Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• January 12, 2012 9:09 AM CST
    • Light Bulb, Ultimatemost High & Ruby... you guys DO realize you can embed these videos directly into your posts, right?

• January 12, 2012 8:28 AM CST
    • Ahhhhh fuckin' Modz.  I was one '79 ish ....yeh  a revialist, powered by thee jam.  Quadraphenia movie's out.  Every dickhead Jimmy wannabe riding round gardens at drunk'n parties, wardrobes pushed outta bedroom windows, pill popping.... anyol'shit the pharmacists son could steal.... incuding cod liver oil capsules.

What turned me off mod was when God - Bo Diddley came to a city 12 miles away.  I and 2 friends went on scooterz.  (I expected the place to be full of suited coolsterz but nah those mods had no idea, other than thee who, quadrahenia and motown).  I shared Bo with greasy ol' long haired biker rockerz.  It still is the best live experience ever.   A small pub backroom and Bo backed by an eager young rock n' roll group.

I'd suggest checking out dutch mods -

any q65 material http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgduSEG2gG8 

de maskers - sensations in sounds album. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dx168kpFAg

and bo diddley.

....how do you embed vids?......

• January 12, 2012 3:59 AM CST
    • I remember seeing the Prisoners at a place in Croydon , London back in the mid 80s (Underground club) Fab, The Three O Clock were supporting I think...

some bands that started off as Psychobilly went kind of garage/punk The Vibes probably were the best of these doing covers old Pebbles clssics like "Hurricane Fighter Plane" , I'm in Pittsburgh", "double Decker Bus" ... so not mod then but hovering around that groove S'pose .

Si mon

Dan ring said:

The prisoners are a great example of the mod sound. Another band that had some bite,also from the 80's was les elite.

...more on the power pop tip but a personal fave of the mod revival groups of the 80's was the teen beats! They had a great 7" out called I can't control myself.
      Thee Retroman said:

The Prisoners were a mod band with bite! and so were the Daggerman... the energy of these bands was how mod should sound. 

The Eyes

The Sorrows

Johns Children

Downliners Sect

The Wheels

Them

The Artwoods.......................

theres a few to start you off lol

• January 12, 2012 3:03 AM CST
    • Oh Boy you got Me down to a "T" (whatever that means). ho, ho! Si mon

N yeAH I probably aquire more rubbish than I care to mention

• January 12, 2012 12:34 AM CST
    • (kopper said) "You get used to the convenience of being able to pop a CD into a disc player and hitting the track number and pause button, cued up and ready to go."

Boy, I second that. I lug a crate of CDs into KSFR twice a week for my shows. But I used to lug in two crates. These days about half my shows are from my iPod.

What you said about vinyl is true too. A huge pain in the ass to cue and the ever present danger of fucked up needles.

kopper said:

Well, having a few radio shows spanning over 20 years spoiled me. You get used to the convenience of being able to pop a CD into a disc player and hitting the track number and pause button, cued up and ready to go. Cuing up vinyl LPs every two minutes for two or three straight hours is a huge pain in the ass, especially when you're also supposed to be going on mic every so often, keeping a log of the songs you're playing, plugging in PSAs, commercials, etc., and still finding time to answer the phone, run to the bathroom, smoke a cigarette, take transmitter readings, whatever. CDs made being a radio DJ a LOT easier. But these days you don't even need to lug your CDs around to do a radio show... all you need is an iPod or two, plug them into the control board and no one will know the difference. Also, playing your precious vinyl on radio station turntables with questionable needle quality (you have no idea how the other jocks on the station are treating these needles, and they may go six months or a year before getting replaced) you often find your records getting worn down a lot sooner than they should be. So anyway, while I saw the convenience of CDs from a radio DJ's point of view (to the point where I would actually prefer bands send CD promos to me instead of vinyl), I can also totally understand why we've reached the end of their lifespan. They're just not necessary anymore when you can purchase 320 kbps MP3s from just about anywhere and burn your own CDs, or put them on your MP3 players or whatever. They've just become the next dinosaur.

• January 11, 2012 5:25 PM CST
    • that's a relief. i wonder how long it'll be until people quit coming to the merch booth requesting CD's

• January 11, 2012 3:40 PM CST
    • Istill stick to my opinion that they aren't going anywhere. cd's still out sell our vinyl 4 to 1.  We've sold about 3000 records this year compared to around 12,000 cds in 2011, mp3's are kind of stagnant. Punk rock just doesn't sell very well via digital services.

• January 12, 2012 12:24 AM CST
    • Hope to see you there!

T. Tex Edwards said:

Nervebreakers will be playing Get Hip showcase, Dog & Duck and more...

• January 12, 2012 12:24 AM CST
    • The $675 is for the actual conference. Few buy that outside of industry people.

I think they still sell wristbands that get you in all the shows -- supposedly. I've been turned away from some shows where even the festival badge won't get you in.

But like Eddy said, there are jillions of parties during the day that aren't officially affiliated. Many of these are free and open to the public. I almost always go to the Bloodshot Records party at the Yard Dog gallery. In fact the Yard Dog has shows there almost every day. Lots of labels have daytime shows.

And here's some good news -- most of those daytime parties give you free beer and sometimes food. (I went to this party at the late lamented Las Mananitas restaurant one year -- not sure how I got invited -- that featured Doug Sahm, Augie Meyers, Joe Ely, Freddy Fender and a bunch of great Mexican musicians. They were giving away free tamales and beer. A pretty lady took my beer and opened it for me. I didn't realize for a moment that it was Sandra Bullock. ) 

Also, if you want to stay at one club all night, most, I understand will let the public in for a cover charge. 

I'm a reporter so I've always gotten a comp badge (been there about 10 times since the mid 90s) But I'm almost tempted to try it this year without any badge or wristband to see how I fare.

Can't help much with the price of hotels. My only advice is to make reservations early.

Shtbird said:

So I checked out the website (Never attended a music festival of any sort). Lineup looks pretty fun, I've seen a handful of them on little west coast tours.

But 675 for a Music Badge?

and Hotel Rooms at 150+ a night?

We're talking at least 1500 (including travel, food, drinks, etc.) I don't know about you guys, but I'm dirt poor working class. I can't afford that shit.

Does anyone know of a cheaper way to do this?

• January 11, 2012 11:22 PM CST
    • Nervebreakers will be playing Get Hip showcase, Dog & Duck and more...

• January 11, 2012 4:56 PM CST
    • fuck that shit. nobody should ever pay money to get into a show at SX. there are plenty of free parties/shows going on, just as good if not better bands playing. Also a lot of them are promotional which means free beer, tacos, what have you. from my experience the best plan is not to have a plan. 

that's my two cents

Shtbird said:

So I checked out the website (Never attended a music festival of any sort). Lineup looks pretty fun, I've seen a handful of them on little west coast tours.

We're talking at least 1500 (including travel, food, drinks, etc.) I don't know about you guys, but I'm dirt poor working class. I can't afford that shit.

• January 11, 2012 3:17 PM CST
    • So I checked out the website (Never attended a music festival of any sort). Lineup looks pretty fun, I've seen a handful of them on little west coast tours.

• January 11, 2012 1:02 PM CST
    • The French fuzz bands are kick ass these daZe:):)

Gringo Starr said:

The Magnetix from Bordeaux are playing and they are great. Fantastic band and good friends of mine. Check em out:

• January 11, 2012 12:59 PM CST
    • I know for sure Cat Power and Mazzy Star are on the bill!!!!:):):)

• January 11, 2012 6:37 PM CST
    • That cover shot could make me spit my drink out , too ! : )

• January 11, 2012 7:27 PM CST
    • Try the Eccentric Soul series!  Pretty fantastic shit!

• January 11, 2012 4:48 PM CST
    • I also have Lookey Dookey but none of the others you mentioned. Definitely have to look em up. Thanks. 

John Battles said:

aS COMPS GO ,THERE'S lOOKEY - dOOKEY , Talkin' Trash , Black Rock'n'Roll (Renamed "Stompin'") , Shaftman (70'S pARTY RECORD interspersed with bad ass Funk AND sOUL FROM THE EARLY 70'S. aBOUT AS nORTHERN AS sOUTH aMERICA.) Excuse the caps....

• January 11, 2012 3:37 PM CST
    • Also "Gaz's Rockin' Blues" on ACE is a great comp. Gaz does Rockin' R'n'B nights in London. I only recently learned that he's John Mayall's son.

• January 11, 2012 3:35 PM CST
    • aS COMPS GO ,THERE'S lOOKEY - dOOKEY , Talkin' Trash , Black Rock'n'Roll (Renamed "Stompin'") , Shaftman (70'S pARTY RECORD interspersed with bad ass Funk AND sOUL FROM THE EARLY 70'S. aBOUT AS nORTHERN AS sOUTH aMERICA.) Excuse the caps....

• January 11, 2012 6:10 PM CST
    • Cheers Amigo!

joey fuckup said:

Meant to thank you on this, Spite! I've downloaded all 16 volumes and talk about a treasure trove of music! Sure there was stuff on there I already had, but there was also quite a bit I had always wanted, but couldn't find it.

• January 11, 2012 4:40 PM CST
    • I really enjoy Live in Exile.

• January 11, 2012 1:03 PM CST
    • good work!

thought they were dead, but raised from their graves. sounds cool again!

thanks for the tip

• January 11, 2012 1:03 PM CST
    • The blind shake and michael yonkers.  I just heard it last week.  It blew me away. I'm waiting for my copy in the mail.