Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• March 23, 2012 4:01 AM CDT
    • hi, i just got an old Sony reel to reel. i want to record with it but i need some tape. Anyone know of a place online that sells tape that isn't too costly?

Thanks, Cory

• March 22, 2012 9:02 PM CDT
    • Take a look at some of the humbucker sized P-90 pickups, you'll get a much brighter sound, same fit as a humbucker. SGs with P-90s are fabulous!

Seymour Duncan

Jason Lollar P-92 ($$$$ but great)

• March 22, 2012 5:41 PM CDT
    •  You might also try changing the values of the pots (but keep the old ones in case you ever want to change it back...).

But 7JDH14 is right, the SG wont sound like the GL, but it might sound pretty nice!

• March 22, 2012 3:39 PM CDT
    • Swapping the pickups will change the tone, but it's not gonna make your SG sound like a Legacy. There's a lot more to the Legacy tone than just the pickups.

• March 22, 2012 10:06 AM CDT
    • There are humbuckers pick ups, that are splittable to single coil, so you could have both sound on same guitar or blend 'em, and don't need to change them both. For example Seymour Duncan distorsion, try it in bridge position.

• March 22, 2012 9:45 AM CDT
    • Does this make any sense to you?. I got a beautiful Gibson SG Standard which I don't wanna sell away. The only problem is a don't like the sound of the guitar as well as my G&L Legacy(fender strat). Than I got this idea, to buy fender pickups and put them into the gibson. Or do you know about some nice bright sounding pickups who will work aswell as fender pickups? Please share your information! 

• March 22, 2012 7:02 PM CDT
    • I'm beginning to think it might be a local Rochester band that pre-dated my move here in 1990.  Thanks to all of you for trying!

• March 22, 2012 2:35 PM CDT
    • Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking...

John Battles said:

No idea....Sounds like an early to mid -80's Post Punk thing (And , by that , I mean stuff like The Minutemen as well as experimental bands from London that only 50 people ever heard until recently....). Maybe not. The singer does'nt sound familiar. Somebody else might recognize it , tho'.

• March 22, 2012 1:48 PM CDT
    • No idea....Sounds like an early to mid -80's Post Punk thing (And , by that , I mean stuff like The Minutemen as well as experimental bands from London that only 50 people ever heard until recently....). Maybe not. The singer does'nt sound familiar. Somebody else might recognize it , tho'.

• March 21, 2012 8:04 PM CDT
    • Sorry Kopper.  Newbie mistake.  Here is the song:

• March 21, 2012 7:38 PM CDT
    • You do realize you can simply attach the MP3 to your discussion post, right? Just use the "Upload Files" link. No need to make everyone download it from Mediafire...

• March 22, 2012 5:50 PM CDT
    • definitely wish i had the Big Beat UK Trash stuff, the Gories, the Gruesomes, anything Billy Childish, Cramps (Gravest Hits & any live recordings), Gun Club, Gravedigger V, Mummies & the 1st Meteors album.

• March 22, 2012 2:20 PM CDT
    • J'etaime Le Pere Bloodshot Bill , and , Hell , he does'nt even live here !

I'm out of the loop. The weather's been shitty (Tho , mild for a Chicago winter , I grant you.) , and The CTA  is slower than ever....I recently saw Tutu and The Pirates and The Mentally Ill do a bill together. Everyone came to see Tutu (Popular late 70's  comical Punk Band) , but  , while they were GOOD , just predictable , I thought The Mentally Ill blew them off the stage (Figuratively.) . Mentally Ill were based in Deerfield , Ill. , released two singles ("Gacy's Place " being their calling card.) , and did their very first gig almost 30 years after forming (The C*nts , arguably  Chicago's first Garage revisionist group , kept a comparably low profile for years , as well.)....

• March 22, 2012 2:03 PM CDT
    • Quite honestly, I've had a bad sinus headache all day long, and I didn't sleep too well last night, so death is looking pretty good right now.

Time For Tiffin said:

A tad harsh to wish someone dead cause they don't share your love for some bloke ain't it?

Feathered Apple Records said:

You better drop it anyways, because you don't even seem to be capeable to spell my pal's name correctly, and because you've already spoiled it anyways! It makes no sense to clean wash afterwards, better drop dead!

• March 22, 2012 10:31 AM CDT
    • A tad harsh to wish someone dead cause they don't share your love for some bloke ain't it?

You better drop it anyways, because you don't even seem to be capeable to spell my pal's name correctly, and because you've already spoiled it anyways! It makes no sense to clean wash afterwards, better drop dead!

• March 22, 2012 9:17 AM CDT
    • That's what I call a good sport!

MikeL said:

Hey, I'm cool with it, and I can understand his position. I've been in the same position myself when it comes to Little Steven, so now I'm getting a taste of my own medicine;)

Gringo Starr said:

Ha ha ha! Easy does it guys! No need to fly off the handle. Right?

• March 22, 2012 9:06 AM CDT
    • Hey, I'm cool with it, and I can understand his position. I've been in the same position myself when it comes to Little Steven, so now I'm getting a taste of my own medicine;)

Gringo Starr said:

Ha ha ha! Easy does it guys! No need to fly off the handle. Right?

• March 22, 2012 9:02 AM CDT
    • Ha ha ha! Easy does it guys! No need to fly off the handle. Right?

• March 22, 2012 9:01 AM CDT
    • You're the one who brought it up, and I'm just responding. I was actually hoping you were going to shed some light on this issue, and that is why I read your post. BTW, I sometimes spell Prevost's name with two "g's" because I get him and Kostelich confused. As for dropping dead, that's going to happen sooner or later anyway. Feel free to giggle if you happen to read my obit.

• March 22, 2012 8:35 AM CDT
    • All I did was repeat something that someone else told me, and a few other people have told me similar stories. I'll admit that I've never met Gregg Prevost, and maybe he can be a nice guy, and I'm glad he's been so nice to you. I'm just going with my gut instinct based on what I've seen of him, and yes, I may be wrong. As for Kostelich, don't take it so hard. He has vendettas with a lot of people. And I do hope you noticed that I gave the CKs their due, that they are a great garage band.

How could you ever write such a total bullshit?? The Chesterfiield Kings were offstage even cooler than they were on stage!

Greg Prevost has always been one of the very BEST and by far coolest buddies for years and years, and years! I've first got in touch with Greg by mail after the first C.Kings LP came out in ca. 1983, because I've liked his band and fanzine. He undoubtably has got one heck of a great knowledge about 60s bands (more than possibly anybody else on this forum has got!), and is close pals to many,many other bands/musicians!

By the instant I've got his first letter back, I was realizing from the spot what a great pal he really is! He was always acting like the best old friend to me, I think. Even today I would still say that Greg has always been like the best of all pal's!, anytime!

I've even got signed copies of the Kings "Stop!" and "Let's Go Get Stoned" LP as present from Greg without even asking! He has sent them in as a surprise! What a fantastic pal he really is! Something that I have never received from any other band, and I've used to work with a couple of bands during the 80s and 90s already!

I've also met the Chesterfield Kings a couple of time in person too, before/after some gigs in Germany, and France. They've always been super cool, and most friendly!

I'm sure that they have more friends than like the cynics, this is especially now after people on this sometimes lousy and not very garage forum have heard about how Gregg Koestlich of The Cynics and Get Hip Records thinks about other bands like The C.Kings..

Bon appetit!

The Chesterfield Kings were the first and also the best band to play in the authentic 1966 garage style! 'nuff said!

MikeL said:

Yes, I've heard stories from a former drummer of the Cynics that the CKs can be real assholes, especially Gregg Prevost, but it doesn't change the fact that they made some great music.

• March 22, 2012 9:42 AM CDT
    • Alright man!

Thanks for the fotos & reports and all. Hope you get better soon and swing out of the hospital as soon as you can.

swt said:

I've been out of commission since I got back from SXSW (Had hip replacement surgery on Tuesday. Still in the hospital. Sucks getting old!)

But here's my daily blogs from the festival CLICK HERE  My photographic evidence is HERE. 

Among the garagepunk types I saw: The Gories, Kid Congo Powers, Thee Oh Sees, The Spitz, The Hickoids, Glambilly, The Grannies ... 

Kid Congo Powers

• March 22, 2012 9:28 AM CDT
    • I've been out of commission since I got back from SXSW (Had hip replacement surgery on Tuesday. Still in the hospital. Sucks getting old!)

But here's my daily blogs from the festival CLICK HERE  My photographic evidence is HERE. 

Among the garagepunk types I saw: The Gories, Kid Congo Powers, Thee Oh Sees, The Spitz, The Hickoids, Glambilly, The Grannies ... 

Kid Congo Powers

• March 21, 2012 11:45 PM CDT
    • I agree! They probably made this video after painting in an unventilated room. I wonder if anyone has the heart to tell them they're not cool?

• March 21, 2012 11:26 PM CDT
    • No kind of big deal.

No Carnegie Steel.

Actually, an awesome collection. Brings back good memories.

The Damned followed by the Ramones. Mostly because they both have released so many damned (get it?) records and 7" sleeve variations etc etc that sucker a collector nerd like me to buy. No picture of me, but a set a photos I'd snapped for another forum. I have to give credit though to an old friend who sold me his entire Damned 7" collection back in the 80's. I knew it hurt him, but he knew it was going to a good home. That's where a good chunk of my Damned and Capt. Sensible singles came from.