Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• October 10, 2012 2:23 PM CDT
    • Small faces: lazy Sunday

How's your bird's lumbago?

Should be 'how's your berts lumbago?

I thought birds could get lumbago, probably can now I've said that.

• October 10, 2012 12:40 PM CDT
    • Years ago a friend of mine heard this lyric as 'It's the Return of the Vulture', which amused me no end, as I remember there being a Spiderman story of the same name way back in the 60's.  In a similar punk/animal vein, another friend thought the Sham 69 line 'Hurry up Harry, come on', was 'Hurry up, hairy camel'. 

John Battles said:

It's funny you should say that , an old ex - friend and I were listening to "Alternative Ulster " , and he heard it as "A tail of RED LOBSTER " ! Jake Burns is , or was , living here in town...I wonder if anyone ever told him that.

SarahJayne said:

"a tale of a lobster" ~ an old friends mom's rendition of Stiff Little Fingers 'alternative ulster'

• October 9, 2012 10:39 AM CDT
    • "White Man in Hammersmith Palais" - The Clash .

"But it was fucked up all night"

"But it was Four Tops All Night".

• October 10, 2012 11:30 AM CDT
    • Adam: Please do.

And Allan: Please let us know when your friends' book materialises...

• October 10, 2012 5:47 AM CDT
    • Hello Adam,

I was in the Prisoners, JTQ, Prime Movers, Headcoats, Solarflares, loads of other Medway bands and currently doing my own thing in The Galileo 7 (new album out now!). I'll do my best to answer any questions about the Medway 'Scene' (or whatever you might call it) you have. A couple of my friends are writing a book about the whole thing and have already started interviewing a few people. No idea when it might materialise though..

You can do it via this thread or write to me at thegalileoseven@hotmail.com if you like.

Cheers

Allan
      www.thegalileo7.co.uk
      www.facebook.com/thegalileo7

• October 10, 2012 4:41 AM CDT
    • So jealous you got to see those bands Matt, especially The Buff Medways. Where did you see them? Do you think there's any chance you could scan the copies of that zine into the computer? I would love to read them and I'm sure they would help. I'd never heard of it before you said.

And Jon, I'm not sure where it'll be available, I've only just started on the project but I'll definitely let you know.

Cheers.

• October 8, 2012 4:23 PM CDT
    • I'd love to read a history of the Medway scene! Where will it be awailable?

• October 10, 2012 6:47 AM CDT
    • Doc,

I still dig New Model Army, and listen to them on occasion, although I only own The Ghost of Cain and Thunder & Consolation...thunder bein my fave-

Robt

• October 9, 2012 11:24 AM CDT
    • i must of seen 'em 'bout 7 or 8 times in the mid 80's,at the time i thought they was ruling.nowadays it sounds to me to be very much of that era and i rarely revisit their back cataloge these days except of course for the 1st album which is obviously still killer.

• October 10, 2012 2:09 AM CDT
    • however 2 short but sweet classics from this century that get 2 thumbs up from here would have to be our german cousins al with 'i got pot' and them dangerous danish dames the felines with 'daddy walk'.

sideshow Barty said:

b side of nice 'n' sleazy by the stranglers is called shut up and comes in at a groovy 1.06.

• October 10, 2012 1:27 AM CDT
    • b side of nice 'n' sleazy by the stranglers is called shut up and comes in at a groovy 1.06.

• October 9, 2012 11:46 PM CDT
    • The radio show I co-host (The Big Mix) is being truncated this week due to a high school football game (The not so Big Mix?).  Shorter show = shorter songs (< 1:30).  Tune in at 5:30 Central this Friday to se what my favorite shorties are (or not).

http://www.wdbx.org/

• October 9, 2012 8:37 PM CDT
    • The Dickies' "She Loves Me (She Loves Me Not)" and "I'm a Cholo" were always a must when I was making mix tapes (I still do.) and had about 45 seconds left over.

Obviously , songs like "Base King" and "Party With Me Punker" by The Minutemen fulfilled the same function , but , I never followed them that much. Liked 'em , saw 'em once , and  was very sorry about D.Boon , but , was'nt as into 'em as a lot of my friends.

• October 9, 2012 8:32 PM CDT
    • "The Human Mertzes" - Plan 9. Their last (Good) album , prior to reforming , "Sea Hunt" contains the 13 minute title track , and the prevously mentioned , 13 Seconds long , track , back to back.

My friend , Brad Warner (Dimentia 13 , Filmmaker - "Cleveland's Screaming.") , was on a Cleveland Hardcore comp where bands competed to write and record the shortest song , meaning at least one verse. The band that won clocked in at about two seconds....

HC does'nt do it  for me , anymore , but ,that IS pretty hilarious.

Roky Erickson - "I'm a Demon". The first version , seemingly , to turn up was easily less than 30 seconds long , only to find out it was one verse of a longer song , still easily under two minutes.

• October 10, 2012 12:10 AM CDT
    • Nice write-up today in the Express about D.C.'s Windian Records.

http://www.expressnightout.com/2012/10/primal-screams/

Nice quote: "In the endless cycle of rebirth that is garage rock, Windian is right up there with Goner Records, HoZac, In the Red, Infinity Cat and other neo-paleo labels."

• October 9, 2012 8:45 PM CDT
    • This week's play list featured music from Cold Warps, TEENANGER, The Hives, The Oblivians, Radio Birdman, True Lovers, Ty Segall Magazine, Johnny Cash, Diamond Rugs and more!

Listen/download this week's podcast here:  http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/36-Revolution_Rock-20121002-1030-t1349170201.mp3

Check out this week's blog post on Cold Warps Slimer 7 Inch here:  http://revrock.blogspot.ca/2012/10/cold-warps-slimer-show-424.html

The Play List:

1. The Oblivians – I’m Not A Sicko, There’s A Plate In My Head
      2. Hot Panda – Negative Thinking Patterns
      3. TEENANGER – Walking On Eggshells
      4. The Action – Down Town Boy
      5. Mutts – Half Mile
      6. Davey Parker Radio Sound – I Paid For My Baby
      7. The Resistors – Never On A Sunday
      8. The Vox – Bored of The 80’s
      9. Starvin Hungry – Contagious
      10. Jesse Pipkin & Band – Work With It
      11. Little Sam Davis – Goin’ To New Orleans
      12. Johnny Cash – All Over Again
      13. Diamond Rugs – 100 Sheets
      14. The Strokes – Soma
      15. Elk - Flowers
      16. The Diodes – Behind Those Eyes
      17. Vice Creems – 01-01-01-212
      18. Radio Birdman – Burn My Eye 78
      19. The Carbonas – Blackout
      20. The Hives – My Time Is Coming
      21. Magazine – Model Worker
      22. The Piranhas - Green Don't Suit Me
      23. The True Lovers - Guilty Pleasure #9
      24. Ty Segall – Don’t Do It
      25. Cold Warps – Slimer
      26. Cold Warps – Dream Creepin’

• October 9, 2012 3:12 PM CDT
    • You can't go wrong with Esquivel.

• October 9, 2012 1:07 PM CDT
    • Martin Denny fits that bill so nicely with me. That is, if it's cocktail time at the home lounge. If it's at the Forbidden Island it's got to be a live band in the form of the Aqua Velvets, The Ogres or yes, even the Hula Girls.

• October 9, 2012 11:59 AM CDT
    • sitting in our lounge with a nice cocktail - what music would you be listing to?

my kind of music at that time is 50's nightclub sound.

• October 9, 2012 2:21 PM CDT
    • I'd say Chisel were one who could have been big, but knew when to quit.

• October 9, 2012 1:12 PM CDT
    • Gonerfest 9 Review Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are strictly those of the author and do not necessarily represent official policy or position of Garagepunk.com, its advertisers, members or any other decent member of society.

9/27 - Thursday Afternoon  Opening Ceremonies  @ The Gazebo

--------------------

5:30 Monsieur Jeffrey Evans (Memphis, TN)

> He used to be in '68 Comeback and The Gibson Bros.  Solo electric; a nice low key intro to the fest.

9/27 - Thursday Night @ The Hi-Tone

--------------------

9:00 Moving Finger (Memphis, TN)

> I have no recollection of them so they must not have been outstandingly good or bad.

9:45 Jack Of Heart (Perpignan, France)

> Wild, noisy r&r from a French guy with long hair, moustache, white patent leather winklepickers, fishnets, and a g string.  Very entertaining.

10:30 Slug Guts (Brisbane, Australia)

> Mad Max noisy pissed off Birthday party / Jesus Lizard type stuff with saxamaphone.  Band uniform = leather boots, leather vest, leather pants, leather fingerless gloves, sunglasses, mullets, and moustache.  Good +

11:15 Heavy Times (Chicago, IL)

> Hard rocking stuff but not overwhelming.  Good.

Midnight Golden Boys (Austin, TX)

> Didn't completely suck but ... If you like Bruce Springsteen, Reigning Sound, Alt Country, and Austin City Limits, they're for you.  People seemed to really enjoy them.  Me? ... not a fan.  C-

1am Oblivians (Memphis, TN)

> Very good +.  They played some new songs from their upcoming album that sounded good but not great like their earlier stuff.  Still pretty raw but not as jackhammer speed as before.

9/28 - Friday Afternoon @ The Buccaneer

--------------------

2:30 Johnny Lowebow (Memphis, TN)

> Raucous, bluesy one man band stuff played on his homemade diddley bows / cigar box guitars.  OK.

3:15 Anomalys (Amsterdam, Holland)

> An unexpected highlight. Gtr, gtr/harmonica, drums trio played a variety of high energy blues punk rock and roll.  They did a song in surround sound when the drummer took his floor tom and the harmonica player jumped into the crowd and ran around.  Near mint.

4:00 Toxie (Memphis, TN) 

> 2 cute chicks (bass/vocals & rhythm gtr) and 2 dudes (drums & lead gtr) played nice dreamy, indie pop stuff.  I wanted to ogle the girls but found myself watching the lead guitarist playing surf influenced, reverb laden lines.  I may need a checkup (low T?).  If you like the Pixies/ 90s 4AD bands, check them out.  Good.

4:45 No Bails (Kalamazoo, MI)

> Boring hard rock / butt hardcore power trio with no power or wit.  Should change their name to No Balls. D

5:30 The Hussy (Madison, WI)

> High energy guitar / drum duo was very showy (lots of jumps, kicks, yelling, etc) smashed and burned a Stratocaster ala Hendrix but forgot to write any songs.  How did they get on a label (In the Red) and stay there for years?  OK.

9/28 - Friday Night @ The Hi-Tone

--------------------

9:00 Nots (Memphis, TN)

> All girl trio with bass player from (S)ex-Cult playing guitar and singing.  Not indy, punk, or rockandroll but somewhere in between.  Melodies, harmonies, and lots of reverb on the guitar.  They didn't play like girls (the Toxies played more like girls).  Good +.

9:45 Bad Sports (Denton, TX)

> Mid tempo / fast (but not hardcore fast) gtr/bass/drums.  Orville (gtr/vocals) sings in OBNIIIs and drums for James Arthur's Manhunt (both at GF 8).  The best mix of moderately snarly songs I've seen in a punk band in ages.  They were very strong and the guitar was not too “woodlie.”  An unexpected surprise and GF9 highlight.  Near mint.

10:30 Gary Wrong Group (Mobile, AL)

> Gtr/vocals, "electronics", drums/organ, Quintron (from Quintron and Miss Pussycat) on drum and gong.  Good but not as interesting/exciting as I would have thought.

11:15 Bits Of Shit (Melbourne,Australia)

> Gtr/bass/drums/vocals old Aussie geezers playing the straight forward punk rock that they've played for years.  Strong playing but the song writing is a bit dodgy.  Good showmanship.  the singer was like a pissed off, ginger Ernest T Bass (he had those eyes like...( *)(* ) or maybe... ( @)(@ ), ah, I can't do it.  Very fun.

Midnight River City Tanlines (Memphis, TN)

> I've seen them several times and their always good / very good.  I liked them better this time than the last couple of shows.  Their new album has several top notch songs but they can get a little too Iron Maiden for me sometimes (I like their poppy stuff like "Pretty Please" much better).  Very good.

1 am Nobunny (Rabbithole, USA)

> With Bad Sports as the backing band and not being completely wasted, Nobunny put on a much better show than at the Ski House here in Carbondale.  Very strong (more so than on the records) and still poppy, the crowd went mad for him.  It seemed like a short set and the crowd didn't seem to know about clapping someone back for an encore (do kids not do this or am I the last hold over from 80's arena rock?) and the MC that was omnipresent earlier with his long winded failed attempts at humor was not there to stir things up the one time that he should have been required to.  Still...very good + / near mint.

9/29 - Saturday Afternoon @ Murphy's

--------------------

Inside

1pm Party Bat (Chicago, IL)

> Missed them.

2pm Native Cats (Tasmania, Australia)

> Missed them, too.

3pm White Mystery (Chicago, IL) 4pm Chemicals (Portland, OR)

> Miss Alex White in a duo with her brother (ex-Pony's drummer).  In spite of being a band with no bass player (a common theme along with the jean vests), they put on a very good show (better tha ntheir record).  I'm a sucker for a ginger in a short black skirt and knee high lace up boots rolling around on the ground yanking the strings off her red sunburst Rickenbacker 330.  Call me funny...

5pm Cecilia & The Sauerkrauts (Paris, France/ Portland, OR)

Mon dieu, a middle-aged French honey playing a farfisa in a garage band, s'il vous plaît!  They had beaucoup of allons-y.  Très bien!

Outside

1:30 Dez Vibz (Desert, AZ)

> Ryan Rousseau (ex-Reatards, Tokyo Electron, Angry Angles, more) playing guitar.  Very psyche.   3 songs in a 30 minute set.  I preferred the earlier version of the band that played last year (more jangly pop than out and out psyche).

2:30 Detonations ( AZ/ New Orleans)

> No impression made.

3:30 AAAA The New Memphis Legs (Memphis, Nashville, Texas)

> James Arthur (Manhunt) and Eric Oblivian.  No practice. C.

4:30 Chicken Snake (Staunton, VA)

>Old geezers and chicks from Chrome Cranks, Honeymoon Killers, and Boss Hog playing slightly f'ed up alt country.  OK low key.  The kind of stuff you wished they'd play at your local dive watering hole.

5:30 Lenguas Largas (Tucson, AZ)

> Psyche / country punk with two drummers, three guitars (including a cross between Roky Erickson and a gorilla) and the only other Fender Bass VI I have seen in person. Good+/very good.

9/29 - Saturday Night @ The Hi-Tone

--------------------

9:00 White Wires (Ottawa, Canada)

> Vanilla/white bread pop punk/punk pop from Canada with that Peach Kelly Pop girl playing drums (nice orange Daisy Dukes!).  The bass player had to have a pedal between his Rickenbacker and Ampeg tube amp so he could turn up the suck and make the perfect rig sound like crap.  Still...mostly harmless.

9:45 Ex-Cult (Memphis, TN)

> Less straight ahead punk and more of a psych/dissonant noise touch than I remember them from last year's Gonerfest, they still cut loose.  I'll be buying their new record as soon as it comes out.  Very good.

10:30 Persuaders (New Orleans, LA)

> I’ve heard it said you have to be really smart to act really dumb.  If that's true, and I'm not saying it is, King Louie (gtr, vocals) is a freakin' genius.  Not at all "good dumb fun" hard rock, I felt my IQ drop like a rock just being in the same room as them.  That being said, I'd still rather see them than most bands that play at PK's.

11:15 GG King (Atlanta, GA)

> Lead singer from the Carbonas.  Maybe not great but very good solid punk rock.

Midnight Mad Macka (Brisbane, Australia)

> If you're not AC/DC or Motorhead and still insist on playing hard rock, do it like Mad Macka.  This is the good dumb fun that people stive for and fail to achieve.  Maybe you need to be ~60 with a beer belly and take your shirt off.  Very good (but only if you're mostly drunk).

1 am Spits (Outer Space)

> About the 5th band with jean vests (audience members don't count).  Strong set of catchy, upbeat punk.  The crowd went wild for them too.  I plan on catching them in St Louis next month with Off (Keith Morris from Black flag/Circle Jerks).  Very good + / near mint.

Summary:  going to this one event gets about a years worth of very good – great shoews in one long weekend.  Not to be missed.  Personal GF9 faves = Anomalys, Bad Sports, Bits Of Shit, Nobunny, White Mystery, Cecilia & The Sauerkrauts, Spits.

• October 9, 2012 12:58 PM CDT
    • The Trip! Oct. 7th Show! 

Listen here: http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/381-The_Trip-20121007-0030-t1349566200.mp3

The Setlist:

LITTLE JOHNNY & THE SILVERTONES - ROCK TIL THE END OF TIME 
      THE PREMIERS - FIREWATER 

POISON 13 - ONE STEP CLOSER 
      THE A-BONES-  TEENAGE MUMMY SPOT #1 
      THE A-BONES-  LITTLE EGYPT 
      THE LAMBRETTAS - POISON IVY 
      JC DAVIS - CHICKEN SCRATCH 

MILES DAVIS - GREAT EXPECTATIONS 
      MILES DAVIS - JOHN MCLAUGHLIN 

SONNY OKOSUNS AND PAPERBACK LTD.--  OHOMI 
      ACCENT - RED SKY AT NIGHT 
      STEPPENWOLF - ROCK ME 
      FORCE FIVE- I'M WAITING
      DUM DUM GIRLS- OH MEIN M
      THE CALIFORNIANS- GOLDEN APPLES
      DUM DUM GIRLS- YOURS ALONE
      KIT AND THE OUTLAWS- DON'T TREAD ON ME
      DEEP PURPLE- NEVER BEFORE
      ATOMIC BITCHWAX- STORK THEME

GANG WAR - THESE BOOTS ARE MADE FOR WALKING 
      LATIN DOGS-  ROAD KILLS 
      COMPULSIVE GAMBLERS-  HANDFUL OF BURNING SAND 
      JONNY CHAN & NEW DYNASTY 6 - AW SHUCKS! 
      MONDO TOPLESS - AMAZON QUEEN 
      BO DIDDLEY - BAD TRIP 

• October 9, 2012 12:16 PM CDT
    • ok i work with serato but play on vinyl i dont bother the bpm i play wath i like and wath the people  want to hear. we are not house dj but we play the bether side of music and i enjoy it.