Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• January 13, 2012 2:13 PM CST
    • Last night was fun.  Started early and played for a long time.  The band took an intermission in the middle.  They had some chickie come up for a couple of songs.  She screamed and played harmonica and jumped around and looked good.  The guitar player was less woodlie.  He mostly played a Telecaster (a Dano short horn for a couple) split through 2 amps; a Vox combo and an Orange head through some cabinet.  He sounded more raw than on most of their records (most too glossy for me).  Good energy, pacing, and humor and they played very well, too.  I'll play Moonshine Guy on my show tonight: “He likes the Stones, hates the Doors / Thinks the Beatles sing for girls”

• January 13, 2012 9:12 AM CST
    • I've always wanted to see them, so according to this, Jason Ringenberg's still got it. How about a full review?

• January 13, 2012 1:35 PM CST
    • Alright folks,

El Sótano, a great radio show over here in Spain have stuck up a link to a great free compilation from Slovenly Recordings. 55 tracks in total, all fantastic stuff.

You can get it here - http://www.slovenly.com/mp3s/

Check yer spam folder. That's where my email from them landed.

• January 13, 2012 10:56 AM CST
    • I also play in a project wth a 25 year old guitarist. The vocalist is also my age. I have read band classified ads where younger musicians only want to play with other youngsters, but that's not the case in this project. When I was in my teens and 20's I actually sought out older musicians and wanted to be "schooled" by them. I have always idolized the music of an earlier era and felt closer to it when I payed with those who experienced it first hand.

• January 13, 2012 9:48 AM CST
    • Never too old! I am in a band with members in their 20's, 30's 40's and 50's. We should be called "The Generations" but were not. haha

• January 13, 2012 8:47 AM CST
    • I'm nearly 49 and still actively play punk and garage based music. There are two musicians that I frequently collaborate with who are 57 and 59. I don't feel that I truly "found myself" musically until I was in my mid 30's, though I've been playing guitar since I was 6. I fee as though I learn new tricks and grow all the time.   

• January 13, 2012 8:44 AM CST
    • The Mods Revival in Japan solidified in 1981 with a big scooter run and festival called Mods Mayday (taken from the '79 comp). And they've been going strong every year since. A lot of the bands have been quite a mixture of garage punk, indie pop, shibuya kei, ska, along with some more pure Mods groups like The Collectors, The Fave Raves, The Neat Beats, The Shamrock... There's a 25th anniversary comp full of this stuff. There's also regular events connected to these organizers like March of the Mods. This site poorly needs updating, but it's done by the Mods Mayday people:

http://www.thisismodernworld.com/

Some of currently popular Japanese mods bands include:

THE MINNESOTA VOODOO MEN (suits with a garage edge)

THE BAWDIES (Beatles influence, huge right now, will support The Sonics this year)

THE MERCIES (like The Bawdies but all girls and much raunchier!)

THE SHALLOWS (Mods sound with a touch of GS)

THE SCARLETTES (from Osaka, Who covers and such)

And a bunch of girl groups come to mind SHANGHAI BABIES, THAT'S A NO-NO, SIX, THE PHANTASMS...

Some others mentionable are The Playmates, les Cappuccino even Pizzicato Five, known for mixing Mod fashion & sounds with Shibuya Kei electro-pop.

I'm probably missing a bunch but these are the ones that mind at the moment.

• January 13, 2012 3:46 AM CST
    • Yep , I like the more Garage orientated Mods i.e,The Birds,Creation,Who(early stuf) & as you say those Dutch bands had the right idea.. as for revival stuf , anything thats not too self concious(I'm being very un mod here, probably cos i ain't) Dr Feelgood, Stranglers, yes the Jam(they had the tunes)...when it comes down to it most 79 era revival guys it just sounds like Power Pop... dunno what do you think?

hicksville hogwash said:

Ahhhhh fuckin' Modz.  I was one '79 ish ....yeh  a revialist, powered by thee jam.  Quadraphenia movie's out.  Every dickhead Jimmy wannabe riding round gardens at drunk'n parties, wardrobes pushed outta bedroom windows, pill popping.... anyol'shit the pharmacists son could steal.... incuding cod liver oil capsules.

What turned me off mod was when God - Bo Diddley came to a city 12 miles away.  I and 2 friends went on scooterz.  (I expected the place to be full of suited coolsterz but nah those mods had no idea, other than thee who, quadrahenia and motown).  I shared Bo with greasy ol' long haired biker rockerz.  It still is the best live experience ever.   A small pub backroom and Bo backed by an eager young rock n' roll group.

I'd suggest checking out dutch mods -

any q65 material http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgduSEG2gG8 

de maskers - sensations in sounds album. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dx168kpFAg

and bo diddley.

....how do you embed vids?......

• January 13, 2012 3:11 AM CST
    • The Movement are a cool mod band from present. They're from Denmark, I saw them live at the Ruhrpott Rodeo last year and they were well worth seeing.

Here's their website

• January 13, 2012 7:41 AM CST
    • Social Distortion - Lude Boy

X - Suck Suck

Buzzcocks - Breakdown

The Damned - So Messed Up

The Crowd - Modern Machine
      etc...

• January 13, 2012 7:15 AM CST
    • Squad car by Eddy and the showmen :  1:59 !

• January 13, 2012 7:13 AM CST
    • We Bite by The Misfits !

• January 12, 2012 11:59 PM CST
    • Short Songs by dead Kennedys, AckAckAck by the Minutemen, The Acid commercial by Country Joe & the Fish, Wasted by the Circle Jerks

• January 12, 2012 11:47 PM CST
    • The Black Jaspers - I wanna be your razorblade.

• January 12, 2012 9:50 PM CST
    • ack.......there are too many!!! here's a good one, though:

• January 12, 2012 7:21 PM CST
    • That's tuff , I'd have to go back and check all these songs that'll turn out to be over 2:OO , Anyway...So I'll take the easy way out -    "Talk , Talk " The Music Machine. Says more in 1:58(?) than most full albums.

Runners Up - Jim Basnight "She Got...Fucked".

Ramones : I Can't Be.

Vomit Pigs : Baby's Playing Games .  No known recorded  version is two minutes long.

• January 12, 2012 6:01 PM CST
    • I'm feeling A.D.D. right now. Gimmie your favorite songs that are 2 minutes or less in length.

• January 12, 2012 7:48 PM CST
    • Austin Showlist has most of the free/punk/garage sxsw shows listed. Me? I stick to the 'eastside' (east of I-35/east of downtown) - everything is free, off the radar to the 'douche badges', walk or bike to most of the venues, no lines to get in or to get a beer. If a band is playing an 'official sxsw thing' odds are they're playing free on the eastside on another day. 

http://showlistaustin.com/

• January 12, 2012 4:29 PM CST
    • Oh , and I kissed Lorrie Collins about 15 years ago .There's a notch in my belt. "I don't mess around , boy.". Seriously , Record Nerds IN TRAINING say things like , "I have the vinyls" , I'm not kidding , they do. Or they'll say , "I have vinyl of that.". Saying "I have the record" or "I have it on vinyl" should be in Record Collecting 101. I HAVE LITTLE OR NOTHING IN COMMON WITH JUNIOR HIPSTERS , INC. , Just like I have nothing in common with Dance and Hip Hop DJs , except that we all buy "The Vinyl", however , at least the Junior Hipsters and myself , WE LISTEN TO THE RECORDS!!!!!! 

I GOT STUCK BEHIND TWO TEENAGERS AT A LISTENING STATION , THEY WERE LOOKING FOR A BREAK BEAT ON A 99 CENT 12" , AND THEY'RE TAKING FOR - FUCKING - EVER !!! I'M STANDING THERE , HOLDING A TWELVE DOLLAR 45 , THAT I JUST WANT TO PLAY FOR ABOUT 15 SECONDS , AND I'M LOOKING RIGHT AT THE REASON MOST RECORD STORES DON'T HAVE CUSTOMER TURNTABLES , ANYMORE.

John Battles said:

Whats funny is , I meet these English know - it - alls . I don't judge all British record collectors by them. I met some Londoners who told me they saw Arthur Lee and The ELECTRIC pRUNES , AND BOTH SHOWS WERE SHIT. Whatever, I saw Arthur at least 5 times , and The Prunes , once . Goes without saying each and every show was a gem to make your best girl's fanny ****TWINKLE!*****. tHE FACT THAT IT COULD'NT BE 1967 WHEN THEY SAW 'EM HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH IT. yes ! Lighter fluid - What the Hell? I do know someone who uses it , but only on his dollar records. We've all suffered prats , twats , prannies and fannies , right?    I met some English Rockabillies , and told 'em I like the early English Rock 'n' Rollers . He goes , "Oh ?  D'yer like Cliff Richard?". I thought it might have been a TRICK QUESTION , BUT , I told him , "Yes !" . He said , "Good ! So do we !". It's like being too cool to like Ricky Nelson because you could have taken him home (And watched him make off with your Sister , if she was half as hot as Lorrie Collins.).

• January 12, 2012 2:24 PM CST
    • THE REAL KIDS self-titled LP.