Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• October 12, 2012 9:35 AM CDT
    • I heard it yesterday morning and it rocks. Kinda garage-y, dark and muddy but it's the Stones. I'm only pissed that it's only one of two tracks of another compilation album out of countless compilation albums The Stones have put out in their 50 year career. I hope they put out a new album soon though but all in all, The Stones still rock and still can show how the big boys roll.

• October 12, 2012 8:31 AM CDT
    • I know I know, on our LP we have 2 songs that last more than 5 minutes :-), it's was a kind of swiss joke !I was surprise by the energy in the voice of Jagger, it has something very punk ! And 50 years... it's nearly twice my age ! Who said rock'n'roll is not the best medicine ?

• October 12, 2012 7:52 AM CDT
    • Sounds good to me! Better than 99% of the rest of "popular" music being produced these days. If they can still produce great songs some 50 years after starting out, then more power to 'em.

And who cares if it's more than 4 minutes long? A lot of the Stones songs were longer than 4 minutes. Hell, a lot of the songs on the Hideout Comp Series are longer than 4 minutes.

• October 12, 2012 3:11 AM CDT
    • Should they be dead or it's ok for old buddies ?

Have you hear the new Rolling Stones song "Doom and Gloom" ?

Do you think they should have die (or at least stop music) years ago ?

Or is this song ok for this old guys ?

(but why more than 4 minutes for a rock song like this ?)

• October 12, 2012 8:03 AM CDT
    • As I'm sure most of you have heard by now, Nick Curran passed away on Oct. 6 at the age of 35 after a long battle with oral cancer. I just thought he deserved a remembrance thread here on the Hideout honoring him and his great music. RIP, Nick.

Here's one of my favorite live clips of him going absolutely wild at a show in Milan, Italy:

• October 12, 2012 4:22 AM CDT
    • Ian,

Great stuff!  Needs to be published, those bands.

I do another magazine that has other Oz acts in them called Ain't Got No Feelin'.  It had Mort and the Mobees, Terry Dean and the Nitebeats, the Modes, The Sands, etc.  I could put them in that one.

• October 12, 2012 3:56 AM CDT
    • Him & The Others, Allen Pounds Get Rch, The Afex, The Shades Of Blue, The Circle, The Act, The Doughnuts, Jason Dean, also good friends with Meally & Costello who written / produced She's Got eyes That Tell Lies.

I am busy at the moment but i can start on one, and let you know when its finished. Some of the bands stories are, well basically no stories at all (APGR) but there is some info on a band that absolutely nothing is known, but adamant researching for 20 years, has uncovered something

• October 12, 2012 3:49 AM CDT
    • Hi Ian, which bands did you have in mind?

Gruesome Grinham said:

Let me know if you need some articles on Little known bands Ian

• October 12, 2012 3:39 AM CDT
    • Let me know if you need some articles on Little known bands Ian

• October 11, 2012 6:45 PM CDT
    • This magazine consists of interviews of musicians who where there in the 1960s having fun playing rock music, and changed the social fabric of history. In this issue we have The Pacifics - minor hits, 'Barracuda' and 'Slowly But Slowly.' Toni McCann, a diminutive 15 year old who sang raucous songs, and recorded garage classics, 'Saturday Date', 'No.' Plenty of pix, published in color.

www.lulu.com/shop/andrew-ainsworth/rhythm-beat/paperback/product-20436490.html

• October 11, 2012 9:50 PM CDT
    • Jay Reatard, Black Lips, Los Peyotes, Kurt Vile

• October 11, 2012 7:48 PM CDT
    • Selling out means changing your sound/vibe/look/ethos in order to please the masses and get more attention and make more money.

• October 11, 2012 7:41 PM CDT
    • "They didn't play like girls?" Dammit, Dave retro music is cool, retro misogyny is not. Glad you had a good time.

• October 10, 2012 7:14 PM CDT
    • All this going on at once , and Jeffrey Evans  had to OPEN THE SHOW? Oh , well.....I WILL READ THIS LATER , MY EYES ARE A BIT IRRITATED , IT LOOKS LIKE YOU COVERED ALLTHE BASES, WHICH IS HARD TO DO WITH A BIG FESTIVAL LIKE THIS.....

• October 11, 2012 7:24 PM CDT
    • I really like New Model Army. I only started listening to them about 10 years ago after they made a rare visit to Atlanta and their show blew me away. Their most recent album, Today is a Good Day (2009) is their best since The love of hopeless causes (1993). Yes, I can see why anyone can think their sound is very "dated" because the lyrics are very earnest and political, but I guess I need a little of that from time, especially during election season. "Turn out the lights on the age of reason!"

• October 10, 2012 2:39 PM CDT
    • I never thought much of them , but , I realize that probably puts me in a minority. I think Kopper has a point , though he left it here about a year ago. A friend who tried to get me going on them was also a Quaker , coincidentally. She did'nt mention the guy from NMA being one.

PAUL REVERE IS  A MENNONITE (NOT THE SAME THING.) AND WAS A CONSCIENTIOUS OBJECTOR BEFORE THE VIETNAM WAR BROKE OUT. I'D MUCH RATHER LISTEN TO THE RAIDERS , THO' AN OLDER FRIEND OF JAMES PORTER AND MYSELF TOLD HIM THEY'RE "GARBAGE" . HA HA HA.

• October 11, 2012 2:54 PM CDT
    • Hi Allan,

Thanks for getting back to me. So many amazing bands you've been in! I'll get some questions written up and email them to you. I'll try and come see your new band when you play in Dalston too, not too far from where I am.

Cheers

• October 11, 2012 1:59 PM CDT
    • It sounds just like What Gallon Drunk and The Cramps were doing, just a lot sultrier.

Dead Boy said:

• October 11, 2012 6:02 AM CDT
    • Martin Denny and Esquivel yes.

Add maybe some Les Baxter, one  drop of Perez Prado, a thin slab of Yma Sumac and a dose of Latinia-style moody surf. 

Or even some spacey instro a la Gene and the Esquires and a bit of theremin...

Also, you can't wrong with the LAVENDER JUNGLE compilation or even some Las Vegas Grind/ Jungle Exotica comps for a more sleazy cocktail.

Cheers Ladies and Gentlemen !

• October 10, 2012 2:42 PM CDT
    • Like "Bert" , somebody named "Bert"? That's still kinda funny.  Lumabgo's not funny ,but, it sounds funny when you say it.....

• October 10, 2012 2:39 PM CDT
    • Yep, I'm sad, someone told me it was berts and i looked it up and apparently it's berts. No cockney humour I'm afraid. Would be better if it was though...

• October 10, 2012 2:30 PM CDT
    • Is that right? I always thought it was "Bird's Lumbago" , not because I ever thought a bird could GET Lumabago , just Marriott's irreverent/irrelevant Cockney humor.  Did you see a transcripton of the lyrics ? I usually don't look 'em up, unless I must.

Check out Jack Wild's version , if you can. Between the two of them , and Davy Jones (Who never recorded the song.) ,it could have been The Artful Dodger Trinity song. 

• October 11, 2012 1:10 AM CDT
    • I'm looking for some underground music like the bands mentioned in the title; Cramps/Birthday Party influenced. Know any?