Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• November 14, 2012 1:47 PM CST
    • More than likely the Three O' Clock did, because the lead singer was previously in the Salvation Army, wasn't he? I can't remember...I know they were the only "paisley underground" band that were signed to Prince's "Paisley Park" label, which kind of surprises me that he didn't try and sign more in that genre. I guess he was just too focused in the R&B market...

Chris Henniker said:

Didn't the Three O'Clock play at punk tempos? I Know Mind Garden was played at those speeds, but who else did (or do)?

• November 13, 2012 2:16 PM CST
    • Didn't the Three O'Clock play at punk tempos? I Know Mind Garden was played at those speeds, but who else did (or do)?

• November 14, 2012 12:28 PM CST
    • Hows' bout this. One of few tracks i would play in my set, over the original. Fay Fife, who was born not far from my home town Dundee, is an absolute goddess. Saw them in Aberdeen about 6 months ago and they still RAWK! Even the new stuff had balls the size of King Kong's!!!

http://youtu.be/kPP6WZgH9rI

• November 14, 2012 10:41 AM CST
    • The Rezillos - Destination Venus

• November 14, 2012 6:27 AM CST
    • Goosebumps

• November 14, 2012 5:43 AM CST
    • not a good example for a duet-song but so amusing!

• November 14, 2012 5:35 AM CST
    • Mike, lots of great stuff! Fantastic!

Mike said:

Holly Golightly & Micky (Milkshake) Hampshire aka Hipbone Slim.

But there are a ton of great 'duets' and probably some better examples of her style out there that Holly has done with of course Billy Childish, Dan Melchoir, in the Brokeoffs, etc etc etc etc etc....

Now for the 70's/80's.....

There is Lemmy & Kelly Johnson singing Johnny Kid's song as Motorheadschool or Headgirl (I think it )

The Rezillos - 

Debbie Harry doing backing vocals for the Ramones

• November 14, 2012 5:13 AM CST
    • I´m agree with you!
      (Although, i don´t like Alexander Hacke´s voice that much)

Andy Climax said:

Nancy and Lee's version is the ultimate, but this is an amazing version of Summer Wine. 

• November 14, 2012 10:59 AM CST
    • Hey Allan, I was just wondering if you managed to do those questions? No worries if your too busy though, of course! Cheers

• November 14, 2012 2:50 AM CST
    • When I was young I thought the Drowning Pool song with the lyrics "let the bodies hit the floor" was "let the potty overflow" (I was pretty young)

• November 13, 2012 8:56 PM CST
    • ...At least The Buzzcocks are still at it , and doing great shows.
      Have'nt seen 'em since Tony Barber (Also of The Creation , SHAM 69 , 999 , and , though he denies it , sources say , The Pork Dukes.) left the band .

The Cramps I saw.....ummmmm.....Nine times , BUT , I was living in Dallas (OK , and ARLINGTON , A FATE WORSE THAN THE BIG "D" , BEFORE THAT.) for the majority of The 80's , and a big fight broke OUT AT THEIR GIG AT CARDI'S IN DALLAS IN EITHER LATE 1980 , OR EARLY '81 (IT WAS WITH JULIEN GRIENSNATCH , THEIR GUITARIST BETWEEN BRYAN AND KID. ). They were'nt in a hurry to come back , and , by the time I did see them , here , in Chicago , in 1990 , I'd been jonesin' for nine years to see them. AT LEAST , I GOT TO SEE THEM SEVERAL TIMES AFTER THAT , BUT , I WOULD HAVE LIKED TO HAVE SEEN THEM WITH BRYAN AND/OR KID.

JOHNNY CASH IS'NT A MEGA - STAR. HE'S A GOD. I was very fortunate , I saw him twice before his big comeback. The second time , he exited thru the building with the fans , thru the lobby , about 10 minutes after the show. I saw him walk into a CAB , NOT A LIMO . THAT WAS ALMOST COOLER THAN THE SHOW ITSELF

My Dad saw Sinatra in the 40's at The Chicago Theatre. My parents saw Sinatra with Buddy Rich in the early 80's. No , Frank did'nt punch Buddy out.
       melissa scott said:

Touchy subject -- if you've ever missed a band and regretted it... you later live by the rule, get your ass out the door and go hear more live music.

You don't know if that show playing on your weekend will some day be THAT SHOW of THAT BAND. So, go and hear more live shows, m'kay?

Regret Missing: Pistols. Old, new, whatever. Went to a Professionals show to console myself, but that ain't the same thang. PIL live didn't do the trick either.

Anyone who knows me knows I'll go pretty damned far for a show. After 2 attempts, I finally made it to hear Roky Erickson a few weeks ago. But, I made it. And yeah, I've been known to drive several states over to hear a band.

Regret Missing: More Cramps shows -- I just kept missing those and only heard 'em once, which is sad.

Regret Missing: Johnny Cash -- ok, not garage and a mega-star, but never got to hear him sing and that is a downright shame. *sigh*

Joy Division -- to hear what the fuss was about. Ditto Nirvana, though I had several chances, missed that completely. I was going through a blues phase and wouldn't go. Wished I'd seen XRay Specs, The Adverts, and of course, the Buzzcocks (yeah, never got to hear them play :(  Never heard Willie DeVille play live either!

I'll include Frank Sinatra, yeah, had several chances to hear him sing and wished I did, even when he was past his prime, it would have been interesting.

Most of all, I wish I could have heard The New York Dolls when they started. I was way too young; what a bummer. I still love them and never get tired of their music. 

• November 13, 2012 7:16 PM CST
    • Touchy subject -- if you've ever missed a band and regretted it... you later live by the rule, get your ass out the door and go hear more live music.

You don't know if that show playing on your weekend will some day be THAT SHOW of THAT BAND. So, go and hear more live shows, m'kay?

Regret Missing: Pistols. Old, new, whatever. Went to a Professionals show to console myself, but that ain't the same thang. PIL live didn't do the trick either.

Anyone who knows me knows I'll go pretty damned far for a show. After 2 attempts, I finally made it to hear Roky Erickson a few weeks ago. But, I made it. And yeah, I've been known to drive several states over to hear a band.

Regret Missing: More Cramps shows -- I just kept missing those and only heard 'em once, which is sad.

Regret Missing: Johnny Cash -- ok, not garage and a mega-star, but never got to hear him sing and that is a downright shame. *sigh*

Joy Division -- to hear what the fuss was about. Ditto Nirvana, though I had several chances, missed that completely. I was going through a blues phase and wouldn't go. Wished I'd seen XRay Specs, The Adverts, and of course, the Buzzcocks (yeah, never got to hear them play :(  Never heard Willie DeVille play live either!

I'll include Frank Sinatra, yeah, had several chances to hear him sing and wished I did, even when he was past his prime, it would have been interesting.

Most of all, I wish I could have heard The New York Dolls when they started. I was way too young; what a bummer. I still love them and never get tired of their music. 

• November 13, 2012 1:36 PM CST
    • My pleasure. We've at least has the good fortune to see some of the original Rockabillies , some , sadly , driving in Elvis' solid gold Cadillac (THREE TIMES THE SIZE OF THE ONE AT THE Country Music Hall of Fame Museum , which EVERYONE should visit , in Nashville.).

• November 13, 2012 8:36 PM CST
    • It would have been nice if The Who had done a few more stripped - down affairs to leave with an understanding....And , Quadrophenia could have benefitted from SOME MORE FUCKING GUITARS , PETE , but , sure , I have a copy. I even have a copy of "Tommy" , mainly because I found an original on Decca , stone mint for $2. I figured I'd want to play it again , someday (My 1st copy was stolen in 1980.), that was about 10 years ago. I do like the movie , though Arthur Brown should have sung the whole of "Eyesight To The Blind", and Alice Cooper should have played Cousin Kevin. Think about it. But , there were later tracks I still like too , like "I Don't Even Know Myself" , "Relay" , "Water" , even "The Who By Mumbers" has some good rockers on it.   As for The Jam , you'd think girls would've liked them in their spiffy haircuts and suits. But , maybe they were too aggro for many young women of the day ? At least , in the states . Or , possibly , just too loud. One of my friends saw them at The Riviera in Chicago (He may have meantThe Park West.)  , and said he had to adjourn to the men's bog , and listen from there , because they were SO FUCKING LOUD.

melissa scott said:

Well, the Who were my first Big Band, ya neh? Me and Trixie, 12-year-old DJ wannabees, would record our own radio shows full of Who tracks. I'm with trashman -- if only they had done a few more low-fi, raw albums before traveling at lightspeed to Rock Opera! One can only imagine... Still, Quadraphenia comes miles before Tommy on my stereo and for all their worldwide fame and notoriety, they still don't get the airplay of the Stones or Beatles, which probably suits me anyhow.

Hey Gringo -- I reckon you are onto something tho' -- the whole larikin/lad aspect of the Who make them a decidedly blokey band. Ditto when the Jam first toured the US. I remember being one of the few females to venture out in front of the stage (well, there were a lot of jumping boys going nuts) and no screaming girls. Hmmmm. Less girlie appeal means fewer top 40 hits? Anyway, you can't sell teen mags that way, a contributor to the different fortunes, not that the Who didn't sell records, but... they always seemed to have one foot in the alleyway.

Must now go and play some early 'OO clips to work by.

• November 13, 2012 8:20 PM CST
    • You have to see "The Kids are All Right" or various other documentaries to get a feel for how truly anti - social these boys could be , EVEN AFTER they were rolling in the dough.....

We did'nt really know how badly The Ramones actually got along , until Dee Dee left , and after the band broke up. With the Who , their business was in the street.

Gringo Starr said:

Thee 'OO!! Probably third place in the 'Holy Trinity' of the British Invasion by most enthusiasts but they are my favorite! Yes, I am an American, a total U.S. 'Garage-in-the-mid-sixties' freak and a die-hard Who fan!! Arguably the first Punk band in Rock and Roll history as well as having one member blow away the song writing skills of Lennon/Macartney (spelling?) and Jagger/Richards in a single bound (starting with The Who Sells Out). I love the whole sordid story of these boys, the four opposite personalities, the fights onstage and the love that would come later. The music of the Who is by far the most timeless out of the other two bands mentioned above and I expect time will prove that out (in time). Way too much for me to say about these lads so just let me get on the board here; I am one of the Who-Heads!

• November 13, 2012 8:13 PM CST
    • I agree....I   CAN'T LEAVE THE ROOM WHEN "MY GENERATION" OR "ANYWAY , ANYHOW , ANYWHERE" , AND , OF COURSE , "CAN'T EXPLAIN" COME ON ,
       Regardless of how many times I've heard them....All those songs , and most of their early repertoirre , had that Punk swagger. "Anyway , Anyhow , Anywhere" sounds like a John Cage /Stockhausen Rock'n'Roll nightmare ,  before The Red Krayola arrived. The idea of using feedback as an instrument was quickly picked up by Hendrix , The MC5 , Blue Cheer , and a Godzillion others , upon being exposed to Townsend's angry attack , which was his way of preceding Punk as we now know it......

Besides , not did only "Summertime Blues" have it , but , especially the opener, "My Generation" on "Live at Leeds" sounds as hard and fast as anything The Sex Pistols did. One of the guys in Def Leppard said "I DEFY ANY METAL BAND TO SOUND AS HEAVY AS THE WHO DID ON THAT LIVE VERSION OF "MY GENERATION" , AND THOSE VOCALS , TOTAL JAMES BROWN ! ". So true. Regardless of the source.
      trashman said:

Despite hearing the song a hundred thousand times, I still max the volume for My Generation every time I catch it on the radio.  I also need a regular dose of Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere (including the Live Five version which I just clicked on to complete this post).  

The early stuff is just downright incredible (all their stuff is but in regards to punk).  But obviously their talent was too big to just stay in the lo-fi garage standard.  Amazing to think Tommy was their 4th studio album, they had evolved that much, that quickly.  By 1967 they had horns in their tracks (Pictures of Lily).  After all, Entwistle was a french horn player I have read.

Obviously, for the overall world of Rock-n-Roll we should be pleased they developed the way they did.  But I wish they had put out another album or two before they went so rock opera so I had a few more raw songs.  Probably timing, maybe if they came out just a year or two earlier things would have moved differently.  To me, their best return to the veracity of the early stuff was their cover of "Summertime Blues".  

• November 13, 2012 8:00 PM CST
    • Yeah , it's kind of pointless to used their later Stadium Rock status as some kind of buffer to undermine The Who's influence...... I mean , even Led Zeppelin have had Punk cred since the 80's ....Not by me , they have'nt , but , "Underground" bands like The Flaming Lips and The Cult wore their Zeppelin stripes proudly in The 80's . THAT AND "Tommy " era  Who , as opposed to DUM ! DUM ! DUM ! DURANG ! CALL ME LIGHTNING , MOTHER FUCKER  ! RUN , RUN , RUN ! OUT IN THE STREET ! THE GOOD'S GONE !  I HAVE'NT GOT 11 KIDS , I WERE'NT KILLED IN BAGHDAD , I AIN'T ARF MICRONESIAN , AND I DID'NT KILL YOUR DAD . IT'S NOT TRUE , IT'S NOT TRUE , I'M TELLING YOU , WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT THE WHO , FRIENDS , IT'S NOT TRUE. 

melissa scott said:

Hmmmm, I seem to recall several conversations regarding The 'OO and garage... Are the Who so incredibly tied to STADIUM RAWK now that they're not worth discussing re garage? I just can't believe it's true! Did the '70's block our Who-dar in the Hideout?

Too commercial to discuss? I'm interested in hearing about who have been influenced by the Who musically, personally, whatever. Me? I can't think of garagepunk without thinking about a certain 'attitude' -- and a sound that ingested early R&B, blues, then spit it back out in a new form. The Who had that basement, raw, obnoxious sound.

Could there be any more opinionated, snot-nosed, punks than Townsend in his prime? Could anyone mess up their kit better than Moon? There'd be no '70's punk without 'em. And certainly no Jam (well, duh).

Who are the Who-Heads? :D

• November 13, 2012 6:49 PM CST
    • Well, the Who were my first Big Band, ya neh? Me and Trixie, 12-year-old DJ wannabees, would record our own radio shows full of Who tracks. I'm with trashman -- if only they had done a few more low-fi, raw albums before traveling at lightspeed to Rock Opera! One can only imagine... Still, Quadraphenia comes miles before Tommy on my stereo and for all their worldwide fame and notoriety, they still don't get the airplay of the Stones or Beatles, which probably suits me anyhow.

Hey Gringo -- I reckon you are onto something tho' -- the whole larikin/lad aspect of the Who make them a decidedly blokey band. Ditto when the Jam first toured the US. I remember being one of the few females to venture out in front of the stage (well, there were a lot of jumping boys going nuts) and no screaming girls. Hmmmm. Less girlie appeal means fewer top 40 hits? Anyway, you can't sell teen mags that way, a contributor to the different fortunes, not that the Who didn't sell records, but... they always seemed to have one foot in the alleyway.

Must now go and play some early 'OO clips to work by.

• November 13, 2012 1:30 PM CST
    • Thank you. That's what I'm talkin' bout my g...g...De - generation. I'll be back , later  ,to respond to your comments. Ready Steady Go was a great show, believe it or not , The Disney Channel used to show it , but , Dave Clark wisely bought the whole fam dangle years ago , but , that meant he could distribute clips sparingly at his leisure. I have two really good VHS tapes from the 80's. The Who are on 'em , as well as the Stones , Them , that GREAT aNIMALS CLIP AND OTHERS.... 

• November 13, 2012 1:02 PM CST
    • is from the tradewinds

louiske de vos said:

the 60's recording stands on the cd land of 1000 dunces of candy records (1994)

kopper said:

I used to spin "Aba-Daba Do Dance" on my old radio show all the time, but I never knew when it was recorded. It totally sounds like a '60s recording, but I'm pretty sure it was newer... right? Were they a '90s band?

Aside from that single, I know nothing about T. Lance & the Coctails. Did they record anything else?

• November 13, 2012 12:51 PM CST
    • In Brooklyn/NYC, Graveyard Lovers, Coach N Commando, and The Othermen are excellent.

• November 13, 2012 12:46 PM CST
    • GRACE POTTER (THE NOCTURNALS):)