Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• July 27, 2012 9:54 AM CDT
    • I just posted this on my blog and thought some here may be interested. It's a 2002 recording from The Beat Kitchen in Chicago. Not sure how widely circulated it is, but if you don't have, it's a pretty nice artifact.

http://greatwhitewonders.blogspot.com/

• July 27, 2012 4:57 AM CDT
    • I used to love Lolita No. 18. The real garage stuff with harsh cartoony vocals screaming out "Hang on Snoopy" (SIC) was great.  Benten used to be a real kinda garage girls label. But Lolita, ever since they did a collaboration with Toy Dolls and had a significant line-up change, have become more of an oi punk thing in Japan. Poni-Camp has the guitarist from Lolita No.18 and they have more of a powerpop/punk sound. But all the real great Benten bands from the 90's just don't exist anymore.

• July 26, 2012 1:05 PM CDT
    • ANYBODY REMEMBER FIFI AND tHE MACH 3 ?

John Battles said:

OH , YEAH , I THINK  I  SAW THEM. I'VE ALREADY PUT A LOT OF THE JAPANESE 90'S/00'S BANDS BEHIND ME , THOUGH.

swt said:

I'm a big fan of the Benten bands.

Here's Lolita No. 18 covering a Sex Pistol classic

hee

The Michelle Gun Elephant was pretty bitchen too.

I did a whole set of Japanese rock on my podcast a couple of years ago. It's here: http://garagepunk.ning.com/profiles/blogs/big-enchilada-27-forbidden

• July 26, 2012 1:01 PM CDT
    • OH , YEAH , I THINK  I  SAW THEM. I'VE ALREADY PUT A LOT OF THE JAPANESE 90'S/00'S BANDS BEHIND ME , THOUGH.

swt said:

I'm a big fan of the Benten bands.

Here's Lolita No. 18 covering a Sex Pistol classic

hee

The Michelle Gun Elephant was pretty bitchen too.

I did a whole set of Japanese rock on my podcast a couple of years ago. It's here: http://garagepunk.ning.com/profiles/blogs/big-enchilada-27-forbidden

• July 26, 2012 8:28 AM CDT
    • QFT. When we saw the Fadeaways play last fall, I asked my husband if he thought the drummer knew how cool his hair looked while he was playing.

John Battles said:

If you're Japanese , any of you , take pride in the fact that you have the best fucking HAIR in the world.

• July 25, 2012 3:55 PM CDT
    • Drop what you're doing , all of you , and look up The Golden Cups' "Hey Joe" , if you've never heard it. UNFUCKINSANE !!!!!!!

Old School Hero said:

THIS. I love 60's Group Sounds. Gotta love that wyld version of Hey Joe by the Golden Cups. Also can't forget Blind Bird (Please Kill Me) by The Mops. 

John Battles said:

....I kind of got off most of the Japanese Garage bands that were popular (Well , KNOWN TO SOME , put it that way.) mainly in the 90's. I liked The Sleez Sisters , still do , tho' I only have one single and maybe a track on a comp (If I did'nt trade it in.). Just kinda fun , catchy  all - girl Punk. I still like Mescaline Drive , who were an all - girl Psych/Garage / Pop outfit. Very catchy tunes. There's live video on youboob (Touche , Kopper.) .

But , I'm a little surprised , seems no one's mentioned Group Sound , where this whole thing began in Japan. Group Sound is what they called the mid - 60's Anglo - American - influenced bands in Japan. A lot of this stuff is pretty insane , fuzztone overload sonic boom , but , some , like The Tigers , who were huge in Japan , is more Pop - oriented. Some bands swung both ways. Musically. But , I'd recommend The Spiders , Golden Cups , Carnabeats , Voltage , Beavers , Dynamites , Outkast , Playboy , Rangers , Swing West....The Spiders and Golden Cups were among the biggest , so there IS footage on You Tube, more of The Spiders , last I checked. The excellent "G.S. I Love You" series on Big Beat , curated by Alec Palao , will definitely set you in the right direction. That , and the Teen Trash From Tokyo series (3 volumes , released on colored vinyl , from Italy , they tell us. These came out Late 80'S OR EARLY 90's.) , if you can track 'em down....But , before even that , there was the Elecki movement ,fronted by Guitarist , Singer , Composer and Arranger , Yuzo Kayawa.  Elecki was inspired by The Ventures and Surf music. If you like Los Straitjackets , you already like Elecki. As Group Sound took over , Kayawa got into film sountracks , including some of the popular Giant Monster -Sci Fi films. But , his work in that area was also very Psych and Garage oriented.  I think he still records today. I saw video from just a few years ago , and it still sounded like the early Elecki stuff.  I've only recently taken any interest in post - GS Japanese Rock , but , the first Glam band inJapan , Vodka Collins , come recommended by me , and probably several others , here. Vodka Collins was actually lead by  a White guy from the East Coast , Alan Merrill , with two Japanese band members. Man's Ruin put out a CD of their recordings , very Bowie/Bolanesque with a good , hard guitar sound. Merrill moved to the UK ,and had a hit with The Arrows. That song would go on to be one of the biggest Rock singles by a female artist in the last Quarter of the 20TH Century.

"I Love Rock'n' Roll".

• July 25, 2012 3:54 PM CDT
    •  If you're Japanese , any of you , take pride in the fact that you have the best fucking HAIR in the world. Even his mudflap looks great ! Great threads , too . And , look , the kids are dancing to Rock'n'Roll. I remember that.

OK , the hair and clothes don't play Rock'n'Roll , but , they sure did ! Thanks for sharing.

• July 26, 2012 6:33 PM CDT
    • The X-Boyfriends are some friends of mine, they've been playing locally for a couple years, but just getting their shit together online. 

They've got some songs up on their FB page, check it out.

• July 25, 2012 2:24 PM CDT
    • Hi Axel, you probably know about this, but I've never heard anything else like them-

Os Mutantes- Bat Macumba It's Brazilian. Oh, and you know about Wooden Shjips, right? Not too different, but slightly psychedelic.

Peace, Dave

• July 26, 2012 3:22 PM CDT
    • Ah, Naz Nomad. Had a few drinks with their number one fan Dave Vanian at an AFI gig in London one night. He was with Pinch and Patricia Morrison and was in a 'full Vanian outfit', never took his white gloves off all night, even when buying drink! 

John Battles said:

That's too funny. I still think the funniest instance of hot (NOT!!!!!) tidy whitey action on stage was when I saw The Damned , I think , in 1997. Of course , The Cap'n was known for lettin' the ol' boy out  , from as far back as the first U.S tour in '77 (With The Dead Boys) . But , at this gig , he was down to his not - so - tidy whities, toward the end of the show ("Make 'em beg"). They were hangin' so low on him , he could have had a hammock - stuffing contest against Felix and his Amazing Underpants , AND WON !  But , WHEN THE SHOW WAS OVER , INSTEAD OF GOING BACKSTAGE (There was'nt really a backstage entrance from the stage , itself.), He just lept off the stage , still in his underwear , until , predictably , a female fan yanked them off. He carried on , smiling , shaking hands , giving people the "Thumbs up" sign , going , "RIGHT , CHEERS! BRILLIANT ! NICE ONE !".

......OH , AND THEY TELL ME OF THIS BAND CALLED NAZ NOMAD AND tHE NIGHTMARES.  THEIR REISSUE IN THE 80's OUTSOLD HALF THE EVA CATALOGUE AND "PEBBLES VOL. MCXVIII . Vatican City Lashes Back.". DAMNED if it did'nt.

• July 26, 2012 3:17 PM CDT
    • You never fail to put a smile on my face JB! What is a 'full slab?' never heard of that before, and Ive watched a lot of 'man versus food!'

John Battles said:

No , it's true. Mick is from The Deep South . He led the big migration to England that was later followed by The Walker Bros. , Jimi Hendrix , Suzi Quatro and Sparks. He had to take a course in Assimilation , though when he attended The London College of Economics. IN OTHER WORDS , WHEREAS AN ENGLISH PERSON MIGHT SAY "BANGERS AND MASH , PLEASE" , MICK WOULD HAVE SAID , "A FULL SLAB , WITH LOUISIANA HOT SAUCE , CORNBREAD , AND WHAT SIDES HAVE YOU GOT?".

"TEA , milk and sugar , with lemon , if you will".        "Sweet tea , ma'am"

" I SAY , I DON'T ARF FANCY HER !"    "Gaaahhh damn ! She's hot as July Jam".

" I quite like Muddy Waters on Chess Records , me. It'd be an HONOUR  to share the same stage with him , one day....AHHHHH. As if that'll ever happen." 

"Muddy Waters? I filled his car up with Regular , once. Purdy good guy to shoot the shit with.".

Mark George Harrison said:

Are you trying to imply Micks not from the deep south JB? The ever changing Jagger voice has always amused me, from well spoken middle class young man to naughty cockney to cringe inducing faux American accent. Still, when you've got his money!

John Battles said:

Mark George ,    WHA' , Y'MEAN , SOUTH OF LONDON?

I've been too busy to just look it up , but , for eons (That's aoens in Yankeese.)

I thought Jagger was saying " I'm gonna hit and run rape her in anger"
      (In "Midnight Rambler" ) , which , I thought , even for him , was misogynistic as Hell , though , obviously , not coming from the First Person P.O.V. , but from a role played in the song.     But , then , it occured to me , he was probably saying "Rapier" , as he's reading off a list of weapons ( " Knife - sharpened tipee - toe , shoot 'em dead....cloak and dagger....stick my knife right down your throat".).

I also thought an audience member was saying "CODS , HAM !!! CODS , HAM !!!" , BUT , Rock'n'Roll fucks upyour ears.

Sorry JB, I did wonder at you getting something wrong!

A lot of Jaggers lyrics are hard to decipher due to his 'southern drawl!'

John Battles said:

THAT'S WHAT i WAS SAYING  , THAT THE CORRECT WORD WAS RAPIER , THE WAY I ORIGINALLY HEARD IT , THOUGH , WAS RAZOR.   FROM "HONKY TONK WOMEN ON , IT'S CORRECT LYRIC , FIRST.           ANYONE WANT TO TACKLE "MIDNIGHT RAMBLER , AND STAY FASHIONABLE , WHILE WE'RE AT IT?

Whiskey in the jar is rapier JB, not razor. 

John Battles said:

"Hot and Nasty" , Black Oak Arkansas - "They call me hot and nasty , they call me Mr. Pansy.".       Actual lyric - "They call me Mr. Fancy".

Johnny Thunders (And Walter Lure's Heroes) "Too Much Junkie Business"

"Your the coolest thing in town , with your face flat on the ground. Friends went through your pockets as the coffee went down...."

"...AS THE COFFIN WENT DOWN".

( I thought they were saying "Coffee" in reference the suposedly surefire way to revive an OD victim by pouring hot coffee down their throat , which , reportedly , is how original Dolls Drummer, Billy Murcia , died. ).

"Honky Tonk Women" , YOU KNOW WHO. "I laid a Divorcee in New York City..."

"I LATER DID THE SAME IN NEW YORK CITY....". 

"Whiskey In The Jar" (Trad.) - Dubliners , Thin Lizzy.

" I first produced me pistol , and then produced my rapier." 

"And then produced my razor.''.

David Bowie - "Hang on To Yourself" -     "And we move around like tigers on vaseline"

"If you like f*gg*ts and vaseline".  I'm sorry , that IS what it sounded like until I saw the actual lyrics.

"All The Madmen "- "My libido split on me , give me some good old lobotomy."

"And The Beatles split on me...." (Very topical for 1971.)

"Ziggy Stardust" - "He could lick 'em by smiling....." . Do I have to say it?

"The kids were just crass"     "The kids were just crap.".

"Suffragette City"  "AW , DOOGIE , DON'T CRASH HERE"  

"There's usually dope 'round here....".

"Width of a Circle"    'To which he laughed insane "Kahlil Gibran".

"To which he laughed and said "God's will , children."

Romeo Void (I forget the song.)    "Get THAT JERK OFF YOUR MIND" (Do I have to say it?).

• July 25, 2012 3:43 PM CDT
    •  No , it's true. Mick is from The Deep South . He led the big migration to England that was later followed by The Walker Bros. , Jimi Hendrix , Suzi Quatro and Sparks. He had to take a course in Assimilation , though when he attended The London College of Economics. IN OTHER WORDS , WHEREAS AN ENGLISH PERSON MIGHT SAY "BANGERS AND MASH , PLEASE" , MICK WOULD HAVE SAID , "A FULL SLAB , WITH LOUISIANA HOT SAUCE , CORNBREAD , AND WHAT SIDES HAVE YOU GOT?".

"TEA , milk and sugar , with lemon , if you will".        "Sweet tea , ma'am"

" I SAY , I DON'T ARF FANCY HER !"    "Gaaahhh damn ! She's hot as July Jam".

" I quite like Muddy Waters on Chess Records , me. It'd be an HONOUR  to share the same stage with him , one day....AHHHHH. As if that'll ever happen." 

"Muddy Waters? I filled his car up with Regular , once. Purdy good guy to shoot the shit with.".

Are you trying to imply Micks not from the deep south JB? The ever changing Jagger voice has always amused me, from well spoken middle class young man to naughty cockney to cringe inducing faux American accent. Still, when you've got his money!

John Battles said:

I've been too busy to just look it up , but , for eons (That's aoens in Yankeese.)

(In "Midnight Rambler" ) , which , I thought , even for him , was misogynistic as Hell , though , obviously , not coming from the First Person P.O.V. , but from a role played in the song.     But , then , it occured to me , he was probably saying "Rapier" , as he's reading off a list of weapons ( " Knife - sharpened tipee - toe , shoot 'em dead....cloak and dagger....stick my knife right down your throat".).

I also thought an audience member was saying "CODS , HAM !!! CODS , HAM !!!" , BUT , Rock'n'Roll fucks upyour ears.

John Battles said:

THAT'S WHAT i WAS SAYING  , THAT THE CORRECT WORD WAS RAPIER , THE WAY I ORIGINALLY HEARD IT , THOUGH , WAS RAZOR.   FROM "HONKY TONK WOMEN ON , IT'S CORRECT LYRIC , FIRST.           ANYONE WANT TO TACKLE "MIDNIGHT RAMBLER , AND STAY FASHIONABLE , WHILE WE'RE AT IT?

John Battles said:

"Hot and Nasty" , Black Oak Arkansas - "They call me hot and nasty , they call me Mr. Pansy.".       Actual lyric - "They call me Mr. Fancy".

"Your the coolest thing in town , with your face flat on the ground. Friends went through your pockets as the coffee went down...."

( I thought they were saying "Coffee" in reference the suposedly surefire way to revive an OD victim by pouring hot coffee down their throat , which , reportedly , is how original Dolls Drummer, Billy Murcia , died. ).

David Bowie - "Hang on To Yourself" -     "And we move around like tigers on vaseline"

"If you like f*gg*ts and vaseline".  I'm sorry , that IS what it sounded like until I saw the actual lyrics.

Romeo Void (I forget the song.)    "Get THAT JERK OFF YOUR MIND" (Do I have to say it?).

• July 25, 2012 1:23 PM CDT
    • Are you trying to imply Micks not from the deep south JB? The ever changing Jagger voice has always amused me, from well spoken middle class young man to naughty cockney to cringe inducing faux American accent. Still, when you've got his money!

John Battles said:

John Battles said:

John Battles said:

• July 26, 2012 12:06 PM CDT
    • I've seen Hanoi Rocks, both way back when and more recently. I also happened to be in Finland in 2001 when Mike Monroe and Andy McCoy played at a festival to test the water as to the reception Hanoi would receive (didn't go - I was motor racing instead). My friends translated the (glowing) reviews for me!

D.

• July 26, 2012 9:05 AM CDT
    • Joanie,

Hey, Andrea here (you know me from around Boston).  Thanks for posting about this.  I've seen the name Giuda bandied about but hadn't located anything about them yet.  This is some great stuff!  Shame they are playing on a Monday night, but I still may have to go check it out.

Joanie Lindstrom said:

For those of you who want to see someone new sounding like the heyday of upbeat rocking glam, check out Giuda from Italy doing a short tour in Sept.

http://terminal-boredom.com/forums/index.php?topic=35390.0

Should be good.

• July 26, 2012 5:54 AM CDT
    • Coincidentally, I'm going to open my show with Michael Monroe today (10AM Boston time http://wmbr.org) and was hoping they'd tour again.  Saw them last Oct. and it was really good. Looks like they've just been playing in Scandinavia for a while, doesn't he live in LA now? Hopefully they'll come back in the not too distant future.

And Matt, if you come down to Boston to see Giuda, let me know.

Duke Of Earl said:

yES! I didnt like the news that dolls were playing with motley crue. Infact it flat out bugged and i refused to go. Now Im glad members split off and joined back in Hanoi. Need to hear when I can see that tour now. 

John Battles said:

tHAT'S VERY COOL , THAT YOU GOT TO SEE HANOI ROCKS IN THEIR PRIME. A STILL - MISUNDERSTOOD BAND. AMERICANS TENDED TO CLASSIFY 'EM AS "METAL". I did'nt get that , either......I almost got to see them , I wanted to , on the strength of 'Malibu Beach Nightmare " , but the show was cancelled , of course , following Razzle's death. But , Sam Yaffa and Steve Conte left the latter - day Dolls to join Michael Monroes's band , after Yaffa refused to tour with Motley Crue  , and most of you know why. End result , Monroe is now fronting an ass- whoopin' band that deserves to bear the Hanoi Rocks name , but , does'nt.

• July 26, 2012 12:03 AM CDT
    • yES! I didnt like the news that dolls were playing with motley crue. Infact it flat out bugged and i refused to go. Now Im glad members split off and joined back in Hanoi. Need to hear when I can see that tour now. 

John Battles said:

tHAT'S VERY COOL , THAT YOU GOT TO SEE HANOI ROCKS IN THEIR PRIME. A STILL - MISUNDERSTOOD BAND. AMERICANS TENDED TO CLASSIFY 'EM AS "METAL". I did'nt get that , either......I almost got to see them , I wanted to , on the strength of 'Malibu Beach Nightmare " , but the show was cancelled , of course , following Razzle's death. But , Sam Yaffa and Steve Conte left the latter - day Dolls to join Michael Monroes's band , after Yaffa refused to tour with Motley Crue  , and most of you know why. End result , Monroe is now fronting an ass- whoopin' band that deserves to bear the Hanoi Rocks name , but , does'nt.

Nero said:

It actually worries me that I can remember this kind of stuff, but I have a feeling that the short-lived band you're thinking of was called Shooting Gallery. Think it was Andy McCoy, Tregunna, the singer was a guy called Billy Bang (? okay, I might have made that bit up), and Jo Dog from Dogs D'Amour was in them for a bit, too. Never heard them or saw them live, so quite why I remember this trivia is beyond me. Probably because I was a big Hanoi Rocks fan, saw them a couple of times in their prime, once at the Electric Ballroom in Camden with a band called Ligotage supporting, whose singer was Beki Bondage from Vice Squad, who were pursuing a similar punk/glam sound.

I guess glam is at the root of it all for me, growing up in Seventies Britain. 'Blockbuster' and 'Hellraiser' by the Sweet were my first two 45s, and seeing Bowie in Top Of The Pops doing 'Starman' left an indelible impression. Funny, though, how bands like Sweet and Slade get referred to as 'bricklayers in eyeshadow' by the early punks (I'm thinking of people like Siouxsie, here), unlike the artier Bowie and Roxy Music.  

John Battles said:

PROBABLY. tHE ONLY PEOPLE i'VE HEARD TALK ABOUT THEM HAD LIVED IN FINLAND. Andy had , or has , a dysfunctional Rock 'n'Roll "Reality TV' show , liek the Osbournes and The $immon$  family.     I saw Andy twice in '88 WITH iGGY pOP , BUT , i THINK THAT'S THE ONLY U.S TOUR HE'S DONE SINCE THE ABORTIVE AND POORLY PROMOTED US TOUR WHICH ENDED , AS I'M SURE YOU ALL KNOW , IN DRUMMER , RAZZLE'S DEATH WITH VINCE NEAL AT THE WHEEL (HE COULD'NT HAVE SENT OUT FOR BEER?). NO , WAIT , THERE WAS ANOTHER BAND. I FORGET THEIR NAME. HIM , DAVE TREGUNNA OR Kenny Laguna, THE GUY FROM lORDS AND sHAM 69. MAYBE NASTY SUICIDE , TOO? They were at China Club , and I refused to go there.

Duke Of Earl said:

I heard 2 pelle albums but never the one with Andy Mccoy. Apparently they were finnish only releases. 

The Fnords said:

Pelle Miljoona was Andy McCoy's best-known pre-Hanoi Rocks band; I've none of their records though. D.

• July 25, 2012 11:44 PM CDT
    • tHAT'S VERY COOL , THAT YOU GOT TO SEE HANOI ROCKS IN THEIR PRIME. A STILL - MISUNDERSTOOD BAND. AMERICANS TENDED TO CLASSIFY 'EM AS "METAL". I did'nt get that , either......I almost got to see them , I wanted to , on the strength of 'Malibu Beach Nightmare " , but the show was cancelled , of course , following Razzle's death. But , Sam Yaffa and Steve Conte left the latter - day Dolls to join Michael Monroes's band , after Yaffa refused to tour with Motley Crue  , and most of you know why. End result , Monroe is now fronting an ass- whoopin' band that deserves to bear the Hanoi Rocks name , but , does'nt.

Nero said:

It actually worries me that I can remember this kind of stuff, but I have a feeling that the short-lived band you're thinking of was called Shooting Gallery. Think it was Andy McCoy, Tregunna, the singer was a guy called Billy Bang (? okay, I might have made that bit up), and Jo Dog from Dogs D'Amour was in them for a bit, too. Never heard them or saw them live, so quite why I remember this trivia is beyond me. Probably because I was a big Hanoi Rocks fan, saw them a couple of times in their prime, once at the Electric Ballroom in Camden with a band called Ligotage supporting, whose singer was Beki Bondage from Vice Squad, who were pursuing a similar punk/glam sound.

I guess glam is at the root of it all for me, growing up in Seventies Britain. 'Blockbuster' and 'Hellraiser' by the Sweet were my first two 45s, and seeing Bowie in Top Of The Pops doing 'Starman' left an indelible impression. Funny, though, how bands like Sweet and Slade get referred to as 'bricklayers in eyeshadow' by the early punks (I'm thinking of people like Siouxsie, here), unlike the artier Bowie and Roxy Music.  

John Battles said:

PROBABLY. tHE ONLY PEOPLE i'VE HEARD TALK ABOUT THEM HAD LIVED IN FINLAND. Andy had , or has , a dysfunctional Rock 'n'Roll "Reality TV' show , liek the Osbournes and The $immon$  family.     I saw Andy twice in '88 WITH iGGY pOP , BUT , i THINK THAT'S THE ONLY U.S TOUR HE'S DONE SINCE THE ABORTIVE AND POORLY PROMOTED US TOUR WHICH ENDED , AS I'M SURE YOU ALL KNOW , IN DRUMMER , RAZZLE'S DEATH WITH VINCE NEAL AT THE WHEEL (HE COULD'NT HAVE SENT OUT FOR BEER?). NO , WAIT , THERE WAS ANOTHER BAND. I FORGET THEIR NAME. HIM , DAVE TREGUNNA OR Kenny Laguna, THE GUY FROM lORDS AND sHAM 69. MAYBE NASTY SUICIDE , TOO? They were at China Club , and I refused to go there.

Duke Of Earl said:

I heard 2 pelle albums but never the one with Andy Mccoy. Apparently they were finnish only releases. 

The Fnords said:

Pelle Miljoona was Andy McCoy's best-known pre-Hanoi Rocks band; I've none of their records though. D.

• July 25, 2012 5:12 PM CDT
    • Nice. It's like Cash reincarnated.

• July 25, 2012 4:30 PM CDT
    • demon's claws

• July 25, 2012 2:54 PM CDT
    • Nothing exceeds like excess!

• July 25, 2012 7:56 AM CDT
    • The Dirty Wurds - Why / Takin My Blues Away

Him & The Others - I Mean It / She's Got Eyes That Tell Lies