Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• November 9, 2012 1:09 AM CST
    • Link Wray did a pretty good version of "Girl From The North County" and "Baby Blue", too.

gumbo chaff said:

Lions do a great cover of girl from the north country

• November 9, 2012 12:37 AM CST
    • Of course , the late Ronnie Dawson NEVER failed , and the late Janis Martin kicked major ass. Great lady.

John Battles said:

Yeah , that's the deal . When I go to these Rockabilly fests (I only went to the first Viva Las Vegas , but , the next one actually looks good.) , I catch a few new acts on the flip flop , but go see the older cats , out of respect....The best have included Art Adams , Huelyn Duvall , Joe Clay , The Collins Kids (Of course) , Wanda Jackson (Ditto.) , Charlie Gracie , Billy Lee Riley , and Hayden Thompson and Sonny Burgess (But he was TERRIBLE the last time I saw him , and I missed the Batusis to go , again , out of respect , and , while he usually BLAZES , he failed.

Joe said:

I recently saw both Ray Campi and Mac Curtis for the first time, at last April's Viva Las Vegas Rockabilly Weekend.  Both are a little worse for wear - hell, they're in their eighties! - but it was cool to see them perform, nonetheless. 

John Battles said:

SOME of our experiences , or lack of , are similar.....I did see Ray Campi in Dallas once , in 1986 , but , my Brother (Who was nice enough to take me , tho' he's not a big Rockabilly fan.) insisted we  leave after the second song of the set (His backing band had done a VERY long opening set , andit was getting late.). I saw him at the last Green Bay Fest. Like a lot of the still active Rockabillies , it was good , but , not great.
        Mac Curtis played , too , again , not great , but , honest...

I got a couple of free passes to see Gene Summers in '83. I tried to get my other Brother to go , but , he was'nt into it. Who'da thunk that , years later , he'd be in a band with the younger Brother of one of Summer's former band members ? To be fair , I was'nt familiar with Gene Summers , I just wanted to see one of the originals , if I could. Naturally , I got the word , later , that HE was the one to see , and , the one time I had the chance to see him , he had to cancel (He'd had a heart transplant years ago , so , it may have been related to that. He's still living , but , I think he still performs just once in a great while.).

When The Clash played in Dallas , in 1982 , everybody was there , from the too punk to the not punk enough , I remember how cool and how friendly the audience members were , as much as I remember the show , itself. The Jam  were supposed to follow right behind at the same venue , but , they broke up before they ever made Dallas. I guess I don't regret it as much , now , knowing they'd be doing more of their "Soul Boy" stuff than songs from the first few albums , or even "Sound Affects" , but , sure , I wish I'd seen 'em. It's cool that you were even aware of the LA Punk scene in your early teens. But , I did meet Alice Bag , recently , on her book tour. She's VERY cool , and she told great stories , as well as doing about a half dozen songs with a pared down backing group. HER BOOK , "VIOLENCE GIRL" comes recommended.     Funny thing , too , I was even supposed to have an arranged meeting with Gary Panter when I went to what was , unfortunately , his Alma Mater , too , East Texas State University. THEY HAD A GREAT ART DEPT. , WHICH WAS THE MAIN REASON I WAS LIVING IN THAT SHITHOLE (COMMERCE , TEXAS.). I happened to be their star pupil , that and 50 cents'll get you a local newspaper , and the Dept. Head knew I was a fan of Panter's . But , it did'nt happen.
        He also did two appearances here in Chicago , neither of which I heard about.

Mike said:

Working shift work for the past 20 years, there are so many. But in my younger days I would have to say it'd be:

The Germs - by time I got into music they had stopped playing, but there was the Darby Crash band and then they did that re-union/final show in December of '80 that, being 14, I couldn't manage to get a ride to.

The Screamers - they were still playing a bit towards the end of '80 as I recall, but I was "too punk" to get it. Outside of a few demos Rodney Bingenheimer would play, they were more known to me for that Gary Panter logo that seemed to be so prolific.

The Clash - There were several opportunities to see them, yet again, I was "too punk" (aka too young and dumb) and they were too comercial. I remember using my limited funds to go see the Angelic Upstarts instead during an '82 7 night stand by the Clash at the Hollywood Palladium. The upstarts were playing just a stone's throw away from the Palladium. By time I realised the error of my ways I saw the "new" Clash on their 'Cut The Crap' tour. Not the same thing obviously.

The Jam - What can I say, my "mod" friiends were smarter than me. I passed and now regret it.

Bags - Another band I never caught thatI could of towards their end.

Ray Campi - How and why I haven't seen him I do not know! There's still a chance to though!

Mac Curtis -  see above

The list is actually quite long now that I start thinking of it, so I leave at that.

• November 9, 2012 12:36 AM CST
    • Yeah , that's the deal . When I go to these Rockabilly fests (I only went to the first Viva Las Vegas , but , the next one actually looks good.) , I catch a few new acts on the flip flop , but go see the older cats , out of respect....The best have included Art Adams , Huelyn Duvall , Joe Clay , The Collins Kids (Of course) , Wanda Jackson (Ditto.) , Charlie Gracie , Billy Lee Riley , and Hayden Thompson and Sonny Burgess (But he was TERRIBLE the last time I saw him , and I missed the Batusis to go , again , out of respect , and , while he usually BLAZES , he failed.

Joe said:

I recently saw both Ray Campi and Mac Curtis for the first time, at last April's Viva Las Vegas Rockabilly Weekend.  Both are a little worse for wear - hell, they're in their eighties! - but it was cool to see them perform, nonetheless. 

John Battles said:

SOME of our experiences , or lack of , are similar.....I did see Ray Campi in Dallas once , in 1986 , but , my Brother (Who was nice enough to take me , tho' he's not a big Rockabilly fan.) insisted we  leave after the second song of the set (His backing band had done a VERY long opening set , andit was getting late.). I saw him at the last Green Bay Fest. Like a lot of the still active Rockabillies , it was good , but , not great.

I got a couple of free passes to see Gene Summers in '83. I tried to get my other Brother to go , but , he was'nt into it. Who'da thunk that , years later , he'd be in a band with the younger Brother of one of Summer's former band members ? To be fair , I was'nt familiar with Gene Summers , I just wanted to see one of the originals , if I could. Naturally , I got the word , later , that HE was the one to see , and , the one time I had the chance to see him , he had to cancel (He'd had a heart transplant years ago , so , it may have been related to that. He's still living , but , I think he still performs just once in a great while.).

When The Clash played in Dallas , in 1982 , everybody was there , from the too punk to the not punk enough , I remember how cool and how friendly the audience members were , as much as I remember the show , itself. The Jam  were supposed to follow right behind at the same venue , but , they broke up before they ever made Dallas. I guess I don't regret it as much , now , knowing they'd be doing more of their "Soul Boy" stuff than songs from the first few albums , or even "Sound Affects" , but , sure , I wish I'd seen 'em. It's cool that you were even aware of the LA Punk scene in your early teens. But , I did meet Alice Bag , recently , on her book tour. She's VERY cool , and she told great stories , as well as doing about a half dozen songs with a pared down backing group. HER BOOK , "VIOLENCE GIRL" comes recommended.     Funny thing , too , I was even supposed to have an arranged meeting with Gary Panter when I went to what was , unfortunately , his Alma Mater , too , East Texas State University. THEY HAD A GREAT ART DEPT. , WHICH WAS THE MAIN REASON I WAS LIVING IN THAT SHITHOLE (COMMERCE , TEXAS.). I happened to be their star pupil , that and 50 cents'll get you a local newspaper , and the Dept. Head knew I was a fan of Panter's . But , it did'nt happen.

Mike said:

Working shift work for the past 20 years, there are so many. But in my younger days I would have to say it'd be:

The Germs - by time I got into music they had stopped playing, but there was the Darby Crash band and then they did that re-union/final show in December of '80 that, being 14, I couldn't manage to get a ride to.

The Screamers - they were still playing a bit towards the end of '80 as I recall, but I was "too punk" to get it. Outside of a few demos Rodney Bingenheimer would play, they were more known to me for that Gary Panter logo that seemed to be so prolific.

The Clash - There were several opportunities to see them, yet again, I was "too punk" (aka too young and dumb) and they were too comercial. I remember using my limited funds to go see the Angelic Upstarts instead during an '82 7 night stand by the Clash at the Hollywood Palladium. The upstarts were playing just a stone's throw away from the Palladium. By time I realised the error of my ways I saw the "new" Clash on their 'Cut The Crap' tour. Not the same thing obviously.

The Jam - What can I say, my "mod" friiends were smarter than me. I passed and now regret it.

Ray Campi - How and why I haven't seen him I do not know! There's still a chance to though!

Mac Curtis -  see above

The list is actually quite long now that I start thinking of it, so I leave at that.

• November 8, 2012 9:26 PM CST
    • I recently saw both Ray Campi and Mac Curtis for the first time, at last April's Viva Las Vegas Rockabilly Weekend.  Both are a little worse for wear - hell, they're in their eighties! - but it was cool to see them perform, nonetheless. 

John Battles said:

Mike said:

Mac Curtis -  see above

• November 8, 2012 5:41 PM CST
    • Never saw The Doors. That's kinda shit!

• November 8, 2012 4:42 PM CST
    • SOME of our experiences , or lack of , are similar.....I did see Ray Campi in Dallas once , in 1986 , but , my Brother (Who was nice enough to take me , tho' he's not a big Rockabilly fan.) insisted we  leave after the second song of the set (His backing band had done a VERY long opening set , andit was getting late.). I saw him at the last Green Bay Fest. Like a lot of the still active Rockabillies , it was good , but , not great.

Mike said:

Mac Curtis -  see above

• November 8, 2012 11:52 AM CST
    • I missed the booze when they came to Portland a while back. It still bums me out.

• November 8, 2012 10:25 AM CST
    • Rollins Band back in '92. It was the End of Silence tour, and Andrew Weiss was still playing bass. I planned on going, but I totally forgot the day. By the time they came back to Salt Lake, they were on the Weight tour, and their sound changed in my view for the worse. 

• November 8, 2012 9:20 PM CST
    • If you haven't seen/heard them, Legendary Shack Shakers are a must. They put on one of the best live shows I have ever seen.

The band I play in has a swampy vibe to it - when we add some of that stuff to our Reverbnation, I'll send your way. Perhaps you'll dig it!

• November 8, 2012 9:10 PM CST
    • We recently played with Japanese garage punkers Akabane Vulgars on Strong Bypass (pic) and they tore it up!

I quite like The Rezillos (semi-female fronted) and X-Ray Spex. And who can't love The Gore Gore Girls

• November 8, 2012 7:31 PM CST
    • Thank you , Mike L.    Great pic.  I was thinking , that whole Nina Hagenesque candy colored punk 'do thing was somewhere between obsolescence and acceptance in '86 - '87 when Fuzzbox failed to crack America. They might have been a tax write - off for Geffen , or they'd have put them on the road , here. I read they did some dates with (Ugh) Sigue Sigue Sputnik, but , those might not have happened.  Their second album is awful , if anyone wondered. They only partly redeemed themselves with a great version of "Trouble" on "The Last Temptation of Elvis" , but , that might have been recorded much earlier. They did reform two years ago , but , I never heard any live recordings . There was a partial , one - off reunion that sounded awful , a few years earlier.

The Lunachicks I saw twice , once on the "Chicks and Dics" tour with The Dictators and Spinout, and later with Horton Heat. They were hilarious , very entertaining , but , I never got into their music that much. Jayne County's a Hell of a man , for a woman. But , I only ever liked some of his/her records , not all of 'em. BellRays I saw once. Did'nt get into 'em as much as everyone else , but ,liked 'em OK . Whatshername , she went into the crowd , and started punching a few guys. Why , I don't know.

• November 8, 2012 5:45 PM CST
    • We've got a Fuzzbox (and we're gonna use it), great band. The Lunachicks rock as well. Jayne County's kinda fucked up tho. The Bellrays are just amazing.

• November 8, 2012 2:27 PM CST
    • PUSSY & THE LEAR JETS:)

• November 8, 2012 2:13 PM CST
    • I love Luscious Jackson how could I forget! 

sleazy said:

I know Luscious Jackson alright...kick ass femme band :)

Stanton Woods said:

There really isn't much rhyme or reason to my list, but I like 'em:

The Waitresses

Lush

Luscious Jackson

Tsunami

• November 8, 2012 1:38 PM CST
    • Off topic, but that is a killer bass.

sleazy said:

THE WEIRDIES:)

• November 8, 2012 12:48 PM CST
    • THE WEIRDIES:)

• November 8, 2012 9:03 PM CST
    • Hey all,

I'm Greg Hanson - I'm a Brooklyn-based genre filmmaker, B-movie addict, film programmer, and drummer in garage/fuzz band The Mad Doctors.

I've been into garage, surf, psyche, etc. for years but only recently have started getting into the scene. I love what I'm seeing, the venues, the vibe. 

• November 8, 2012 6:49 PM CST
    • Yeah, Sheryl, both the Ramones and the Cramps did it their own way. They may not have made a lot of $, but they were able to keep the lifestyles that they wanted, and never had to dilute their visions.

Sheryl said:

I agree, Sean. In my book the Cramps could do no wrong. It was a sad sad day for the world of music when Lux passed. I always thought they held up their punkness no matter what.

• November 8, 2012 3:43 PM CST
    • Check out The Computers. That's a UK band that I would love to see live here in the US.

• November 8, 2012 1:52 PM CST
    • I second that.

enzo said:

Bob Log

• November 8, 2012 10:17 AM CST
    • Tim Warren (Crypt Records) just posted this message on Facebook:

just phoned Billy & Miriam for an hour and got the brutal lowdown on the devastation of their catalog/warehouse - it is is beyond belief and they SERIOUSLY need your HELP. Give em a hand with the vinyl washing, bring PIZZA to feed the volunteers, bags of COFFEE to fuel said volunteers, any photo-preservation pros are much needed. They've secured a clean, dry new warehouse space and anyone with VANS and GAS are needed for transporting the rescued stock. GO! GO! GO!