Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• March 26, 2012 3:32 PM CDT
    • IT's a GO! theme show today on the Wrekking Hours.

Tune in 4-5pm for Rockabilly songs titled w/ GO

In the Psychobilly hour it's GET! theme - so tune in for neo-rockabilly & psycho songs titled w/ Get!

Today only on WHFR radio in Detroit!!  89.3fm or online via TuneIn Radio or whfr.fm

• March 26, 2012 3:20 PM CDT
    • Auto Focus was awesome and so weird to look at him that way now...but of course his cast and crew members on Hogan's Heroes would probably just say "I know No-ssing" about all of his extracurricular activities...

I will give a listen to Prima Donna, thanks for the heads up!

MikeL said:

LOL!  Tell me about it:)  Did you ever see a movie called "Auto Focus"?  It was a biopic about Bob Crane, who played Col. Hogan on "Hogan's Heroes."  He had a rather dark side as well, and it makes me see him in a whole new light whenever I watch reruns of that show.

caryn lavender said:

The song Do You Want To Touch/Oh Yeah has a whole different meaning to me now....

MikeL said:

Hey, you can't help but to like Gary Glitter's music...just try not to dwell too much on him being a pedophile;)

caryn lavender said:

Pass it on, no one should be without the joy of the Butt Rock classification...and don't forget the great Butt Rock bands Ratt, Motley Crue, Slayer and early Butt Rock Hall of Famer Billy Squire...Okay I'll shut up now, I am sure I have offended enough people.

By the way my personal faves are Sweet, Slade, Bowie, Mott The Hoople and I have huge amounts of T-Rex...and yes...even though Gary Glitter is a hugely creepy perv, I still like his music...

trashman said:

haaaaa.  Next time I see my friend I will mention Butt Rock.  love it.

caryn lavender said:

Okay...IMHO...Van Halen = Butt Rock...Poison = Butt Rock...bands with the hair and the spandex and lots of mild rock with chicks crawling on cars in their videos...the song Cherry Pie...all of that to me = Butt Rock...just saying

• March 26, 2012 3:15 PM CDT
    • LOL!  Tell me about it:)  Did you ever see a movie called "Auto Focus"?  It was a biopic about Bob Crane, who played Col. Hogan on "Hogan's Heroes."  He had a rather dark side as well, and it makes me see him in a whole new light whenever I watch reruns of that show.

caryn lavender said:

The song Do You Want To Touch/Oh Yeah has a whole different meaning to me now....

MikeL said:

Hey, you can't help but to like Gary Glitter's music...just try not to dwell too much on him being a pedophile;)

caryn lavender said:

Pass it on, no one should be without the joy of the Butt Rock classification...and don't forget the great Butt Rock bands Ratt, Motley Crue, Slayer and early Butt Rock Hall of Famer Billy Squire...Okay I'll shut up now, I am sure I have offended enough people.

By the way my personal faves are Sweet, Slade, Bowie, Mott The Hoople and I have huge amounts of T-Rex...and yes...even though Gary Glitter is a hugely creepy perv, I still like his music...

trashman said:

caryn lavender said:

Okay...IMHO...Van Halen = Butt Rock...Poison = Butt Rock...bands with the hair and the spandex and lots of mild rock with chicks crawling on cars in their videos...the song Cherry Pie...all of that to me = Butt Rock...just saying

• March 26, 2012 3:12 PM CDT
    • The song Do You Want To Touch/Oh Yeah has a whole different meaning to me now....

MikeL said:

caryn lavender said:

trashman said:

caryn lavender said:

• March 26, 2012 3:08 PM CDT
    • Hey, you can't help but to like Gary Glitter's music...just try not to dwell too much on him being a pedophile;)

caryn lavender said:

trashman said:

caryn lavender said:

• March 26, 2012 3:06 PM CDT
    • Pass it on, no one should be without the joy of the Butt Rock classification...and don't forget the great Butt Rock bands Ratt, Motley Crue, Slayer and early Butt Rock Hall of Famer Billy Squire...Okay I'll shut up now, I am sure I have offended enough people.

trashman said:

caryn lavender said:

• March 26, 2012 2:19 PM CDT
    • I'll tell him you liked him at least;)

Ivan Andreini said:

the keyboard player was good;

• March 26, 2012 2:14 PM CDT
    • the keyboard player was good;

• March 26, 2012 2:00 PM CDT
    • Saw Prima Donna in Brussels two weeks ago, good sound, warm and clear, good energy but very average songs besides one or two plus the singer must have watched Billy Idol's videos during kindergarten and prepuberty, smelled like Sunset spirit a bit too much to my tastes ; Try the Mansfields (from the USA) if you like better songs and attitude; I saw Slade 30 years ago and it was full/on rocknroll from begin to end; Coz I love you; Ivan Holder

• March 26, 2012 1:08 PM CDT
    • haaaaa.  Next time I see my friend I will mention Butt Rock.  love it.

caryn lavender said:

• March 26, 2012 1:00 PM CDT
    • Okay...IMHO...Van Halen = Butt Rock...Poison = Butt Rock...bands with the hair and the spandex and lots of mild rock with chicks crawling on cars in their videos...the song Cherry Pie...all of that to me = Butt Rock...just saying

• March 26, 2012 12:50 PM CDT
    • Not at all IMHO.  I'd say hard rock.

• March 26, 2012 12:46 PM CDT
    • to throw a kink into the discussion.  A friend and I were trying to pigeon hole Van Halen into a genre - they are not heavy metal, not really a hair band, and he said how about Glam rock and it seemed to work.  Never thought of it that way before.

I just read this thread for the first time and MikeL's orginal post brought up "not the 80's metal bands" so it made me smile after the discussion I just wrote about.  

So what say thee - Van Halen - Glam band?  maybe new world Glam?

• March 26, 2012 10:31 AM CDT
    • I'm surprised this thread still gets replies every now and then.

BTW, I'm off to Cleveland tomorrow to see Prima Donna at a venue called Now That's Class.

• March 26, 2012 2:07 PM CDT
    • thanks ya'll. i'm going to take what you've shared and get to it. :)

• March 26, 2012 9:26 AM CDT
    • Just keep going...it took me forever...but I got there in the end. All the advice so far is good advice. Practice, practice, practice...spend the time on your own perfecting it..and keep it simple.

• March 26, 2012 8:45 AM CDT
    • Don't make it a bigger deal than it already is. First, you will notice that you can feel the vibrations of the guitar in your body, which should help you vocalize a bit. Now start making noise with your mouth, along with every strum or note. Try to match what you are playing on the guitar for now. Practice every day and your ability to do both will rapidly improve.

• March 26, 2012 1:06 PM CDT
    • When I saw this on the list it certainly reminded me - I listen to that album so much, in pieces.  You can scare someone playing that album and I will put another vote in.  Imagine a stranger coming to your door with Demolicon or Alcatraz blasting on your speakers.  I am a sucker for garage coming from Peru.  Los Shains are another - love that Anthology.
      Renato Carvalho said:

I would have to say Los Saicos' Wildteen Punk From Peru.  It is consistently great from start to finish and their some truly amazing musical and primitive feeling moments in it, especially with the final song "El Entierro Dos Los Gatos."

• March 26, 2012 12:03 PM CDT
    • I would have to say Los Saicos' Wildteen Punk From Peru.  It is consistently great from start to finish and their some truly amazing musical and primitive feeling moments in it, especially with the final song "El Entierro Dos Los Gatos."

• March 26, 2012 11:30 AM CDT
    • And the cover to that Sam the Sham is a scream, too!

If modern-day garage counts (and evidently it does):
      I Know You Fine, But How You Doin' - Gories
      Blue Dirge - Beguiled
      Dear Independence - Blue Van
      Live For Buzz - Swingin' Neckbreakers

More sixties gold:
      The Remains
      I See The Light - Five Americans
      Midnight Ride With Paul Revere & the Raiders

• March 26, 2012 12:23 PM CDT
    • Barry, I agree!!!

You may dig my album too 'The Problem With Me'... it's good!

• March 26, 2012 10:18 AM CDT
    • Anything on State Records...especially The Offhooks - Outside Looking In (no vested interest at all!).

• March 26, 2012 9:08 AM CDT
    • 90's: Spaceshits-Winter Dance Party, Metros-S/T, Problematics-TheKidsAllSuck, Loli & The Chones- Total Fucking Genocide

00's: The Reds-s/t, Boys Club-S/t, Heartattacks-Here Come The (the Swedish band, not the Atlanta one), Fe Fi Fo Fums- Shake All Night

11's: OBN III's- The One and Only

• March 26, 2012 12:02 PM CDT
    • That all makes sense.  The compilations are more than fair enough compensation for waiting for the next podcast.    

• March 26, 2012 10:06 AM CDT
    • John..I saw you in the Fu**tones in Glasgow many moons ago...good rockin' gig that night. Played with the 'tones in 91 in Edinburgh at the venue - by this time Chris Harlock was on bass and Phil Arriagada on guitar. 'Twas a great gig, but my memories are kind of spoiled by the fact that Mr P kept trying to trade his pussy paisley tele (or strat) for my '63 English baby blue Phantom (rarer than rocking horse shit BTW, 'tho I didn't know it at the time) and he kept hitting on my girl...so yeah, he's a big headed c**t

Baz