Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• December 30, 2011 12:58 AM CST
    • Fleshtones - "We Remember The Ramones"

• December 30, 2011 12:53 AM CST
    • Absolutely. When The Creation played in New York , rumors abound that ex - Birds/Creation members , Ron Wood and Kim Gardner (Who , sadly , passed away before the gig.) were due to make guest appearances..

The Creation played Chicago the same night as The Stones. While rumors did'nt get around about Woodie turning up ,he's been known to do so.

The Birds have a great bit part in "The Deadly Bees". 

SarahJayne said:

If you like the Creation, you'll prob. like the (British) Birds as well. Ronnie Wood <3

• December 29, 2011 11:55 PM CST
    • If you like the Creation, you'll prob. like the (British) Birds as well. Ronnie Wood <3

• December 29, 2011 11:53 PM CST
    • I really like the Secret Affair's version of 'going to a go go'

• December 29, 2011 11:51 PM CST
    • The Favourite Sons!!!

And my fave mod revival band are the Merton Parkas.

• December 29, 2011 7:57 PM CST
    • We can't forget Georgie fames early sides! Simply stunning...and very mod.

A few names from Australia that were good during the 80's revival are...

The little murders

The sets

Stupidity

5:15

• December 29, 2011 6:30 PM CST
    • Artwoods and John's  Children , I agree with. I never thought of The Sect or Them as Mod , so much as hard R'n'B , but ,then ,  The Sect were all over the place. Funny thing , tho' , I heard some mod organizations hired The Sect and The Troggs for their events. Then comlained that they did'nt sound enough like their records....If they sounded any more like their records , now, they'd have to announce Winston Churchill's death between sets.

Dan ring said:

The prisoners are a great example of the mod sound. Another band that had some bite,also from the 80's was les elite.

...more on the power pop tip but a personal fave of the mod revival groups of the 80's was the teen beats! They had a great 7" out called I can't control myself.
      Thee Retroman said:

The Prisoners were a mod band with bite! and so were the Daggerman... the energy of these bands was how mod should sound. 

The Eyes

The Sorrows

Johns Children

Downliners Sect

The Wheels

Them

The Artwoods.......................

theres a few to start you off lol

• December 29, 2011 6:23 PM CST
    • You're right , but they had an edge , not that precious "Pretend to be Motown at it's most polite."sound .   I was lucky , I got to see them three times .

kopper said:

THE EMBROOKS

• December 29, 2011 4:44 PM CST

• The prisoners are a great example of the mod sound. Another band that had some bite,also from the 80's was les elite.
      ...more on the power pop tip but a personal fave of the mod revival groups of the 80's was the teen beats! They had a great 7" out called I can't control myself. Thee Retroman said:

The Prisoners were a mod band with bite! and so were the Daggerman... the energy of these bands was how mod should sound. 

The Eyes

The Sorrows

Johns Children

Downliners Sect

The Wheels

Them

The Artwoods.......................

theres a few to start you off lol

• December 30, 2011 12:43 AM CST
    • A few reasons why Ian McCulloch is one of the punkest motherfuckers alive:

"Speak before you think. The sentence will usually be better than the thought."

"You can't teach these posh people the true meaning of soul and belonging."

"All great art can be easily reached and can be understood. It’s not to be feared. And it’s all laced with humour. Shakespeare wrote for the man in the street."

"Mullets are the worst. And Bono did have a mullet, I mean God love him but he was a mullet-wearing dude."

"At heart I'm just a frustrated black soul singer in a white man's underpants."

"Talking to yourself is not a bad thing. Everybody has loads of voices rattling on in their head. The only difference is, I talk back to them. I don't know what quiet sounds like."

• December 29, 2011 4:21 PM CST
    • "Punk should destroy memories...not create them. This 'back-in-the-day' stuff is garbage." --Greg Ginn

• December 30, 2011 12:12 AM CST
    • The Stalin, Roosters, and Rockers (Japanese punk bands) - Burst City

The Strawberry Alarm Clock - Psych Out

• December 29, 2011 5:15 PM CST
    • the great roscoe gordon

• December 29, 2011 11:43 PM CST
    • MURDER CITY NIGHTS #13

The big beat from badsville: real rockabilly, blues, and primitive rock 'n roll.

• Mother Fuyer - Dirty Red
      • You Upset My Home - Joe Tex
      • I Ain't Drunk - Jimmy Liggins
      • Rockin' Bones - Elroy Dietzel & the Rhythm Bandits
      • Snake Pit - Hipbone Slim & the Knee Tremblers
      • Smokestack Lightnin' - Howlin' Wolf
      • Look At That Chick - Johnny Wright
      • Come Back Lord - Reverend Beat-Man & the Un-Believers
      • Car Troubles - The Del-Gators
      • Sumpin' Jumpin' - Bumps Blackwell
      • How To Do The Bacon Fat - Five Dollars
      • Mystery Train - Elvis Presley
      • Kill My Baby - Nick Curran and the Lowlifes
      • Death Letter - Son House
      • Leave My Kitten Alone - Little Willie John
      • Hot and Cold - Marvin Rainwater
      • Rock It - Thumper (George) Jones
      • Dog Wild - Jack Harris and the Arabians
      • Pink Thunderbird - Gene Vincent
      • I'm Coming Home - Johnny Horton
      • The Girl Can't Dance - Bunker Hill with Link Wray & His Wraymen
      • The Thing - The Creeds
      • Shortnin' Bread - The Readymen
      • Rollin' Stone - Muddy Waters

http://garagepunk.ning.com/profiles/blogs/murder-city-nights-13

• December 29, 2011 11:42 PM CST
    • As far as garage and psych are concerned:

Dead Skeletons - dead magick

Shapes Have Fangs - dinner in the dark

Black Keys - el camino

Cosmonauts - new psychic denim

Wooden Shjips - west

Liquid Sound Company - acid music for acid people

the Cosmic Dead - psychonaut

Dirty Beaches - badlands

Singapore Sling -never forever

Lumerians - transmalinnia

Screen Vinyl Image - strange behavior

Night Beats/UFO Club - split

Night Beats - lp

I'm including psych stuff that very post punk/goth/shoegaze influenced in this list. Lots of long songs that are heavy on electronic sounds - may or may not be to your liking : P.

• December 29, 2011 4:22 PM CST
    • great list

Planet Trash said:

My top 25 of 2011 is:

01. Royal Headache - Royal Headache
      02. Tan Bajo - Dávila 666
      03. Arabia Mountain - Black Lips
      04. Not Nothing - Xray Eyeballs
      05. Badlands - Dirty Beaches
      06. New Brigade - Iceage
      07. Carrion Crawler/The Dream - Thee Oh Sees
      08. Blood Pressures - The Kills
      09. Homo - The UV Race
      10. Too Young To Be In Love - Hunx And His Punx
      11. Taste Of Zimbabwe - Thee Oops
      12. Night Beats - Night Beats
      13. Only In Dreams - Dum Dum Girls
      14. Mazes - Moon Duo
      15. Rat City - Jack Oblivian
      16. Los Vigilantes - Los Vigilantes
      17. Jacker - Heavy Times
      18. Pop Up Yours - The Monsters
      19. No Future - Wax Idols
      20. IVXLCDM - Wounded Lion
      21. K-Holes - K-Holes
      22. LP - Acid Baby Jesus
      23. Share The Joy - Vivian Girls
      24. Celestial Lineage - Wolves In The Throne Room
      25. The Spits V - The Spits

• December 29, 2011 10:42 PM CST
    • A version of this was published in The Santa Fe New Mexican 
      Dec. 30, 2011

Here are my favorite albums of 2011. Do yourself a favor and go buy as many of these as possible, including — nay, especially — the ones you haven’t heard of.

*  Bad as Me by Tom Waits. In these difficult economic and political times, hearing music this excellent from an old master — who is well along the road to senior citizenship — is a sweet and welcome beacon in the fog, even when much of the music is dark and threatening. It’s reassuring that Waits is awake and creating, making music that still matters, growling with the alley cats, and bellowing like an immortal. Waits is such a monster that he attracts a whole boatload of star performers as sidemen, and yet you never once forget that Bad as Me is a Tom Waits album, not a guest-star extravaganza.

*  Wild Flag. This isn’t the rebirth of Sleater-Kinney, but it is definitely some of the most satisfying rock ’n’ roll I heard in 2011. Guitarist/singer Carrie Brownstein and drummer Janet Weiss of Sleater-Kinney are together again in this self-titled album. But wait, as the late-night TV ads say, there’s more! This band also includes singer/guitarist Mary Timony, who fronted a 1990s indie band called Helium, and Rebecca Cole of The Minders. Like S-K, Wild Flag makes wild and timeless rock ’n’ roll with brawn and brains.

*  Is That You in the Blue? by Dex Romweber Duo. Like this duo’s previous album, this is a minimalist masterpiece basically consisting of Romweber (formerly of The Flat Duo Jets, a pioneering roots-punk twosome) on vocals and guitar and his sister Sara Romweber bashing away on drums, subtly aided by other instruments in certain spots — an organ here, a sax there, standup bass here and there. There are lots of rocking stompers here, but my favorites are the slow, spooky ones highlighting Dex’s haunting croon.

*  Down in the Barnyard by Rachel Brooke. She’s the Wednesday Addams of country music. Her voice is sweet, almost cute. On most songs, the accompaniment is spare and simple -- mostly just her guitar. But listen to the lyrics on some of the songs on this unassuming little album, and you’ll realize she’s got a twisted, evil side. Like my favorite folk songs, these tunes are full of murder, sex, and mystery.

*  Savage Kings by Barrence Whitfield & The Savages. After a quarter decade, East Coast R & B and soul shouter Barrence Whitfield reunited last year with the core of his original band, The Savages, a move instigated by his old guitarist Peter Greenberg, now a Taos resident. Besides rereleasing their first self-titled album, Barrence and the boys recorded a mighty new album full of wild delights including The MC5’s “(Your Love Is Like a) Ramblin’ Rose”; “Willie Meehan,” a tale of an old boxing champ written by Greenberg and Taos crony Mike Mooney; and my personal favorite, the Lightnin’ Slim dirty-blues classic “It’s Mighty Crazy.”

*  Simon Stokes and The Heathen Angels. This self-titled album has everything I like about Simon Stokes — boozy biker rock, some credible honky- some mad folk-inspired ballads that would make your typical folkie wet his pants in fear. “Hey You” is an instant Stokes classic dealing with a confrontation between a man on edge who is basically irate with the world and someone who looks at him wrong. “Let’s Do Wrong Tonight,” a duet with Annette Zilinskas (formerly of The Bangles), is a 100-proof honky-tonker. And “Down for Death” is what Fairport Convention would have sounded like had the group been fronted by a homicidal motorcycle outlaw.

*  Rat City by Jack Oblivian. Memphis rocker Jack Yarber has played in respected outfits like The Compulsive Gamblers and, of course, The Oblivians, whence he got his stage name. This album is full of sweet, sweaty rockers, many of which are graced with understated pop sensibility. The title song is a crunchy blues-punk workout, while “Old Folks Boogie” sounds like John Lee Hooker filtered through a meat grinder. “Girl With the Bruises,” about an abused woman, could almost be a lost Paul Westerberg song. And there’s even a good-time version of Billy Swan’s “Lover Please.”

*  Unentitled by Slim Cessna’s Auto Club. This Denver band delivers that backwoods hellfire old-time religion on this album. The best songs are dark and spooky. “Hallelujah Anyway” is a twisted tale of an arranged wedding. “United Brethren” is an emotional song about a preacher losing his congregation to another church, which also happened to his great-grandfather. It’s not a problem most of us will ever face, but when singer Jay Munly pleads “Lord have mercy upon us” at the end of the song, in his lonesome tenor with just an autoharp behind him, only the most hard-hearted heathen would be unmoved.

*  Scandalous by Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears. Black Joe and his band from Austin gave one of the best live shows in Santa Fe this year and released one of the best albums. This sophomore rock ’n’ soul effort will glaze your ham. It’s got more hard rock and electric blues packed in its grooves than the group’s first album, Tell ’em What Your Name Is. The whole album is a blast, but the most fun has to be “Mustang Ranch,” a tale of a visit to the famous Nevada cathouse.

*  Cannibal Courtship by Dengue Fever. For the uninitiated, Dengue Fever sprang from the crazy, psychedelic music that flourished in Cambodia in the pre-Pol Pot years. But Dengue isn’t about faithfully recreating that music, which was brutally driven underground by the Khmer Rouge during the Killing Fields era. Fronted by Cambodian singer Chhom Nimol, this California band builds upon the music of artists like Pan Ron, Ros Sereysothea, and Sinn Sisamouth — the same way The Rolling Stones built upon the foundation laid down by Muddy Waters and Chuck Berry.

Honorable mention:
      *  Gorilla Rose by Kid Congo & The Pink Monkey Birds 
      *  El Santo Grial: La Pistola Piadosa by Slackeye Slim
      *  Ersatz GB by The Fall
      *  Bad Ingredients by Scott H. Biram
      *  Crazy Clown Time by David Lynch
      *  Go-Go Boots by Drive-By Truckers
      *  Louisiana Sun by Mama Rosin and Hip Bone Slim
      *  Eleven Eleven by Dave Alvin 
      * Decent People by The Imperial Rooster
      * Boogie the Church Down by Juke Joint Pimps/Gospel Pimps

• December 29, 2011 10:37 PM CST
    • What a lot of the "anti-mainstream" sect of punk rockers fail to realize most of the time is, all of those groups (Clash/Ramones/Iggy/Cramps, etc.) strove to achieve commercial success in their lifetimes, but didn't have much luck. Or they just had really bad marketing teams at their record labels. Or the record labels didn't know how to market them.

• December 29, 2011 5:56 PM CST
    • as opinions are like assholes, "everyone has one". this one would like to add; in the end it really depends on who, and how long, you would like to support a given artist or musician...i.e. Clash/Ramones/Iggy/Cramps. every one has to make a living. i would prefer one to have success during their lifetime not after they are dead. i think Mr. Childish hit upon this with the line: "and Joe Stummer's turning over in his grave"!!!
      Sam Sinister said:

Wow, what a tired old argument/discussion... no disrespect to the OP, but this is really a breeding ground for silly arguments. My opinion? Punk is a style of music, the style doesn't change when notoriety and/or money enter the equation. You either play it or you don't.

• December 29, 2011 7:50 PM CST
    • I am curious to know if any members of the Red Aunts are still playing music today.

• December 29, 2011 7:49 PM CST
    •    Black Oak Arkansas - "Hot 'n' Nasty" - "They call me Hot 'n'Nasty , they call me Mr. Fancy."

When I was a kid , I thought it was "They call me Mr. Pansy ! ".

Muddy Waters - "Deep Down in Florida"  - "Yeah , if we're not too busy , I believe I'll  stop in on you , baby , sometime." ( I think that's what he said , BUT , I heard it as "I believe I'll get myself circumcised !").

Rolling Stones - "Citadel" "Candy and Cathy , hope you both are well."  "Kenya's happy , hope you both are well.".

"2000 Man" "Oh , Daddy , proud of your planet"   "Oh , Daddy , proud of your phallic".

"Out of Time"  "You thought you were a clever girl"   "You thought you were a leather girl.".

"You Can't Always Get What You Want"   "I saw her today at the reception "   "I SAW HER TITTY at the reception".

"Shattered"- "All this chitter chatter , chitter chatter about shmatter , shmatter , shmatter , I can't keep it away on 7th Avenue. "    "All this chitter chatter , chitter chatter , about smack ,smack , smack , I can't give it away on 7th avenue." 

"Sympathy For The Devil" - "Killed The Czar and his Ministers" "Killed Thor and his ministers." 

"Star , Star" " You'll get John Wayne before he dies."  "I guessed your weight before each night.".

• December 29, 2011 6:46 PM CST
    • I knew the bit about Armitage Shanks because I'd seen a cartoon in Viz that said 'You can't miss with Armitage Shanks!". Would'nt have known they were a top - line BOG , however.

John Battles said:

I can't believe anyone would have thought Thee Stash was actually the then - defunct CLASH in diguise. Of course , in the states , we did'nt understand the significance of "We're Selling Jeans For The U.S.A." - the ad w/"Should I Should I Stay or Should I Go"did'nt run , here. The Blitzkrieg (Bop) of Punk (and related) songs in commercials and at the grocery stores had'nt happened , yet. I did hear the Buzzcocks in a commercial before The Ramones , tho'.....This is one of the only Childish records I held on to.

there are really all sorts (I have a wide range of 45's but my filing is a bit trashed at the moment to have a good trawl and give you somke other names )  ...anyway ...heres one of my all time faves ... Thee Stash -

the great thing about this particular 45 is that if you DJ it - most "I wanna hear a hit" fuelled herberts still think that it is the Clash   [ ha ha ]  ...well it's all they ever get if any of 'em ever ask me to play the Clash anyhow ... ; )   get boppin'

the UK site Damaged Goods is a top-fab repository for all things 'Childish' - they sometimes re-release olde stuff - nice bunch of peeps ... and helpful too

this is also a related 45 from the Headcoatees - enjoy  [ the headcoatees is a female ensemble consisting of a range fine young ladies associated with the headcoates ]

here below is ' armitage shanks '  [ for those not in the know - armitage shanks is a very well known make of top-quality gentlemens vitrified china urinals as often found in public lavatories ... as i understand it - armitage shanks consists primarily of  Headcoates / mighty caesars etc... roadies - although obviously don't quote me on that as my info here may be incorrect  ]

have fun searching around

• December 29, 2011 6:41 PM CST
    • I can't believe anyone would have thought Thee Stash was actually the then - defunct CLASH in diguise. Of course , in the states , we did'nt understand the significance of "We're Selling Jeans For The U.S.A." - the ad w/"Should I Should I Stay or Should I Go"did'nt run , here. The Blitzkrieg (Bop) of Punk (and related) songs in commercials and at the grocery stores had'nt happened , yet. I did hear the Buzzcocks in a commercial before The Ramones , tho'.....This is one of the only Childish records I held on to.

there are really all sorts (I have a wide range of 45's but my filing is a bit trashed at the moment to have a good trawl and give you somke other names )  ...anyway ...heres one of my all time faves ... Thee Stash -

the great thing about this particular 45 is that if you DJ it - most "I wanna hear a hit" fuelled herberts still think that it is the Clash   [ ha ha ]  ...well it's all they ever get if any of 'em ever ask me to play the Clash anyhow ... ; )   get boppin'

the UK site Damaged Goods is a top-fab repository for all things 'Childish' - they sometimes re-release olde stuff - nice bunch of peeps ... and helpful too

this is also a related 45 from the Headcoatees - enjoy  [ the headcoatees is a female ensemble consisting of a range fine young ladies associated with the headcoates ]

here below is ' armitage shanks '  [ for those not in the know - armitage shanks is a very well known make of top-quality gentlemens vitrified china urinals as often found in public lavatories ... as i understand it - armitage shanks consists primarily of  Headcoates / mighty caesars etc... roadies - although obviously don't quote me on that as my info here may be incorrect  ]

have fun searching around

• December 29, 2011 4:13 PM CST
    • We are now almost 30 weeks into our weekly hour long podcast featuring the absolute best of mental rock and roll. No nostalgic crap, just real mental rockabilly, psychobilly, garage trash and more.

New episodes are uploaded every Sunday, the time often varies. You can stream at Twin Cities Rockabilly Online, subscribe at Feedburner and find us at Facebook

The best of mental rock and roll. No nostalgic crap, just real mental rockabilly, psychobilly, garage trash and more.