Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• October 12, 2012 5:54 PM CDT
    • In a three band line-up, sticking the out of town group first or last is always a shitty thing to do and should be avoided at all costs -- even pissing off somebody local that thinks they've earned a better slot.

As a touring band merch sales can make or break your night and I can't tell you how many times we've juuuuuust barely had enough gas to make it to the next town. Door money almost always sucks and is nowhere near what you need (ESPECIALLY in a donation only scenario) and so getting as many eyeballs on that band that drove all day should be the primary goal of the lady/guy booking the show.

As far as I'm concerned.

• October 12, 2012 5:00 PM CDT
    • Everything Joe said above is totally true!!  When i got that Reform School CD it BLEW my mind...this guy had the perfect late 50's guitar tone, great selection of songs and musical styles (all in the late 50's/early 60's mode) and those screams remind me so much of Little Richard!! I love screamers!! And there's so few good ones and it's such a shame we lost one of the best at such a young age!! Just a kid!!

• October 12, 2012 2:35 PM CDT
    • I only own Reform School Girl, his most recent release, but that record alone is more than enough to convince anyone what incredible talent this guy had, and what the rock 'n roll community has lost.

• October 12, 2012 1:36 PM CDT
    • His death is a grievous loss...

just 35...So unfair!

• October 12, 2012 5:40 PM CDT
    • That messenger looks pretty freaking cool man. That green is doing it for me. The one concern I'd have is the placement of the pickup selector. I'm a reeeeal sloppy undisciplined strummer and I'd be whacking that thing back and fourth all day long. Those F-holes look freaking cool though!

That's basically what I was worried about -- build quality and road readiness. I almost went with the Hagstrom Viking II, but after reading a couple things about the cheap craftsmanship of the sub 600 dollar Hagstroms I started looking at Eastwood.

• October 12, 2012 5:31 PM CDT
    • well i play the drums, but our guitatist has an eastwood, the mosrite clone, he uses it regularly for gigs without any issues of tuning and the sound well, it is a killer! can not help you about this model, though I know some other people who use eatwood models and they are all happy with their value for money...

• October 12, 2012 5:13 PM CDT
    • i have the eastwood messenger and love it. i've had it for almost a year and find myself playing it more than my tele which i hadn't really put down in ten years. the messenger is extremely durable with a muddy rumble. i've never had a tuning issue. a very solid semi-hollow option if you don't want to spend $5,000. when i bought it, the action was really low, i still have to fix it, and the input jack was a little loose - but both those "issues" are an easy fix.

• October 12, 2012 4:57 PM CDT
    • So I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on this lil guy a bit later on this evening and I thought I'd get yall's opinion on Eastwood's Country Gentlemen copy the Classic 6.

Or maybe just Eastwood Guitars -- anybody got one? How do they hold up to serious gigging/touring? Stay in tune? Finish stay all shiny?

Here's some specs form their website:

• Custom Black Finish
      • Semi-Hollow Maple Body
      • Set Maple Neck
      • Rosewood Fingerboard
      • 24 Scale
      • 1 5/8 Nut
      • EW-Retro Humbuckers
      • Individual Volume Controls/Master Tone
      • Tune-O-Matic Bridge

• October 12, 2012 5:33 PM CDT
    • Many many years ago when I had someone record my two man band's record -- the way we did it was drums in the kitchen all by themselves and a guitar amp in the living room and then a bass amp on the other side of the house. With my Les Paul going through both amps we got a really fat sound.

I gotta say -- I like the way the recording sound came out, but if you wanna clean it up a little bit then I guess it seems like the place to start is with isolating the instruments even just a little bit.

• October 12, 2012 5:23 PM CDT
    • name: sir coyler
      sex: male
      hobbies: rainier, refer, 60s punk
      fav 60s bands: the creation, the alarm clocks, the monks, painted ship, 13th floor elevators, the sonics, the preachers, matthew moore plus four, the torquays
      fav 70s bands: the saints, the ramones, the scientists, the stooges, mc5, the flamin' groovies
      fav 90s bands: the gories, the oblivians, the mummies, mono men
      my band: sucks

• October 12, 2012 5:17 PM CDT
    • i dig it. very dark but still carries the iconic-MODERN (90s, 00s) stones dance-able licks.

• October 12, 2012 1:25 PM CDT
    • that aint bad man,i fuckin heard worse.

• October 12, 2012 11:27 AM CDT
    • Okay, let me first say that I love the Stones (especially their early stuff), and this song is... good.  It is crafted well. The guitars have a nice crunchy-dirty sound and strut.  The drums are stripped down and basic creating a nice drive to the song.

However....

The verse has the stink of New Nashville all over it.  The meter is eerily similar to Shania Twain's "I Feel Like A Woman".  Is anyone else getting that?  As for the chorus... IT IS THE STONES indeed, and it sounds great!!!

• October 12, 2012 10:16 AM CDT
    • It's no Emotional Rescue (thankfully).

It's interesting to use the Rolling Stones as a tool to measure the prevailing trends in popular culture. Their music and lyrics (and the presentation of it) have always reflected (some might say refracted because it's always thru the recognizable lens of the R.S. sound) elements of the zeitgeist.

It's gotta be tough to be Rolling Stones in an age where The White Stripes and Black Keys are mega popular. 

• October 12, 2012 10:11 AM CDT
    • Yeah man I dig it- liking the guitar riff sound too. Not too polished by major studio standards. Mick's still got the depth to his voice. Amazing for a 69 year old guy.

• October 12, 2012 4:51 PM CDT
    • Download or stream the Oct. 12 show right here.

Sleepy Hollow – The Last Word
      I’m The Wolfman – Round Robin
      The Chooper – Haunted George
      Got Me a Monster – Big Vinny & the Cattle Thieves
      Lady Blood – Apache Dropout
      Dead Man Singing – Angus MacMannus

One Monkey Don’t Stop No Show – Joe Tex
      Midnight Express – The Fabulous Falcons
      Knock You Down – Jeff Hershey & the Heartbeats
      Breakout – Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels
      Nightmare – Whyte Boots

Collen – Figures of Light
      The Bag I’m In – Ty Segall Band
      Los Perros – Mesa Coasa
      Action Time – Atomic Suplex
      Motorbike Driving – Wilmer X
      Can’t Pay the Rent – The Long Gones

Local Lunchbox
      Earwig – Tentement
      Turkatron – The Hussy
      Cinnamon Girl – Killdozer
      We All Know – Ramma Lamma

My Boyfriend’s in Killdozer – Young Fresh Fellows
      Another Ten Reasons – Young Fresh Fellows
      E Too D – The 27 Various
      My Way of Giving – The Small Faces
      I Walk on Gilded Splinters - Johnny Jenkins

You’ll Be Mine – Daddy Long Legs
      Have You Ever Spent the Night in Jail – The Saddletramps
      Pond Fork River – Hasil Adkins

Let’s Dance – Midnight Woolf
      Beat-Nik – J.M. Van Eaton
      The Big Break – Walter Daniels
      She’ll Be My Death – Bantam Rooster
      Por Que Yo – Los Infierno

I Live For Buzz – The Swingin’ Neckbreakers
      Don’t Give It Up Now – Lyres
      Don’t Take Your Bad Trip Out On Me – The Electric Mess
      Paye Ta Chatte – Combomatix
      This is Not the Way Home – Rainy Day Saints
      All That Candy – The Setting Son

Bird – Wlydlife
      Music City USA – Million Sellers
      Legless – The Legs
      I Go to Pieces – Del Shannon
      I Will Not Be Lonely – The Fanatics
      Party Lights – South Bay Surfers

Hate My Guts – The Flip-Tops
      Television Youth – Sonic Avenues
      Alright With Me – The White Wires
      Stay Away From Downtown – Redd Kross
      We’ll Take You Higher – The Live Ones
      Part of My Love – The Nervebreakers
      Long Island Lolita – Brijitte West & the Desperate Hopefuls

• October 12, 2012 4:48 PM CDT
    • Totally awful, and I'll bet it pulls a big bow in the neck.

The Revox said:

If you want to see ugly stuff check all this woody 5 to 12 strings basses. It s like all the guys who own this stuff have lost their good taste in a accident :-)

• October 12, 2012 1:52 PM CDT
    • Ouch!!!!......I see what you mean.....that is very, very nasty.....and not in a good way.....

The Revox said:

If you want to see ugly stuff check all this woody 5 to 12 strings basses. It s like all the guys who own this stuff have lost their good taste in a accident :-)

• October 12, 2012 1:19 PM CDT
    • If you want to see ugly stuff check all this woody 5 to 12 strings basses. It s like all the guys who own this stuff have lost their good taste in a accident :-)

• October 12, 2012 4:05 PM CDT
    • Show #393: "Bands & Artists Starting With R, Part 5"

Every 3 weeks I do a series of shows I call the "Alphabetical Series" where I randomly draw a letter of the alphabet from a hat. Whatever letter I draw, I take all the bands and artists in my collection (from the 50's, 60's & 70's only) that start with that letter and play them in strict alphabetical order one by one until I run out of time. This week I drew the letter "R". This is the fifth time I've drawn the letter "R", so I will start from where I left off on show #4 (which was with George Romanos). So, tune in tonight (Friday at 10:00pm EST) to hear 3 hours of bands and artists that start with "R" like: The Romans, Rudy Romero, Ron & The Starfires, Ronald & Ruby, The Rondels, The Ronettes, Ronny & The Daytonas, Mick Ronson, 2 different Rooks, The Roomates, The Rooney Brothers, Mickey Rooney Jr, The Roosters, The Roots, The Rose Garden, Biff Rose, Tim Rose, Rosebud, Rosie, Ross, Diana Ross & The Supremes, Ronnie Ross & The Good Guys, Nita Rossi, Rotary Connection, 2 different Rotations, Michael Rother, and many others!!

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 6748511750 ... Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Watch my playlist unravel before your eyes LIVE here: http://wscafm.radioactivity.fm/

Egg

• October 12, 2012 2:49 PM CDT
    • I didn’t intend to convey any hatred or dislike of females in that statement. 

I meant The Nots played like mature, strong, confident women as opposed to the charming innocence and simplicity of Toxie.  Maybe subconsciously I was thinking of the response in the GF9 Program Guide from Cecilia from Cecilia and the Sauerkrauts.  When asked for a “…tip for girls in rock bands” she replied, “Don’t act like girls.” 

http://www.goner-records.com/gonerfest/GF9ProgramGuide.pdf

In the future, I will be more mindful to choose my words more carefully.  It’s good that you call “bullshit” on things that you see as being wrong and I hope you continue to be diligent in regards to examples of both misogyny and misandry.

“In the past quarter century, we exposed biases against other races and called it racism, and we exposed biases against women and called it sexism. Biases against men we call humor.”

—Warren Farrell, Women Can't Hear What Men Don't Say

• October 12, 2012 12:11 PM CDT
    • I got the 3 Canadian 60s 45s and they ROCK! Great sound, nice sleeves...can't wait for the Aussie issues too!

• October 12, 2012 10:45 AM CDT
    • Gun Club, Blowtops, if I think of any more I'll add on.

• October 12, 2012 10:27 AM CDT
    • The Black Lips hands down and then Jay Reatard. Dare I even mention the Strokes at first.