Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• January 9, 2012 6:26 PM CST
    • I've always thought Nu Metal was bad, but this takes the biscuit. Rather, it takes the whole fucking tin, the cup of tea and gets as fat as Bernard Manning. Sinn Sisamouth would laugh at them, if he were alive.

• January 9, 2012 5:16 PM CST
    • DID ANYONE MENTION THE 1985 (?) CHICAGO BEARS ' "SUPERBOWL SHUFFLE " VIDEO?

• January 9, 2012 6:12 PM CST
    • They are pretty. Doesn't Garry Bushell call for Variety to be brought back (he used to live near me)?

swt said:

I just watched the DVD featuring The Ed Sullivan Show with the first Rolling Stones appearance in 1964. I love those old variety shows. Ed would have the hip new mod a go-go bands, Borscht Belt comics, circus acts, Broadway productions, readings of "The Charge of the Light Brigade", puppets, magicians .... you name it.

On the same show as the first Stones appearance was this musical act, 3 sexy Koreans, The Kim Sisters. And though I couldn't find the songs they did on Sullivan (one was a gospel tune, the other involved bagpipes), they're all over YouTube

• January 9, 2012 6:02 PM CST
    •  Yeah , no-one could replace Crazy Charlie ...but BB seems to be carrying his torch if you will .  The Huns ...glad you mentioned them , i got in touch with one of the guys from the band on Garage Punk Hideout ( in its old incarnation) & he kindly sent me the album , that i had long since lost , i never got around to thanking him properly , i feel bad , so if he's still on here or someone knows how i can get in touch , please let me know !

John Battles said:

Derek (Bloodshot Bill) would be tickled to hear that , tho' NO ONE could take Charlie Feathers' place. Also , Charlie's son , Bubba , puts on one of the best Rockabilly shows you'll ever see , WITHOUT Stray Cats ' dos "Vintage " threads or standup Bass.       Yeah , I was really into The Stingrays , too. They got lumped into the "Psychobilly" thing , just because they had a standup bass...I kept all their old records , so , maybe , I'll dig 'em out , soon. 

My friend used to work with their Guitarist (Mark?). Alec Palao , of course , came here , to the land of milk and cold beer , and has since played Bass with  The Magic Christians and the latter day Chocolate Watchband , and works with Ace/Big Beat , his "G.S. I Love You" series (Japanese Group Sound .) should be his proudest achievement....to date.        I even have a Vibes 12" EP.  Time was , if you could find that stuff at all in the states , you could find it cheap , because no one wanted it. Anyone remember The Huns? They were Americans from the Midwest (One of 'em played baseball on the grounds of my old Public School in Glenview , Illinois) who joined the Prisoners /Stingrays / Milkshakes axis in The UK. I need to listen to their EP again - Like The Cannibals with Stoogey Guitar and maybe somewhat more irreverent humor.

Lucky La Rocka said:

YAY, another fan of english early 80s Garage !!!!  My formative years , one of the best gigs ever for me was The Stingrays & Vibes at Retford Porterhouse ....great days !

Bloodshot Bill is great ....a worthy successor to Charlie Feathers !

SarahJayne said:

It's for this reason that I don't limit my tastes to just a few genres. I can find at least one song I'll dig from ANY genre - even mainstream pop music, lol.

As far as 60s style tunes, I'm big on the whole trash revival that evolved from the early psychobilly scene, and consider those bands underrated. THE VIBES (!!!!!), Russian Roulette (pick up the 'fuckin' car 7" if you're into the Cramps), Stingrays, etc. etc. Garage covers with an upright bass, fuck yeah!

I wouldn't be here today if it weren't for them : ).

PS, new G&R blows. Amen.

• January 9, 2012 5:56 PM CST
    • Garage Punk on the mp3 player is the way to go.

• January 9, 2012 5:36 PM CST
    • Yeah....Lymphoma's a BAD one. It will be killed dead , set on fire and it's ashes buried . Sadly , we won't be there to see it happen. No Cancer , Diabetes , AIDS , etc. I could give up a man on Mars for that.

Larry "Rhino " Rhinehart , ignored Guitar God (Iron Butterfly , Captain Beyond.) passed away , last week.

• January 9, 2012 2:17 PM CST
    • I only wish it were not true....like when they said Bon JOvi was dead:(:(:(:(

• January 9, 2012 2:01 PM CST
    • Absolute bummer...my best wishes go out to him and his people...love The Sabs in all their forms!

• January 9, 2012 5:01 PM CST
    • Don't recall ever seeing one, Tex! Feel free to resubmit.

The Nervebreakers said:

Hello Kopper,

Was A Nervebreakers submission for this accepted? Haven't noticed it on any of the comps yet... Let me know if our submission got lost (or we submitted it wrong) and we will re-submit...

Thanks,

T. Edwards

• January 9, 2012 4:20 PM CST
    • Hello Kopper,

Was A Nervebreakers submission for this accepted? Haven't noticed it on any of the comps yet... Let me know if our submission got lost (or we submitted it wrong) and we will re-submit...

Thanks,

T. Edwards

• January 9, 2012 4:55 PM CST
    • When around are you guys planning on coming around CA?

• January 9, 2012 4:41 PM CST
    • Damn thank you guys so much!

• January 9, 2012 3:24 PM CST
    • yeah, the morlocks! also the gravedigger V....beat-man....the monsters....the coyote men....the makers (early)....shutdown 66....the gruesomes....5.6.7.8's....thee headcoats....the raunch hands

• January 9, 2012 12:39 PM CST
    • Greetin's Cretins,

I've been meaning to post here about my old radio show, The Wayback Machine, that I (and for a while, my buddy Jaimz) used to host on KDHX FM 88.1 in St. Louis. The show lasted from Nov. 1995 through Aug. 2006, almost 11 years. This show was actually the reason GaragePunk.com was born! Back in 2001, I wanted to create a website where I could post info & playlists from the show online for informational purposes, and I wanted to have a corresponding message board so people could post about bands & music and crap.

Well, when I went checking for potential domain names, nothing with "Wayback Machine" was available (such as waybackmachine.com), so I just decided on a whim to grab garagepunk.com. So, for the first year or so, GaragePunk.com was merely the online home to my radio show with info, playlists, and a really primitive message board/commenting system on it.

Then, in late 2002 I added the GaragePunk Forums message board, and the site sort of took on a mind (or identity) of its own, leaving my show behind. I kept posting my playlists to the site, though, and then, after I quit doing the show in '06, I transformed the old HTML site into a WordPress blog, with a different blog post for each episode. It took forever for me to accomplish this (several months of copying & pasting in playlist after playlist), but I finally got it finished sometime in 2008. I ALSO started digitizing old CD-R and cassette-tape recordings of some of the episodes, and posted MP3 links on those episode posts. So some of the episode posts on the blog not only have the playlist for the show, but also links to any available audio files (along with a player to listen online).

I'm still in the process of digitizing a bunch of cassettes as well as a small stack of CD-Rs, but I should be nearing completion of that by sometime this spring. In the meantime, you can check out what I already have up on the site. If you click on the "Audio" category from the menu on the right, it will bring up a listing of only those episodes with available recordings attached, if you want to actually listen to some of them.

If you were ever a fan of my Savage Kick or Noise Annoys podcasts here, you should check 'em out. I'll try to remember to post a reply here as I continue to add new audio files (old recordings of the show) as I continue to digitize this stuff. Enjoy, and STAY SICK!

Bookmark it: http://waybackmachine.garagepunk.com

Thanks!
      kopper

• January 9, 2012 3:25 PM CST
    • I still have 30+ live bootleg cassettes of the Prisoners that I got hold of 'back in the day'. I love the Podcasts on this site, but it amazes me how Graham Day, in any of his incarnations  - Prisoners, Solarflares, Planet, The Gaolers, Prime Movers - doesn't appear unless he turns up as drummer or bassist for one of Billy Childish's many bands (Thee Mighty Caesars for example). The man has been pushing out some of the best garage music for over 30 years and we hardly hear anything about him on Garagepunk.com!

Enough is enough! Might have to put together a 'Godlike Genius Of Graham Day' Podcast....

Matt

• January 9, 2012 3:11 PM CST
    • agreed....RELEASE THE PRISONERS!!

• January 9, 2012 2:18 PM CST
    • The Prisoners rule! Still have the Thewisermiserdemelza lp and Electric Fit ep and my mate has the split with The Milkshakes.

• January 9, 2012 3:19 PM CST
    • I thought you looked familiar! ;)

TeenFink said:

your mom got me into punk.

• January 9, 2012 3:15 PM CST
    • your mom got me into punk.

• January 9, 2012 1:18 PM CST
    • Junior High School, 9th Grade 1977: I was a huge Kiss, Led Zep, Ted Nuge fan. Was reading newspaper articles about some new cutting edge "punk" bands, and it got my curiousity. I bought Never Mind The Bollocks, but didn't get it at first, even tried to take it back to the record store and swap it for the new Styx album (thankfully they wouldn't let me do it). I finally got it on the 4th or 5th listen. Then during a big snowstorm in the Winter of '78, where we were off school for an entire week, I discovered college radio, while bored, turning the dial (back when radios had hose things). WCVT, Towson (then State) University had a punk/ new ave show, Friday evenings from 5:00-7:00. DJ Rod Misey played all the latest, Clash, Costello, Patti Smith, Damned, UK Subs, as well as the proto puk classics from Stooges, MC5, Dictators, Amboy Dukes, Velvet Undeground. I was getting "schooled" every Friday evening, and buying a whole new genre of records, trying to catch up. I wrote songs, formed the first all original music band to play at my high school's annual variety show. I'm still playing and enjoying this type of music today.