they were.

Tersicore said:

Upppssss!!!
      Why i thought the Cramps did cover this song?? Shit!, no idea!   (Ok..maybe just smoked too much back then...or getting old lately?). They didn´t!  ;D  but Gun Club did, for sure!!! In Miami, and how!!!  

Yeah, 8 eyed spy were special!! but missed Rudi and Lydia together, somehow....

John Battles said:

THAT WAS KIND OF A JOKE , BECAUSE "STRAY CAT STRUT" DOES SOUND LIKE IT WAS LIFTED DIRECTLY FROM " BLANK GENERATION". DID GUN CLUB DO "RUN THROUGH THE JUNGLE " , TOO? I'VE NEVER HEARD OF THE CRAMPS DOING IT.....LUX WAS A BIG CCR FAN  , THOUGH. EIGHT EYED SPY (W/LYDIA LUNCH) DID SOME COOL COVERS , LIKE "LIGHTNING'S GIRL" (NANCY SINATRA) , MAINTAINING MY COOL (SONICS) , DIDDY WAH DIDDY (CAPT. BEEFHEART'S VERSION.) , TOO. YOU KNOW , RUDI BRIEFLY PLAYED IN A MORE BLUESEY BAND CALLED THE DEVIL DOGS WITH LYDIA.  I THINK THEY ONLY DID A EUROPEAN TOUR. I'VE NEVER HEARD OF ANY RECORDINGS TURNING UP.

• March 11, 2013 7:10 PM CDT
    • When it comes to covers, this will always remain one of my favorites.

• March 12, 2013 2:12 PM CDT
    • That's just so funny.

Jarkko Immonen said:

Haven't read the whole thread so dunno if this one's been posted already. Be as it may, one of my favorite punk moments ever (from the Joe Strummer documentary):

Joe Strummer talking to the camera, backstage, pointing at passed out Bernie Rhodes:

"Look, that's the man who invented punk. Obviously it was too much for him."

• March 12, 2013 12:55 PM CDT
    • Haven't read the whole thread so dunno if this one's been posted already. Be as it may, one of my favorite punk moments ever (from the Joe Strummer documentary):

Joe Strummer talking to the camera, backstage, pointing at passed out Bernie Rhodes:

"Look, that's the man who invented punk. Obviously it was too much for him."

• March 12, 2013 1:05 PM CDT
    • I couldn't really form any sort of opinion based on the clip. Could be great, but sure, more likely to fall in the "mmkay..." category, sad to say. Here's hoping for the former...  

Brit Jean said:

I felt like this will be 2013's Loutallica. Aghhhhhhhh. I wanted to like the single. 

• March 12, 2013 12:26 PM CDT
    • I am very PA but you know I was not referring to you.  You are a terrific leader.  I'll never forget what you said before we went on stage at Chicago.  It pulled everyone together as a unit, giving us confidence and we subsequently played a great set to start off an equally great tour.  I'm honored to have been a part of it.

• March 12, 2013 5:31 AM CDT
    • or.......who is the most passive aggressive, the rhythm guitarist or bass player?

• March 12, 2013 5:25 AM CDT
    • Wobbly Lamps second 7" is now available, check out my post in Trading Post for more info. They are also playing day three of the London Garage Fest on 31st March for Dirty Water.

• March 12, 2013 4:28 AM CDT
    • Check out these guys:

http://lospepes.bandcamp.com

Kinda like Protex meets the Dead Boys. So on the Punk end of Garage

They're playing London soon too:

• March 12, 2013 1:58 AM CDT
    • Coming vinyl 7" with 4 duos from different countries of the world:
      Chiquita y Chatarra (Spain), Horror Deluxe (Brazil), The Suck's (Colombia) and Los Chicos Problema (Mexico), released under the mexican label Veneno Records.
      Design and Illustration by Mario Labate
      Produced by Geovanni Chavez and Ana Galicia
      Soon!! available in black, white and transparent.
      For pre, orders,information:
      info@venenorecords.com
      info.rockduos@gmail.com

• March 11, 2013 11:51 PM CDT
    • YES!!!!

• March 11, 2013 11:07 PM CDT
    • The initial artists set to play The Ponderosa Stomp were just announced.

Of most interest to many folks here are The Standells and The Sloths. It's no secret The Sloths are kicking ass and taking names , raising the bar for reformed (As opposed to Orthodox) Garage bands. The somewhat recently revamped Standells lineup was a bit of a mystery to me.  I'd seen some live footage (Hi , Derek !) , but , did'nt know if anyone , barring Larry Tamblyn , would be appearing at this concert , from the original Standells. Turns out (Yes , I'm sure a lot of you know this, but for those who don't....) , Dick Dodd is back with the group, as is , surprisingly enough , John Fleckenstein , early Bassist for Love , and , later Bassist with The Standells. Fleckenstein went on to become an in - demand Cinematographer (His work includes "Jaws" ), this is the first I've heard of him returning to music.

Ty Wagner of "Slander" and "I'm a No Count" infamy , brings the Back From The Grave alumni (no) count to two . This may be the first time that's happened .

Otherwise , the lineup includes genius Rockabilly/Hot Jazz Guitarist , Charlie Gracie .

Gracie is better known for his Pop/Rockabilly hits like "Fabulous" and "99 Ways".

Maxine Brown , Baby Washington , Richard Carlton , Chris Clark , Richard Caiton , Charles Brimmer, James Alexander , Lynn August , George Perkins , Guanga Dyns , Gino Parks , Spencer Wiggins , Sonny Green , Bobby ("Barefootin'") Parker , Bobby Crown , Eddie Daniels , and Boogaloo (As in Boogaloo and His Gallant Crew ? We can only hope.

THIS IS THE FIRST RUN OF CONFIRMED ACTS . THERE'S  SURE TO BE PLENTY MORE.

Go to  newsletters@ponderosastompfoundation.org  TO GET ON THE MAILING LIST.

• March 11, 2013 3:56 PM CDT
    • Show #412: "The Eggman Collection #131" playlist:

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - "Autumn's Child"
      Cherry People - "Imagination"
      Wings - "Let 'Em In"
      Shiver - "Alpha Man"
      The Beach Boys - "I Can Hear Music"
      Archimedes Badkar - "Jorden (The Earth)/Charmante Yerevan"
      The Byrds - "Lady Friend"
      Mogollar - "Halicte Gunesin Batisi"
      Tommy James & The Shondells - "Kathleen McArthur"
      Kraftwerk - "Ruckzuck"
      William Penn Fyve - "Swami"
      Kansas - "Greek Structure Sunbeam"
      Love - "Gather Round"
      The Buoys - "Tell Me Heaven Is Here"
      Chicago Transit Authority - "I'm A Man"
      Marmalade - "I See The Rain"
      John Cale - "Taking It All Away"
      David McWilliams - "Hiroshima"
      Dry Ice - "Sunny Day"
      Focus - "Sylvia"
      Kenny & The Sultans - "The Wipe Out"
      The Beatles - "Penny Lane"
      Earl Coleman - "Hippy Heaven"
      Don & Jerry with The Fugitives - "I Can't Quit"
      Paul & Linda McCartney - "The Back Seat Of My Car"
      Jimmy L. Webb - "P.F. Sloan"
      Soul, Inc. - "Don't You Go"
      Blue Mountain Eagle - "Love Is Here"
      American Spring - "Fallin' In Love"
      David Bowie - "Time"
      King Crimson - "The Talking Drum/Larks' Tongues In Aspic, Part Two"

Click here to stream this show now: http://eggmanrulez.com/m3u/412.m3u
      or to download: http://eggmanrulez.com/streams/412.mp3

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show by "liking it" on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metaphysical-Circus-with-The-Eggm...
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Egg

• March 11, 2013 1:49 PM CDT
    • I´d like to have some Info about the Surforama festival in May in Valencia! 
      Did someone have been there? Is it on the beach, i guess? Sounds like fun!