Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• January 2, 2012 3:17 PM CST
    • Wrekking Hrs 2011 Anthology is ON THE AIR!!! tune in now @ http://whfr.fm/about/listen-live-now  

Featuring all the new releases for 2011:   Delilah DeWyld & the Lost Boys  "Price You Pay", Phantom Shakers "Ghetto Sessions", Dex Romweber Duo, Hamp Goes Wild, and many more...

In the Psychobilly / Neo-Rockabilly hour featuring new releases for 2011: The Casket Bastards, Graveyard Train, Kitty In A Casket, As Diabatz, Koffin Kats, Thee Flanders and many more...

Tune in NOW and listen live as we work our way through the best Rockabilly, Psychobilly, Surf & Garage of 2011!!

• January 2, 2012 2:57 PM CST
    • Of course, I know that the Cramps did write their own material! Or some of it! But part of their legacy is the discovery of a whole new world. So thanks for the tips, I'll continue my exploration. The Cramps had impeccable taste!

Off the Bone (1983)

Human Fly: yes people say it's Green Mosquito by the Tune Rockers but I'm not convinced. I find Kick Out by surf band The Safaris (on Wail on the Beach compilation) sounds much more like Human Fly !

The Way I Walk: Jack Scott

Domino: Roy Orbison

Surfin' Bird: The Trashmen

Lonesome Town: Ricky Nelson

(Garbageman)

(Fever)

Drug Train: Bill Allen, Please Give Me Something

Love Me: The Phantom

I Can't Hardly Stand It: Charlie Feathers

(Goo Goo Muck)

She Said: Hasil Adkins

(The Crusher)

Save It: Mel Robbins

New Kind of Kicks: The Sonics, He's Waiting

Smell of Female (1983 mini-LP)

Thee Most Exalted Potentate of Love: ?

You Got Good Taste: ?

Call of the Wighat: ?

Faster Pussycat: The Boss Tweeds, soundtrack to Faster Pussycat Kill Kill

Ain't Nuthin but a Gorehound: ?

Psychotic Reaction: The Count V

1985 maxi single

Can Your Pussy do the Dog: Del Raney's Umbrellas, Can Your Hossie Do the Dog (for the title only?)

Blue Moon Baby: Dave Diddle Day

Georgia Lee Brown: Jackie Lee Cochran

1986 maxi single

What's Inside a Girl: ?

Get Off the Road: R Lewis Band

Give Me a Woman: Andy Starr

• January 1, 2012 4:14 PM CST
    • Hi , Mitchhz.....Believe it or not , friends , The Cramps did write their own material , too....Especially from their third album on (The only obvious "Lift" on "A Date With Elvis " I can remember is Dr. John (Mac  Rebenack's) "Storm Warning" as the template for "Cornfed Dames " , BUT , i'D HAVE TO GO BACK AND LOOK OVER  tHE OTHER RECORDS To give you any clues , if , indeed I have a clue "Well , everything is FINE , but I can't find my mind".

When Lux was still , physically , with us , he said these comps , and unconfirmed connections between their songs and others was getting a bit silly....

Fo example , it's widely believed that "Human Fly " was lifted from "The Green Mosquito"(Tune Rockers?) , only because it has a similar insect sound ....Ivy said that somebody told her their song reminded them of the other , and she decided , well , I guess I need to find a copy , because I've never heard it !

I can't trace any of the other songs the lord taught us to anywhere else....Except , "I'm Cramped" was based directly on "Bust Out" by The Busters. Also , a minor detail , The Cramps' version of "Tear it Up" was based on Charlie Feathers' arrangement .

"Jungle Hop" by The Cramps was a direct cover of "Jungle Hop" by Kip Tyler....Most of the Psychedelic Jungle songs , besides the ones you mentioned , don't bring anything to mind (which is a prerequisite to being a Cramps fan , don't bring anything to mind.), though "Beautiful Gardens" reminds me a bit of "Bertha Lou" by Dorsey Burnette , "Jungle Fever" , by The Playboys ( Yet another Peter Gunnish instro that could've influenced this , "I Can't Find My Mind" , and/or others , and , possibly ,  neither. It also originally reminded me of a heavier take on"Oh , Pretty Woman" , succeeding where Van Halen failed , but , moreso the beat.... They're playing in keys known only to them . There is NO band in the world exactly like The Cramps , and that's because.....The Way I Walk(Jack Scott) , and you can take it from there......

• January 1, 2012 8:50 PM CST
    • "new years day" by the amcats

• January 1, 2012 4:33 PM CST
    •  I don't know. It's 4:20 PM , here , and I have'nt played the stereo , once all day.

As sick to death as I am of "Auld Lang Syne" , and glad that it was'nt played at the show I went to , last night , I gotta give it up for Slade's "Auld Lang Syne / You'll Never Walk Alone" medley.    I guess it'd just have to be a good song about new beginnings , but , it's still too early in the day for me to consider that. Best in 2012 , all the same.

• January 2, 2012 1:42 PM CST
    • Thanks for the suggestions guys.  I'll try to use many of these on my show next NYE Eve.

Here's the set list from Friday's Big Mix radio show (not entirely on topic but still...):

Intro music bed - Wade In The Water - Ramsey Lewis

Let It Out (Let It All Hang Out) - Hombre

(Undocumented tracks from Strummin’ Mental comp while Tony and I tried to figure out why the mics were giving out a huge amount of hum/feedback)

Leader Of The Sect - Downliner Sect

Milkcow Blues - The Kinks

Double Shot Of My Baby's Love - The Swinging Medallions (I'd never heard them called medallions before)

> break 

? - The Damned (Undocumented tracks still working on mic #2 problems)

? - Small Faces

> break

Move It On Over - Del Shannon

Johnny Jack - The Headcoatees

Kaiser Stomp - The Kaisers

Rollerland - The Twilighters

Sock It To 'em JB - Rex Garwin

455 SD - Radio Birdman

The Hump - The Pandoras

We're Brewin' - The Hanson Brothers

Surf Beat - Dick Dale

Start The Party - The Dirtbombs

Foxy - The Mar Keys

> break

That's Cool, That's Trash - Streetcleaners

Farmer John - The Premiers

Drug Train - The Cramps

The Fuzz - Link Wray

Rock Thy Neighbor - The Smugglers

Pinball Party - 5678s

Bombs Away - The Humpers

Let's Have A Party - The Vultures

Enjoy Yourself - The Specials

Outro music bed - Squadcar - Eddie and the Showmen

• January 2, 2012 12:12 PM CST
    • THE PIPETTES ROCK MY SOX :):)

• January 2, 2012 12:52 PM CST
    • JJR would have the dead dancin' too :):):)!!!!!!

Foxhole said:

I've seen an elderly couple dancing at a Jim Jones Revue show. I wanna be just like them when i'm old.

• January 2, 2012 10:51 AM CST
    • I've seen an elderly couple dancing at a Jim Jones Revue show. I wanna be just like them when i'm old.

• January 2, 2012 10:12 AM CST
    • .....and wherever there are young people to keep the TRUE UNwimpy rock flame alight, I'LL BE THERE MAN :):):)!!!!

URGENT FURY said:

Yeah man!! Who would know what real kick-ass rock'n'roll IS, if not for the people that actually LIVED through it, experienced it tasted it mashed it up!!! You'rea fountain of rock knowledge, m'man!! Younger people just haven't lived it...but they want it...

here I am rockin with my band URGENT FURY!!!

• January 2, 2012 7:55 AM CST
    • I'm having a helluvah time reading all the crazzzeeeeeeeeeeeeee posts here......rock on folks:):)!!! R'n'r has always and will always be associated to rebellion, sex and come-what-may....but HEY, who said you can't be a rebel at 53, hehehehehheheheh :):)

• January 1, 2012 8:39 PM CST
    • I'm the same age as you, Matthew and I still jump into the fray at shows if I like the band (if I'm not photographing them, that is). And I'm usually the most animated dancer on the floor when I do. I still get an adrenaline rush from listening to rock and roll...I hope that never goes away.

• January 2, 2012 12:16 PM CST
    • I gotta second John Battles, Roctober is the best music magazine out there. Hands down. It's scope is way wider than garage, but it's all Rock&Roll, Rock&Soul, whatever. I really dig Avi Spivak's Human Being Lawnmower. That rules. He also just did the Kicksville Confidential comic for Norton which kicks ass. And I do PORK. It's free, it's nationally distributed, PORK #5 just came out with King Lollipop, Hunx, Danny James & Pear, Andy Human, Wax Idols, Guantanamo Baywatch, John Holmstrom & King Lollipop. PORK is a big old broadsheet like INTERVIEW & is inspired by the NYC of Warhol, Lou Reed, New York Dolls etc, Mad Magazine, Ed Roth hot rod & biker stuff for kids, the 60s Undergrounds, Japanese pop stuff, John Waters, the Sammy Davis Jr. side of Church of Satan, etc. Personally I came out of Oakland, CA so there's a definite east bay connection/emphasis, and I was a fuckin' UK82 Chaos Punk type when I was a kid so that leaks through. ha ha. Anyhow, if any of you have good suggestions for places to send boxes of PORK magazines, that's helpful too. We wanna hit every city in the country.   

• January 2, 2012 9:24 AM CST
    • Rainbo did a great job for me years ago...but my experience with United was painless.  I think there are some other sources listed over at "The Lathe Trolls" site.

• January 2, 2012 8:42 AM CST
    • I really liked it interviews in it were pretty good as well as the free downloads!

• January 2, 2012 7:07 AM CST
    • That sounds pretty cool, who did you contact for that info? Chap I tried was Bill Edwards, but no response so far...

Col Wolfe said:

Hi Mole - for a 16th of a page (the small one!), it's £88 (+VAT) for a label to plug it wares.  But if you're an independent record store, real shop and/or online, they do a cheaper deal for £35.  Alas, we only qualified as a label but I do know that after advertising via RC the lovely FruitsdeMer chaps sell out of their 500 press runs very quickly....

• January 2, 2012 4:42 AM CST
    • it soubds crazy, i'm also a stagemanager and for me the dj is as importent as the band.

they get a nice dj booth an we check every thing in front of working we also do a small soundcheck and when the dj is ready he"s off.somthimes its the dj who is incompetent because he don't know the materials and than i asked myself what's he doing but you got that with bands also.When i go dj'ing i never take my stuf only a laptop 2 vinyl's and 10 realy vinyls because when you lose your bag whit al your hard to find vinul that sucks or someone drops stuff all over it.

respect the dj 

• January 2, 2012 3:59 AM CST
    • If you are a band who is looking to put something out on cassette or you know someone who might be interested, please send us your demo! We are a independent label based in Chicago, looking for new talent wherever we can find it.

Chicago Cassette Label Accepting Submissions

Cold Slice Cassettes, an independent record label out of Logan Square / Humboldt Park, Chicago specializing in Garage Rock, Lo-fi, Surf, Punk & Rockabilly, is currently seeking submissions from artists, new and old. If you or someone you know is looking to be released on cassette, please contact us.

How to send your demo, album, or submission:

• Have your samples and project info available on a site such as bandcamp, myspace, soundcloud, facebook, reverb nation, etc.
      • Send us an email with your projects information including any relevant links.  Please do not send mp3s in an email as they will be overlooked. (We don’t want to download anything that may harm us so send those links!)
      • Important info: We are looking for full releases of any length, live recordings, or singles for release on our upcoming compilations. We are looking for things we can add to our release queue right away. We prefer to be able to get your release in a lossless format.

Please send all submissions to:

Cold Slice Cassettes 
      2502 N Ridgeway 
      Chicago, IL 60647
      Coldslicecassettes@gmail.com 

Find us on: 
      Tumblr: http://www.coldslicecassettes.tumblr.com 
      Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=100003122773826 
      Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/575729652

• January 1, 2012 11:12 PM CST
    • Thanks SMF!

-A

SMF said:

THEE DIRTYBEATS EP

This is a free download from Garagepunk.com members THEE DIRTYBEATS. 

Listen to it... 

• January 1, 2012 4:37 PM CST
    • HOW COULD I FORGET ?!  BOB SEGER - "RAMBLIN' GAMBLIN' MAN".

"You can have your FUCKING world , see ya 'round !" ("You can have your funky world...").

John Battles said:

There were a few misheard F-Bombs in the 60's.

Bobby Fuller Four - "I Fought The Law"  "I miss my baby and a good fuck" ("..and her GOOD FUN.". ). Yes , The BF4 DID record a version with an "F- Bomb" , but , of course , that was not the hit single version. IF THEY'D HAVE DONE THAT , BOBBY MIGHT HAVE BEEN MURDERED SOONER THAN HE ACTUALLY WAS.

Mitch Ryder and The Detroit Wheels - "Sock It To Me , Baby"  "Every time you kiss me , hits me like a FUCK!")  ("Hits me like a punch.".).

And the FAR lesser known Ron Haydock's "99 Chicks" - "99 Chicks , and it's just my luck , ain't one o' these chicks I'd want to FUCK!". Again , there was a dirty version , and a clean version (Where the F- word is replaced by brief silence.) , but , all 37 people who heard the original single when it came out , did not hear an F-Bomb.

Oh , yeah , there's "The King of Fuh" by Brute Force. It was on Apple Records. Does'nt mean it would have got airplay if he had'nt said "Fuh King" over and over ....

The Who's version of Mose Allison's "Young Man Blues" must have got some FM airplay , even tho' Daltrey says "They got sweeeeeeeeet FUCK - ALL !!!". That's not a phrase commonly used in the States , so Deejays could have said it was something else when The FCC came a- knockin'.

My Dad had a business associate that told me , back in the 50's , "You were'nt cool at my school unless you'd heard that new Gene Vincent record , "Lotta Lovin'" , that goes "Well , I wanna , wanna lotta , lotta FUGGIN' !"....Of course , Gene did'nt say that , and he did'nt say "Fuggin'' on "Woman Love" , either , but , as if almost losing his leg was'nt bad enough , between the censors and the Musician's Union , Gene  had virtually no career at all in The U.S. by the very early 60's.