Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• April 12, 2012 4:31 AM CDT
    • There aren't many really good bands that sound like the ones you mentioned...one comes to mind though...the PANDORAS:):)......anyhow, few ladies play the organ like Lana Loveland:):)!!

• April 11, 2012 11:56 PM CDT
    • John, me too rarely spend 1 buck on a 45 these days.  But today 20 of my $33 bucks was spent on The Hullabaloos "i won't turn away now" picture sleeve, knocked the antique lady down from 35.  Also got a bunch of small label releases including a pretty cool lo-fi primitive "garage?" 45 by a band called The Townsmen You left Me Crying/Friends on Albun.  I can find no mention anywhere on the net about it... I love it and hate it when that happens.  Another unknown 3rd rate garage beat found.

Also cool doo-wop Arthur Butler -Lock Stock and Barrel (one went for 80)

and this soulster... way cool.

http://youtu.be/MfnM1X-U6OU

So now I have 6 dollars to spend on Yo Yos.

• April 11, 2012 8:47 PM CDT
    • nO , WAIT , i'M OFF ON MY HEPSTER LINGO....i MEANT 40 DOLLARS....

John Battles said:

Garage Punk on Goldwax? Have Mercy ! I think I have heard this , before....It's pretty sweet. But , I'm no help. I rarely spend more than 10 , 15 $ on a 45, but IF  i WERE YOU , i'D OUTBID Ol' Hicksville Hogwash with two sawbucks. 

hicksville hogwash said:

I'd pay 33 bucks as that is all the cash I have in my pocket right now.

John - 

http://youtu.be/JnNjsr_mk64

• April 11, 2012 8:36 PM CDT
    • Garage Punk on Goldwax? Have Mercy ! I think I have heard this , before....It's pretty sweet. But , I'm no help. I rarely spend more than 10 , 15 $ on a 45, but IF  i WERE YOU , i'D OUTBID Ol' Hicksville Hogwash with two sawbucks. 

hicksville hogwash said:

I'd pay 33 bucks as that is all the cash I have in my pocket right now.

John - 

http://youtu.be/JnNjsr_mk64

• April 11, 2012 5:19 PM CDT
    • That's good!! I think almost 70 its too much , I mean its awesome and I love but it but I'll wait to find it cheaper...yeahhh

• April 11, 2012 1:51 AM CDT
    • i'M AFRAID i'M NOT FAMILIAR WITH IT , AND DON'T RECALL SEEING IT.....HOW WOULD YOU CLASSIFY THIS GROUP? iT'S NOT THE YO - YOS  WHOSE SONGS WERE USED ON THE CHOCOLATE WATCHBAND'S "INNER MYSTIQUE" , IS IT ?

• April 11, 2012 11:32 PM CDT
    • Shit-Faced Again

• April 11, 2012 8:01 PM CDT
    • "Tight Pants" by The Stooges. Granted , it's the rough draft for "Shake Appeal". It clocks in a Two minutes (Minus the fade at the end) because , like "It Should Be You" by The Rolling Stones , THE ONLY VERSION THAT APPEARS TO EXIST IS CUT OFF DURING THE GUITAR SOLO.

• April 11, 2012 7:55 PM CDT
    • Iggy (To an older , unbriefed  , Canadian TV interviewer...I don't mean he had no drawers on...But ,  in truth , I don't know if he did !) -

Dork : Tell me about Punk Rock...

Iggy : I'll tell ya about Punk Rock ! Punk Rock is a term used by diletanntes , and heartless manipulators.....about music that takes up the hearts and the souls and the time and the minds of young men who give what they have to it , and they give everything they have to it...I don't know Johnny Rotten , but , I'm sure he puts as much blood and sweat into what he does ....as Sigmund Freud did.

Dork : So , you don't like the term "Punk Rock"?

Iggy : I don't like to hear it coming out of somebody's mouth .

Dork : Fair enough. What do you like to hear it come out of ? (Both laugh).

I'm probably being rough on the other guy , but , he comes off as aware of his subject as Hans Kellar when he made an enormous ASS out of himself , interviewing The Pink Floyd.

dave said:

Interviewer: "Why are you so angry?"

Iggy Pop: "Work ethic."

• April 10, 2012 3:00 PM CDT
    • Interviewer: "Why are you so angry?"

Iggy Pop: "Work ethic."

• April 11, 2012 7:45 PM CDT
    • That's pretty funny , Ken. I thought , when I first heard "Sympathy For The Devil" , he said

"Killed THOR and his Ministers , anaesthesia screamed in vain" !

• April 11, 2012 10:55 AM CDT
    • When I was a kid, I thought the Stones sang "A Sleepy Little Town Ain't no place for Spider-Man" instead of "in sleepy London Town there's just no place for a street fighting man."

• April 11, 2012 4:33 PM CDT
    • Never. It's sad.

Oh well, there's always the internet...

• April 11, 2012 4:31 PM CDT
    • I never run into any Hideout dwellers in Tampa...  but when I go to other cities I do.  But that might just be because I am out at shows and stuff.  There are a number of folks here I met before there was a Hideout...

• April 10, 2012 12:23 PM CDT
    • seldom to never. at least we have each other. digitally.

• April 11, 2012 10:11 AM CDT
    •  LA Donna,

It's more than just creative differences. It's exploitation. He's exploited my musical talents & that of the other former bandmates for years, without our permission. His next release "Raw Heat" is the Demo tapes for the In Heat lp, recorded 25 years ago. Since Jordan owns the masters, these are from an inferior quality cassette tape. His last cd "Horny as Hell" featured a song I wrote in 89 "Blood From A Stone". He rejected that song for In Heat, & then it turned up first on "Flashbacks" without my knowledge or permission, except he changed my lyrics & gave himself writing credit. Ruining the song in my opinion. Then he ruined it even further  by adding a horn section to it on last years record. His version sounds like a high School marching band, in fact it sync's up perfectly with a video I have of a marching band from the Rose Parade! (I will you tube it as such one of these days). You can hear the song as I originally wrote it & how I have heard it in my head these past 25 years on the new Kiss Kiss Bang Bang CD. (Gone are his atrocious, male chauvanist pig lyrics) My song was based on a true story.

• April 11, 2012 5:42 AM CDT
    • John, I haven't heard from Rudi in years (since he last moved to Europe) but I believe that Randy & I knew him better than most people. I've always loved him dearly, as I have all of the wonderful people & musicians that I got to meet and become friends with because of my friendship with Rudi. In music and bands, as in all forms of relationships, there are terrible times that seem to grow out of the whole of the experiences. Creativity seems to make bigger fireworks, though. I appreciate all of you and thank you for all of the good times. That was an awesome time of my life that I was unable to appreciate fully until later years but I learned so much. I'm honored to still be considered your friend. :-)

• April 11, 2012 1:38 AM CDT
    • YOU TAKE THE "P" OUT OF BPMs , YOU'VE GOT "BMs" and "P"...THAT'S ABOUT RIGHT....ROCK 'N' ROLL IS'NT ABOUT THOSE ARTIFICAL "BEATS", ALMOST NEVER CREATED BY A DRUMMER . WE SHOULD'NT PATTERN OURSELVES AFTER "DANCE" DJs, I KNOW THEY GET RESPECT (WORSHIP!) AND MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF DOUGH , BUT THEY'RE STILL A DIME A DOZEN , WHEN THE R'N'R DJ HAS TO BUST HIS OR HER ASS TO GENERATE ANY INTEREST.  EACH TO HIS OWN , BUT WHY CAN'T PEOPLE DANCE TO ROCK 'N' ROLL? IT HAS A BEAT , THE REAL BEAT.....AT LEAST , WE'RE WILLING TO MAKE MISTAKES , AND , AS I SAY , MANY OF THEM ARE SOMEONE ELSE'S FAULT , AND WE TAKE THE FALL.....

• April 11, 2012 1:30 AM CDT
    •  If you put a medium sides coin on the stylus , you might have better luck....But , if if works (Foreign coins are usually better ) , I'd say burn a CD of it at home.

• April 11, 2012 1:27 AM CDT
    • We've all had to deal with technical flubs that are not our fault. Sometimes , people are compassionate enough about it. BUT , a lot of people feel entitled. If something goes wrong , their spoiled brat asses start in with the insults , as though they've ever done this. Once , I turned on the soundboard (It should have been on , already) , and it made a painful , deafening screech. It hurt me as much as the people , assembled , there.....However, if I'd shown up ridiculously early , I may have been able to get the bugs out of the system before the drinking crowd showed up. A couple of people got WAY out of line , I let them have it with both barrels. I felt bad about it , I apologized , but , I'm not a sound engineer, The shit should be ready to go when you get there.......

erin said:

i haven't experienced this same thing exactly, but i DO get the feeling that djs get no respect. i have been on shows here in my hometown and sometimes when it gets advertised the dj gets left off entirely. last nite i dj'ed a show and there was some sort of technical difficulty where there was a loud (very annoying!) hum because of the turntables. the sound guys didn't even try to fix it, they just shrugged and said, "you have do just put up with it." when a friend of mine with some technical know-how walked up to me and looked at the equipment, he said, "sounds like a faulty cable." he even knew which one because of which speaker the hum was coming from. none of the sound guys tried replacing any cables or even took a look at the problem enough to diagnose this rather simple problem. if it were a band having technical issues, it would have been fixed immediately, obviously. but the dj just has to deal with crap sound all nite long...it totally ruined my nite and my experience.

• April 11, 2012 1:18 AM CDT
    • i THINK YOU'VE NAILED IT. i HAVE'NT BEEN ASKED TO DJ A BIG FEST , OR ....EVEN A SMALLER ONE , BUT , IT'S ALL ABOUT PLEASING THE BANDS.....i THINK YOU HAVE TO DECIDE WHETHER IT'S WORTH THE TRAVEL AND HOTEL EXPENSES. EXPOSURE IS ALWAYS GOOD. iF YOU HAVE ANYTHING TO SELL , THEY SHOULD LET YOU.....SELLING RECORDS OUT OF YOUR HOTEL ROOM IS A FAVORITE.....BUT , EVERYONE SHOULD BE COMPENSATED FOR THEIR TROUBLE. AS IN ANY GENRE , THE WORST DJS (like , often , the worst bands.) GET THE MOST RESPECT. I KNOW YOU'VE WITNESSED THIS FIRST HAND.....

• April 10, 2012 8:08 PM CDT
    • Yes , Dieter (Sorry , maybe that's not his name.), I think , asked me for a comment , before the show . I just said , no one knows what's going to happen , but , that I had a great feeling about it , then , I said "Y2K IST monk Time !!". Shoulda been the name of the movie. Oh , well.

Jersey City Mods said:

We've been to many Cavestomps and seen most of the bands already mentioned but the one that sticks most in my mind was the Monks.  Not only was the show fabulous, but they (and their wives) were great fun to hang with at the bar.  Glad part of it was captured in the doc "Monks: The Transatlantic Feedback".

• April 10, 2012 8:04 PM CDT
    • mAN , TOUGH BREAK....i KNOW jAN sAVAGE PLAYED WITH sKY AND tHE sEEDS FOR A WHILE. I saw them twice , and it was Sky Saxon backed by The Wooly Bandits . They sounded great . Sky was in great voice in Las Vegas , 2003 . They played here a few months later , and someone offered to get sky HIGH (I won't say who , he's a friend. It just was'nt a great move , like when another friend got Arthur Lee plowed on White Russians before his show , 10 years earlier. Arthur sounded beautiful. He did half a set.) .....Sky was singing in keys not known to man !! But , it was still fun , in spite of it all. Sky Saxon was a sweetheart , man. You accepted him on his terms , or not at all....

I heard The Prunes' UK gigs were'nt very good. Now , I find that hard to believe , because they're definitely in my top five , but , even the official DVD , while good , does'nt sound as good as they did when I saw them....

But , if you're in the USA , now (And , welcome.) , you'll have more chances to see QUESTION MARK AND THE MYSTERIANS , THE GREATEST ROCK AND ROLL BAND IN THE WORLD , BAY BAY !!!!!!  Those are his words , but  , you know he ain't lyin'.

As for The Sect , They never fail ! UH HUH , EE- VUN ! FORESOOTH, FIVESOOTH , ALREADY !!                     sORRY YOU MISSED the monks . They were who they were , so they were still great.....You could'nt expect it to sound like the record. This was'nt even supposed to happen , and yet , it did. Their wives , incidentally , were all real sweethearts , too.
       hicksville hogwash said:

Saw The Seeds well more like The Warts I think they were called with Sky singing.  I love the seeds so much I did not want the dream of seeing them live ruined, it was a good dream too, anyway the chance to catch Jan Savage playing one string persuaded me to go...  unfortunately Jan Savage had quit the tour so I got Sky and The warts... now these young warts dudes were excellent... sky was well sky.

So then we went to see The Electric Prunes original line up....  well the night I went the droning wahwahwahwahwahwawawawawawaw guitar player was sick, thanks to a curry in Birmingham, uk so we got a half decent event with the rhythm guitar dude embarrassingly trying to cover for the lack of the weird pruney sounds... It was OK but not great.

The Downliners Sect were another matter 8/10 and crane played the same guitar as I owned (a framus nashville) with a few headcoats filling in for missing downers.

Missed ? & mysterions I was outside but couldn't get in...  had a courier job at the time and was going through London so detoured in hope I could use synchrinicity and just get in with no money...lol.

Also missed The Monks who played the day before I moved to uSA...  so sad about that one.

Does Bo Diddley count as reformed??  anyhow 10/10 is my grade for Bo.

• April 10, 2012 2:11 PM CDT
    • Thee favourite converter tunes, pulled straight outta thee ether, for me would be stuff like:- 

The Human Expression - Love at a Psychedelic Velocity

The Chentelles - Be My Queen

The Elite - My Confusion 

The Banshees - Project Blue

The Shandells - Gorilla

tHE Music Machine - Talk Talk.....