Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• November 9, 2012 4:49 PM CST
    • ZZ Top must be right fucked off. The Stones stealin their shit. As for them giving up? Why? If all you know is music and your life is music and you're influential in your field and sell out huge gigs everytime you play. You also gain an army of fans every generation that comes along, would you give it up? I certainly wouldn't. Its not like they keep all their cash to themselves, or give anything back. Very generous as a band and as individuals. Long live the Stones. If you think they should give up? Sit and listen to 'Exile on main Street', or 'Satanic majesties' and see if ya still think the same. Do they still have aything to say? No! But then they never really did. Just good honest rawk'n'roll!

• November 9, 2012 11:48 AM CST
    • Wasn't he Jilted John, the camp one hit wonder?

I love Bog Log III, he looks pretty cool in that fighter pilot/human cannonball get up. Mister Quintron gets my vote too.

Andy Climax said:

In Britain we've got a guy called ' John Shuttleworth'. Does stand up and songs about his family and other nonsense. This is the funniest man on the planet. His music is mental. check'im out

• November 9, 2012 2:53 PM CST
    • Show #396: "Bands & Artists Starting With S, Part 7"

Every 3 weeks I do a series of shows I call the "Alphabetical Series" where I randomly draw a letter of the alphabet from a hat. Whatever letter I draw, I take all the bands and artists in my collection (from the 50's, 60's & 70's only) that start with that letter and play them in strict alphabetical order one by one until I run out of time. This week I drew the letter "S". This is the seventh time I've drawn the letter "S", so I will start from where I left off on show #6 (which was with Silver Sand). So, tune in tonight (Friday at 10:00pm EST) to hear 3 hours of bands and artists that start with "S" like: Andee Silver, Mike Silver, 2 different Silvertones, Jeff Simmons, 2 different Gene Simmons, Simon & Garfunkel, Simon Dupree & The Big Sound, Carly Simon, John Simon, Paul Simon, The Simple Image, Simply Saucer, Nancy Sinatra, The Sinders, Peter Sinfield, Ray Singer, Les Sinners, Barbara Sipple, Sir Charles & The Daze Of Olde, Sir Douglas Quintet, Sir Henry, Sir Isaac & The Do-Dads, and many others!!

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 6748511750 ... Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Watch my playlist unravel before your eyes LIVE here: http://wscafm.radioactivity.fm/

Egg

• November 9, 2012 2:32 PM CST
    • I agree, Donovan is "groovier" and fun. 

But Dylan, whose voice is a bit more of an acquired taste, blows most people away in pure persona and stature, songwriting ability and lyricism, legacy, etc.

He is way more of an icon around the world. He never really faded too terribly much. Now, he is making yet another comeback. 

Again, I don't prefer to sit around listening to his music all day, but he really is a fascinating musical figure as well as musician.

• November 9, 2012 1:39 PM CST
    • I feel like if a sort of quality vs. quantity argument comes in to play, Dylan wins on both counts. Donovan's output is absolutely miniscule compared to Dylan's. I also think Dylan has aged better and I love how he will play older songs in a fashion that make them unrecognizable from their original versions. In terms of output and songwriting, Dylan's got it wrapped up.

Another thing is that Dylan could never really sing, but his writing and persona make up for that.  The tragedy about Donovan is that he really can't sing anymore. Seeing him on Conan earlier this year, I was downright embarrassed for him.

That said, I think Donovan might have a wider emotional range in his songs. His tracks run the gamut from elation to downright frightening.

• November 9, 2012 11:57 AM CST
    •  People forget , before Donovan REALLY started having hits in The U.S. , he was regarded as one of the first "Answer To Bob Dylan" artists.....I'm not a huge fan of either one. I like other people's versions of Dylan's songs better than most of his originals. But , I like Donovan more , if only because he can actually sing (It's hard to be Welsh and unable to sing , unless you're somebody like Jon Langford.), and , yeah , he had some catchy Psych/Pop flavored hits.

When people ask me what my favorite Led Zeppelin song is , I tell 'em "Hurdy Gurdy Man". 

• November 9, 2012 11:00 AM CST
    • Donovan definitely had his moments, and is possibly a slightly better singer but in terms of a catalogue of songs he can't really compete with Dylan. Not a huge fan of either but Donovan is groovier!

• November 9, 2012 10:20 AM CST
    • I don't really give this argument much thought, and you won't get much of a fight out of me, but they were only compared simply because they were contemporaries and toured together a little bit. Otherwise, I don't think they compare. 

I like them both, but I don't really get terribly excited over either of their music.

I gotta say, though, I don't think there is too much of a comparison because Dylan draws way more water than Donovan for many reasons. Dylan can easily overshadow many musicians that have come and gone. There is a reason why many people consider him such a big deal and he's won so many awards (including the Medal of Freedom).

I don't really see Donovan stacking up so high, even though he did write some fun tunes.

Someone may argue that Dylan never wrote a song quite as poppy or fun as Sunshine Superman.

• November 9, 2012 9:02 AM CST
    • I can honestly say that I don't listen much to either of 'em. Won't get much of a fight out of me!

• November 9, 2012 8:08 AM CST
    • I just wanted to start a fistfight out there! They have been compared and contrasted. They are iconic, ironic and perhaps a little over blown. But everyone has a favorite. I prefer Donovan what about you??

• November 9, 2012 7:03 AM CST
    • On Fuzzbox. Sad to hear the passing of Jo the lead singer last week. After a long battle with illness. Say wot you want about Fuzzbox, they coloured a very drab and serious late 80's and 90's Britain. She'll be sorely missed. Great lass and an even wickeder sense of humour. R.I.P

• November 9, 2012 7:00 AM CST
    • Totally forgot Schonen Knife (hope i've spelled it right)

• November 9, 2012 3:03 AM CST
    • Blondie, Sleater-Kinney, Shonen Knife, and of course Joan fucking Jett.

• November 9, 2012 2:24 AM CST
    • Just in case anyone's interested (and since you mention them), the Rezillos are touring in the USA at the moment.

D.

• November 9, 2012 12:22 PM CST
    • As Axel will attest (Because I told him so.) all that stuff was less  than unknown in the states....I followed it as much as I could . I have the Vibes EP , The Stingrays' "Dinosaurs" EP , THE LIVE ALBUM , AND THEIR LATER , MORE PSYCH - ORIENTED ALBUM , BUT , I think I only have one or two Purple Things songs on Media Burn comps.... I have'nt played that stuff in years , but, I did'nt trade it in , either.

Art Phag were very funny. They were actually a spinoff of Detroit's Snake - Out. I saw both bands , but , I liked Snake - Out , better. When I saw Art Phag , I recall them being a three piece - Vocals , drums and guitar. The members of Art Phag/SNAKEOUT DID ANOTHER ALBUM AS THE FUKNOTZ , called "Let's Play Scratch and Sniff With Grandpa's Butt". It's hilarious. Some of the material dated back to Snake-Out's repertoirre.

The funniest thing , which I just learned , was that Dino , from Snake - Out , was in The New Monkees. There's an interview in Roctober #50    www.roctober.com
      where he makes it clear he was a huge Monkees fan , and tried to make peace with The Monkees , when he briefly met a few of them , but , it was'nt happening. Neither was their show.  
      Axel said:

I wouldn't compare the Purple Things to Deja Voodoo or Bone Orchard but I agree that their first two records on Media Burn are fantastic. If you haven't heard them yet listen to the Vibes, the band the singer had before the 'Things'. Early Sting-Rays might appeal to you, too, like their 1st EP and LP 'Dinosaurs' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiL4CIzDFyc. Another 2-piece band similar to Deja Voodoo(but nowhere as great) was 'Art Phag', on Wanghead Records http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dakg0QpkKQw&feature=related 

I played in a band heavily influenced by Deja Voodoo in the mid 80s but we were sooo bad, I can't recommend listening to us, lol.

MADD BLAKE said:

Deja Voodoo is great, it got to listen to a few tracks from House Of Knives in a Myspace page,  sounds very good! I like the Gun Club too and I listened to Blowstops and sounds good too. Thank you both. I found this other band that sounds similar to the bands mentiones before, 'The Purple Things' you guys should check them out in youtube. 

• November 9, 2012 12:08 PM CST
    • Amen. We can be civil , without agreeing about everything. This is'nt You Tube.

D. A. Anguiano said:

Can I just say what a classy bunch of guys and gals you guys are. For being such a hot-button issue, this conversation has been downright civil. Cheers, everyone! Glad to be a member.

• November 9, 2012 12:06 PM CST
    • The Pulsebeats , That's a lot to consider , having to hire the venue yourself , and the other people that have to be paid , Soundman , Doorman , etc.    I think a lot of people in your position break even , at best , the first time they book an established act....Some of my friends have really taken a beating on bands that you'd think would draw plenty. On the other hand , I remember a so called "Booking agent" who took over a show my friend and I were doing ( I was the middleman, but , I personally put the two parties in touch.) even though he had no faith in the band or their drawing ability , because he did'nt know who the Hell they were.

They were THE CREATION , and they sold the venue out , two nights in a row , both weeknights , which NEVER happens in Chicago. One of our friends , here , posted recorded evidence of what a great engagement it was , too.

• November 9, 2012 8:06 AM CST
    • When we put The Dirtbombs on it was our first time putting on a band of their calibre. Before that we'd mainly put on bands who were happy to take whatever door money there was on the night, so we thought 1000 pounds was a lot to begin with and tried to get them down to 800. We covered it though, and the venue hire and all other costs, but didn't make a penny off it. For us it was payment enough to be able to meet them and share a stage with them. Unforgettable night!

John Battles said:

The Pulsebeats' comment about working with The Dirtbombs , earlier , a grand for a band as popular as they are is'nt that much at all (Though it was'nt clear - to me  - as to whether he was talking Dollars or Pounds , or whether that was a large amount to pay , compared to other bands.).  Those guys draw several hundred people a night , maybe more in Europe.

• November 9, 2012 11:42 AM CST
    • Right! We're no doubt all familiar with garage craziness like Alergic to Flowers, Dribbling Fram, Surfin Bird, Swami, etc. What is the craziest garage song out there? I'll start with this chunk of junk...