Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• February 6, 2013 11:25 AM CST
    • We're heading to Austin for SXSW this year and looking for some fun parties to play!!

Anyone know of any??

• February 6, 2013 10:52 AM CST
    • Thanks for the words Gentleman John. All of the contexts & examples yer talkin' about are reasons why we started to use the swastika in our work. I was tired of being afraid of being called a Nazi especially if Joey Ramone can sing "I'm a Nazi baby, I'm a Nazi yes I am." & barely anyone bats an eyelid. Centrally for me though, you can blame Robert Crumb who pretty much always included swastikas in his big mix up pictures of tiny cartoon characters exploding out of someone's head, including on his original cover for Big Brother & the Holding Company's "Cheap Thrills". And, as always, anyone who wants to say something is welcome to our insane Passover Seder to level any complaints.

John Battles said:

OK , I JUST GOT THE NEW PORK. I DID NOT FIND THE USE OF THE SWASTIKA PARTICULARLY OFFENSIVE. IT WAS USED IN THE SAME WAY MAD MAGAZINE (WHO , YOU'LL NOTE , WAS A LARGELY JEWISH COLLECTIVE , FREQUENTLY BASHED BY THE EXTREME RIGHT.) USED TO - IT JUST EXPRESSED RAGE OR CRAZINESS OR A WAY TO SUGGEST "BAD WORDS" - YOU KNOW , "$%#@**$!!!!    

It was'nt used as a means to convey Neo - Nazi sympathies , and I see Pork magazine the same way......I would imagine if it really offended a lot of people , they'd stop using that image , and The Iron Cross , which I've read was a medal of honor AWARDED EVEN BEFORE THE DAYS OF THE KAISER. A LOT OF PEOPLE IN OUR CIRCLES WERE WEARING IRON OR MALTESE CROSSES , YEARS AGO , MYSELF INCLUDED (I even found one with a Black Power fist bolted onto it. Who could contest THAT?) , BUT , no one seemed to mind. Not like Dick Miller's classic rant in "The Wild Angels".  But , to wear a Swastika T-SHIRT OR BADGE TODAY WOULD STILL HAVE THE SAME CONNOTATION  . BUT , WE'RE TALKING ABOUT WEARING THEM IN PUBLIC.  Even if your politics don't lean that way , as with The Sex Pistols. They made it clear they were anti - Nazism and Communism , too , as did many Punk bands , but they flirted with the imagery of both , to some extent .

REAL NEO - NAZIS ARE TRAITORS. PORK SEEMS TO BE ABOUT AS ALL - AMERICAN AS YOU CAN GET.

John Battles , Roctober Magazine .

• February 6, 2013 8:24 AM CST
    • I think in Europe the Swastika has a different meaning to how Brits and Americans interpret it. Don't forget that in a lot of countries wearing it is illegal and therefore only Nazis wear it. So many Germans get insulted when Brits make Hitler jokes, but it's just the same to us as when Germans make shitty jokes about our food.

• February 6, 2013 8:10 AM CST
    • The history of the swastika is actually pretty interesting. Check out the Wikipedia entry for more details:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

Remember, it wasn't used or seen as a symbol of hate until the Nazis started using it after 1920.

Just sayin'.

• February 6, 2013 12:08 AM CST
    • Of course , there's nothing new under the sun.....Brian Jones posing in full Nazi regalia , Ron Asheton performing in the same. Both maintained they were being provocative , not advertising for the Nazi party. Kiss (Who are , of course , comprised of and led by two Jewish members) whose logo resembles the "SS" SYMBOL ,THOUGH , NOT PRECISELY.

The Ramones with a two Jews /two Goys lineup , and The Dictators , proudly Jewish , save for most of their Drummers , both toying with Fascist imagery , but , on strictly a "Hogan's Heroes" level.        Sorry , I had to add something , when I tried to edit the previous message , I  WAS TOLD A REPLY WAS NEEDED ..... 

• February 5, 2013 11:50 PM CST
    • OK , I JUST GOT THE NEW PORK. I DID NOT FIND THE USE OF THE SWASTIKA PARTICULARLY OFFENSIVE. IT WAS USED IN THE SAME WAY MAD MAGAZINE (WHO , YOU'LL NOTE , WAS A LARGELY JEWISH COLLECTIVE , FREQUENTLY BASHED BY THE EXTREME RIGHT.) USED TO - IT JUST EXPRESSED RAGE OR CRAZINESS OR A WAY TO SUGGEST "BAD WORDS" - YOU KNOW , "$%#@**$!!!!    

It was'nt used as a means to convey Neo - Nazi sympathies , and I see Pork magazine the same way......I would imagine if it really offended a lot of people , they'd stop using that image , and The Iron Cross , which I've read was a medal of honor AWARDED EVEN BEFORE THE DAYS OF THE KAISER. A LOT OF PEOPLE IN OUR CIRCLES WERE WEARING IRON OR MALTESE CROSSES , YEARS AGO , MYSELF INCLUDED (I even found one with a Black Power fist bolted onto it. Who could contest THAT?) , BUT , no one seemed to mind. Not like Dick Miller's classic rant in "The Wild Angels".  But , to wear a Swastika T-SHIRT OR BADGE TODAY WOULD STILL HAVE THE SAME CONNOTATION  . BUT , WE'RE TALKING ABOUT WEARING THEM IN PUBLIC.  Even if your politics don't lean that way , as with The Sex Pistols. They made it clear they were anti - Nazism and Communism , too , as did many Punk bands , but they flirted with the imagery of both , to some extent .

REAL NEO - NAZIS ARE TRAITORS. PORK SEEMS TO BE ABOUT AS ALL - AMERICAN AS YOU CAN GET.

John Battles , Roctober Magazine .

• February 6, 2013 9:32 AM CST
    • Alison, I also checked out "How They Want Me To Be" by Best Coast. That one reminds me of "What Am I Gonna Do?" by Thee Sgt. Major III

Alison said:

Best Coast's first album is filled with "lazy" reverb laden love songs involving getting high and wishing your cat could talk.

• February 6, 2013 9:14 AM CST
    • Too Many People is a great Take 'Er Easy tune.

John Battles said:

Too Many People - The Leaves (Deadmoon did a great version , too).

"And the last thing I'll ever do , to prove that I'm a man like you is work from 9 to 5 , tryin' to keep myself alive , and worry just because that's what everybody else does , and  concentrate my time tryin' to make myself a dime , and wear a suit and tie when I'd rather sit and die."

Lazy - Deep Purple.   Self - explanatory.

Teacher's Pet - "Then I got myself a real job. But , still I was a fucking slob. Killed my boss , he told me to get a haircut !" .........Then .....well , it gets better .

• February 6, 2013 9:13 AM CST
    • Can't say it any plainer than that.

Andy Climax said:

Jello do say it best!

• February 6, 2013 8:20 AM CST
    • Cool. Thanks for the links!

• February 5, 2013 6:59 PM CST
    • When we were last in Japan we played a gig with Wolf Wolf (Switzerland) who put me onto FatCat  Radio. They’re in Illinois somewhere. I’ve written to them myself, FatCat Radio, but they’ve not gotten back to me.

An Australian page is www.i94bar.com. I know the… editor? Whatever the title is for a web page magazine editor. I’ll e-mail you a direct postal address. My address is turbonun@gmail.com. If you want to give Australia a serious stab, I’ll compile a list of radio stations and programs for you to hit here.

Thanks for the kudos on our You Tube page. I’ll check out yours later today. As to the little quasi-documentary, I always tell bands to film everything. You can easily amass a film out of footage you take. Against Me’s “We’re Never Going Home”, Lucero’s “Dreaming of America and other, countless, films, too numerous to mention start out as an extra party just taking footage of you hanging out. Look at the one Bob Gruen made of the first trip the New York Dolls took the your west coast back in the early seventies. (I forget the title but I do have it at home.) It’s well worth it, cheap and damn easy.

• February 6, 2013 1:23 AM CST
    • Here's 4, entirely out of left-field: Click here, then click "discography" in the top-right.

Three are theODcollective Compilations, Vol.'s 1-3; Vol. 1 was all B.C., Canada-area bands, released in 2006 and mostly current (some earlier) punk, metal, garage, crust, thrash, glam, even spoken word and acoustic, mostly from Vancouver, Victoria. Vol. 2 was again mostly Vancouver-area bands, but a little less diverse, and Vol. 3 was the most random, genre-wise.

And the fourth is First Breath of Defiance, a compilation of Canadian and Russian bands, mostly punk on the Canadian side (thrash, blackened crust, hardcore, etc.), and mostly punk and metal/noise on the Russian side (sludge, hardcore, pop-punk, etc.).

No ads or bullshit on the site, free downloads, etc.

• February 5, 2013 11:29 PM CST
    • Just a few Texas comps - Epitaph For a Legend (International Artists comp w/ 13th Floor Elevators , Red Krayola , Lightnin' Hopkins , Electric Rubiyat , Emperors , Lost and Found , etc.) .    International Artists Collection (Great singles comp - Elevators , Bubble Puppy , Lost and Found , etc.) , Texas Flashbacks (5 volumes , all great.) , Austin Landing (Elevators (Live , 73) , Roy Head w/ Johnny and Edgar Winter , Five By Five , Bubble Puppy , Stereo Shoecase .) , Acid Visions - Stoics , Johnny Winter, Scotty McKay w/ Jimmy Page , etc.) Mindbenders one (Similar to previous , but with The Moving Sidewalks' 45 sides , too.).

Ft. Worth Teen Scene  (Norton).

• February 5, 2013 11:18 PM CST
    • LOOK FOR THE HIDEOUT RECORDS COMPS . THE FIRST WAS A CD WITH ALMOST ALL OF BOB SEGER'S KILLER EARLY SIDES , THE PLEASURE SEEKERS , THE MUSHROOMS (PRE - SUCK GLEN FREY)  AND OTHERS.  IT WAS'NT EXACTLY LEGIT (HA HA) , BUT , NORTON RELEASED A SIMILARCOMP , ON THE UP AND UP. ALSO "MICHIGAN ROCKS" IS A GOOD PRIMER (MC5 , STOOGES , SRC , RATIONALS ,THIRD POWER , AMBOY DUKES , MITCH RYDER'S DETROIT".) , The "Motor City  Connection'' covered (Relatively ) new and old - Gories , ? and The Mysterians , Scott Morgan , Sillies , Ramrods , and so forth......)

"It Came From The Garage " (2 volumes?) Early Gories , Elvis Hitler , 3D Invisibles, Snake - Out , etc.

The Ungodly 77s said:

I am from the Detroit area, so here is my recommendation for that slice of the world...

These are tough to find, but I am sure they are out there (at the very least, iTunes), but here is a link to the Ghettoblaster series of comps put out by the Motor City Brewery and recorded by Jim Diamond. Several great and now-legendary Detroit garage bands used to perform at the brewery and Diamond recorded the live performances (the brewery is located in the Cass corridor and is a favorite local hangout for garage rockers of that ilk).

There were some great takes captured live. Check it out:

http://www.allmusic.com/album/ghettoblaster-a-detroit-sampler-vol-1...

There were at least a couple volumes and they all rock.

• February 5, 2013 7:24 PM CST
    • Great recommendations, thanks! I've got vol 2 of the Ghettoblaster series, and it rules, but of course it's all of the usual Detroitian suspects. Landlocked And Loaded is a new one to me, it looks awesome and the free download is nice. Another easy ipod upgrade.

Very nice, thank you, keep those suggestions comin'

• February 5, 2013 11:08 PM CST
    • BELIEVE IT OR NOT , EVEN RHINO'S "LEGENDS OF ROCK GUITAR: SURF "IS REAL CHOICE.

"WHAT SURF" 1 - 3 WAS ONE OF THE FIRST ATTEMPTS AT A SURF / PUNK / GARAGE CROSSOVER .....THERE'S AGENT ORANGE , THE PANDORAS , DAVIE ALLAN BACKED BY TEH PANDORAS , PLUS SOME OLDER STUFF , LIKE THOSE SKINHEAD STANDBYS , THE PYRAMIDS.

THERE'S A GREAT MEXICAN SURF EP ON 7". I FORGET THE TITLE , BUT , IT KILLS.

"WAIL ON THE BEACH " AND "WAX 'EM DOWN" ARE ALSO VERY GOOD (THE LATTER HAS FRANK SINATRA , JR.'s THEME TO "BEACH GIRLS AND THE MONSTER" .).

THE 3 VOLUME "LEGENDS OF SURF GUITAR" SERIES IS INDISPENSIBLE , AS IS "SURF LEGENDS AND RUMORS " , ONE OF THE FIRST CDs I EVER BOUGHT.

• February 5, 2013 5:38 PM CST
    • Also, Strummin' Mental, carried by Crypt is really cool. I think I had v.3, and just about every track rocked.

Australian group the Hitmen did a great cover of King of the Surf w/ Johnny Kannis...

• February 5, 2013 7:47 PM CST
    • Yes , and , of course , Ronnie Bond , whose departure was a blip on the radar in teh 90's . You KNOW they're going to have some good laughs at each other's expense.

"And you DID it , you went DUBBA DUBBA DUBBA CHUH ! "  "OY CAN DO IT ORL NOYT , BUT YOU WON'T FOKKING LISTEN !".

Reg was as cool as you could possibly imagine , at least when I was fortunate enough to meet him. He went in depth about his UFO fascination , but, it did'nt matter if I , too believed in UFOs , he knew his stuff. Maybe he got to be more difficult after his stroke , but , I found him to be remarkably pleasant and infectiously funny.

Andy Climax said:

RIP Reg. The Mothership awaits. Very very sad. You will be sorely missed. You were lately seen especially in Britain as a bit of a crank an a UFO freak, but we will always remeber you as 'Mr Wild Thing'. When you meet Mr Lennon, Harrison, and Mr Marriott, give them a huge 'dubba dubba...cha! from us all. Good Times my friend!

• February 5, 2013 7:41 PM CST
    • Yeah , this ,and the recently unearthed "Surprise Partie" live footage , came from France , and they say The French can't Rock. France , Germany and England held The Troggs up through the lean years , when they should have been touring HERE , AS WELL , AND KILLING 'EM.

melissa scott said:

I love this one -- with the SCREAMING girly! Cuz she wanted everything! :D

• February 5, 2013 7:39 PM CST
    • Yeah, and sadly for us , not for them , Wilko will be joining your friend and Reg , soon , but, remember , they'll be having a better time than we are.

My condolences about your friend.

• February 5, 2013 7:35 PM CST
    • I WROTE UP A NEW THREAD , REGARDING REG'S ASCENSION , YESTERDAY. I ASSUME IT'S STILL HERE. HE DID DIE FROM LUNG CANCER - RELATED COMPLICATIONS , AFTER HAVING BEEN KNOWN TO HAVE IT FOR A YEAR. HE ALSO SUFFERED A MAJOR STROKE IN 2010, BUT , WENT BACK TO WORK AFTER BEING GIVEN A CLEAN BILL OF HEALTH . HIS MARRIAGE AND HIS BAND NEARLY HIT THE 50 YEAR , NO BREAKUPS OR REUNIONS , MARK.

REG PRESLEY WAS A BAD MOTHERFUCKER.  HE WILL BE MISSED.

• February 5, 2013 6:27 PM CST
    • Very sad news today.  Reg passed away.  The articles I've found haven't mentioned cancer, but you would have to assume.  RIP, Reg.  

• February 5, 2013 7:26 PM CST
    • Wow, what a joke. They're basically saying they have the patent to not only podcasts, but RSS, since that's the delivery "apparatus" for podcasting, and if they say that, then it basically includes ANY blog in existence that has ever posted a video or audio file, or any sort of "media"... so you're talking about not only those folks who call themselves podcasters, but everyone else with a blog, too. It's not just insane, it's preposterous. And it'll never go anywhere because it's just too vague.

Now, excuse me while I go draw up a patent for websites.

• February 5, 2013 5:46 PM CST
    • Off Twitter-

If you want to know how insane patent trolls are, read about this company claiming they have rights to all *podcasts*

Pretty whacked-out. hm? First Youtube, then Spotify, now this. Wonder when they'll get tired of this harassment?