Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• February 23, 2012 1:39 PM CST
    • oblivians = rock n roll  

hallelujah

• February 23, 2012 1:32 PM CST
    • We'll probably never stop finding new outrageous songs, but for now, I think about: Rolling Stones' ''Star star'', Kim Fowley's ''Animal Man'', ''My Girlfriend is a Rock'' by The Nervebreakers, Dead Boys' ''Caught with the Meat in your Mouth'' and a fuckload of Guizmos' songs.

• February 23, 2012 1:14 PM CST
    • Cool :)

• February 23, 2012 1:05 PM CST
    • Love that Customs LP. Played it a lot on my old radio show. Very underrated band, IMHO.

Also, probably would've been better to post about this in the Destroy All Music group (the one for '70s/'80s music). Just sayin'. ;)

• February 23, 2012 12:52 PM CST
    • Yes, kick out da jams, man:(:(....RIP and "either you're the problem or you're the solution":):):):)

• February 23, 2012 12:43 PM CST
    • Dunno if it's unreleased actually, but it IS super cool :):)

Dead Boy said:

Destroy All Monsters - Spider (1985) 

The uploader says that it's one of many unreleased songs from the bands early 1980s period.

It's cool!!!

• February 23, 2012 11:14 AM CST
    • That's very true Pygmies....that could be the whole start of another discussion on this group.

I met Rudi once, and he came off as a really nice guy. I dig his music and have nothing against him or any of The Fuzztones.

The Pygmies said:

I still like the fuzztones, even though the singer does sound like a bit of an ass. But if I quit listening to every band that acted like dicks, I'd have a pretty small record collection.

• February 23, 2012 10:49 AM CST
    • Yeah -- this will get me shot, but I am so over the heavily tatted look. And I have some tats. I mean -- do what you like, but in 2012, its not exactly a rebellion thing, is it?

Dalevis said:

Isn't rock and roll and especially garage/punk rock all about "posing?" Isn't it more about standing in front of the mirror with a tennis racket for a guitar and deciding to be a rock star as opposed to sitting at the end of your bed practicing scales? Wasn't that whole British invasion thing as much about the look as it was the sound?  Isn't choosing not to wear stage gear a contrived "image?"  It’s all been done.  Image. Anti-image.  I’ll take the image please. Trust me. In a noisy club with crappy sound, your music doesn’t do the talking for you like you think.

After all, do we do this to blend in or do we do this to stand out? Being tatted up with a Mohawk is every bit as mainstream now as Pat Boone was in 1959. My band Thee Mighty Shake Spears played the punk rock club the other night. All the tribes were present.  All the countercultures represented. We walked in to the place in drainpipe trousers and Chelsea boots with coats and skinny ties and people were like what the…? We were every bit as confrontational dressed that way in that environment as the punks were in 1977 London. I’d rather walk in the room and have somebody say that dude is in the band as opposed to having them wonder whether or not I’m just there tuning the guitar for the actual band.

• February 23, 2012 10:42 AM CST
    • I love it. <('*)<

I used to dress up a lot. Hell -- I made my own see-thru plastic mini-skirt and my GF fashioned a crushed black velvet / blood red satin Dracula cape with a 6" cowl, but that was years ago. These days? I'm a little "thicker," and have a lot less hair. Not a lot, but enough where I don't want to see me in a skirt. My current project hasn't played a live show to be honest. We just swap garageband files like a couple of luddites who just discovered the ON button. It's been super fun to just explore songwriting, but I miss the hell out of tearin' it up in front of a studio audience. So that is next for us, I think; the "live thing."

Personally I am angling' for tailored red and blue suits with top hats, and bright yellow ties.

Doug Dickerson said:

Our theme for "Northside Garage" is Garage - work shirts with names and hats. The upside is I never have to think about what to wear. Guess that's a little lazy too ;)

• February 23, 2012 10:02 AM CST
    • hi, just found the site yesterday, really cool place.

I play dirty stripped down garage rock from london.

have a listen if you like

http://youtu.be/QBR-U9RlaLs

http://www.facebook.com/lookoutkinglemon

really into bands like ty segall, thee oh sees king khan black lips etc

although i thinking of starting a campaign stopping bands from coming up with names that begin with the word black. it is so over used - black lips, black angels, black flag, black rebel motorcycle club, black manila, black keys,

if anyone has any others please add. i wanna try and find out how many original rock bands there are out there with 50% of the same name

cheers

• February 23, 2012 6:59 AM CST
    • Hey Dave,

Love the comics you mentioned! The souds and flicks too... but that, goes without saying ;)

dave said:

Hi gang, I'm Dave, 47, and I live in Portland, Oregon.

I love loud, rude music of all kinds- R&B, Rockabilly, 60s Punk, Freakbeat, Aussie punk, etc.,

as well as smoother stuff like soul, ska/rocksteady, triphop, and more... What I'm guessing most of y'all like, too.

Love indie comics like the Hernandez Bros. Love and Rockets, Peter Bagge's Hate, Roberta Gregory's Naughty Bits...

Dark and quirky movies like The Loved One, Ghost World, Quadrophenia...

I don't see shows anymore, but love finding new music and like-minded souls here,

Cheers to you all, Dave

• February 23, 2012 3:26 AM CST
    • The Loved One! You're talking about the B&W late '60s movie with the great Jonathan Winters, Rod Steiger right? One of my favorites too.

"Mama's little Joyboy has piggy piggy, Mamma's little Joyboy has piggy for mom ..."

dave said:

Hi gang, I'm Dave, 47, and I live in Portland, Oregon.

I love loud, rude music of all kinds- R&B, Rockabilly, 60s Punk, Freakbeat, Aussie punk, etc.,

as well as smoother stuff like soul, ska/rocksteady, triphop, and more... What I'm guessing most of y'all like, too.

Love indie comics like the Hernandez Bros. Love and Rockets, Peter Bagge's Hate, Roberta Gregory's Naughty Bits...

Dark and quirky movies like The Loved One, Ghost World, Quadrophenia...

I don't see shows anymore, but love finding new music and like-minded souls here,

Cheers to you all, Dave

• February 23, 2012 9:35 AM CST
    • Hmm, I don't know.  I haven't heard the other versions, and the Grunnen Rocks site doesn't describe, too.  Ah, also I'm not (so?) familiar with 60's hot rod and 50's R 'n' R tunes.

• February 23, 2012 7:24 AM CST

• Dead Boy said:

Hi.

"Your Love" is a cover version of the Troggs, but I can't find the tab now.

http://youtu.be/U4ymlAUfy6E

I think minor chord isn't used in it.

The chords are:

GFA#G

A#

CBbD#C

D#

GCG (single tone DF) G  (single tone DF)

GCG BbGBbGGD...

Can you understand? :/

Im gonna try it thanks so much for help us man do you buy chance know any  mummies songs I know most of em are covers  but I really dig red cobra #9 and Wild mutha too if you wouldnt mind shedin some light there too!

• February 23, 2012 6:28 AM CST
    • Hi.

"Your Love" is a cover version of the Troggs, but I can't find the tab now.

http://youtu.be/U4ymlAUfy6E

I think minor chord isn't used in it.

The chords are:

GFA#G

A#

CBbD#C

D#

GCG (single tone DF) G  (single tone DF)

GCG BbGBbGGD...

Can you understand? :/

• February 23, 2012 8:43 AM CST
    • Hello friends ,

a few words to tell you that the new show is on line .....

E.

• February 23, 2012 7:00 AM CST
    • Kaos - Alcoholiday

• February 22, 2012 10:53 PM CST
    • Picked up a copy of Dr. Feelgood's "Malpractice" LP this past weekend not bad, but the only other LP I have is "Down By The Jetty" which I like much better. It got me thinking of what I'm missing when it comes to the pre-punk pub rock scene. I know the basics like Eddie & The Hot Rods, 101er's, Pirates, Kilburn & The High Roads and maybe a few others, but what lesser known bands/releases should I be looking for. Not stuff on Chiswick, etc, but the forgotten or under appreciated stuff on one off labels that rock.

• February 22, 2012 10:36 PM CST
    • Try one of these, serious, it's ridiculously flexible.

• February 22, 2012 9:24 PM CST
    • John Lydon (on the ''fuss'' on Punk and the Sex Pistols) : ''You created the monster,not me''.

• February 22, 2012 8:44 PM CST
    • Hey you guys! I had no idea about this!!! I was actually very fortunate to stumble across them in their very early days!!! I even had to send away for their first few singles cause they weren't sold in stores!!! Same thing with Generation X too!! I've seem them more times then I can remember, a really good LIVE band. I know Greg and Andy socially but haven't seen them for years...I'm sorry to hear about this but....I don't thing it will last very long....let's just think of it as a hiatus...

• February 22, 2012 7:25 PM CST
    • Another fill-in, this time for Ryan's In The Red. Special guests tonite are Kevin Kardsley of local 60's cover combo, The Kards who have just released their first CD. And along with Kevin is their producer, Hayden Vialva, who just happened to play in a combo called The Dice back in the late 70's/early 80's and played London several times including at least one or more shows at The Cedar Lounge, London's first punk/new wave club.

1. MC5...Kick Out The Jams...from the Live At The Sturgis Armory LP on It's Alive Records. This one goes out to bass player Micheal Davis who passed away a few days back. I picked this version of Kick Out The Jams as Rob Tyner almost says 'Kick Out The Jams Motherfucker', but prefers to tangle with that bad word via The Who's 'My Generation' with its stacatto stuttered vocals....

2. The Kards....Slow Down...from their brand new CD called Here's The Deal and you're listening to the world premier of this one!!

3. The Kards...Lucille...as above.

4. The Dice...Young And Wild...from a 1980 7" on Nardem Records....Hayden said he hadn't seen this record in 30 years, let alone hear it!!

5. The Dice...Typical Lies...from the self titled 12", Hayden didn't even own a copy of this record and now he's looking for one. Anyone out there got a double of this 12" for Hayden?

6. The Kards...Ain't Gonna Lose...as above.

7. The Kards...Pipeline...from their brand new CD and this is the live track recorded here in London at The Bristol.

8. MC5...Human Being Lawnmower...from the Back In The USA LP.

9. MC5...Poison...from the High Times LP.

10. MC5...Borderline...from the Kick Out The Jams LP.

11. Pulsebeats...Song For Cecilia...from their self released CD and brand new. From Spain with lots of powerpop and garage influences...way cool!

12. Sonic Avenues...Throw It Away...from the Television Youth LP on Dirtnap Records.

13. The Diodes...Catwalker...form Action/Reaction CD re-issue on Bongobeat Records.

14. catl...Get Outta My Car...from their soon to be released CD soon this will all be gone. A Hasil Adkins cover and they come to Call The Office Mar 16th.

15. Marvin Rainwater...Hot And Cold...from the brand new Lux Lives! CD to commemerate 3 years since Lux moved on. Lux and Ivy talk about the song right before it starts.

16. Dustaphonics...Tura Faster Pussycat...from the Party Girl CD and goes out to regular host Ryan In The Red.

17. Lords Of Altamont...Faded Black...from The Altamont Sin CD on Gearhead that Michael Davis played bass on.

No regular show this thursday, but i'm back to spoil your dinner on March 1st in the 7 to 8:30PM regular time slot.

Big thanx to Hayden and Kevin for coming on air to talk about cool music!!! The Kards CD release party will be coming soon, and we'll give you all of the details once confirmed.

Here's the archived show in 2 parts:

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWTue1900.mp3

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWTue2000.mp3

• February 22, 2012 5:57 PM CST
    • I cant really say there is anything I hate from the 50's and 60's. Even cheezy pop music. It all sounds good cos it was mostly mono. I do prefer the lighter side of things. But I do occasionally like some heavy stuff. The Buzz ' You're holding me down' is a great track. I really like simple stuff like the Tornados and Bert Weedon. Saxaphone led stuff is great. The Flea Rekkers 'Green Jeans' is a fave. The lyrics of most 60's tracks do make me laugh though. Those poor young men. They loved their girlfriends so much and all they did was stay out all night and go off with every man in town! Jezebels and Harlots the lot of them!

Love the cars, the clothes, the furniture, and the bands. Nuff said.