Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• March 5, 2013 2:09 PM CST
    • Yeah , that whole album "Detroit with Mitch Ryder" kills. Great versions of "It Ain't Easy" (Ron Davies , was it? Not RAY. Long John Baldrey and David Bowie covered it , too , a short time after.) , "Gimme Shelter" (Did'nt appear on the original release) , "Let It Rock "and " I Found a Love " (Falcons w/ Wilson Pickett,) , and some strong originals.........

Glenn Barton said:

Detroit's is great!. Heard it on the Wax Museum couple weeks ago. Also have it on Michigan Rocks comp.

John Battles said:

Mitch Ryder with Detroit "Rock'n'Roll" (Velvet Underground.).

Even Lou Reed "Copped" to liking this version , better .

• March 4, 2013 11:22 PM CST
    • The Hex Dispensers covered a song I wrote called 'I'm a Ghost' and killed it. It's better than the original by miles. :)

/tootsownhorn

• March 4, 2013 10:06 PM CST
    • Detroit's is great!. Heard it on the Wax Museum couple weeks ago. Also have it on Michigan Rocks comp.

John Battles said:

Mitch Ryder with Detroit "Rock'n'Roll" (Velvet Underground.).

• March 4, 2013 4:26 PM CST
    •  Mitch Ryder with Detroit "Rock'n'Roll" (Velvet Underground.).

• March 4, 2013 4:22 PM CST
    • DON'T THINK I'VE HEARD THIS SINCE MY BROTHER HAD IT ON 8 -TRACK.

EXCESS IS BEST.

I also like The Troggs , Blue Cheer , JERRY LEE LEWIS !! , Otis Redding (of course.), 13TH Floor Elevators , Eddie and The Hot Rods , and some others, but , I have'nt heard one that I thought beat the original....
      Try to imagine what that sounded like when it came out.....  
      Axel Björnsson said:

really digg this version with mountain

• March 4, 2013 12:56 AM CST
    •  

really digg this version with mountain

• March 3, 2013 7:49 PM CST
    •  I like the Isley Bros.' version of "Lay , Lady Lay". The spoken intro on their live album is priceless -   Ronnie Isley : This is a song written by Bob Dylan. Now , a lot of people thinks the cat knows something about a lot of things , but , me , I like anything that's got "LAY" in it.

Glenn Barton said:

I think we'll both stick with the one we heard first.

Mike Humsgreen said:

I was going to mention the Magnet cover. Although the steel guitar is really good on the original. But I heard the Magnet cover first and find the Dylan version doesn't really fit to the lyrics because of that. After hearing the cover it just has to be a soppy love song.

Glenn Barton said:

I love "Lay Lady Lay" but a lot of that has to do with the killer pedal steel guitar and the reverb attached to it!

• March 5, 2013 1:56 PM CST
    • thanks lad! I will post the song in the thread when Im satisfied. stay tuned!

• March 5, 2013 12:40 PM CST
    • Been chasing the perfect setup for distorted vocals for quite sometime.  Tried so many different setups, some work better than others. Pro studio engineers rarely discuss at length their setups to achieve distorted vocals.  Most articles regarding this are at best rather vague.  So, here's some of the things I've done.

As mentioned previously, one of the best and relatively simple approaches is a mic (cheap or not) direct into an analog recorder.  Serious input gain...good results.  Usually, I get it to near total nastiness, and cut input gain on the recorder, just a hair.

Also mentioned early is doubling vocal takes, two or more separate vocal takes. You can take a cleaner approach to get more definition, and get more frequency response in this setup.  Cause the more distortion ratio, the less frequency EQ range you are working with as a result.  Therefore, knowing where the range of heavily distorted vocals fall in the spectrum of frequency is rather important when mixing with guitar.  Trying to create headroom for distorted vocals with guitar can be troublesome...

You can also try to blend one heavily distorted vocal with another vocal take of cleaner less distortion.

Here are other ideas:

Reamping clean vocals to a guitar amp. Or singing directly into amp, with distortion.  Older the amp, usually the better.  Tube amp usually work the best, but I've had success with late 60s, 70s solid state budget amps.  Amps I can recommend: Bassman, Twin Reverb, 70s MusicMan, 60s Silvertone.  Bullet mic or harp mics work great...hand placement around bullet mic adds to this effect. Might have to use a de-esser. Mic placement is key in both vocal mic or micing the amp.  EQ on amp is your friend!

Using guitar pedals can work, but noise issues can really deter this method.  Avoid anything too new!!! Well not, necessarily...Or anything with a wall wart power adapter...ground hum kinda kills it.  But, I've used old fuzz pedals, Rat Pedals, SansAmp Bass Driver.  Mixed results.  ****If you find any setup to your satisfaction---write down and take pictures of your settings. Because, not being able to achieve the setup again really can kill a day in the studio.

A Really cool thing that you might be able to find at a yard sale, flea market etc. are budget mixers from 70s/80s with built in fuzz/ reverb/tremolo/echo.  Pretty sure some of the Mummies stuff were done with this method.  Even radio shack brand mixers from this era sound pretty good for distorted vocals.

Again, as mentioned earlier, Tape delay/echo/ reverb stand alone units can really add to the thickness of a narrow vocal recording.  You can do it direct or reamp a vocal take.  Both work, but sometimes its better to achieve this after the fact, unless you have a setup that is working great while recording

Hope this helps!  Have Fun!

• March 5, 2013 10:09 AM CST
    • A fisher price kids singalong toy, cassette type with mic,  battery power. record what comes out of that little speaker. pure lo-fi.

• March 5, 2013 7:14 AM CST
    • thanks for awesome guides guys!

• March 5, 2013 5:57 AM CST
    • Here's a few things:

Use tape to record vocals with if possible (even a cassette recorder)

Record them in a room with natural reverb/echo - try the toilet and bathroom.

Go on ebay,gumtree.etc and find some old mics. Ones that originally came from reel to reel setups can work.

I know the oh sees use a machine called the space echo by roland. It's a tape echo/delay machine.

You can also try singing two or more takes as identical as possible.

• March 5, 2013 5:40 AM CST
    • This is something I've been messing with for a little while now with mixed results. The easiest and potentially more expensive way to get dirty lo-fi vocals is to buy a harmonica microphone like the Shure green bullet or similar and plug that into a guitar amp or PA. I know through watching their live videos that Thee Oh Sees use this method and I believe specifically this mic. The good thing about this method is that the mic's signal is already matched for amp use so you don't have to worry about volume or impedance issues. Another way is to use the effects loop on your mixer and plug in some guitar effects pedals into it. I've also done this without an effects loop by sending the headphone out to pedals and then putting that back into a separate channel but be careful about feedback. The last way I'll mention is to wire the speaker end of an old telephone handset either directly to a 1/4" cable or to a 1/4" jack and then plug that into an amp or PA. I've seen this used to great effect before, the wiring is super simple and usually requires little to no sodder and it's cheap! I just purchased a NOS speaker element from ebay for five bucks shipping included last week. Good luck!

• March 5, 2013 5:23 AM CST
    • Yo!
      All you need is a cheap mic (SM58 copy or cheaper) plugged into a guitar amp.
      Then you mic the amp with a regular mic, and there you go, dirty vocals.
      Hope it helps.
      Cheers!

• March 5, 2013 4:49 AM CST
    • ey yo. do some of you guys recomment some cool mics or tecniques to record a vocals than I would be grateful. Sound ala Black Lips, Ty segall Oh Sees, Pebbles, Back From the grave. I tried to put a drive on the vocals after in pro tools. did'nt sound so real.. any ideas?

• March 5, 2013 1:42 PM CST
    • haha. He was on one of those gawd awful reality (check) programmes over here recently. I hate those fuckin' things. I don't know what he was there to achieve and I doubt he even knew really. Car crash telly at its worst. Even his rawk'n'roll stories were shit! Stick him an Roky in a cell together for the night and good luck to him. Wot a fanny (British translation of the word) haha

John Battles said:

HAVE TO AGREE , THERE. I SAW ON TV , WHERE SOME WOMAN PUT HERSELF ON THE LINE BY ADMITTING SHE WAS STILL A LEIF GARRETT FAN
      SOME 30 YEARS AFTER THEY STAMPED "HASBEEN" ON HIS FOREHEAD. SHE PRESENTED HIM WITH A CLAY BUST OF HIS HEAD THAT SHE'D MADE IN THE 70'S. HE REFUSED IT. 

EVEN SHAUN CASSIDY AND TIMOTHY VAN PATTEN STILL HAVE CAREERS IN SHOW BUSINESS. APART FROM EFFECTIVELY PARODYING GUYS JUST LIKE HIM IN "SPIRIT OF '76" , WHAT THE HELL HAS HE DONE SINCE JIMMY CARTER STEPPED DOWN FROM THE PRESIDENCY ?  I MET A GIRL BACK IN JUNIOR HIGH WHO TOLD ME SHE RAN INTO GARRETT BEFORE A SHOW. "DO YOU PUT YOUR PANTS ON..." , SHE ASKED HIM , "OR DO THEY PAINT THEM ON ?!!".
      Andy Climax said:

Leif Garrett??? He's a cunt! Barry Gibb

• March 3, 2013 8:25 PM CST
    • HAVE TO AGREE , THERE. I SAW ON TV , WHERE SOME WOMAN PUT HERSELF ON THE LINE BY ADMITTING SHE WAS STILL A LEIF GARRETT FAN
      SOME 30 YEARS AFTER THEY STAMPED "HASBEEN" ON HIS FOREHEAD. SHE PRESENTED HIM WITH A CLAY BUST OF HIS HEAD THAT SHE'D MADE IN THE 70'S. HE REFUSED IT. 

EVEN SHAUN CASSIDY AND TIMOTHY VAN PATTEN STILL HAVE CAREERS IN SHOW BUSINESS. APART FROM EFFECTIVELY PARODYING GUYS JUST LIKE HIM IN "SPIRIT OF '76" , WHAT THE HELL HAS HE DONE SINCE JIMMY CARTER STEPPED DOWN FROM THE PRESIDENCY ?  I MET A GIRL BACK IN JUNIOR HIGH WHO TOLD ME SHE RAN INTO GARRETT BEFORE A SHOW. "DO YOU PUT YOUR PANTS ON..." , SHE ASKED HIM , "OR DO THEY PAINT THEM ON ?!!".
      Andy Climax said:

Leif Garrett??? He's a cunt! Barry Gibb

• March 5, 2013 11:45 AM CST
    • The Trip!  March 3rd Show!  Get it now! 

Listen here: http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/381-The_Trip-20130303-0030-t1362270600.mp3

The setlist: 

little richard-   ready teddy
      larry & the bluenotes-   in and out
      bo diddley-   the shape i'm in
      the bell peppers-   rubber bullets
      rodriguez-   inner city blues
      scott dunbar-   easy rider
      soft machine-   we know what you mean
      soft machine-   clarence in wonderland
      emmanuel brun-   la voix psychedelique
      crystal stilts-   through the floor
      the surfmen -   malibu run
      the sights-   sweet little woman
      13th floor elevators-   she lives(in a time of her own)
      the galileo 7-   anne hedonia
      the music machine-   cherry cherry
      the kinks-   mr. shoemaker's daughter
      the velvet underground-   venus in furs
      gretschen hofner-   betty page is back
      MC5-   looking at you
      chuck berry-   little queenie
      roy orbison-   you're my baby
      syn-   created by clive
      steppenwolf-   hey lawdy mama

• March 5, 2013 5:15 AM CST
    • take a look at us! :)

• March 4, 2013 8:37 AM CST
    • The Mummies
      Thee Tee Pees
      The Ka-Nives
      Fe Fi Fo Fums
      The Mothballs
      The Statics
      Thee Cormans

To name a few.

• March 3, 2013 9:34 PM CST
    • THE SWAMP RATS !!!!!  Grungier than The Sonics , even when they were covering The Sonics .

• March 4, 2013 11:04 PM CST
    • Yeah, picked it up and I gotta say, there were a few issues with it out of the box: Firstly, those tuners are some kind of Korean garbage. I couldn't get em off fast enough. There was a TON of play in the machine head themselves and with anything more than light picking they'd come right out of tune. So I popped on eBay and picked up a set of Grovers and with a little finessing they dropped right in. Secondly, the nut is dogshit. It may in fact be made out of like Mexican action figure plastic. It was grabbing my strings on bends so I pulled em all off and tried to work on the grooves a little and before I knew it I could see little cracks. So I just said fuggit and swapped it out. THIRD AND LASTLY, that bridge is an embarrassment. It rattled so loud when I was strumming that it could be heard over my damn AC15. I took it off and looked for the little wire that is threaded through the screws on a tune-o-matic style bridge as that is usually the source of a bridge rattle and TYPICALLY you can just pinch it down tight and voila. No such luck. It's on the FRIGGIN INTERIOR of the bridge. Totally inaccessible. So back onto eBay I went to buy myself a sweet little roller style bridge.

And finally -- I have the guitar I paid for. Stays in tune. Has that dark semi-hollow sound. I'm happy with it. In my opinion, I really wish Eastwood had spent a little more on the hardware, especially if -- as they claim -- this is supposed to be the workingman's Country Classic. Kinda turned me off on EW guitars from here on out if I'm honest. I'll keep it, but mostly so I can tell the story of how I turned a hoopty into a solid player.

• March 4, 2013 10:07 PM CST
    • Show #411: "Bands & Artists Starting With R, Part 6" playlist:

Michael Rother - "Fontana Di Luna"
      The Rouges - "Faces On The Wall"
      The Roulettes - "Help Me To Help Myself"
      Round Robin - "I'm The Wolfman"
      The Roundtable - "Scarborough Fair"
      The Roustabouts - "Just You And Me"
      The Routers - "Let's Go (Pony)"
      The Rovin' Flames - "Seven Million People"
      The Rovin' Kind - "Right On Time"
      Normie Rowe & The Playboys - "She Used To Be Mine"
      Dave Rowland - "Besame Mucho"
      Roxy - "You Got A Lot Of Style"
      Roxy Music - "Psalm" - Stranded
      Roy & The Bristols - "It's Your Fault"
      The Royal Cavaliers - "I'll Try Again"
      The Royal Coachmen - "Loophole"
      The Royal Flairs - "Suicide"
      The Royal Groove - "27 Hours In The Day"
      The Royal Guardsmen - "Mother, Where's Your Daughter"
      Royal Jesters - "Theme For A Lonely Girl"
      The Royal Jokers - "Sweet Little Angel"
      The Royal Knights - "Knight-Mare"
      The Royal Premiers - "Who Am I Without Your Love"
      The Royal Rhythms - "Lovey Dovey"
      The Royal Teens - "Believe Me"
      Billy Joe Royal - "Cherry Hill Park"
      James Royal - "Work Song"
      The Royale Coachmen - "Killer Of Men"
      The Royalites - "Dance Time"
      The Royaltones [MI] - "Flamingo Express"
      The Royaltones [NY] - "Crazy Love"
      Royalty - "Let's Ride"
      The Rubber Band [AR] - "Below Up, Above Down"
      The Rubber Band [IA] - "My Baby Left Me"
      The Rubber Maze - "Mrs. Griffith"
      The Rubettes - "Tonight"
      Rubinho e Mauro Assumpcao - "Quero Companheira"
      Ruby & The Romantics - "Your Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore"
      David Ruffin - "My Whole World Ended (The Moment You Left Me)"
      Jimmy Ruffin - "I've Passed This Way Before"
      The Rulers - "Wrong Embryo"

Click here to stream this show now: http://eggmanrulez.com/m3u/411.m3u
      or to download: http://eggmanrulez.com/streams/411.mp3

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 6748511750
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Egg

• March 4, 2013 4:12 PM CST
    • Wow. That is some Foot-in -Ass Rock'n'Roll. MY FRIEND FOUND TWO OF THEIR RECORDS IN THE LATE 70'S , and said , if you see any , Grab 'em !  Like , that'll happen.

1:32 - 'Well , stone cold baby likes to Rock and Roll. Twistin' cock , keep me rockin' and bonin'. Twist a little , baby , cos I'm burnin' your hands , ain't got no rollin' , got a roll in his pants. Come on , darling , cool , cool town (Or koo koo town ?). Ain't got no rollin' , ain't got New Orleans , COME ON ! GET ON , BABY , COME ON ! ROCK AND ROLL" ......"GIVE ME ALL YOUR ROCK!!!!" (See above .) GUITAR !!!! .......

"POOH POOH BROWN "(I/0 COOL , COOL TOWN) IS A POSSIBILITY , TOO . I DID'NT HEAR IT , MYSELF.

Lutz Vipinderwoman said:

Let's see....I hear with my little ear:

"Gotta be a skookie" (what's that?) ...."get my bong".. "Is your mother hi, call me in the road." "Fish can talk to me bony" and I distinctly hear.."pooh-pooh brown" and "Give me all your rock" ....and of course "get on baby, get on"

Yeah, I think that's what they said.

Axel said:

But what I really wanna know is...what is he singing? The mighty Hurriganes!!!