Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• November 12, 2012 5:53 AM CST
    • Two in the mix for ya. Britains very own 'Ten Benson' and 'Kid Congo and the Pink Monkey Birds' Fabulous schlock'n'roll. 'Unnatural Helpers' might be worth a shout as well. 'Black Angels' '18th Dye' and 'Future of the Left' are just sublime. 'Pissed Jeans' rock! Hope this helps

• November 11, 2012 8:51 PM CST
    • I don't really compare them musically, but they're all Cramps influenced one way or another, the vibes are there. Sting-Rays sounds good, a little more psychobilly but i liked them; Art Phag is very good! Gonna definitely look for more of their stuff. Whats the name f you bands, send me some stuff; if its deja voodoo influenced i'll probably like it dont worry about the rest.

Axel said:

I wouldn't compare the Purple Things to Deja Voodoo or Bone Orchard but I agree that their first two records on Media Burn are fantastic. If you haven't heard them yet listen to the Vibes, the band the singer had before the 'Things'. Early Sting-Rays might appeal to you, too, like their 1st EP and LP 'Dinosaurs' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiL4CIzDFyc. Another 2-piece band similar to Deja Voodoo(but nowhere as great) was 'Art Phag', on Wanghead Records http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dakg0QpkKQw&feature=related 

I played in a band heavily influenced by Deja Voodoo in the mid 80s but we were sooo bad, I can't recommend listening to us, lol.

MADD BLAKE said:

Deja Voodoo is great, it got to listen to a few tracks from House Of Knives in a Myspace page,  sounds very good! I like the Gun Club too and I listened to Blowstops and sounds good too. Thank you both. I found this other band that sounds similar to the bands mentiones before, 'The Purple Things' you guys should check them out in youtube. 

• November 11, 2012 8:44 PM CST
    • Yes I reciently listened to the Chrome Cranks and Jesus Lizard i dig em both, good bands; gonna look for the others now

Robert Bell said:

I'm a big fan of Birthday Party, and although these might not be in the exact same vein, heres a few I'm diggin' on:  The U-Men, Cows (Cunning Stunts is me fave), Chrome Cranks, Jesus Lizard, Hammerhead, God Bullies, Rudimentary Peni...

• November 11, 2012 8:40 PM CST
    • Listened to God Bullies, good band; and you're right no one sounds like the Cramps but there are a lot of good bands influenced by them who have their own unique sound, like Deja Voodoo for example like you said. I checked out The Dyes & 3-D invisible are good too!

John Battles said:

. If you like the bands you mentioned....maybe I'm dead wrong , but , I saw God Bullies once , and they sounded a lot like The Birthday Party to me. I started listening to The Jazz Butcher again , recently. They were all over the place . Loosely associated with the whole Garage/Trash /Psychobilly thing , as was some of the Goth and Gloom MUSIC HAPPENING AT THE TIME. Lindsay Hutton told me "The Cure , The Cramps and Siouxsie have NOTHING in common except that maybe they all use a lot of hairspray !".....You might want to check out the Blood on The Cats (LP and Video) and Revenge of The Killer Pussies" (LP) comps if you have'nt already. Bone Orchard and Inca Babies appear on 'em , as well as The Stingrays , Vibes , Milkshakes , Screaming Lord Sutch , Sharks ,  Even Shockabilly. NO ONE sounds like The Cramps , but , they influenced so many other bands. Deja Voodoo , admittedly ,  sound like a Cramps bootleg. That's GOOD. In more recent years , The Dyes wear their influence like a badge. 3-D Invisibles are'nt really Crampesque , but , they're some of the best modern Horror/Novelty Punk Rock.

• November 12, 2012 5:15 AM CST
    • No room in there for  Ray and Dave Davies? Surely, 'Everybody's Gonna Be Happy' is pure garage gold. 'Waterloo Sunset' would bring a tear to any glass eye. Perhaps another topic in there? 'Bands sadly overlooked, even by the Punkers'. We should always 'question reality' because we can seldom get to question those who shape it!

• November 11, 2012 6:38 PM CST
    • As my bumper sticker reads Question Reality ?  This big round ball we live on that floats in the middle of nowhere can sometimes seem like hell.

• November 11, 2012 6:04 PM CST
    • Oh , boy . Such a loaded question...i DON'T KNOW IF i STILL BELIEVE IN hEAVEN IN THE TRADITIONAL SENSE, THOUGH i HAVE CAUGHT MYSELF USING IT AS A CATCH - ALL PHRASE.

FOR STARTERS , I can readily see Eddie , Gene ,  Marc , Elvis , Carl , Bo ,  Johnnys Burnette , Cash , Ramone and Thunders , Joey , Dee Dee ,  Brian Jones , Sir Doug , Roy "o" , Link , LUX OF COURSE , Screamin' Jay Hawkins ,  Rob Tyner , Michael Davis , Fred "Sonic" Smith , Jerry NOLAN , RONNIE BOND , Hasil , Dave Day , Roger Johnston , Sean Bonniwell , Razzle , Steve Marriott , Ronnie "Plonk" Lane* , Ron Asheton , Dave Alexander ,  Arthur Lee , Syd Barrett , Dickie Peterson , Janis Martin , Barbara Pittman , Paula Pierce , Richie Teeter , Bryan Gregory , Lord Sutch , DJ JOHN PEEL , HOSS ALLEN , THE REAL DON STEELE , MAD MIKE ,THE MAD DADDY , AND , of course , YOUR OLD PAL , ALAN FREED.

btw, I found out why they called him "Plonk" . Would you like to know?

• November 11, 2012 4:59 PM CST
    • Here is THE DRUIDS OF STONEHENGE doing a cover of It's all over now, baby blue in 1966.

They also did other covers including a smokin' version of Bo Diddley's "Who do you love".

• November 11, 2012 4:41 PM CST
    • Can there be such a thing? I say 'yes'. There was a huge debate over here during the summer fueled by BBC 6Music's, 50 greatest punk tunes, debate. Alot of furore over The Prodigy gettin in there. Gasp! in the top 10 no less. I think The Prodigy are more punk than some other bands out there masquerading as punk who are no more punks than my doctors left foot. DAF and Suicide (dance???), but you get what i mean. We cant afford to be precious, but if it rocks..... It's punk!!!

http://youtu.be/aQZDbBGBJsM

I rest my case

• November 11, 2012 3:15 PM CST
    • Hey , Andy .    Well , shedding a light on the trash is what I should be doing (Being as how we have racoons in the alley , sometimes.). Of course , Our Lord Which Art in Heaven , David Sutch , is dearly missed. Do you know that , in The US , his obituaries (Including one in Time magazine.) largely dealt with his political career , which , I know , most people called a mock political career , but, he shook things up for some 40 years , and several of his proposed bills have since become laws , with someone else taking the credit.

He was an innovator , in the rock arena (As opposed to Arena Rock.) , too , wearing his hair IMPOSSIBLY long , several years before The Beatles and The Stones arrived (And even they looked like Oi Boys , by comparison.). Of course , he jump started the whole Horror Rock thing , before Arthur Brown and Alice Cooper upped the ante for Theatre in Rock , but , I originally mistook him for a crass Screamin' Jay Hawkins imitator , and would'nt give him a chance. Once I "Got it" with him , I realized , well  OF COURSE , Screamin' Jay was the far better singer of the two , but , there's room in my heart and on my record rack for both....

I would'nt call Wesley Willis a "Garage Rocker" , I think he fits safely in the mold of "Outsider Artist". His songs were frequently hilarious ,but , they all sounded the same.

I found him to be extremely annoying , personally. I could'nt abide by his head - butting women at random , one of my friends from an out of town band was traumatized by this , before I had a chance to warn her about him. He could be comparatively "Mellow" , but , you never knew with him. He was banned from nearly every club in town at one point. But ,of course , I never wished anything bad on him.  That has nothing to do with his music , or his hysterically funny musings. I just was'nt riding on the Joy Bus , sorry.

But , to me Roky is the true King of Horror Rock , BUT , they're both Kings , Roky being the American Horror Rock King , and Sutch , The King of England. He may have never actually served in Parliament , but , The Monster Raving Looney Party was rated Fifth largest party in Great Britain.   People like this brought colour (Intentional spelling) to a culture that was drab and seemingly humorless (Though you've certainly produced some of the finest Comedians OF THE LAST 50 - something years.). Carry on Screaming ! John.

Andy Climax said:

Apart from this slice of lunacy, i know absolutely nothing about the band. John Battles sheds some light on them in a post above. I love the schlock quirkiness that comes out in some bands in the great and good garage punk scene. Kim Fowley must have a cupboard full of unreleased madness. Others that springs to mind are 'Roky' and 'Screaming Lord Sutch'. Who can forget 'Jack the Ripper'? Wot a tune. Later on he became a pseudo politician in Britain, fronting the 'Monster Raving Loony Party'. Mavericks like this are sorely missed or overlooked these days... Why? i've no idea. 'Vive la Difference' Does Wesley Willis count as Garage? I think he should, haha

• November 11, 2012 2:31 PM CST

•  

• November 11, 2012 2:25 PM CST
    •  

Kopper , The Coctails were a Chicago - based band that started up around 1990 , maybe '89 , I'm not sure, but , I'll say '90 , because that was when I first saw them. They became VERY popular in Chicago , and were , I guess you'd call 'em , the house band at Lounge Ax , one of the last great places in town, where nearly all the great shows happened.  Their reign only seemed to last few years , and ,when that single came out (I don't know who T. Lance is.) , I was'nt aware they were still together. I think it was just a one -off. But , various members went on to much bigger things , at least , locally , like The Sea and Cake , and , more recently , Drummer , Mark Greenburg (Who also lived in Dallas when I did.) has joined Eleventh Dream Day , who were HUGE , back when . Archer Prewitt , too , is now an established Cartoonist with 'Sof'Boy". A "Reunion' was staged on "Chic - A - Go Go" , with NO original members , even tho' Mark was stitting in the audience.

But , I'd place that single somewhere between '95 and '98 , maybe?

The Coctails definitely recorded some 45s, AND MAYBE A CD OR TWO , ON THEIR OWN , but , I never really followed them.  I think T. Lance was a friend of the band , that got them to do the recording after their apparent breakup.

kopper said:

I used to spin "Aba-Daba Do Dance" on my old radio show all the time, but I never knew when it was recorded. It totally sounds like a '60s recording, but I'm pretty sure it was newer... right? Were they a '90s band?

Aside from that single, I know nothing about T. Lance & the Coctails. Did they record anything else?

• November 11, 2012 2:22 PM CST
    • Apart from this slice of lunacy, i know absolutely nothing about the band. John Battles sheds some light on them in a post above. I love the schlock quirkiness that comes out in some bands in the great and good garage punk scene. Kim Fowley must have a cupboard full of unreleased madness. Others that springs to mind are 'Roky' and 'Screaming Lord Sutch'. Who can forget 'Jack the Ripper'? Wot a tune. Later on he became a pseudo politician in Britain, fronting the 'Monster Raving Loony Party'. Mavericks like this are sorely missed or overlooked these days... Why? i've no idea. 'Vive la Difference' Does Wesley Willis count as Garage? I think he should, haha

• November 11, 2012 12:22 PM CST
    • the 60's recording stands on the cd land of 1000 dunces of candy records (1994)

kopper said:

I used to spin "Aba-Daba Do Dance" on my old radio show all the time, but I never knew when it was recorded. It totally sounds like a '60s recording, but I'm pretty sure it was newer... right? Were they a '90s band?

Aside from that single, I know nothing about T. Lance & the Coctails. Did they record anything else?

• November 11, 2012 9:17 AM CST
    • I used to spin "Aba-Daba Do Dance" on my old radio show all the time, but I never knew when it was recorded. It totally sounds like a '60s recording, but I'm pretty sure it was newer... right? Were they a '90s band?

• November 11, 2012 1:39 PM CST
    • Download or stream Zero Hour on WMSE here.

10-19-12
      You Can‘t Get Him Frankenstein – The Fleshtones
      Dracula’s Deuce – Freddy Fortune & the 4Gone Conclusions
      Mortal Monster Man – The Savoys
      Torture – Southern Culture on the Skids
      Dreams of Poe – The 3D Invisibles
      Psychotropic Nightmare – The Shook-Ups
      Trick or Treat – Otis Redding

I Just Can’t Help But Stare – Gallon Drunk
      Tipsy – Jam Messengers
      Dead End America – The Pagans
      Gary Glitter – Labretta Suede & the Motel 6
      Are You Gonna Be There at the Love-In – Chocolate Watchband

Piece of My Heart – The Omens
      57 Acres of Pain – MFC Chicken
      Bloody Mary – King Salami & the Cumberland 3
      Cars on Film – The Hentchmen
      I’m a Man – Bobby Comstock
      Pot Party – Teenage Rebellion

Local Lunchbox
      Six-Feet Under – Sugar Stems
      Love You to Pieces – Sugar Stems
      Can’t Wait – Sugar Stems
      Landline Static – Sugar Stems

Cul-de-Sac – Model Rockers
      Brown Eyed Handsome Man – Chuck Berry
      Baby Please Don’t Go – Mack Barracuda Paramo Fuzzy Blues
      Maribel – Hula Baby
      You’re My Brian Jones – Palmyra Delran
      How Does it Feel to Feel – Chopper

Big Red Rooster – The Hangmen
      Blood Beach – Go to Blazes
      Scratch My Back – Cowbell
      Man Like You – Becky Lee & Drunk Foot
      Watch You Dance – The Original Sins
      Lyin’ Girl – Reigning Sound
      Baby – Natural Child

Meet Mike Hate – The Stents
      13 Forever – The Humpers
      Hijack the Radio – The Nervebreakers
      I’m Weak – New Bomb Turks

Strange Baby – Jon Spencer Blues Explosion
      2 Kindsa Love – Jon Spencer Blues Explosion
      Cool Breeze – Bloodshot Bill
      Rattle My Brain – Bloodshot Bill
      Right Out the Door – Bloodshot Bill
      Rachel – Jon Spencer Blues Explosion
      Unclear – Jon Spencer Blues Explosion

Mincemeat – The Bon
      No Voodoo – Allah-Las
      Sortir Avec Toi – Thee Outlets
      Hospital Boogie – The Liminanas
      Field Fire on Jordan Street – Hollows
      Treat Her Right – Johnny Thunders & Patti Palladin

Bo Meets the Monster – Bo Diddley
      Graveyard Girlfriend – Groovie Ghoulies
      Cool Ghoul – The Gravediggers

The Whip – Ronnie Dawson
      The Creep – The Primates
      The Maniac – Thee Cormans
      Frankenstein’s Party – Swingin’ Phillies

I’m Gonna Haunt You – Kaiser George & the Hi-Risers
      Halloween Girl – Blue Ash
      Werewolf – The Frantics

Jack the Ripper – Angus MacManus
      Night of the Sadist – Larry & the Blue Notes
      Killer Inside Me – Waves of Fury
      Nightmare Hop – Earl Patterson

Local Lunchbox
      Halloween – The Blow Pops
      Guitarantula – The Exotics
      Zombie Jesus From Hell – Lonesome Savages

The Ryan Horror Radio Show
      Revenge – Others
      Comin’ After Me – Flamin’ Groovies
      Zombie Lover – Insults
      Murder on Moors – Thee Headcoats
      The Witch – The Rattles

Satan is Her Name – Steve King
      My Girlfriend is a Witch – October Country
      She’s Creepy – Boss Martians

Dracula’s Daughter – The Woggles
      Creature From the Black Leather Lagoon – The Cramps
      I Hear Voices – Luis & the Wildfires
      Rockin’ in the Graveyard – Roy Loney & The Phantom Movers

The Devil’s Comin’ – Stud Cole
      Haunted Beach Party – The Pandoras
      Graveyard – The Blenders
      Stray Cat Strut Halloween – Quintron

Land of Haunted Houses – Wheels on Fire
      Halloween – Dream Syndicate
      Spooky – Gravedigger 5

Haunted House – Johnny Fuller
      Haunted House – Cris Kevin
      Morgus the Magnificent – Morgus & the Ghouls
      Zombie Hop – Cavemen 5

The Goon – Bleed
      Fly Me to the Goon – Frankie Stein & His Ghouls
      The Witch – Dexter Romweber

Haunted House Boogie – Happy Wilson
      Devil’s Daughter – Dave S. Trio

Hound Dog – Elvis
      Blue Suede Shoes – Carl Perkins
      Big Iron – Marty Robbins
      Take These Chains from My Heart – Hank Williams
      Mom & Dad’s Waltz – Lefty Frizzell
      No Time to Cry – Iris Dement

Wichita Lineman – The Moto-Gators
      Weekend Girls – Kurt Baker
      It’s Like XTC – The Missing Monuments
      I Will Change Your Mind – The Wrong Words
      Magic Act – Sugar Stems
      Making Time – The Plimsouls

Too Damaged – Subsonics
      Little Miss Innocent – The Easy Outs
      My Love – The Above
      I Was Going Home – The Rippers
      Night Will Fall – The Goodbye Johnnys

Local Lunchbox
      We All Know – Ramma Lamma
      Too Tall – Midnight Reruns
      Zombies – Trent Fox & the Tenants

Shallow Grave – The A-Bones
      Rollerland – The Twiliters
      Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man – Andy Shernoff & Daddy Long Legs
      Calypso Baby Rock – Marty the Rock-n-Roll Rabbi
      Get Out of My Car – Hasil Adkins
      Gila Monster – Joe Johnson
      Alone – Three Dimensions
      Kokomo – New Surfsiders

Give Me Love – Larry Williams
      Come on Honey – Alex Chilton
      I’ve Had It – The Bell-Notes
      Lover Please – Jack Oblivian
      Give – Mary Ann Fisher
      Let’s Get High – Rosco Gordon
      Everybody’s Tryin’ To Be My Baby – Carl Perkins

Truck Drivin’ Man – James Luther Dickinson
      Cryin’ – Heart Attack Alley
      Crying Out Loud – Singing Loins
      Tallulah – Cowbell
      Smells Like Low Tide – Molly Gene One Whoaman Band

Alcatraz – Mesa Cosa
      Rat Fink/Don’t Tread on Me – Mono Men
      Finger Bang Gang – The Rats
      Eye Like it Cuz It’s Cool – Cyclops
      Scream – Ralph Nielsen & the Chancellors
      Bailare Sobre Tu Tumba – Midnight Woolf
      You’re No Good – The Omens

Sundown – El Pathos
      Answer Me Tonight – Mess Around
      It’s Alright, Ma – Wendy James

• November 11, 2012 11:26 AM CST
    • Show #396: "Bands & Artists Starting With S, Part 7" playlist:

Andee Silver - "Too Young To Go Steady"
      Mike Silver - "I Thought Of Her Today"
      Owen & Leon Silveras - "I Want My Cock"
      The Silvertones [JAM] - "True Confession"
      The Silvertones [US] - "Get It"
      The Simmons - "Take Me Where The Sun Shines"
      Jeff Simmons - "Naked Angels Theme"
      Gene Simmons [MS] - "Drinkin' Wine"
      Gene Simmons [NY] - "Man Of 1,000 Faces"
      Mack Simmons & Jimmy Mitchell - "43rd Street Bus Stop"
      Jago Simms - "In Too Deep"
      Simon & Garfunkel - "I Am A Rock"
      Simon Dupree & The Big Sound - "The Eagle Flies Tonight"
      Carly Simon - "You're So Vain"
      John Simon - "The Song Of The Elves"
      Paul Simon - "Duncan"
      Sugar Simone - "Take It Easy"
      The Simple Image - "Grooviest Girl In The World"
      Simply Saucer - "Electro Rock"
      Corban Simpson - "Running To The Sea"
      Sin-Say-Shun's - "The Horney Green Granny"
      Frank Sinatra - "My Way"
      Nancy Sinatra - "These Boots Are Made For Walkin'"
      Sincerely Yours - "Little Girl"
      Sincron - "Pe Linga Plopii Fara Sot"
      The Sinders - "Get Out Of My Life"
      Peter Sinfield - "Envelopes Of Yesterday"
      Ray Singer - "What's Done Has Been Done"
      Les Sinners - "Sinerisme"
      The Sintrifical Fours - "Flashing Thunderbolts Of Jupiter"
      Barbara Sipple - "Song For Life"
      Sir Charles & The Daze Of Olde - "Baby Come Back"
      Sir Douglas Quintet - "She's About A Mover"
      Sir Frog & The Toads - "The Frog"
      Sir Henry - "Poor Bobby"
      Sir Isaac & The Do-Dads - "Blue Groove"

Click here to stream this show now: http://eggmanrulez.com/m3u/396.m3u
      or to download: http://eggmanrulez.com/streams/396.mp3

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 6748511750 ... Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Egg

• November 11, 2012 11:03 AM CST
    • Thank God they are still around,gives all of us old rockers some hope.The new songs are good not to mention the Some Girls and Exile re-releases w/all those unreleased songs thats like 3 new stones albums in the last few years,Oh yeah and the new movie Cross Fire Hurricane.......All Hail the Stones!

• November 11, 2012 10:25 AM CST
    • I like the song, but it took a few listens to sink in.  I think the surprising negative is there's no clear Keef hook.  The man generates hooks in his sleep.  Why didn't he distinguish "Doom and Gloom" with a strong guitar hook?  The vocal performance is what finally got me.  It's got Jaggerswagger.  It's been a while since that's been seen.  I don't think it's a great song, but it's a good song I won't turn off when it comes on the radio.  Might even sing along.