Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• November 12, 2012 4:44 PM CST
    • I can't make it to the city to lend a hand, but I did kick in a donation on their website.  I encourage anyone else to do the same!  If you're a fan of Norton Records (who wouldn't be?), help 'em out.

• November 12, 2012 3:10 PM CST
    • Maybe the first couple of sentences are'nt appearing here.....I usually see the intros to other people's blogs before I click on 'em.

But , if you're just tuning in , have a look , leave a comment regarding The Who and their infuence on US and UK GARAGE ROCK  , FREAKBEAT , Punk , non  - US/UK  bands , too , AND OF COURSE, mOD (SOME MODS STILL PREFER GUITARS OVER STRINGS AND VIBES , i'M TOLD.) .The phone lines are open !

Sorry if the title was too vague. That's an ongoing joke amongst The Who and their fans.

• November 12, 2012 3:00 PM CST
    • I guessit depends on how you define the two.....Suicide is one of the only bands with a drum machine that I can stand , and even THEY can still be pretty challenging if you're not in the mood.  I'd have to mull over it a bit....I like Lizzy Mercier Decloix's first album , but , I'd say it has little to do with Punk. Others seem to disagree. Even Nina Hagen straddled the line between the two , in the Late 80's. James CHANCE , SOMETIMES , PARTICULARLY WITH JAMES wHITE AND tHE bLACKS. Individual songs like PIL's "Fodderstompf".....I DUNNO.

PUNK FUNK is a lot easier to define , it was so much "Hipper" in the 80's.

If you want a good head - scratcher , seek out The Seclusions' album. Probably the only 60's Garage - Disco crossover album , EVER. Joey Ramone , Mickey Leigh (His Brother.) , Holly Beth Vincent (Joey's then - girlfiend.) , Jay Dee Daugherty , Busta Jones, and a plethora of other names  could'nt savethe record from being much more than a curiosity.

• November 12, 2012 2:16 PM CST
    • I know the bass player from Klaxons, Jamie Reynolds, who worked at the late Essential Records shop in Greenwich Market. Great bass player.

• November 12, 2012 2:53 PM CST
    • Oh! I DO love both since about 30 years!!
      I´ve seen Lydia Lunch a couple of times in Berlin (80s-90s - Horny!;) 
      and last winter She played with Gallon Drunk (in a place i´m working so i also got to know and talk to them). She didn´t change much! Still the same beautiful slut! She´s splendid!
      I wanna thank you for the Diamanda Galas video, long time i haven´t hear from her
      (same story: seen in berlin back then) but now i recall why i loved her so much. What a voice!! What a presence!!

Andy Climax said:

Yep. Their music that should be shared with the world. I know i went a bt off subject but.... Y'gotta love'em

• November 12, 2012 2:49 PM CST
    • I thought somebody did mention X , or , I would have , earlier....John and Exenes' vocals are like watching stunt planes....I mean , sometimes perfectly aligned , and sometimes going off in other  directions ,  and coming back. People said Exene could'nt carry a tune , but , X had a plan. It was / is a perfect vessel for her. Besides , that's a load of rubbish. I've always loved her voice , from the first time I heard it , more than 30 years ago. Of course  she's really come into her own doing Country MATERIAL , ON HER OWN AND WITH THE KNITTERS.

Mutants of the Holocaust said:

What?! No references to 'X'? How about their cover of Breathless for starters.

..and for a change of tempo...Leonard Cohen/Jenifer Warnes - Joan of Arc ..beautiful.

• November 12, 2012 1:08 PM CST
    • What?! No references to 'X'? How about their cover of Breathless for starters.

..and for a change of tempo...Leonard Cohen/Jenifer Warnes - Joan of Arc ..beautiful.

• November 12, 2012 1:05 PM CST
    • Yep. Their music that should be shared with the world. I know i went a bt off subject but.... Y'gotta love'em

• November 12, 2012 9:13 AM CST
    • Andy Climax, Great! love both! Fantastic video choice!
      I´ll post them on the "Favorite female artists"-thread, that´s ok with you? :)

Andy Climax said:

Gallon Drunk and Lydia Lunch. Wots not to like??? Astounding!

http://youtu.be/_zIbLs9OM9Q

• November 12, 2012 9:12 AM CST
    • Soooo cute! 

Slighted Knight said:

I was gonna say Under Pressure, then I was gonna say the final song from Rock and Rule, but I think Deep Purple has a slight edge on both of them.

• November 12, 2012 9:10 AM CST
    • Thank you all, Guys!
      Great stuff in here!

• November 12, 2012 6:33 AM CST
    • Rowland S. Howard - (I Know) A Girl Called Jonny

• November 12, 2012 2:43 PM CST
    • Andy , Maybe I picked the wrong week to stop drinking Romilar cough syrup , but , was'nt the general question , more or less , who do you think would get a free pass to Rock'n'Roll Heaven? Ray and Dave , of course , are alive , even though Dave had his stroke right when he and his Brother attempted a reconciliation and were talking about collaborating  , possibly even with the original Kinks (Until , of course , Pete Quaiffe passed away.).

Never saw The Kinks , tho' I tried to , but , I saw Dave once and Ray , three times. Guess who rocked like fuck.

• November 12, 2012 1:53 PM CST
    • TRACIE HUNTER:)

• November 12, 2012 10:30 AM CST
    • I'm really sorry to hear about that.  Bands frequently skip Pittsburgh too, but at least I can always make a bus trip to NYC or Cleveland to see them.  That's really sad that you're so isolated.

Lita said:

I live in a very small town in the middle of a shit hole called South Dakota. We never get any good music to come through this state other than old, fading, dying out bands desperate to make their last quarter; so when I heard The White Stripes were coming I practically pissed myself. Then come close to show time Meg had that "nervous" breakdown and they canceled tour...I can't believe I was that close to seeing one of my favorite bands and now there isn't a chance in hell i'll see them. Hopefully I get to see The Dead Weather sometime in my lifetime. 

• November 12, 2012 6:53 AM CST
    • The Johnny Burnette Trio ~ Lonesome Train (1956)

Performance by one of the pioneers of the rockabilly sound, The Johnny Burnette Trio.
      Segment from the teenage rock 'n' roll movie "Rock, Rock, Rock" (1956) hosted by then popular radio disk jockey Alan Freed, who appeared in several movies of this type.

• November 12, 2012 6:48 AM CST
    • ZZ en de Maskers ~ Cadillac (1965)

• November 12, 2012 6:46 AM CST
    • The Shamrocks - Cadillac (1965)

• November 12, 2012 6:34 AM CST
    • Not a song as such, but the 'Banana Splits' had the coolest wheels. even cooler than the Anthill Mob from Whacky Races.

• November 12, 2012 6:29 AM CST
    • Jaguar And Thunderbird - Chuck Berry

Go Go Yamaha - The Spats

• November 12, 2012 6:06 AM CST
    • The Renegades - Cadillac - Studio Live Video 1964

• November 12, 2012 6:07 AM CST
    • Lydon is selling British butter by the pound over here thanks to some fabulous advertisement campaign. He also Went on a turgid programme, 'I'm a celebrity, Get me out of here' thats very popular apparently. Loads of celebrity(?) making complete tits of themselves in real life telly, in the vain hope that someone still loves'em and resurrect their careers. Lydon was brilliant. It paid for the last PIL album and all the amazing solo stuff he keeps releasing. Surely a great advert for a real icon selling out for the greater good. Vive le Pistols