Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• November 15, 2012 4:52 PM CST
    • The greatest medium there's ever been surely. It's fuckin great when you tune in and hear a track or band you haven't heard or thought about in ages. It's played again and it's like the first time you heard'em all over again. Listenin to Gideon Coe on 6Music (BBC alternativeish channel). He just played some Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet. Haven't listened to'em for years.Now where's ma Sport Fishin' album.

• November 15, 2012 4:50 PM CST
    • I saw their second gig at a party my magazine's publisher threw in New Cross, purely by chance.

Andy Climax said:

Never got ma head around the Klaxxons really, but that doesn't mean shit. They've made a real name for themselves over here, especially in Scotland. Glasgow is mad for'em. Raw with that DIY feel. Y'gotta love bands that keep it on the ground and stick to their roots.

Chris Henniker said:

I know the bass player from Klaxons, Jamie Reynolds, who worked at the late Essential Records shop in Greenwich Market. Great bass player.

• November 15, 2012 4:44 PM CST
    • Never got ma head around the Klaxxons really, but that doesn't mean shit. They've made a real name for themselves over here, especially in Scotland. Glasgow is mad for'em. Raw with that DIY feel. Y'gotta love bands that keep it on the ground and stick to their roots.

Chris Henniker said:

I know the bass player from Klaxons, Jamie Reynolds, who worked at the late Essential Records shop in Greenwich Market. Great bass player.

• November 15, 2012 4:21 PM CST
    • Wasn't that done as a joke?

John Battles said:

If you want a good head - scratcher , seek out The Seclusions' album. Probably the only 60's Garage - Disco crossover album , EVER. Joey Ramone , Mickey Leigh (His Brother.) , Holly Beth Vincent (Joey's then - girlfiend.) , Jay Dee Daugherty , Busta Jones, and a plethora of other names  could'nt savethe record from being much more than a curiosity.

• November 15, 2012 4:14 PM CST
    • Another myth i heard fro a friend recently was, that Nickleback were good? is this true?

• November 15, 2012 4:09 PM CST
    • Does the Paul Mccartney's dead rumour count? Abbey Road'n'all that guff. Back then i suppose it was news. Now, after the last album, it would be a blessing! (only joking of course)

• November 15, 2012 3:32 PM CST
    • Well we all know the Rod Stewart one.

But what I find interesting is how it all evolved.  I remember hearing it back in 4th or 5th grade (1979 or 80); but I heard it from a kid in a lunch room.  And I thought it sort of started there. Then I met kids in other high schools and they knew it.  Then onto college and they knew it.  Then professional life living all over the U.S. and they knew it.  

This rumor was spread before the days of the internet so remarkable the way it carried along an oral tradition (no pun intended) of storytelling.  Of course, we all got to an age we knew it was false but remarkable to the extent this dirty little rumor spread.  

I recently heard Rod Stewart address while doing the media tour for his new book.  It was started by an ex-publicist he fired.  Remarkable.  

The way this story spread via person to person in the late 70s/80s is worth a book in itself.

• November 15, 2012 1:42 PM CST
    • The James Brown vs. Joe Tex debacle has many twists and turns. Hello ,James Porter !
      Tell the good people about it , James......

I knew an older Black gentleman who claimed to have performed with the best , as a Little Richard impersonator (Right after Richard got religion. THERE WAS DEMAND FOR SOMEONE WHO COULD DO HIS ACT.). He certainly knew enough about certain performers , I had no cause to doubt him . He even asked me , "Do you know what happened to my good friend in Texas? Esq....ESQUERITA ?". Of course , I had to tell him. But , he told me Joe Tex was the best performer he'd ever seen , and that James Brown got a lot of his schtick from him.

Screamin' Jay Hawkins had a talent for not telling the same story , the same way , twice , or changing his opinion of another performer at the drop of a hat.
      I don't knock it , that's human nature.....to an extent , anyway.
      When I met Hawkins , he was talking about how James Brown challenged him to a scream - off. He said he told him , "OK , I WILL SCREAM YOU INTO THE GROUND , DOING ONE OF YOUR SONGS !" ....So , they both sang "Please , Please , Please" together , and , when it was over "James Brown has hackin' and coughin' , and I said , "I told you ! It's time for the pupil to meet the master!"......But , in Spin (Yes , Spin was half worth a damn , many years ago.) , Screamin' Jay said he did a bill with Brown at The Apollo ,and the Famous Flames , who were to back everyone , did'nt want any part of him. So , he told them , "OK , you don't have to rehearse with me. I WILL DO ALL JAMES BROWN SONGS FOR MY SET.". So , that's what he did. James Brown appeared backstage ,flanked by two bodyguards , saying "Man , you do a HELL of a job with MY songs !". Jay said , "N***** , why don't you turn one of those gorillas on me , right now ?!". When he did , Jay produced a 357 Magnum , and said , "I'd like to see any motherfucker break thrugh THIS !!!".

WHO KNOWS WHICH STORY IS CLOSER TO THE TRUTH? IT'S ALL IN THE NAME OF ENTERTAINMENT.

As for Ray Davies , there's no doubt he was stressed out , and had a run of bad luck (3 year Ban from The US , anyone?). But , he's probably the luckiest man alive. When he and his Brother went to John Wayne Gacy's house , at least he had'nt begun his killing spree.

• November 15, 2012 7:34 AM CST
    • I love these kinds of stories!  I even started an recurring short in Nix Comics about these kinds of myths:

Joe Tex and James Brown's feud from issue #3 (Art by Matt Wyatt):

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B0iakJ5yvUeUNlBzRnVPNXQxUzQ

Ray Davies's mental Break Down from issue #4 (Art by Darren Merinuk)

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B0iakJ5yvUeUc0djbkREYzhfM0U

In upcoming issues I'm going to do Screamin' Jay Hawkins going into the studio with the intent of laying down a classic-smooth love ballad and coming out with "I Put A Spell On You" and the mysterious circumstances behind the death of Bobby Fuller.

• November 15, 2012 1:29 PM CST
    • DESTROY ALL MONSTERS :)

• November 15, 2012 1:01 PM CST
    • CYNDEE

• November 15, 2012 12:43 PM CST
    • HOPE SANDOVAL :):):)

• November 15, 2012 12:38 PM CST
    • THE MYNABIRDS:)

• November 15, 2012 12:36 PM CST
    • LIZ PHAIR

• November 15, 2012 12:35 PM CST
    • Are TV still around???:)

Heineken Shot said:

Gotta be  Xmal Deutchland, Joan Jet, Siouxie + the Banshees, The Primitives, We've Got A Fuzzbox, Transvision Vamp, The Breeders, Curve, X-Ray Spex and the Selecter.

(to name a few)

• November 15, 2012 12:16 PM CST
    • Gotta be  Xmal Deutchland, Joan Jet, Siouxie + the Banshees, The Primitives, We've Got A Fuzzbox, Transvision Vamp, The Breeders, Curve, X-Ray Spex and the Selecter.

(to name a few)

• November 15, 2012 7:43 AM CST
    • Ok, I'll repeat myself and post this one again here, cuz I was just yackin' with Annie Oaktree about how much I love Chrissy Amphlett -- sorry to others here who've already heard this one... but... I really love this duet -- it's sounds nastier somehow as Chrissy has a few years on the young man she's singin' with. Call it the Cougar version? I like... Ok, Chris Cheney is outclassed here, sorry boys...

I like this show's duets because the artists clearly have very little rehearsal time -- so it's all pretty raw.and that's the way we like it here in the Hideout...

• November 15, 2012 6:00 AM CST
    • Yep Nero, on acoustic background both sounds great as well!
      Thanx, never heard before!

Nero said:

Gotta admit, I'm a huge X fan myself. I'd go so far as to rate the first four albums, up to 'More Fun In The New World'; could never get past the terrible sound of 'Ain't Love Grand', though. However, the Knitters did do a great version of 'Burning House of Love', which is surely tailor made for this thread that you've got going!

Tersicore said:

I must admit, a sit of honor goes to X  on this thread. The way you describe the two voices John, is just perfect! The symbiosis of the two voices is the characteristic feature distinguish this band from any other at any time.
      I still love the first two albums (Los Angeles most) and because i discovered those amazing early vids i can´t help but posting:
      (BTW:sorry for raping your language!)

DAMN! I wish so bad, i had been present, among the audience!!
      but at least, we in Europe, could listen to the "No NY" and the "Yes LA" compilations even on the same day, quite without shame! :D

John Battles said:

I thought somebody did mention X , or , I would have , earlier....John and Exenes' vocals are like watching stunt planes....I mean , sometimes perfectly aligned , and sometimes going off in other  directions ,  and coming back. People said Exene could'nt carry a tune , but , X had a plan. It was / is a perfect vessel for her. Besides , that's a load of rubbish. I've always loved her voice , from the first time I heard it , more than 30 years ago. Of course  she's really come into her own doing Country MATERIAL , ON HER OWN AND WITH THE KNITTERS.

Mutants of the Holocaust said:

What?! No references to 'X'? How about their cover of Breathless for starters.

..and for a change of tempo...Leonard Cohen/Jenifer Warnes - Joan of Arc ..beautiful.

• November 15, 2012 5:32 AM CST
    • Melissa, he he, i know who you mean now!
      You are welcome to post the really cool ones in here too, if you like!

and i´m sure you´re right, the best duets remain the improvised on crazy nights!

melissa scott said:

Like cool duets? Check out the Rockwiz duets on YouTube -- some really cool ones featured on that show (shot at The Espy, in Melbourne). I've posted some of my faves elsewhere on the Hideout, including some killers with Chrissy Amphlett :D.

I can't go past the vocal pairings in X as faves (already mentioned above) still the best in my book. 

Best duets are the impromptu ones that occur at live shows when different bands get together on a crazy night. Most of the time, they're left unrecorded, etched in the audience's memory.

• November 15, 2012 5:22 AM CST
    • Gotta admit, I'm a huge X fan myself. I'd go so far as to rate the first four albums, up to 'More Fun In The New World'; could never get past the terrible sound of 'Ain't Love Grand', though. However, the Knitters did do a great version of 'Burning House of Love', which is surely tailor made for this thread that you've got going!

Tersicore said:

I must admit, a sit of honor goes to X  on this thread. The way you describe the two voices John, is just perfect! The symbiosis of the two voices is the characteristic feature distinguish this band from any other at any time.
      I still love the first two albums (Los Angeles most) and because i discovered those amazing early vids i can´t help but posting:

but at least, we in Europe, could listen to the "No NY" and the "Yes LA" compilations even on the same day, quite without shame! :D

John Battles said:

I thought somebody did mention X , or , I would have , earlier....John and Exenes' vocals are like watching stunt planes....I mean , sometimes perfectly aligned , and sometimes going off in other  directions ,  and coming back. People said Exene could'nt carry a tune , but , X had a plan. It was / is a perfect vessel for her. Besides , that's a load of rubbish. I've always loved her voice , from the first time I heard it , more than 30 years ago. Of course  she's really come into her own doing Country MATERIAL , ON HER OWN AND WITH THE KNITTERS.

..and for a change of tempo...Leonard Cohen/Jenifer Warnes - Joan of Arc ..beautiful.

• November 15, 2012 5:00 AM CST
    • I must admit, a sit of honor goes to X  on this thread. The way you describe the two voices John, is just perfect! The symbiosis of the two voices is the characteristic feature distinguish this band from any other at any time.

John Battles said:

• November 15, 2012 6:26 AM CST
    • Cheers, I'm glad you think so. Sorry, didn't want you to think I was rushing you or anything! Thanks again.

• November 15, 2012 6:14 AM CST
    • Hello Adam,

I haven't forgotten, just been busy for the last couple of weeks. Your questions deserve a bit of time spent on them so I don't want to just knock out a few token answers. I want to make it worth your while!

• November 15, 2012 3:05 AM CST
    • Going to donate right now, not much else one can do from Scandinavia...
      Hats off to Simon^ !