Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• December 9, 2012 8:19 AM CST
    • One of the saddest case to me was Roxy Music:

(I would like to post this video but the sound is too bad)
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWhzG9cQGgc
      So better watch this one: 

The final part of this song still blow me away ;)

But then,
      how could they turn into something so awfully bad?

Also David Bowie disappointed me whit the making of "Let´s Dance" in ´83
      But I love all the stuff he has done before, till "Scary Monsters"!

• December 7, 2012 2:39 PM CST
    • Good God , is that group from 1990 really the same band , or some of the same people , even?

I've seen modern Garage bands lose the script , but ,not like THAT ! AS I SAY , I WAS'NT FAMILIAR WITH THESE GUYS. ONLY IN NAME.  PEOPLE WERE ALREADY CALLING BANDS LIKE THIS "CLICHE" BY 1986, BUT , I WOULD HAVE DAMN NEAR KILLED TO HAVE HAD A BAND LIKE THIS WHERE I LIVED , IN '86. AND , DON'T THINK I DID'NT TRY TO START ONE OF MY OWN !

• December 7, 2012 2:34 PM CST
    • This is quite awful, it sounds like a boy band playing their own instruments. It makes me wonder whether it was a gradual process or just an abrupt turn to the dire. How did it happen in the space of four years?  

Gringo Starr said:

They went from garage gods to boy band - Well, I'll let the music speak for itself:

1986:

1990:

Chris Henniker said:

How did that happen?

Gringo Starr said:

One of the saddest cases was The Creeps. I'm surprised that John didn't include them in his list. I'm sure that he will elaborate.

• December 9, 2012 12:14 AM CST
    • The two new Man or Astro-Man? 7"s are awesome! They are probably my favorite releases of the year.

• December 8, 2012 9:41 PM CST
    • So I have had a couple of beers, and I have gone thru some of the records I enjoyed the most this year, and I hate to say it... but most of them are from newer bands. I mean, a lot of good records came out this year from some young kids that blew some of the older bands out of the water.

FIDLAR - ALL The EPs they had this year, all the single releases... I have had the chance to hear the new record and it is still enough garage punk surf to make your mouth melt.

Ty has been pumping shit out this year, and we all know that everything he did this year was great.

The Tough Shits?

Shannon and The Clams

Warm Soda

The Orwells? (I know Pitchfork kind of just creamed themselves about those guys)

Cool Ghouls

Straight Arrows

The Babies

White Laces (More Towards the post punk side)

Cold Showers (Also More Towards the post punk/Goth Side)

The Soft Moon

Gotta give it up for the guys in Tyvek and the new record...

Gotta give it up from the guy in Lace Curtains

The list would just get longer and longer, but I feel that is enough to kind of get the gist of were I was this year...

Oh, and The Get Wets - My home town heros...

• December 8, 2012 3:05 PM CST
    • I guess "Dark Shadows" did'nt do much at the box office. iT'S POSSIBLE , A LOT OF PEOPLE DID'NT HEAR ABOUT IT , I DON'T KNOW. It was billed as a straight up Comedy , which I thought would'nt work....But , it really is'nt , the Comedy and THE HORROR ELEMENTS ARE BALANCED OUT PRETTY WELL. It's not High Art , just a fun flick.

dave said:

Holy Christ, guys, I didn't even know about the Dark Shadows re-make, but you've made me want to see it! (haven't been to a movie since Pan's Labyrinth, so ya know 'ya done good')

Lately Burton's been getting a bad rep amongst reviewers, but I never know exactly what their beef is. Everything I've seen by him except for PeeWee has that Goth-y/geeky vibe, so what were they expecting.

(Alice Cooper had a funny cameo in Wayne's World [I know, everyone's seen it, but...], another goofy rock and roll romp.)

(I heard Penelope Spheris would never work with Mike Myers again, if she could help it)

• December 8, 2012 10:42 AM CST
    • The Life and Times - No One Loves You Like I Do

Dan Sartain - Too Tough To Live

The Soft Pack - Strapped

Mrs. Magician - Strange Heaven

• December 8, 2012 7:46 AM CST
    • LP
      Scott & Charlene's Wedding, "Para Vista Social Club" (Critical Heights)
      Spacin', "Deep Thuds" (Richie Records)
      Colleen Green, "Milo Goes to Compton" (Art Fag)
      The Raw Nerves, "The Raw Nerves" (don't know the label)
      The Men, "Open Your Heart" (Sacred Bones)
      Ty Segall Band, "Slaughterhouse" (In the Red)
      Ty Segall, "Twins" (Drag City)
      Moon Due, "Circles" (Sacred Bones)
      King Blood, "Vengeance Man" (Richie Records)

REISSUE
      The Consumers- All My Friends Are Dead (In the Red)
      Northern Haze- Sinnaktuq (Supreme Echo)

7"
      New Coke, "He Got Stabbed in the Throat" 7" (Slovenly)
      Pamela, "Desert" 7" (Southpaw)
      The Screaming Females, "It All Means Nothing" 7" (Don Giovanni)
      Lecherous Gaze, "Bagagazo" 7" (Who Can You Trust?)

CASSETTE/DOWNLOAD
      Hector's Pets, "2012 SxSW cassette" (self released)

• December 7, 2012 3:25 PM CST
    • Holy Christ, guys, I didn't even know about the Dark Shadows re-make, but you've made me want to see it! (haven't been to a movie since Pan's Labyrinth, so ya know 'ya done good')

Lately Burton's been getting a bad rep amongst reviewers, but I never know exactly what their beef is. Everything I've seen by him except for PeeWee has that Goth-y/geeky vibe, so what were they expecting.

(Alice Cooper had a funny cameo in Wayne's World [I know, everyone's seen it, but...], another goofy rock and roll romp.)

(I heard Penelope Spheris would never work with Mike Myers again, if she could help it)

• December 7, 2012 2:50 PM CST
    • PARANORMAN ? AFRAID I DON'T KNOW IT....I'm just now talking to people who DID like "Dark Shadows". I know , what's not to like ? JOHNNY DEPP , DONE UP LIKE LUX INTERIOR , HELENA BONHAM CARTER , FOR A CHANGE , NOT PLAYING AN OLD WOMAN OR AN APE . ALICE COOPER AS HIMSELF , "THE UGLIEST WOMAN IN THE WORLD" , WITH EXTRAS WHO LOOK ALMOST EXACTLY LIKE THE ALICE COOPER GROUP (MY TECH HEAD FRIEND , WHO'S PLAYED WITH MEMBERS OF THE ACG , WENT INTO GREAT DETAIL ON HOW ACCURATE THEIR GEAR WAS IN THE MOVIE.) , T REX AND STOOGES ON THE SOUNDTRACK , AND SPOOKY ATMOSPHERICS PLAYING OFF BURTON'S USUAL DRY HUMOR ( I'm often the only person laughing at his movies , but , everyone was laughing , this time.), AND , SIR CHRISTOPHER FUCKING LEE !!!!!!

IDON MINE said:

Also dug DARK SHADOWS and the Frankenweenie - did you get to see PARANORMAN, or is that out of question?

Best Comeback, great haha, right on.

John Battles said:

Movies by Tim Burton - Dark Shadows , Frankenweenie.

Best comebacks.     Pee Wee Herman , Bloodshot Bill , Iggy Yoakum .

• December 8, 2012 10:02 AM CST
    • Yup, for the annual Cramps night; we've done Green Fuz, I'm Cramped, Sheena's in a Goth Gang, New Kind of Kick, possibly a couple of others that I've forgotten! D.

• December 8, 2012 7:09 PM CST
    • i like "Gee Whiz Whilikers Golly Gee" from the Foghorn Leghorn cartoons , where the Beatnik Rooster appears out of nowhere, with a guitar , singing "Gee whiz whilikers golly gee! she's the purdiest thing you see , gee whiz whilikers , golly gee, I love the GUUUUUUUURL - OOP~and she loves meeeeeee''. I DON'T HAVE THAT CARTOON. I think it appeared in two Foghorn Leghorn shorts. I love when Rock'n'Roll gets parodied in the cartoons (Esp. Hanna Barbara.). I looked for it on You Tube ,NUTHIN'. Except Frankie Avalon recorded it , that version is up. I know , you can't wait to look it up.

• December 7, 2012 7:48 PM CST
    • Thanks for that, Joey!  Stoner is one of my favorite genres, but I never heard about that site until now.

Joey Fuckup said:

In case any of you guys are interested, I came across this blog that specializes in late '60's-mid '70's proto metal, doom, stoner, heavy prog & psych, and yes, even snotty garage. It's called "The Day After the Sabbath", and Rich (who operates the blog) unearths lots of obscurities from all around the globe. He does widen the span a bit to go into the '80's, and will also include newer bands from the stoner rock genre, usually doing a cover. I know this thread is narrowing on the newer scene, but there is TONS of stuff on there for download that you guys would dig. Check it out here: http://www.aftersabbath.com/

• December 7, 2012 6:31 PM CST
    • Yes, Zoroaster and Harvey Milk rule.  Now let me make a connection between Georgia metal and Georgia garage rock.  Susanne Gibboney of the Atlanta garage bands Lust, The Vendettas, and Tiger! Tiger! is married to Brann Dailor of Mastadon.  Also, the beautiful cover art of Tiger! Tiger!'s awesome 2012 album, "Cut Them Where They Bleed," was created by Baroness lead singer John Dyer Baizley.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwiqmfn9cK1qe71npo1_500.jpg

Alex said:

You said it.  The Georgia bands are KILLER.  I'm a really big fan of Zoroaster and Harvey Milk.  If you like Harvey Milk, you need to check out Whores, which was produced by a guy from Harvey Milk (http://whores.bandcamp.com/).  Really one of my favorite EP's of 2012 (it came out end of December 2011).

Also, Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats have been getting a TON of press this year.  I'm impressed.

Alison said:

So many Georgia metal bands, including: Zoroaster, Withered, Apocalyptic Visions, Torche, Mastodon, Harvey Milk, Baroness, Kylesa, and Royal Thunder....

But my favorite "stoner" band is the UK's Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats...

• December 7, 2012 5:21 PM CST
    • Radio What Wave Playlist Dec 6/2012

It's all women's voices day here at CHRW as a memorial for the Montreal Massacre that happened in 1989. Women engineering students were selectively murdered by a maniac...

So every year since this tragic event, CHRW has done an all women's day. So i'm in the background on this week's show, Ashley D (every monday at 3:30 PM, Ashley hosts Magical Mystery Mondays on CHRW) is on the yammer stick giving you all the details about the songs. We started this one an hour earlier than usual, 5PM and ended at 7PM.

1. Joan Jett....Roadrunner...from the Fit To Be Tied CD. Joan takes ownership of this Jonathan Richman song and makes it into a screaming rocker.

2. The Zellots...Soldiers...from the latest WW cassette, Slippery's Club Hits. The Zellots are playing their second show since they've gotten back together tomorrow night at Call The Office. This is the beginning of our London Ontario set.

3. The Zellots...Land Of The Free...recorded live at Call The Office Oct 27/2012.

4. Dead Rabbits...Into The Future...recorded live at The Cedar Lounge 10/9/81.

5. The Hippies...Canteens...also from Slippery's Club Hits. The Hippies released only one 7" when they were active from about 81 to 84.

6. Jane Doe...Dance With Me Henry...from their only single. Sort of a collective of London Ontario musicians who got together for this single...members of Ukase, Zellots, 63 Monroe and others were involved in this project.

7. Ukase...Jealousy...from a demo CD. This band released only 1 single and this particular song was originally done by The Zellots.

8. Scratching Post...Beam Me Up...recorded live at The Brunswick 8/13/93 and features Nicole Hughes on vocals/guitar and she now writes music with some big names in Toronto.

9. Arco Di Scarico...Wild Wild Boyfriends...1995 demo from this band that morphed into The Black Holes. Viv Sun supplies the wild wild vocals on this one.

10. Alcohollys...don't know the name of  this song, but it was recorded live at Call The Office 7/23/12 when they played with The Living Dead Beats.

11. CordCalling...Wicked Desire...recorded live 3/26/09 on Radio WW. 2 piece combo that play just about anywhere in London Ontario.

12. The Curse...Killer Bees....recorded live at Forest City Gallery 11/25/77 and was only the second ever punk show here in London. It was also the first punk show here to have a poster, which just happens to be on display at Forest City Gallery as part of our Graphic Underground: London 1977-1990 exhibit. And we have a closing night party on Friday Dec 14th. And this  is also the start of our out of town bands visiting London as part of our all women's music show.

13. The Curse...He's My Boy...as above.

14. Rough Trade...It's A Jungle...recorded live in the early 80's at The Spoke on the campus of Western University.

15. Blood On The Saddle...I Need A Man...recorded live at Key West, 12/17/86. They played 2 shows in London, exactly 10 days apart as they went from west to east and back west again while on tour.

16. Blood On The Saddle...Let's Have A Party...as above.

17. Wanda Jackson...Funnel Of Love...recorded live at Aoelian Hall, 5/27/05 and the very first time that Wanda had ever been to London!

18. Dishrags...Cement...from their Love/Hate CD on OPM Records. The first all female punk band from Vancouver/Victoria. And the start of our look at Canadian female punk bands.

19. B-Girls...B Side...from their only single and features local drummer Marcy Saddy.

20. Poles...CN Tower...from their only 7" from 1977...Toronto combo who only released one good record.

21. Martha And The Muffins...Paint By Number Heart...from their Metro Music LP from 1980.

22. True Confessions...He's A Liar...from their only LP, self titled from 1980. Another Toronto combo.

23. Tyranna...Johnny....from the recently released LP on Rave Up Records from Italy. A Toronto combo that for some reason, history doesn't want to remember.

24. Sparkle Moore...Skull and Crossbones...from the Rounder Records compilation, Wild Wild Young Women and the start of our female rockabilly set.

25. Wanda Jackson...Fujiyama Mama....from the Rockin' With Wanda CD.

26. Janis Martin...Bang Bang...from the That Rockin' Gal LP on Bear Family Records.

27. Barbara Pittman...I Need A Man...from a 10" compilation record of the same name on Sun Records.

28. Brenda Lee...Sweet Nothin's...from a greatest hits LP.

29. Shangri Las.... Sophisticated Boom Boom...from a greatest hits CD.

30. Mary Weiss....Cry About The Radio...from the Dangerous Game LP on Norton Records from 2007. Mary's first recordings since the Shangri Las days!!

31. Pleasure Seekers...What A Way To Die...from the compilation LP of the same name.

32. Suzi Quatro...48 Crash...from her 1974 self titled LP. Suzi was also in The Pleasure Seekers.

33. Nancy Sinatra...Boots...from the LP of the same name.

34. Patti Smith...25th Floor....live version from 2/28/78 recorded in the other London and we're outta time!!!

Can't believe how fast this show went and hope you dug the sounds!! Thanx for all the phone calls and for listening!!

Back next week with a regular show.

Here's the link to the archived show:

http://chrwradio.ca/content/radio-what-wave#prev-shows

And the first hour of the show will be here:

http://chrwradio.ca/content/outtohunch#prev-shows

• December 7, 2012 4:47 PM CST
    • Yeah , like most of you , I suffered through some pretty heinous Stones tracks in the 80's and 90's  , only to change my view about some of them....A friend of mine once said " "Emotional Rescue" is'nt The Stones...I could'nt listen to it , every day , but , it's not bad , for what it is.". I think "Voodoo Lounge " was the beginning of getting back on track , though I still did'nt like it enough to buy it. "A Bigger Bang !" sounds like a real Stones album. All credit must go to Don Was. But , it was around that time , they started presenting themselves with a few challenges ,like playing smaller venues (Something they've done in the past , I know.) , and songs they've never tackled , live. I was trying to get a ticket to their 2003 show at The Aragon Ballroom because I knew they'd do a lot of songs they NEVER do.  I just heard a crude , but acceptable , copy of last week's (Week before?)  London concert. Not only do they still have it (Yes , mistakes were made , bit , no moreso than , say , in the Late 70's - Early 80's.) , but "Doom and Gloom" sounds pretty fucking good ,live.

• December 7, 2012 4:14 PM CST
    • This is one of the reasons why I got into music: storytelling. Stories aside, I've loved The Stones since I was a teenager and quite like this song. Their best stuff's never dated, still sounds fresh today.

• December 7, 2012 4:29 PM CST
    • will up the vote for the Swamp Rats again, another for Los Saicos, then put this up for fun

• December 7, 2012 3:13 PM CST
    • although the looks are a wee bit dodgy, I think the main issue with this is the fact that its efectively a guitar-shaped synthsizer, & you have to download stuff from the internet to know how to use it!  The self tuning, & USB wireless connection could make playin live easier... BUT, easier definately doesn't always mean better!

The Blue Giant Zeta Puppies said:

YEEeeeuch!!!....that is possibly the nastiest Gibson I have ever seen......I LOVE the early P90 "non reverse" Firebirds....but that is just hideous....(and totaly agree about B.C. Rich.....)

Dead Nachos said:

I up this topic, but seriously: BEHOLD the Gibson Firebird X!

Just search for the specs of this so-called guitar and you will be really mad! 

Also, any B.C. Rich is the uncoolest guitar in my opinion...