Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• December 4, 2012 9:04 PM CST
    • Yeah ! I always thought it sounded like the singer had his middle finger out , the whole time !

"UH , WELL , TH' NIGHT WUZ BLACK , NIGHT WUZ BLUE ! ROUND TH' CORNER ,

A SHIT - WAGON FLEW !  A BUMP WUZ HIT , A SCREAM WUZ HEARD ........

A MAN GOT KILLED BY A FLYIN' TURD , I TELL YUH , WHOOOOOOOOOO DO YOU LOVE?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!".

• December 4, 2012 10:23 AM CST
    •  Love this version!

• December 4, 2012 9:03 PM CST
    • Exactly. I've also heard that Meek and Geoff Goddard would frequently try to make contact with Holly beyond the grave to seek advice on music they were working on. Freaky.

• December 4, 2012 8:49 PM CST
    • Ryan , That was a good one. Whether Meek really named the day while Buddy was living , or said that he'd made the prediction , when he had'nt , is'nt clear. Holly , of course , was one of Meek's biggest obsessions , and it did'nt even appear to be sexual. He was just that into the guy's music , to the point that he'd kill himself on the anniversary of his death , even.

• December 4, 2012 8:41 PM CST
    • I always liked the story of producer Joe Meek predicting the death of Buddy Holly through the use of a ouija board. Joe felt compelled enough to tell Holly who just so happened to be touring Europe. He supposedly told Holly that he was to die on February 3rd. Of course, that date would come and go without incident...until exactly one year later.

• December 4, 2012 9:02 PM CST
    • I'd love to have heard him do a garage album, which could have been a humdinger. He could start dressing sharply and channel his fury more stylishly. It shows he had great taste in music.  I know he liked a lot of the blues artists, as he said he could listen to that all day, as I can. I could even easily imagine him doing an R&B album too (as in the proper stuff). 

John Battles said:

Yeah , my friend's band , here , did a version of it a few years ago. I forget their name because it's a Japanese name.....The very early Jabbers stuff borders on New Wave OR POWER POP , BUT , I WAS IN TOUCH WITH ONE OF THE GUYS IN THAT BAND , AND HE SAID GG WAS VERY MUCH INTO GARAGE , ROCKABILLY , ETC. 

• December 4, 2012 7:58 PM CST
    • Gonzo , I guess no one answered your question , here , but , drink , drugs , jail and accelerated hard living happened to GG....It is almost hard to believe , when you look at pictures if him , taken at scarcely over a dozen years before his death , he looked like he could have done very well with the ladies. Even in '85 , when I first saw him , he still seemed like somebody the chicks would dig......UNTIL !!!!!! You know , doo doo caca poo poo shiser.

Gonzo said:

Holy crap that's GG ? What ever happened to him ...thanks for the replies.

kopper said:

Always Was, Is and Always Shall Be LP (1980) is indeed fantastic. There are a couple of other early 7" EPs that are worth hunting down, too. The S/T 7" on Orange Records from 1980 is one, GG Allin & The Scumfucs 7" on Blood Rec. (1982?) is another.

• December 4, 2012 6:38 PM CST
    • Yeah , my friend's band , here , did a version of it a few years ago. I forget their name because it's a Japanese name.....The very early Jabbers stuff borders on New Wave OR POWER POP , BUT , I WAS IN TOUCH WITH ONE OF THE GUYS IN THAT BAND , AND HE SAID GG WAS VERY MUCH INTO GARAGE , ROCKABILLY , ETC. 

• December 4, 2012 3:56 PM CST
    • The Dum Dum Girls did a brilliant version of "Don't Talk To Me", with girl group-esque vocals and completely made it their own.

• December 4, 2012 7:52 PM CST
    • This week's program featured music from Them, The Demics, Diamond Rugs, The Soft Pack, The Clash, Young Rival, The Black Lips and more. 

Download the podcast/program here: 
      http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/36-Revolution_Rock-20121204-1030-t1354617001.mp3

A blog post with an interview with Matt of The Soft Pack here:
      http://revrock.blogspot.ca/2012/12/second-look-soft-pack-interview-show-433.html

This week's play list:

1. Bunker Hill - The Girl Can’t Dance
      2. Them – Go On Home Baby
      3. The Regulators - Brainless Wonder
      4. The Demics - Nervous Breakdown
      5. The Hoots – Ghetto Fab
      6. Dean Droulliard – Out of the Blue
      7. Snake River – Wake, Darling, Wake!
      8. Diamond Rugs – Hightail
      9. The Soft Pack – Answer To Yourself
      10. The Soft Pack – Chinatown
      11. The Soft Pack – Tallboy
      12. Papermaps – Nobody Gets It
      13. David Bowie – Station To Station
      14. The Clash – Overpowered By Funk
      15. Tranzmitors – Bigger Houses, Broken Homes
      16. Tranzmitors - Dancing In The Front Row
      17. Young Rival – Black Popcorn
      18. Young Rival – Better Things
      19. Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers – Copycat (Unreleased Live At Max’s Kansas City 1979)
      20. The Rezillos – Bad Guy Reaction
      21. The Black Lips – Everybody’s Doin’ It
      22. The D4 – Get Loose

• December 4, 2012 7:38 PM CST
    • Any movie with a dedication to "The Smell of Charlton Comics" in the credits belongs in your collection.

• December 4, 2012 7:31 PM CST
    • Since we're going back a-ways , it'll be hard to come up with names that have'nt been mentoned (But a majority rule is in order , I guess.).

The Droogs - For doing it when the ink was barely dry on the first Garage Era's death cerificate.

Wildfang - For not really caring if it was hip or not.

Milano/ The Leather Boy - Studio Psych/Biker Rock Garage Genius.

Dean Carter - Demented Rockabilly / Garage Studio Genius.

Stud Cole - Disturbed Lounge Rocker /Handmade Record Genius . Did'nt sound like Elvis meets The Yardbirds , maybe Ral Donner meets The Chocolate Watchband?

Jack Starr - Handmade Horror - J.D. film /Rockabilly and Garage Bathroom Recording Genius.

Donny B. Waugh - Rockabilly meets Garage in 19 - Fucking - 70 , in New Jersey.

The Shitty Beatles - For being over 30 when Deep Ellum (Dallas club district) was "Logan's Run" ,where bands were concerned , and for maintaining a nerdy appearance , which would'nt get you laid for at least 20 years. But , mainly , for knowing Garage Rock meant taking everything you were influenced by , and coming up with something of your own.

Yes , The Shitty Beatles were a real band , before they were referenced in "Wayne's World" and before all the other no - imagination having bands of the same name turned up.

• December 4, 2012 5:24 PM CST
    • CHEATER SLICKS!

Gories

• December 4, 2012 2:35 PM CST
    • Live they're a wild maelstrom of dark energy, too, always movin' around, 1 gtr complementing the other. Bet they're glad they left Beantown, ha! Are they still in Columbus?

• December 4, 2012 2:00 PM CST
    • Fuck, hadn't heard about it! Best of luck, Dana! I don't hear too many bands now that sound pissed off, but the Cheater Slicks always have. What's a punk band if it's not pissed off? (no, it's not a riddle). We need our anger, keep it flowin'!

Favorite LP is Don't Like You, amaaaazing, and they always pick great covers.

2nd fave, Whiskey, (thanks Eric D.) demented.

I'm about to get cut off, I'll post more later.

• December 4, 2012 1:56 PM CST
    • Thanks for pointing that out. Fixed it. YouTube playlists are a pain in the ass sometimes.

Joe said:

The video links to your entire playlist, rather than the Cheater Slicks vid, for some reason. 

• December 4, 2012 1:52 PM CST
    • The video links to your entire playlist, rather than the Cheater Slicks vid, for some reason. 

Anyway, love the Cheater Slicks!  My introduction to their music was pretty recent:  I heard "Spanish Rose" on Eric Davidson's We Never Learn garage punk sampler, and after listening to that tune about a zillion times I purchased Don't Like You.  It's a relief to hear that Dana is recovering quickly from his heart attack.   I narrowly missed seeing them perform live recently - they were scheduled to play back-to-back shows in NYC this summer before he was hospitalized.

• December 4, 2012 10:00 AM CST
    • @ Diogo. I beg to differ.I personally knew Robert Gordon around that time. Elvis died in Aug of 77.  I never heard that version of the story. As I understood it, Fire was written & recorded during the Born To Run sessions & shelved. After Elvis died, Bruce took it off the shelf & offered it to Robert as a tribute to Elvis. I saw Robert play with Link Wray dozens of times back then & remember him playing the song live before it came out on record. The recording came out in early 78.

• December 3, 2012 5:44 PM CST
    • Yeah , I have NO idea why Devito would have wanted the rights.....I think it may have been part of a package , if he bought the rights to a few books he REALLY wanted , he could sit on that one, or use it for a tax loss. But I don't know what the Hell I'm talking about.....

Good "Band" films , there've been some. I liked "The Runaways'' , I did'nt go in , expecting it to be completely accurate , not even close , after reading Cherie's heart - crushing book. I think we talked about that , some time back , tho'.    ''Bummer" was a good account of over - excess among Rock bands , and abusive behavior toward Groupies. You know , I have'nt seen "Breaking Glass" in almost 30 years , but , I remember it following the rise and fall of a "Punk" band , their ascent to fame , and their descent into drugs , egos and progressively crappier music. "RUDE BOY" is similar , because it was done without a script , telling a fictional story about The Clash , which was based on their past , and foretold their future. I saw both movies together in '80 or '81.
      I TRIED to watch "Velvet Goldmine" ....could'nt do it."Blast - Off Girls" was as close to a real Garage Punk movie as there ever was , but , I think we talked about that , earlier , too. I liked "That Thing You Do" , of course , they were'nt supposed to be Garage Punks , but  American Teens more gone on The Beatles than The Stones. THE STORY WORKS , BECAUSE THEY LOST IT AS SOON AS THEY HAD IT.

I'd give a special mention to the nearly - forgotten Fox TV "Elvis : The Early Years" series with Michael St. Gerard (Who also played Elvis in the inconclusive and insulting "Great Balls of Fire"), which follows Elvis AND his band , Scotty and Bill , on the road , and dealing with problems back at home. Special bonus points removed for portraying Sam Phillips as TOTALLY NORMAL , JUST FOR A CHANGE.

MikeL said:

As much as I like Danny Devito's work, I can't envision him making a movie based on "Please Kill Me," unless maybe he plans on making a documentary, which would make sense since the book reads like a documentary.  

I wonder if Devito hung out at CBGB back when he was working on "Taxi."  Maybe he and John Belushi did some blow or smack together at the place.

BTW, since that old link has been changed, here is a new link FYI...

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/david-chase-recalls-teenage...

Enjoy.

John Battles said:

No. Have'nt heard about that CBGB's movie , though , I'll name drop just a bit, and tell you Sylvain Sylvain once told me that Danny Devito owns the film rights to "Please Kill Me". So I got on the phone and said , "Danny , the fuck you thinkin'? "Please Kill Me" is all interviews! How are they gonna get a script from that?".      PSYCH !!!!! I don't really know Danny Devito.

Since this is an older thread , I did'nt know what the connection was to The Sopranos or James Gandolfini.....Is there a rock band film coming out with several members of the cast? When I looked up the link , it said "Ten things you don't know about "Thriller"."(NOT your doing , MikeL.)

How about 10 things we DO know.

1. Vincent Price OWNS the album.

2. Michael sounded less like a little girl when he was TEN.

3."Beat It " contains a sped up imitation "Mississippi Queen"riff.

4. Eddie Van Halen's cameo proves , again , he may be one of the most dexterous guitarists of his ilk , as well as one of the most boring.

5. "The Girl is Mine'' is even worse than "Say , Say , Say".

6. Michael still had most of his original face on the cover.

7.IF i'D WRITTEN SOMETHING AS STUPID , AND AS CREEPILY SEXIST , AS "C.Y.T" , I WOULD NOT BE GOING HOME WITH A GRAMMY. " I want to love you , you love thing. You're just a love thing". Genius lyrics , I know , but , Chip Taylor , he was'nt.

8."Thriller " sold more copies than the combined populations or China , Russia and India because The Cramps were still in legal litigation with their label, and were forbidden to release anything at the time.

9. OK , that one , I made up. But , Jackson turned a Patrimony suit into a hit song. That's fucked up.

10.Quincy Jones would'nt let Vincent Price re-do the first take of the best part of the album , anyway , what Price , himself , called "That idiot laugh! HAAAAAAAH  HAAAAA HAAAAAAA!!!". Should have been a single - "Vincent Price "Thriller Rap " , minus the backing track. He was'nt even credited on the album.

MikeL said:

I liked both "The Runaways" and that movie about the Germs.  I also liked "Velvet Goldmine" and "Almost Famous."  I also love the greatest fictional band movie of them all, "This is Spinal Tap."  The only really bad fictional band band movie I can think of is "Rock Star."  it takes place here in Pittsburgh, but that doesn't make it any better.  

Off topic:  As for "Heaven's Gate," visually it's a stunning movie.  As far as the story and the characters go, it left something to be desired.

BTW, has anyone here heard about a movie that's coming out next year about CBGB?  I'm friends with Cheetah Chrome of the Dead Boys on facebook (I am such a shameless name dropper), and he plays a cab driver who hates punk rock.  

dave said:

Funny coincidence, alright. I was just searchin' for Dana's Page, but I couldn't help myself, mwahahahaaaa!

While I agree with, well, all of Dana's criticisms, your points are right on target. It's the director who makes or breaks it, as long as the script and acting are solid. Best of luck to 'em.

(Off-topic: I've never seen Heaven's Gate, I've been told that it holds up better now-days)

Weird, just the other day, I was thinkin' about those Germs and Runaways movies that disappeared w/o a trace. And there was that Joan Jett/Michael Fox thing...

Do you have any fictional rock films that work?

• December 4, 2012 4:15 AM CST
    • Any word on if Flying Saucer Rock n Roll has gone for good? No new episode since April and the picture has disappeared from the Podcast Jukebox. I know Dan was putting out episodes infrequently but I was hopeful he would return with episode 70 this year.

• December 4, 2012 1:49 AM CST
    • Yay! Another 'OO 'EAD! Ok, so, anything in particular that influenced you -- I love hearing this stuff, esp. if it involves the 'OO.

I'm curious too why some people who like garagepunk aren't particularly fond of the Who...

Gets me to thinking... and listening. Nice one re the vid link choice. :D

BLACKCAT69 said:

Finding about The Who at an early age created an indelible impression on me that has influenced all my musical taste to present day.  My avatar says it all.  It's all in good fun too. I'm a Who-Head too!  Like Senor Starr said....there's too much good to say! 
      Hell....dig this one: 

• December 4, 2012 12:40 AM CST
    • My blog is a reviews blog. I review mostly metal, rock and punk but a lot of other stuff comes my way http://smalltakeover.blogspot.com I try to update at least weekly.

• December 3, 2012 9:09 PM CST

• "Paint it , Black" - The REAL  Brian Jones Town Massacre-

"No more will my green seagull turn a deeper blue..."

"No more will my green sea go turn a deeper blue..."

John Battles said:

Thought of a couple -   Blues Magoos - "Sometimes I Think About" (aka "Willie Jean".)

"Here I am , sitting on this goddamn farm." ,  "Here I am , sitting on this county farm.".

Buzzcocks - "Orgasm Addict" -  'Johnny won't fuck you ,always and all ways" ,

"Johnny want fuckee , always and all ways .''.

Nervebreakers - "Girls , Girls , Girls" - "I just can't fuck myself ....Leather , leather . OH ! OH !"    ,       " I JUST CAN'T STOP MYSELF , LET ME ! LET ME ! OH ! OH !".

13th Floor Elevators - "You Don't Know (How Young You Are.)  - "Her daily life revolves around a thousand Eddie Haskells."   ''....A thousand petty hassles.".

Rolling Stones section - "It's All Over Now" - "Playin' her high class games" , "Playin' her half - assed games" (Or is it the other way around?").

"2000 mAN" - "OH , DADDY , PROUD OF YOUR PHALLIC"    , " Oh , Daddy , proud of your planet.".

"When The Whip Comes Down" - "Schizo f*gs  been sittin on the can".   'Shit hits the fan , and I've been sittin' on the can".

'Jumpin' Jack Flash" -  "I was raised by a toothless bat in Hell." ,  "I was raised by a toothless bearded hag".     "I found as the crud slides across my breath." , "I frowned at the crumbs of a crust of bread."

"Street Fightin' Man " - "Yeah , til we name these gorgeous girls , once". , "....YEAH , SAID THE GAME IS CALLED DISTURBANCE".

"You Can't Always Get What You Want" - "To get your prescription beer"  ,   "To get your prescription filled".""

"Happy'' - " Never wanna be like Bob Dylan was , working for the boss , every night and day"....."whatever the fuck he said".

"Satisfaction" - "How white lined shirts compete , I can't get no..."    '' How white my shirts should be".

19TH Nervous Breakdown  - "When you were still in school , you had that boo , really messed your mind"     ,    '"...YOU MET THAT FOOL WHO REALLY MESSED YOUR MIND."

(NOTE : "BOO" IS AN ANCIENT EXPRESSION FOR MARIJUANA.).

"Think" - "Tell me what's wrong with my face ?" , "Tell me whose fault was that , babe?". 

"Lennon , Harrison and Brian are beating the shit out of Allen Klein"

(Secret backmasking , "Doom and Gloom .").

• December 3, 2012 6:11 PM CST
    • thanks for putting that up. I'm listening right now and enjoying it a lot.

Pete Jackson said:

Hello - might I humbly suggest you give Dandelion Radio a listen? We 're 'inspired by John Peel', voted no. 1 place to find new music by the Louder Than War blog, and official home to John Peel's Festive Fifty. Plus, there's usually some garage, psych and rock n roll on my show every month.

Let me know if you get the chance to listen

www.dandelionradio.com

pete@dandelionradio.com