Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• February 1, 2012 9:24 PM CST
    • Ok, now I really really wish I still had these. I think my sis and I had a fight over who got the record off the box. Ok, I'm cheating, cuz the song isn't an advert, but damn, this exercise was all about SELLING SHITE TO KIDS. That is the real trash if you ask me.

This def. counts as pop trash. Literally, played to death, then, binned. I think ours came in a diff. version -- off the Sugar Pops box.  Anyway, the records aren't as supercool at Shadows of Knight... but good memories! Thanks for the thread. Mel

Nice link here.

• February 1, 2012 8:31 PM CST
    • OK... let's all play TRASHY ADVERTS - the basic idea here is to post up sound files / images etc... and so on... of your favourite groovy advert crud ...so that nerds like me and my mate si-mon can frug about to some real hip sounds ...one of my fave groovy trashy adverts is - The Shadows of Knight 'potato chip' - it was as I understand a freebie in some or other brand potato chips* box in the US ( *or as we prefer to call them over here 'crisps' ) - here's a pic of the one that I like to spin

and here's what it sounds like -

and here's another typically top-fab 'n' groovy example ...

weh hey.. off y'go then ;)

• February 1, 2012 9:07 PM CST
    • My fave 'unoffical release' in my collection is: Siouxie and the Banshees Metal Shadows. I have it right here next to me. Tracks from '77 and '78.

• February 1, 2012 3:18 PM CST

• Yep..right on! As Ray Davies put it so brilliantly in song, I'm not like everybody else.
      Ghislaine Korb / THE PUSH-BACKS said:

i was born  punk.Honest.So the first time i heard a punk song it was like a shock it was so new yet so familiar!!

• February 1, 2012 11:23 AM CST
    • Thanks Divaluxe!  Much Appreciated.

• January 31, 2012 10:23 PM CST
    • Once you become an official podcaster on GP Pirate Radio, you get access to a treasure trove of music, including station ID MP3s. Fake it for now, or make your own!

• January 31, 2012 5:32 PM CST
    • I'll have it on your desk first thing Monday Morning! :)  Already a member at Music Alley, read the T.O.S. and understand exactly how to do this.   One thing though, that station I.D. thing. - how can I get that as an mp3?

• January 31, 2012 8:56 AM CST
    • Hello is it necessary that podcast have one hour long ? Two hours is possible ?

• February 1, 2012 7:08 AM CST
    • Haven't seen anyone mention Coachwhips, their album Bangers vs. Fuckers is a thing of distorted, loud, fiesty, boisterous beauty. Strongly recommend it to absolutely everyone.

• January 31, 2012 6:32 PM CST
    • Twin Twelve... and my ol' Kohler Jr.  I've since added a lyre vibrato. 

• January 31, 2012 5:10 PM CST
    • Oh yes I have :-) This has nothing to do with mono vs. stereo, but with aac+ vs. mp3 to reduce streaming bandwidth and still keep a good audioquality. Streaming aac+ and in mono would gain you even more!

kopper said:

Have you listened to any of our podcasts? They're all MP3s ripped at 80 kbps mono and sound completely fine. Stereo is overrated anyThway.

Yeah Right Radio said:

Have a look at aac+ vs. mp3 streaming. Better audioquality in relation to the bandwidth used, so you can even serve smartphone users with a limited bandwidth with an acceptable to good sound! The only downside is that one needs an aac+ capable music player which are less common than plain mp3 music players, but the major players like VLC, Winamp, iTunes etc support it. Have a listen to http://yeahright.getmyip.com:8000/listen.pls with one of those players and check out the soundquality!

• January 31, 2012 11:51 AM CST
    • Have you listened to any of our podcasts? They're all MP3s ripped at 80 kbps mono and sound completely fine. Stereo is overrated anyway.

Yeah Right Radio said:

Have a look at aac+ vs. mp3 streaming. Better audioquality in relation to the bandwidth used, so you can even serve smartphone users with a limited bandwidth with an acceptable to good sound! The only downside is that one needs an aac+ capable music player which are less common than plain mp3 music players, but the major players like VLC, Winamp, iTunes etc support it. Have a listen to http://yeahright.getmyip.com:8000/listen.pls with one of those players and check out the soundquality!

• January 31, 2012 4:31 PM CST
    • The Fog Band were really awesome, having only one single published and lasted for 6 years and disappeared. I even wrote a Wikipaedia entry on them.

• January 31, 2012 4:20 PM CST
    • Station 360, played a lot around Hampshire in the UK during the 80s, released one cassette EP.....they were great..... 

• January 31, 2012 4:04 PM CST
    • Buttshakers soul party. I got volume 1. There are several volumes. Its on Mr. Luckee records from Brooklyn,NY.  Highly reccomended!

• January 31, 2012 1:22 PM CST
    • Cool, Kopper - thanks!

WMSE Radio

ATTN: Andy Turner, Zero Hour

1025 N. Broadway

Milwaukee, WI 53202

• January 31, 2012 1:00 PM CST
    • Andy, what's the best address to use for promos? I'll add it to our list!

• January 31, 2012 1:01 PM CST
    • What address should bands/labels use for mailing in promos? I'll add it to our list.

Thanks.

• January 31, 2012 11:43 AM CST
    • I do a weekly show called Radio What Wave outta London Ontario Canada at Western University, CHRW ....lots of garage, protopunk, powerpop, obscuro, etc... The weekly play list is posted in this group and here's a link to the podcast which is updated weekly:

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1900.mp3

Here's the addy if you want to send stuff to our Music Director, Ashley:

94.9 CHRW
      Room 250, UCC
      University of Western Ontario
      London, Ontario, Canada
      N6A 3K7

CHRW prefers CD as they don't have any way to file the new vinyl. Some DJ's (self included) do play lots of vinyl.

• January 31, 2012 11:38 AM CST
    • Wow, 25 years at the same station... That's great! Congratulations. I first went on the air 28 years ago this week, but I was off and on for many of those years until landing my weekly gig at KDHX in 1995, which lasted almost 11 years. I haven't been on the airwaves since '06.

Joanie Lindstrom said:

Well last Thurs. I just had my 25 year celebration on WMBR, the MIT station where our punk rock show the Late Riser's Club has been in existence for 35 years in May.

• January 31, 2012 9:13 AM CST
    • Hey, thanks for the info! I've never heard of these bands before. When I first started reading this, I thought "Robert Johnson? Huh? He's blues", but anyway, yeah, I'll look into him. Sex Clark Five sounds like a punk band, but I'll take your word for it. Cheers!

Jose said:

I've re-discovered Robert Johnson im my record collection recently and have been stuck on him now for a good month. While he really isn't paisley pop it's still great stuff, it's more Beach Boys sounding power-pop than anything. It's worth checking out, you can usually find his 2 lps on e-bay fairly cheap ( Memphis demos and Close Personal Friend ). If you get a chance check out his 1st 45 with the Bell Heirs. I think  both albums were re-released on cd a while back, it's worth looking into. Also you might want to check out The Leopards ( re-released on SingSing records ) and the Sex Clark Five, both are 60s British invasion influenced.

• January 31, 2012 8:10 AM CST
    • yea. the gtrs and vocals are way better. especially the gtrs.

cool tunes too