Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• October 13, 2012 3:37 PM CDT
    • Deja Voodoo is great, it got to listen to a few tracks from House Of Knives in a Myspace page,  sounds very good! I like the Gun Club too and I listened to Blowstops and sounds good too. Thank you both. I found this other band that sounds similar to the bands mentiones before, 'The Purple Things' you guys should check them out in youtube. 

• October 12, 2012 6:28 PM CDT
    • At one point, Deja Voodoo had a band that was imitating them...called House Of Knives, they only appeared on one or 2 of the It Came From Canada series of LP's in the late 80's. House of Knives were supposed to release an LP on Deja Voodoo's label OG, but it never came out. I'm still searching for a copy of those recordings...

Nobody else has sounded like Deja Voodoo since....sludgeabilly inventors.

• October 13, 2012 3:36 PM CDT
    • <---well, some of them are dead.

• October 13, 2012 3:30 PM CDT
    • I developed a more forgiving attitude toward The Stones in 2001 , when I saw Chuck Berry for the first time , in St. Louis , at The Pageant. Kopper was probably there. Chuck KILLED . I figured , well , maybe I should give The Stones another go. I had'nt seen them since 1981 , but I'd tried to get into one of their smaller shows in the 90's. TheIR LAST ALBUM "a Bigger Bang" was their best LP/CD since "Some Girls" , if you ask me. MANY people would agree. But , I have'nt had time to listen to this song.  I WILL. i HAVE NO BEEF WITH tHE sTONES STAYING TOGETHER. What else would they do? It's a business , yeah , but the music has improved a great deal in the last 10 , 20 years.  

• October 13, 2012 2:55 PM CDT
    • I know, right?

sideshow Barty said:

that aint bad man,i fuckin heard worse.

• October 13, 2012 1:50 PM CDT
    • I'm considering pulling out those stock EW humbuckers and throwing in some TVjones filtertrons.

• October 13, 2012 1:49 PM CDT
    • Well, the Hagstrom Viking isn't in the same price range. The lower end model is still a couple hundred dollars more.

NKOM said:

In the same price range, I'd go for a Hagstrom viking any day. Just sayin'

• October 13, 2012 8:38 AM CDT
    • In the same price range, I'd go for a Hagstrom viking any day. Just sayin'

• October 12, 2012 7:01 PM CDT
    • Hey!

I play an Eastwood Airline Twin Tone, and all I can say is that this is pure heaven.
      It's a pretty heavy guitar, so I guess it feels like you can easily smash some heads with it and it's really well built, trustable.
      Concerning the tuning, I tune it before the show, and it stays in tune all along most of the time. You can bend, trash some wild chords, do some noise shit, it always stays in tune. Fantastic.
      It sounds very very good for a 399£ guitar, most of Epiphone, Squier and stuff don't sound like that. Sometimes mine has some kind of hollow body sound, and pickups are very good. I played a few humbuckers, and it doesn't sound that good for this price.

For the road readiness, Cole from the Black Lips plays Eastwood guitars, I saw him play a Eastwood Classic 6 at a festival, trying to smash it on stage but the guitar stayed alive haha. He played a Twin Tone too for a long time, so I guess, if Cole keeps a guitar that long, it might be a well built guitar haha.

Plus, if I'm right, Christian Bland used to own an Eastwood Classic but a bass guitar, and he was saying -on Youtube- it's a fantastic bass.

All Eastwood guitars have the similar built, neck shape, tuners, so I guess the Classic 6 might be a very good hollow body guitar.
      Eastwood guitars staff is very active, you can ask them questions, if you any issue with your guitar they'll do their best to satisfy you. Very good brand.

GO FOR IT haha

• October 13, 2012 1:20 PM CDT
    • This sucks. I was so excited a few years back when I discovered Nick Curran's music. It was EXACTLY what I was searching for. I pretty much live under a rock and did not know that he had passed.

• October 13, 2012 11:33 AM CDT
    • A couple of years ago, Russ Gordon, who produces lots of free summer shows in Los Alamos, N.M. told me that he was bringing in a performer to Los Alamos he knew I'd love  -- Nick Curran.

As frequently is the case, Russ was right. I listened to a couple of sound clips from Curran's then-current album Reform School Girl. It became my favorite album of the year.

But I missed the Los Alamos show -- which I regret even more now.

When I first hear Curran, I assumed he was older. His raw voice sounded like he had decades of hard living. But indeed, he packed a lot of life into his short time here. I mean, hell, he started out as a teenager playing in Ronnie Dawson's road band.

Here's my review of Reform School Girl

Here's some more videos:

• October 13, 2012 6:45 AM CDT
    • Sad sad day for r'n'r. 

RIP Nick, we'll always miss you!

• October 13, 2012 1:10 PM CDT
    • Show #393: "Bands & Artists Starting With R, Part 5" playlist:

The Romans - "You Do Something To Me"
      Rudy Romero - "To The World"
      Ron & The Starfires - "Why Did You Cry"
      The Ron-De-Voo's - "The Maid"
      The Ron-De-Voos - "Trip So Wild"
      Ronald & Ruby - "Lollipop"
      The Rondels - "On The Run"
      Don Rondo - "Cuckoo Girl"
      The Ronettes - "I Wonder"
      Ronnie & The Hi-Lites - "I Wish That We Were Married"
      Ronnie & The Rainbows - "Gypsy Woman"
      Ronny & The Daytonas - "Hot Rod City"
      Mick Ronson - "Play Don't Worry/Hazy Days"
      The Rooks [CA] - "I'll Be The One"
      The Rooks [IL] - "A Girl Like You"
      The Roomates - "Glory Of Love"
      The Rooney Brothers - "Geordie"
      Mickey Rooney, Jr. - "Look Out! For The Quiet Ones"
      Mary Roos - "Blauer Montag"
      The Roosters - "One Of These Days"
      The Roots - "It's Been A Long Journey"
      Los Ros - "Cuentame Cosas Tuyas"
      Rose Colored Glass - "Mystic Touch"
      The Rose Garden - "Next Plane To London"
      Andy Rose - "Just Young"
      Biff Rose - "Ain't No Great Day"
      Tim Rose - "Fare Thee Well"
      Rosebud - "Lullabye II (Summer Carol)"
      Rochelle Rosenthal & The Kickball Queen - "Lottery"
      Rosie - "Lonely Blue Nights"
      Dick Rosmini - "Casey"
      Rosnah & The Siglap Five - "Gembira Ria"
      Ross - "Free/I've Been Waiting"
      Charles Ross III - "A Railroad Trestle In California"
      Diana Ross & The Supremes - "Reflections"
      The Jerry Ross Symposium - "Let Me Love You One More Time"
      Lee Ross - "The Mummy's Bracelet"
      Macey Ross - "Big Chief Buffalo Nickle"
      Ronnie Ross & The Good Guys - "If You Ever Go"
      Nita Rossi - "Untrue Unfaithful (That Was You)"
      Rotary Connection - "Magical World"
      Rotation - "Rotation"
      The Rotations [CA] - "Heavies"
      The Rotations [WA] - "One Way Road"
      Rote Gitarren - "Anfang"

Click here to stream this show now: http://eggmanrulez.com/m3u/393.m3u
      or to download: http://eggmanrulez.com/streams/393.mp3

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 6748511750 ... Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Egg

• October 13, 2012 8:35 AM CDT
    • Hey man, digging the latest show right now, thanks for that, lots of top quality rockin' sounds.

Not entirely sure CHRW have got things entirely right yet though, when I went on their site the downloadable 30 mins listed under The Freakout for Oct 11th seemed to be full of Calypso music! 

• October 13, 2012 2:13 AM CDT
    • In a near future I will maybe buy this nice Gibson sg faded bass and I would like to know if some bass players around here use it for garage rock and how they like it.
      He's the sound great for our kind of music?

• October 12, 2012 9:47 PM CDT
    • Only joking!

I liked the ones I heard from Weed Siezure better than Cement Tomb Mind Control.  The studio songs are presented very differently than what I took away from the live set where I was much more impressed by the performance than the songs.  It's almost like two different bands.  There are different ways to look at studio vs. live presentation; 1 you can stive to reproduce the live sound in the studio (or vice versa) or 2 just go with the fact that you're going to sound very different in the two settings and just roll with it (unless you can cart around an entire orchestra).  I can understand either viewpoint and The Hussy seems to prescribe to the latter and that's fine.

• October 12, 2012 9:36 PM CDT
    • Nope, I was right.  They all suck, all 39 of them.

• October 12, 2012 9:35 PM CDT
    • It’s been pointed out in other messages that I am ignorant, insulting, and an opinionated ass.
      I was wrong about The Hussy being on In The Red.  I’m not sure where I got that idea.  Maybe the Hussy guys ITR shirt or maybe a misunderstood conversation, etc I don’t know.  I did not set out to insult Larry/In The Red.  I don’t know the guy personally and I understand that many people worship him as a god.  While I have no problems in pointing out the emperor’s new clothes, in this case I was wrong.
      I was also wrong about the drummer in White Mystery being in The Ponys.  I misread and / or misremembered the Program Guide “Brother / sister maelstrom …  Alex White’s a veteran of Miss Alex White & the Red Orchestra … and Hot Machines with Jared from the Ponys.”  It goes on to say “Together with her brother Francis, White Mystery…”  Again, I had my facts screwed up and was wrong.
      If I were submitting this post as part of a professional publication or serious amateur blog, I would have done some in depth research and really done it up right.
      I don’t have time for that shit and just wanted to hep some folks to Gonerfest and a bunch of cool music that they might be interested in especially since no one else on this social network had even mentioned it, that I am aware of, except Anna Lee Cleveland.

It's been suggested that I check out some of The Hussy's studio recordings so I will.

• October 12, 2012 8:12 PM CDT
    • I can't figure the site out.. for each letter I can only seem to see the first shelf of records per letter.. A section for example only goes from The A's to Adam and the Ants.. is there a way to see more or have they only archived one section per letteR?

• October 12, 2012 6:40 PM CDT
    • Woo! Badass, man! I can't wait to watch this thing. First person to really bring Meek to my attention was Mark Ryan of The Marked Men. When I was just a little kiddo (about seventeen prolly) he let me hear the song Telstar and it pretty much freaked me way out.

Victor Lopez said:

Done! I suggest you all download it just in case! Sorry for the lack of information.

Enjoy!

Part 1: https://vimeo.com/45539432

Part 2: https://vimeo.com/45540502

Part 3: https://vimeo.com/45541224

Part 4: https://vimeo.com/45541266

kopper said:

Have you tried posting them on Vimeo?

• October 12, 2012 6:17 PM CDT
    • That last sentence is great advice. First you've gotta think about it a lot and then POW you wake up one day and it's second nature.

Matt said:

I learned how to sing while playing guitar using the Ramones. A song like "Rock-a-way Beach" has all the chord changes during breaks in the singing. So it allows you to do one thing at a time.

Here's the honest truth: Singing and playing guitar is like riding a bike. It takes a while to get the balance, but once you figure it out, it's easy to keep going forward.

• October 12, 2012 6:08 PM CDT
    • Radio What Wave Playlist Oct 11/2012

1. Nick Curran...Kill My Baby...from the Reform School Girl from 2010....Nick passed away last weekend, only 35 and WAAAAYY too young. A guy who actually understood rock'n'roll and was playing it in 2012!! And one of the blackest sounding white guys ever!!!

2. Hank And Frank...Nancy Sinatra...demo from the late 80's and was also on a What Wave cassette back then. Possibly the greatest song (Ok, one of my faves) to ever come out of London!! Hank is the Singing Bookman, Frank is from Uranus, Sci-Phonics and currently solo around London Ontario. This is the beginning of our all London show to help promote the Graphics Underground London 1977 to 1990 show and exhibit happening on Oct 26th weekend. And we'll be releasing WW 24, the all London issue that weekend as well. It comes with a 90m cassette of London only combos from about 1978 to 1992.

3. Uranus...Secret Agent Man...from a live to air on CFNY in May 1980. Uranus are one of the 4 bands re-uniting on Oct 27th at Call The Office.

4. Uranus...Uranium Rock...recorded live at The Embassy Hotel, 3/22/82 and broadcast on CHRW back then.

5. The Sci-Phonics...I'm Ready...recorded live at The Key West Cafe, 3/11/87. The Sci-Phonics included a couple of members of Uranus and used to gig all around town from about 1984 to the early 90's. They reunite every few years and always put on a good show. The Key West was located on the west side of Talbot, right around where the Nite Owl presently is. Key West hosted a TON of cool bands...ie Gruesomes, Deja Voodoo, Plan 9, Cheepskates, Flying Squad, The Fuzztones, Hysteric Narcotics, Flaming Lips, UIC, Purple Toads, Shadowy Men and many many more.

The Sci-Phonics, mid 80's, looks like Key West Cafe.

6. Sci-Phonics...Marie Marie...recorded live at Wortley Roadhouse and featured both Jerry Fletcher and Jack Whiteside on guitars, a very rare occurrence as Jack replaced Jerry many years prior to this performance.

7. Uranus...You're So Square...1980 single that made it into the top 10 charts across Canada.

8. Uranus...53 Buick...from their very first self released single.

9. The Mongrols...The Day She Died...1987 demo of this 3 piece that opened for many touring bands in their 3 year existence. Led by Trelvis and they morphed through many name changes; Royal Mongrels, Ungone and a couple other names. Not to be confused with the present day Mongrels from London...who are also quite cool!

10. The Mongrols..Play My Guitar...as above. This song was on a WW cassette back then.

11. The Mongrols...Plastic Girls...from the 7" EP, Four Whom The Bell Tolls, 1988, which came with WW # 16.

12. Drowned Hampsters...Politix...from the 1984 LP, The 'P' is For Political. London Ontario band with no connections to any other band in this city...a mystery band that released an LP and disappeared.

13. Nihilist Spasm Band...Test Recording...from probably the longest lasting band in London history, having formed in the mid 60's and still going to this day. Noise that you love or hate.

14. Hot House...Burn It Down...from the 1978 LP of the same name. They used to play the Cedar Lounge a fair bit and would call themselves aggressive rock. They self released this LP back in 1978.

15. Redline...IRA...Sept 1983 demo. Commercial new wave band from London that played around the bars...this original showed they could do a lot more than just cover tunes.

16. The Demics...New York City...from the Talk's Cheap EP. Probably the most well known punk tune to come out of sleepy London Ontario. And ironically, the song is about trying to escape sleepy London...

17. The Demics...Grey and Black...from the NYC CD on OPM records which collects a bunch of live and demo Demics recordings.

18. The Demics...400 Blows...as above.

19. The Demics...Blue Boy...recorded in Toronto in 1980.

20. Jack Whiteside...I Won't See You No More...from the Demics Covers CD that original drummer Nick Perry released back in 1998. Jack was in Uranus and many other bands.

21. Keith Whittaker...I'd Kiss You Honey...from his solo CD, Drink To Me that came out in 2007 on Bullseye Records.

22. The Hippies...How You Gonna Live...from their only single which came out around 1983.

23. The Hippies...9th...1983 demo when they had renamed themselves Tenement 13.

24. The Hippies...CanTeens...as above. This song will be on the cassette that comes out with WW #24.

25. Boy From Nowhere....What It Is...recorded live somewhere...Boy From Nowhere evolved out of The Hippies, with Jon Traut taking over the vocal duties....had to shorten this one as Ryan In The Red was about to start his Freakout show.

Next week we continue with more local noise from the late 70's up to the early 90's.

Graphic Underground London 1977-1990 is happening in London on Friday Oct 26th with the art opening at Forest City Gallery. Bell time is 7PM and it will be a licensed event. On display will be posters and zines from London from that era.

Then on Saturday Oct 27th, at Call The Office, will be the official opening night party. Featuring 4 London bands from that era, re-uniting for one night only....Uranus, NFG, The Zellots and The Enemas. Bands should be starting around 9:30 PM. We'll also have some big screens showing pictures from the time period.

Here's a link to the archived show:

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1800.mp3

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1830.mp3

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1900.mp3

• October 12, 2012 6:01 PM CDT
    • Hey Adam- Yeah, I saw The Buff Medways at Cavestomp 2001 at the Warsaw in Brooklyn.  What a night... just a few weeks after 9/11.  The Buffs were great, obviously.  The Downliners Sect played as well, and the Buffs came back out to sing along to some tracks and shake maracas, etc.  I have some photos, I think (I'll have to get them out of storage).  I saw Thee Headcoats a few years earlier in Manhattan (I've forgotten the venue) The Makers opened up for them.

Yeah, I could scan those zines for ya, in the spirit of research.  Just give me some time to dig 'em up and warm up the scanner! Best, Matt

Adam Kemp said:

So jealous you got to see those bands Matt, especially The Buff Medways. Where did you see them? Do you think there's any chance you could scan the copies of that zine into the computer? I would love to read them and I'm sure they would help. I'd never heard of it before you said.

And Jon, I'm not sure where it'll be available, I've only just started on the project but I'll definitely let you know.

Cheers.