Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• April 5, 2012 4:26 AM CDT
    • I'm sure you are 100% correct, my only issue is with 'cut back on beer and weed for a month and you'll have enough' Dunno how many are in your band, or indeed how much money you have, but I can guarantee that my twosome would NOT have enough in one month hahaha - don't even smoke weed either :-D

Count Brockula said:

These things are just awful. They make the shittiest, worse sounding records. You're essentially making a digital record. Even from a high quality source, they sound like complete ass. There's a company here in Canada that are calling themselves a pressing plant that uses these things and are charging almost the same price as a real pressing plant. We're doing 500 7" 45s and it's less than a grand! Cut back on the beer and the weed for a month and you'll have enough to make a real record! There's a reason records are made with laquers and stampers - they sound good! These records are just abysmal. Get your records done right! I dread the day I buy a record from one of these turd squeezers.

• April 5, 2012 3:11 AM CDT
    • The Muppets is rock'n'roll enough you muppet!

• April 4, 2012 7:37 AM CDT
    • Playboy Bundies - If  you like the play on names

• April 4, 2012 6:47 AM CDT
    • Would prolly have to call it something like, the Muppits Or get sued by MMouse.

• April 4, 2012 6:45 AM CDT
    • I always wanted to be in a band called 'The muppets'

• April 4, 2012 6:30 AM CDT
    • Yeah it's supposed to be rock n roll band. I got one idea , Muddy Holly. Give me some better ideas, thanks.

• April 4, 2012 11:47 PM CDT
    • I don't believe anyone actually asked you about the new Rod Stewart album.

and yeah we all like Tom T. Hall.

swt said:

Very rarely -- especially in the garage-punk realm. I remember running into an acquaintance in a parking lot wearing a Dead Moon T-shirt. I almost hugged him.

I am a hillbilly music nut and have a local radio show for that obsession, so it's a little easier to find common ground with folks with old country stars like Willie Nelson or Roger Miller. (Just don't ask me about virtually any country act played on commercial radio since about 1980.)

I do a weekly music column at my paper (the local daily). So people cone up to me all the time and say stuff like, "You're a music fan. What do you think of the new Rod Stewart album?" My first thought is usually "You don't actually read the words in my column do you?"

On the other hand, ever so often people come up and tell me I've turned them on to some good music with my column or radio shows. That's always nice.

But more often, I'm like Mark. When someone asks me what I've been listening to and I spout off names of bands I really like, even a lot of the country bands, people look at me like I'm nuts.

• April 4, 2012 8:43 PM CDT
    • As James knows (Cheech Marin voice: Uhhhhhh....We're not TOGETHER. We was just gunna meet some girls inside ! You know , pick 'em up !) , the Northern Soul mentality killed it for reissues in that field. That only means , if you see a reissue , "A bargain at $10" or more , that you can probably pick it up , next week . However , I don't know what these younger people mean. If it's an original , hard to find , LP in very good to mint shape , $10 would be a bargain...Even reissues have averaged 8 to 10 $ on vinyl for 20 - plus years....A lot of European reissues , now are twice that , or more.... For the same reason I just saw an article bemoaning the rising costs of gas , with a photo of a gas station sign , with prices listed at $4 to $4.19 a gallon , when it's this close to $5 on the North Side of Chicago....People seem to spend more , the deeper we get into recession. You'd think one  SUV or Hummer (Whatever.) with no passengers would be but a memory , but there's always a demand for penis substitute , right ?  If those kids see a record you once bought for a dollar to 50 cents for $10 and say (Eddie Murphy voice) "Whatta bargain", it means they have more money to set on fire.....And we're old enough to remember when the economy was on the rise.

The price of CDs should have gone down centuries ago , but , we talked about that , elsewhere.....As for newfound tolerance for Disco and Modern Soul (Meaning 80's and up.) ,  what's happening to our youth ?! (Sound of tears).

• April 4, 2012 11:11 PM CDT
    • I like food- Descendents

Might have been mentioned.

• April 4, 2012 8:01 PM CDT
    • DOORS DOORS DOORS....

• April 4, 2012 7:58 PM CDT
    • wow!i had Rat as a drummer for a year -back in 2001,in London,UK...Maybe you'd dig two of my tunes on my playlist where he's beating the shit out of his set!Awesome collection,man!!!xxxx

Mike said:

The Damned followed by the Ramones. Mostly because they both have released so many damned (get it?) records and 7" sleeve variations etc etc that sucker a collector nerd like me to buy. No picture of me, but a set a photos I'd snapped for another forum. I have to give credit though to an old friend who sold me his entire Damned 7" collection back in the 80's. I knew it hurt him, but he knew it was going to a good home. That's where a good chunk of my Damned and Capt. Sensible singles came from.

• April 4, 2012 7:36 PM CDT
    • The Fall - Mark E. Smith is a genius

Billy Childish -  Gets to the primal urge of rock and roll

Jack White - The last true rock star.

Johnny Cash - The man could tell a story

• April 4, 2012 7:19 PM CDT
    • Tom Waits, Nick Cave (inc bday party boys next door etc), the Fall

• April 4, 2012 1:08 PM CDT
    • also another little hint if your just going with the can lights. do your self a favor and go to radio shack and pick up 120v power on/off button switch. or something similar that way you can kill the lights between songs/sets (we do that with the chavet too). if not they just always stay on and that kind of bugs people too. good luck dude.

• April 4, 2012 12:46 PM CDT
    • thanks scott,

couple of cans with gels sounds like it might be the way to go. the chavet would be nice if you could just get it to stop blinking completely. even every few seconds is more than i want to dick with. it might be a good idea to just experiment with two cans to see if they would do the trick. we got enough on our plates without becoming light artistes. i just get so tired of videos with 2 of the guys becoming lurking shadows. we are funny looking so people should get the full effect.

• April 4, 2012 8:49 AM CDT
    • thank you!

Bunt said:

Electronic shops sometimes sell small, three bulb lightening rigs. A friend's young brother had one. I'll look into it and get back to you. I thought the film as you could set it to cover the stage. Give me a few dayz. I'll get back to you.

• April 4, 2012 8:39 AM CDT
    • Electronic shops sometimes sell small, three bulb lightening rigs. A friend's young brother had one. I'll look into it and get back to you. I thought the film as you could set it to cover the stage. Give me a few dayz. I'll get back to you.

• April 4, 2012 8:22 AM CDT
    • that sounds cool but what we are really looking for is just plain lights so people can see us on a stage that is poorly lit. most clubs have one or 2 places on stage that are well lit. but it leaves the rest of the band in the shadows. films and effects are cool but for better or worse we want the audience to focus on US. not something in the background. but please send the link i would like to see it!

Bunt said:

I did see a band that had an old school slide projector with photographs of European grave yards. they also played a CD of a storm playing as well. We also played a show in Melbourne with The Sunday Reeds where they had a film projected over all of us. I can e-mail you a link if you like. It's on You Tube. The Sunday Reeds have pictures on their Face Book page.

• April 4, 2012 7:51 AM CDT
    • I did see a band that had an old school slide projector with photographs of European grave yards. they also played a CD of a storm playing as well. We also played a show in Melbourne with The Sunday Reeds where they had a film projected over all of us. I can e-mail you a link if you like. It's on You Tube. The Sunday Reeds have pictures on their Face Book page.

• April 4, 2012 7:13 AM CDT
    • most small clubs have pretty bad lighting. usually half the band is in the dark. is there a really cheap portable light to at least make the whole band visible? no strobes just a constant single color or white. don't want to shoot lights out into the audience. would like the singer to be visible when moving to front edge of the stage. we ain't pretty but what's the point of a live show if you are not all seen?

• April 4, 2012 11:03 AM CDT
    • Well, yeah, the deadline for the next volume. However, you can continue to submit songs for future volumes.

Thanks.

Steffan said:

Has the deadline for this passed? My band The RaptorDactyls uploaded a song last night, but i forgot to think wether the deadline is already passed!

• April 4, 2012 7:37 AM CDT
    • Has the deadline for this passed? My band The RaptorDactyls uploaded a song last night, but i forgot to think wether the deadline is already passed!