Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• April 9, 2012 9:20 AM CDT
    • The Trip!  April 8th Show!  Listen here:  http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/381-The_Trip-20120408-0030-t1333841400.mp3

Here's the setlist!

SANDY NELSON  AND THEN THERE WERE DRUMS 

13TH FLOOR ELEVATORS  SHE LIVES (IN A TIME OF HER OWN)
      THEE HEADCOATS  JUST LIKE A DOG 
      THE NEW BREED  THE WORDS RING BACK 
      PINK FLOYD  IBIZA BAR 
      LOS STRAIGHTJACKETS  TAILSPIN 
      MAN OR ASTROMAN! LIKE A GIANT MICROWAVE 
      LITTLE ANTHONY & THE IMPERIALS  SHIMMY SHIMMY KO KO BOP
      JAMES BROWN  THINK 
      EL VEZ  SAY IT LOUD (I'M BROWN AND I'M PROUD)
      THE IKETTES I'M BLUE (GONG GONG SONG)
      ANN-MARGRET  THIRTEEN MEN 
      THE GORE GORE GIRLS  I'M ALL GROWN UP 
      BOB PECK  SWEET 16 
      THE LEAGUE OF NOTIONS  THE PARK IN THE DARK 
      WEEN  SPRINGTIME 
      M. ASHRAF FEAT. NAHID AKHTAR  GOOD NEWS FOR YOU
      ELECTRIC PRUNES  AGNUS DEI 
      PATTI SMITH  EASTER 
      WALL OF VOODOO  RING OF FIRE 
      FRANCE GALL  LAISSE TOMBER LES FILLE 
      THE TEARJERKERS  HEAD OF THE CLASS CLOWNS 
      THE DICTATORS  (I LIVE FOR) CARS AND GIRLS 
      AGENT ORANGE  BITE THE HAND THAT FEEDS

• April 9, 2012 9:14 AM CDT
    • Thanks Simon.  I was able to find a copy of the CD on Ebay.  It's surprisingly still in circulation.  "Space" was the best track on the whole thing. Weird band. 

• April 9, 2012 2:54 AM CDT
    • The Blackbirds were a Belgian band & somehow managed to get an Lp out on a dodgy label in the UK called SAGA records , (to save money the vinyl was mixed with coal dust)! The album is called No Destination & has a bored looking girl sitting on a battered suitcase with a smashed windows passenger train behind ! Space is the best track on the Lp & was also put out as the B side to No Destination 7"

Hope this helps, cat no; FID2113

• April 9, 2012 8:42 AM CDT
    • I like the phrase "Snow White Trash"....but then I live in Idaho...go figure...

John Battles said:

HA HA HAAAAA!!! I remember someone trying to tell me that !

I thought "Ziggy Stardust" originally said "He could lick c*m by smiling , he could lead them to Hell. He came on so "Loaded" man , well - hung , snow White Trash."

AND - "JIVING US THAT WE WERE VOODOO , THE KIDS WERE JUST CRAP.". 

And that "Hang on To Yourself" went " If you like  f***ots and Vaseline".

Sometimes , the words were just too close together. There's a Romeo Void song that went "Get that jerk off your mind"   But , it sounded like "Get that JERKOFF , you're mine.". BUT THAT HAD TO BE INTENTIONAL.

But.....Two songs that would have been branded as Politically Incorrect for eternity , if everybody heard them the way I first did (And , trust me , I was shocked , at the time .)

"Sometimes Good Guys Don't Wear White" Standells   (The Bishops had a Politically Incorrect version.) .

"In The Middle of The Night " Madness .

• April 9, 2012 8:41 AM CDT
    • YES!

zacharythax said:

Is anyone out there old enough to remember Eddie Money on early '80's top 40 FM singing:

"I think I'm in love / and my nuts are numb / I think I'm in love / 'cuz I can't get it up."?

• April 9, 2012 5:47 AM CDT
    • Is anyone out there old enough to remember Eddie Money on early '80's top 40 FM singing:

"I think I'm in love / and my nuts are numb / I think I'm in love / 'cuz I can't get it up."?

• April 8, 2012 8:06 PM CDT
    • HA HA HAAAAA!!! I remember someone trying to tell me that !

I thought "Ziggy Stardust" originally said "He could lick c*m by smiling , he could lead them to Hell. He came on so "Loaded" man , well - hung , snow White Trash."

AND - "JIVING US THAT WE WERE VOODOO , THE KIDS WERE JUST CRAP.". 

And that "Hang on To Yourself" went " If you like  f***ots and Vaseline".

Sometimes , the words were just too close together. There's a Romeo Void song that went "Get that jerk off your mind"   But , it sounded like "Get that JERKOFF , you're mine.". BUT THAT HAD TO BE INTENTIONAL.

But.....Two songs that would have been branded as Politically Incorrect for eternity , if everybody heard them the way I first did (And , trust me , I was shocked , at the time .)

"Sometimes Good Guys Don't Wear White" Standells   (The Bishops had a Politically Incorrect version.) .

"In The Middle of The Night " Madness .

• April 9, 2012 8:25 AM CDT
    • No chance in hell of this happening, but my first awesome daydream of the morning is to somehow get David Attenborough to do this.  Second place, Herzog.  I can only imagine how absolutely ridiculous either of those films would be.  But seriously, there's always Ken Burns...

• April 9, 2012 7:51 AM CDT
    • Well, to be done right, it would have to be enormously comprehensive. With thousands of garage bands sprouting up all over the world from '65 thru '67, it would be quite a task. The best way to go about it would be to do a series of documentaries and focus on regional scenes, such as Texas, the Pacific Northwest, Michigan, Australia, etc. Sort of like how the later volumes of the Pebbles comps were focused.

• April 9, 2012 5:58 AM CDT

• Maybe Martin Scorsese would be interested.

KF

Simon Taylor said:

Phew what a task! What about getting intouch with Vernon Joynson, the guy that put together the Fuzz Acid & Flowers book? He may well know a lot of Garage type dudes...

just a thought

• April 9, 2012 4:48 AM CDT
    • Phew what a task! What about getting intouch with Vernon Joynson, the guy that put together the Fuzz Acid & Flowers book? He may well know a lot of Garage type dudes...

just a thought

• April 8, 2012 11:27 PM CDT
    • I am just curious as to why no one has undertaken the task of archiving and documenting this grossly overlooked and significant part of Rock n' Roll history.  I have been collecting music from this scene from all kinds of compilations (Pebbles,BFTG, Teenage Shutdown, Highs in the mid-sixties, Quagmire, Gravel, etc.), and even though there is a sizable amount of mediocrity due to the compiler's need to use substandard filler material to extend these series for monetary gain, a significant amount of the material within these collections are surprisingly fresh in their originality despite the only availability of crude audio sources and recording technologies of the time. I also have been surprised to see video of some of these obscure bands on You Tube which I think could be used in such a project. I think they could also hunt down some of the members of these bands for interviews and give them the opportunity for exposure and royalties from the project.

The only reasons that I can think of why this has not happened, is royalties, legalities, public domain issues, civil agreement among all contributors, niche market due to non exposure, and just the amount of money, time, research etc....  But I do think it's a shame that the general public only know "one side" of sixties rock, and the other hundreds of regional rock bands have no exposure, due to the fact they had to compete with the HUGE successes of the Beatles, Stones, Who, Doors, Kinks, Hendrix etc... and had to undergo maybe some marketing censorship in some cases. One can only imagine how interesting and enlightening a comprehensive documentary paying tribute to those regional garage bands that had a unique talent, but didn't have the right managers, promoters, record deals or timing to make it big at that time, could be.

I think we could only hope that one entrepreneur with the right vision and financial backing, support, industry connections and attention to detail, could pull this off in our lifetime!

One last thing... I did buy one documentary on garage rock but it was sort of cheaply made, and had almost no performance footage and just glossed over the topic by focusing on a few bands.

• April 9, 2012 7:28 AM CDT
    • Now that is an amazingly good tough song you can smell the coal dust in the grooves, thank you Simon.

Simon Taylor said:

Check out "Peter Nelson & The Castaways-Down in The Mine" it's on Diggin Up Down Under comp....proper Aussie garage rocker

Or it's not exactly about mining "It's A Hard Life-The Seeds" kind of blue collar thing ?

• April 9, 2012 2:12 AM CDT
    • Check out "Peter Nelson & The Castaways-Down in The Mine" it's on Diggin Up Down Under comp....proper Aussie garage rocker

Or it's not exactly about mining "It's A Hard Life-The Seeds" kind of blue collar thing ?

• April 9, 2012 6:02 AM CDT
    • If he thinks he's the only garage revival band has he never heard of the Hangmen whose 1989 album was a lot better than the disappointing "In Heat." Still I love the Fuzztones' music and their whole schtick. It's too bad Rudi Protrudi has the personality of Glenn Danzig.

• April 9, 2012 4:47 AM CDT
    • Hey we are a Dutch surf band called the Phantom Four (old members of Treble Spankers) and we just did release a surf punk album with vocals. Just let us know what you guys think. Record gets great reviews in Holland but we would like to know what people outside Holland think. You can check out the songs on our profile. Btw we love Agent Orange and played with them in the past!

• April 9, 2012 2:35 AM CDT
    • Not to forget the 5 Gravel CDs...not as great as the a teenage shutdowns, but far better than any pebbles!

• April 8, 2012 9:04 PM CDT
    • OK, I'm confused. You posted this topic in the '50s/'60s group, but are you looking for '60s bands or are you looking for more modern bands that play in that style? If you're looking for modern bands, there are thousands like that (what you're describing is simply the garage style of rock'n'roll with lotsa fuzz guitar/distortion, Vox or Farfisa organs, and primitive production). Try listening to our podcasts... that'd be a good place to start.

• April 8, 2012 8:27 PM CDT
    • Maybe 1313 Mockingbird Lane , The Worst , Fortune and Maltese , Royal Nonesuch , The Brood , Gruesomes , Tell - Tale Hearts , Cynics , (Early) Pandoras , Ugly Beats , Untamed Youth , as far as Reagan Administration and after goes . But , I've heard virtually NO ONE that sounded remotely like Link Wray , The Sonics , The Cramps , nor even The Count V.

You can't buy that sound. Bands should listen to past masters for inspiration , then go out and find their own thing. 

• April 8, 2012 2:58 PM CDT
    • Start with Pebbles Vol. 5 for the old school comps that match what you're seeking.  If you are looking for current bands we suggest the Chesterfield Kings, the Woggles or Mondo Topless (their song "Panty Sniffer" meets all 3 of your criteria). 

Mondo Topless "Panty Sniffer" live

• April 8, 2012 1:58 PM CDT
    • Try Early Zombina and The Skeletines, or the Love-Me-Nots for present day kicks like this.

there will be more... but I'm all Eastered out...

• April 8, 2012 5:32 PM CDT

• Old School Hero said:

I agree with you. My only problem with the Beatles is how they rob attention from all the other great mainstream acts of the time. Young people looking into 60's music will unfortunately stop with The Beatles and forget about looking into The Animals or The Yardbirds for example.

Very True, unfortunately even the non mainstream acts! 60s Alternative/Garage Rock has had NO comprehensive representation or RECOGNITION for that matter. It's appallingly pathetic! The Rockn' Roll Hall of fame in Cleavland is big DISGRACE for not doing something about this injustice, just like the Grammy's, an infantile and idiotic popularity contest to boost sales of talentless acts!

• April 8, 2012 1:27 PM CDT
    • Great introduction Bobby ;-)

Bobby said:

Bobby

35, Living in Pittsburgh, Pa (USA) 

listened to metal until I was @12 or 13 when a friend turned me on to the Misfits, Agnostic Front, 7 Seconds etc... It was all downhill from there... 

The Cramps really turned me to a life of sin at a young age... I have lived for booze, drugs (gave these up because of the junkies I had to spend time with), sin, & rock & roll ever since... 

Got married in Jamaica to a super hot punk girl, too much of living the life led to several minor arrests, her putting guns in my face on a regular basis, getting held hostage by a local crazy, etc...

After a nervous breakdown (I noticed somebody else mentioned this happening also) I'm back on the mend these days.  I lost a 20 year record collection, all my guitars & clothes... Recently got a new turntable, started my record collection over (it sucked losing it, but it really is fun starting a better one.)

Started school to become a machinist last week & it's great, been writing songs again & waiting to see what state/city I land in next to start a new rock & roll band.

As far as my music taste these days, anything on Voodoo Rhythm, everything I heard from Burger Records, everything I have heard from Douchemaster Records, Get Hip, Velocity of Sound... Big Nobunny fan, big Spits fan, really into punk, oi, old rock & roll, r&B, doowop, Mark Sultan, 60's garage & psyche (off the top of my head.)

Probably way too much info, but I blame that on the medication & the booze...

Cheers kiddies!