Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• January 26, 2012 10:22 AM CST
    • Interview with Peter Aaron, check it out here!!

• January 26, 2012 9:56 AM CST
    • I remember talking to one of them (drummer Mike Boise) after their show here w/ the NY Dolls & Supersuckers (who Supersucked that night, btw), and he was really nice and friendly. Never got a chance to talk to Andy or Greg, though. But I can say that they were always really great in the promo department when I had my radio show... sent me all their albums to play, even sending signed Christmas cards every year and stuff. Not many bands do that sorta thing anymore!

Rob Filardo said:

they were always great onstage - it's *offstage* where they always sucked.

• January 26, 2012 9:16 AM CST
    • they were always great onstage - it's *offstage* where they always sucked.

• January 26, 2012 8:11 AM CST
    • Got to see them open up fer the Cramps about five years ago and gotta say, I don't dig their records at all but they were one helluva live band...(as I recall the lead singer got a bit too wild fer the club's liking and got ejected from his own show near the end of their act...to this day I think the Cramps were pist that CK was tryin' to one-up them in the rock star department)

• January 25, 2012 8:13 PM CST
    • herd about this. it sux. i haven't even got to see them yet and were from the same turf

• January 25, 2012 4:21 PM CST
    • no!!!!!!!

• January 25, 2012 1:02 PM CST
    • I have a separate source than Rob's that told me this news a few months ago, but I was not sure if it was true.

• January 26, 2012 7:07 AM CST
    • Back Room Records was in business for at least five years.  I don't know how they were able to survive in those bootleg-hating days.  There was also Second Coming Records in Cambridge, Ma...they had tons of boots. Most dealers/stores bought their stock from wholesaler "Still Rare Records" in South Carolina.  Still Rare was a mail-order company that exploited some Carolina loophole and could not be shut down.  They even advertised in Rolling Stone's back pages!  I can remember getting flyers about bootleg cut-out sales...unpopular or unsold boots selling for as low as $1.37! 

• January 26, 2012 6:46 AM CST

• Mike said:

Love this thread, making me revisit some stuff I haven't listened to in many years. I assume the Whitman's Punk Sampler had been rebooted by many different bootleggers just as many other boots had been. Mine has a 11 1/2" square piece of paper with artwork and no tracklisting. A previous owner must of written the tracklisting that is on the plain white labels. I can't remember the last time I played this one, maybe a decade or more ago. What a shame as the live recordings here are good. Here's a tracklisting:

Side 1: Patti Smith - 'Space Monkey' Tom Petty - 'Jaguar & Thunderbird', 'American Girl' Talking Heads - 'Psycho Killer' Runaways - 'Wasted'

Side 2: Sex Pistols - Anarchy In The U.K. Damned - 'Help', 'Stab your Back', 'So Messed Up' Ramones - 'Rockaway Beach', Sheena Is A Punk Rocker', 'Surfin' Bird' Iggy Pop - 'Neighborhood Threat' Patti Smith - 'Mafia'

John Battles said:

Wow. How did they get away with only selling Bootlegs? Were they Mob - owned or something?

My ex - GF got arrested for selling Boots on the East Coast , and we're not even talking enough reords to fill the "X" section at your local , AFTER removing ( L.A. ) X , (Aussie) X, and X-Ray Spex....we're talking maybe a half - dozen records....

That's pretty cool, that story about The Ramones. A friend of mine loaned me that "Whitman's Punk Sampler" , was'nt Tom Petty on that , too , though? ha ha ha ha ha.

Tony Jonaitis said:

Who remember "Back Room Records" in Amherst, Ma?  They only sold bootlegs (vinyl, of course).  I remember walking in there in 1980 and finding all four Ramones buying Ramones bootlegs!!!  Bliss!  Anyway, my first "punk" bootleg was "Whitman's Punk Sampler."  A great comp of live stuff by Patti Smith, Pistols, etc.

• January 25, 2012 11:34 PM CST
    • Screamers - '1977 Demos' is a good one to own in my opinion. I do not believe there is any duplication of tracks that are on the official "In A Better World" double CD release. My only complaint is that they split up "122 Hours of fear" between the A & B sides.

• January 25, 2012 11:06 PM CST
    • Love this thread, making me revisit some stuff I haven't listened to in many years. I assume the Whitman's Punk Sampler had been rebooted by many different bootleggers just as many other boots had been. Mine has a 11 1/2" square piece of paper with artwork and no tracklisting. A previous owner must of written the tracklisting that is on the plain white labels. I can't remember the last time I played this one, maybe a decade or more ago. What a shame as the live recordings here are good. Here's a tracklisting:

Side 1: Patti Smith - 'Space Monkey' Tom Petty - 'Jaguar & Thunderbird', 'American Girl' Talking Heads - 'Psycho Killer' Runaways - 'Wasted'

Side 2: Sex Pistols - Anarchy In The U.K. Damned - 'Help', 'Stab your Back', 'So Messed Up' Ramones - 'Rockaway Beach', Sheena Is A Punk Rocker', 'Surfin' Bird' Iggy Pop - 'Neighborhood Threat' Patti Smith - 'Mafia'

John Battles said:

Wow. How did they get away with only selling Bootlegs? Were they Mob - owned or something?

My ex - GF got arrested for selling Boots on the East Coast , and we're not even talking enough reords to fill the "X" section at your local , AFTER removing ( L.A. ) X , (Aussie) X, and X-Ray Spex....we're talking maybe a half - dozen records....

That's pretty cool, that story about The Ramones. A friend of mine loaned me that "Whitman's Punk Sampler" , was'nt Tom Petty on that , too , though? ha ha ha ha ha.

Tony Jonaitis said:

Who remember "Back Room Records" in Amherst, Ma?  They only sold bootlegs (vinyl, of course).  I remember walking in there in 1980 and finding all four Ramones buying Ramones bootlegs!!!  Bliss!  Anyway, my first "punk" bootleg was "Whitman's Punk Sampler."  A great comp of live stuff by Patti Smith, Pistols, etc.

• January 25, 2012 7:48 PM CST
    • Wow. How did they get away with only selling Bootlegs? Were they Mob - owned or something?

Tony Jonaitis said:

• January 25, 2012 7:05 PM CST
    • Who remember "Back Room Records" in Amherst, Ma?  They only sold bootlegs (vinyl, of course).  I remember walking in there in 1980 and finding all four Ramones buying Ramones bootlegs!!!  Bliss!  Anyway, my first "punk" bootleg was "Whitman's Punk Sampler."  A great comp of live stuff by Patti Smith, Pistols, etc.

• January 25, 2012 3:37 PM CST
    • Another favorite of mine is "Elvis Presley - Live , Pearl Harbor Memorial , Hawaii , 1961".

Elvis was barely out of the service when he had to relive it onscreen (But ,while , in real life , Brigitte Bardot said "No" , Juliet Prowse said "Yes ! Yes ! ", even if it meant her offscreen Boyfriend ,  Frank Sinatra were to find out. He did. He let the kid live.)....

So , when he agreed to do this charity show , one of two before the 68 Comeback and Vegas era shows , his kool kat daddy badass pompadour was still buzzed off (For the movie cameras) never to return to it's former glory. He DID wear the gold lame Nudie jacket , tho' . It's a glimpse , musically speaking , of what could have still been.

His band , "The Unwashables" , as he calls 'em , consisted of Scotty Moore , D.J. Fontana (Bill Black was still alive , but , he never worked with Elvis again. I guess he was pissed , because "E" had to play the proto - Ramones bass line on "You're So Square...." when Black could'nt git it.), monster Jazz/C and W Guitar Player , Hank Garland, Boots Randolph , The Jordanaires , and Bob Moore on Bass. It's a dynamic cross section of early material (Going as far back as "That's All Right , Mama.) ", all the RCA hits , including his oft - overlooked "Holy shit ! I just got drafted!" Late 50's sides , and more recent stuff like a killer "Reconsider Baby" and "Are You Lonesome Tonight"( "Then came act two.....you seemed to change. You got FAT !!"). THE SOUND IS VERY GOOD , CONSIDERING THE TECHNOLOGY OF THE AGE , AND ALL THE HORNY WAHINIS SCREAMING THEIR LUNGS OUT.

THE ORIGINAL BOOTLEG HAS A NICE GATEFOLD SLEEVE WITH A PICTURE BOOKLET OF REPROS OF ALL THE HAWAII NEWSPAPER ARTICLES ANNOUNCING AND REVIEWING THE CONCERT. The concert also appears , in full , on the "Elvis Aaron Presley" box set . It's important for it's historical quality , also that there's nothing but great songs , and Elvis , in great voice , sounding confident , cocky , and in good humor , as though he were ready to conquer the world again , on his own terms.....Did'nt quite go that way.

• January 25, 2012 3:12 PM CST
    • THAT'S BRUTAL ! Supposedly , one member of the band attacked his Uncle  with a fishing hook(??). A lot of good reissues came out around the turn of the century - Pack , Hubble Bubble's first , FU2 (MEMBERS OF THE DOWNLINERS SECT BEATING THE PUNKS AT THEIR OWN GAME!) , and of course , Los Punk Rockers.

Alex said:

I would have to pick the not-so-legit reissue of the S/T LP by The Pack (German punk band).

• January 25, 2012 3:08 PM CST
    • COOL ! Of course , it's available on DVD , with tracks (Bad choice of words) not on the LP , CD , PREVIOUS VHS VERSION , ETC. WHAT'S THAT LABEL? BVM ? They're doing some great , and some GOOD , stuff for Punk rarities and other delights .

Mike said:

Yea, that was the one. It was a great show. That boot was recorded with a DAT recorder from the balcony as I recall. I saw him more than once at the Roxy, I think the other time was the year before this.

• January 26, 2012 4:05 AM CST
    • That's really stink news. Go hard Reg, don't let it grind ya down.

• January 25, 2012 7:32 PM CST
    • Note: Jacqueline Ryan , long time Troggs fan club Prez (And even the topic of their song , "Meet Jacqueline".) , specified cards , she did'nt say anything about letters , so , I guess that would mean cards are easier to deal with.

• January 25, 2012 4:19 PM CST
    •  

I've just been informed that, due to an ongoing bout with Lung Cancer, Reg Presley has had to retire from music, putting an end to a career that nearly hit the 50 year mark with The Troggs, one of Britain's most important  proto - Punk bands, if not THE most important.....Some people even consider them the only Garage Punk band to come out of England.

It was my good fortune to meet Reg once, and he conveyed such humor and goodwill. A no-nonsense person, but never an egotist or a phony. And all of that was doubly true, on stage.

We've lost The Troggs. I don't know about anyone else, but, it means something to me.

PLEASE go to http://www.my-generation.org.uk/Troggs/

To read Presley's personal statement to his friends and fans.

Reg will recieve all cards and letters sent c /o: Jacqueline Ryan  56 Waite Davies Rd.

London SE12 OND     ENGLAND.

Please think a good thought today, and all days, for Reg. And, if you're so inclined, say a prayer for him, too. He has one Hell of a fight ahead of him, and he needs to know he's got people in his corner.

• January 25, 2012 8:56 PM CST
    • I'VE HEARD ABOUT SPECIAL AFFECT AND DV8.....SAW THE REFORMED EFFIGIES A COUPLE OF TIMES. I ACTUALLY FOLLOWED THEM , ONCE....TECHNICALLY. I WAS INVITED TO PLAY THE AFTER - PARTY TO THIS BIG 30 YEARS OF PUNK (IT WAS 2006. I WAS QUICK TO TELL THEM , IT'S BEEN FORTY YEARS SINCE PUNK BROKE.) FESTIVAL , MOSTLY BANDS I'VE NEVER HEARD OF. BUT , THE EFFIGIES CLOSED IT , THEY WERE GOOD , JUST TOO HUMORLESS , JUST LIKE WHEN I SAW THEM DO AN UNBILLED APPEARANCE AT A CHICAGO PUNK /NEW WAVE BANDS REUNION......THEN , THEY CALLED CURFEW , WHICH MEANT EVERYBODY UNDER 21 HAD TO LEAVE.  IT ALSO MEANT , THEY WENT FROM 300 TO 30 ATTENDEES BEFORE I HIT THE STAGE. BUT , I HIT THAT FUCKER , HARD.

Cool pics. Bo Diddley was also on the show with The Clash and The Undertones (Aragon Ballroom , Chicago.).

melissa scott said:

Mr. Rotten

I'm pretty sure this was the first photo I ever saw of Johnny Rotten. My friend Trixie came into homeroom and showed me a news article -- she'd clipped it to show me. Pretty sure I have the article plastered in a book somewhere. Around Dec '76 or Jan '77? I read the article, stared at the photo, then refused to give it back to her. Got told off by the teacher for wrestling over it. The rest of the school year was pretty much wasted on me.

She and I had already been hooked on old Who LP's -- and when the Ramones lp came out, we both went on an all-day mission to find our copies. Success!

So we were ready for The Pistols. There was an awesome newsagent in Evanston, IL who stocked PUNK. Seriously, the only one in town:

Wish I'd been the one to buy 'em. Read hers. :-(

I've checked my school diaries from '78-'81 and there are photos pasted in of The Clash on almost every other page for 2 years running. Wow. What an impression they made. I'm sure if I hadn't seen 'em live, I wouldn't have been so stuck on them for so long.

Funny, there aren't there any homework listings, but almost every show or gig I attended is marked in girlish handwriting. I love how many pictures I have of Blondie. And Mick Jones! I guess The Rose came out that year, huh?

Remember The Effigies? DV8? The Special Affect? Don't know why, but I had a habit of clipping the show ads from The Reader (Chicago) and pasting them in. At the time, it seemed like overkill, but now I'm glad I did it.

Thanks Dave for the trip down cloudy memory lane. Mel

• January 25, 2012 4:41 PM CST
    • My uncle played me a warped cassette of the Dead Boys - Young Loud and Snotty. Told me they were THE Cleveland punk band (I'm an Ohioan). A few weeks later, my best friend says his older sister gave him a burned CD of some awesome Cleveland band. It was the same Dead Boys album. I got a copy from him and to this day the Dead Boys remain a favorite of mine.

• January 25, 2012 12:54 PM CST
    •  I was led to the punk, garage music because it was the opposite of what I was told was acceptable. I was raised in a Pentecostal household where all I could listen to were spiritual songs. Everything else was from Satan himself and if I listened to it I would burn in Hell for all eternity.

But FM radio, the Animals, and cream magazine changed that.  Cream led me to Blue Cheer , MC5, and the Stooges. It went quickly down hill from that point. I'm sure if they were right I have a special place in hell waiting for me.

• January 25, 2012 7:27 PM CST
    • one of my favorite bands ever. the mummies rule!!!! and mummies peel sessions is one of my favorite albums they ever put out. i cant wait to get this on record.

• January 25, 2012 12:56 PM CST
    • it's really well done & funny & amazing! I was really honored to be in the comic! They didn't tell me in advance...they just waited till i read it (on the plane home from ny from deejaying at the norton 25th anniversary shows) where i totally flipped! hahaha...