Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• December 30, 2011 8:43 PM CST
    • I checked that (Early) lineup. I've heard of maybe three of those bands....But , I guess I'm too old to INDIE - Rock'n'Roll.

• December 30, 2011 8:31 PM CST
    • Kopper , good question. You brought up much to consider , here , concerning the topic of when did you /I / they decide to be zorch , Daddy - O , GO PUNK !!!

For me , love came in spurts....You know , I first read about Punk Rock in that Summer '77 Time magazine feature. I did'nt know what to make of it , tho ' I got a chuckle out of Dave Vanian and Captain Sensibles obvious "Taking the piss" attire and attitude. They called him Dave "Transyl " Vanian in the article , Never saw him referred to as that , again. I was only 12 going on 13 , I did'nt get it . Still , I was intrigued , I thought the clothes and hairstyles were hilarious , because I was putting down something I did'nt understand. There were some great Punk exploitation mags at the time , as well as decent coverage in Creem , Hit Parader  , (Sometimes) Rolling Stone and especially ROCK SCENE (www.rockscene.com   DO IT , NOW ! )....So , all that got me interested , but , you have to remember ,  the music itself was NOT being played on the radio or even in record stores that carried in sparingly ...George Gimarc's vastly influential "Rock'n'Roll Alternative"show on KZEW Radio in Dallas did'nt debut til '79 or early '80 , I think.   I was very curious when I heard The Sex Pistols would be playing in Dallas in January , '78. Tickets were only $3.50 !  I even asked my folks if I could go. tHEY SAID , HELLLLLL , NO ! I WAS'NT EVEN AWARE , THO' , THAT MY BROTHER HAD SEEN THE RAMONES IN FT. WORTH (WITH SUPPORT BY THE RUNAWAYS , SANS CHERIE.) , SEVERAL MONTHS EARLIER.  I did'nt actively seek it out , after that , for two years. There was ONE kid in my Jr. High School , a transplant from England , who was a dyed in the wool Punk Rock fan . But , this was after The Sex Pistols split up , Sid and Nancy died , etc.  People were starting to say "Punk is Dead" , but , it would'nt be the party line for a long time.

I was still listening to The Beatles , The Stones , The Who , stuff like that (Which made me enough of a pariah at my school .)....But , I found a very intriguing article in an old "Story of Pop " magazine ('72 , as I recall. Maybe '73.) called "Punk Rock : The History of The Scuz Bands".... I was shocked , "There was Punk Rock back in the 60's ?". The article (Which I wish I had , today.) covered bands that had hit records - Sam The Sham and The Pharoahs , Count V , Blues Magoos , The Seeds , Electric Prunes , and other Bizarro World obscurities like The Chocolate Watchband , Magic Mushrooms , Red Crayola and The Familiar Ugly......

Another new world had opened up to me ,and at least , SOME of it , I could still hear on the radio. I was already aware that The MC5 ,Slade , The New York Dolls and early Alice Cooper , to name a few , were considered Proto - Punk , but , I found myself quickly taking to whatever mid - 60's Punk I could get my ears around....By 1980 , my Brother had started a Punk band (Punk was dead , but it would'nt lie down.) , and he was bringing home records by more new bands than I could even  keep up with , but , when I finally heard it , I GOT it. George Gimarc's show was kicking up a storm , and anything 5 years old or less was considered contemporary. When I finally heard The Pistols and The Clash's first albums , I thought , "This is what all the fuss was about ? This is just good Rock'n'Roll!".). I saw "Rock'n'Roll High School" when it came out.I have to admit , I did'nt get it with  The Ramones , at the time. I was'nt used to hearing someone singing under the beat like that. Of course , I became a huge fan , later. I was hooked , now , but , not just on Punk , as you noted , there was , of course , New Wave  , Neo - Psych and Garage , Rockabilly Revival , Post Punk , and more.I liked Two Tone /Ska and the new Mod bands (Well , not THAT new.) , but I got off a lot of that stuff (Tho' I still like The Jam , and came this close to seeing them in '82 , but , they broke up before a Dallas booking was confirmed....).

WHEN HARDCORE MOVED IN , I LIKED SOME OF IT. DID'NT LIKE THE VIOLENCE TOO MUCH. STILL DON'T. DID'NT GET IT WITH THE SKATEBOARDS , EITHER. I'D PUT MINE AWAY , FOR GOOD ,   AROUND THE TIME I FIRST READ ABOUT PUNK ROCK. OK , IF THAT MEANS I HAVE TO TURN IN MY PUNK ROCK CREDENTIALS (Whatever they are.) , fine , so be it. But , I could always find other things to listen to. The mid to late 80's just were'nt a shitstorm of cool bands , like in the very early 80's. I ACTUALLY BECAME A BIGGER FAN OF THE 70'S pUNK STUFF , LATER , AS MUCH OF IT WAS STILL HARD TO FIND FOR YEARS , BUT I WAS, BY THEN , A BIGGER FAN OF ROCKABILLY AND GARAGE PUNK. I DID'NT HAVE IMMEDIATE ACCESS TO UNDERGROUND RECORD STORES ,  AND "VINTAGE" CLOTHING STORES , OR EVEN THRIFT STORES , UNTIL I WAS IN COLLEGE. But , to me , it was'nt about dressing "Punk". If I could have afforded a leather jacket at the time , I could have passed for "Punk" , but , most people I met who were still into Punk were cool , and dug my clothes. I put my own outfits together , it was'nt like them , or anybody.   I could have dressed lame and saved myself  a lot of grief , but , it's a crazy thing , last I'd checked , this was America.

• December 30, 2011 5:28 PM CST
    • I have a blog post about this very subject! Click here. Although that just covers me getting into punk & new wave in the early '80s, not any of the garage-type stuff, which I didn't really get into seriously until the early '90s, after my obsession with hardcore punk & post-punk noise throughout most of the '80s.

• December 30, 2011 4:11 PM CST
    • Was it all at once, was it bit by bit? Did you take a break when hardcore was the norm?

For me it was the skaters at my high-school ('80) who listened to anything different. Two brothers turned me onto the Sex Pistols (who I thought were hilarious, but only as a black humor comedy group, not as a band. All these years later, I have enormous respect for Lydon, but that opinion still holds) and tried to get me interested in Black Flag (who would have to wait 'til far into my senior year before I heard them.). I already was into stuff like Devo and the B-52's, but the breakthrough for me was hearing the 1st Clash album the summer before my senior year, wow!, and the Nuggets collection that Fall at a friend's house (which was ultimately the more powerful argument for non-commercial sounds). Because hardcore was everywhere (still can't stand it) I took things at a slower pace, finding out about the Butthole Surfers/Birthday Party/Scratch Acid, then going into Blues, Soul, Ska, etc. and 60s Punk/Rockabilly comps before coming back to Punk (Aussie Punk was vital to me, and remains so). About then the whole Mummies/Gories/Oblivians/Japan thing happened. I did get burned out around '99, but the slow pace I kept let me keep my interest in the long run.

• December 30, 2011 3:33 PM CST
    • Yeah , he's got black tape on the swastika ! But , he often wore his "Destroy" T-shirt uncovered on stage.

Mark George Harrison said:

I havent but my mate, a Stones mega fan, reckons its one of the best concerts they ever recorded, apart from Jagger wearing a Vivienne westwood t-shirt. apparently he looks self-conscious all gig and only takes his jacket off right at the end.

• December 30, 2011 3:15 PM CST
    • Yeah , MikeL , I have it. I had to get it , for closure's sake. You see , my Cousin and I were standing in line for (Possible.) tickets to that same show , July , '78 , Ft. Worth. The Stones had not announced any dates on the "Some Girls'' tour in The Dallas/Ft. Worth area , until , at the last minute , tickets went on sale for a small venue show at The Will Rogers Theatre (I'm told it holds , or held about 2000 people ,  but the one time I was there , it looked more like a 500 - 1000 SEATER , but , I was probably mistaken.). The location tickets would be sold at was'nt even announced , presumably to distribute tickets evenly without riotous conditions. YEAH , RIGHT. I FIGURED OUT , YEARS LATER , THE SCALPERS GOT MOST OF THE TICKETS. THEY CLOSED UP SALES AFTER ABOUT 150 PEOPLE WENT INSIDE , AT THE LOCATION WE OPTED FOR , TO GIVE IT A TRY....And there was only one other (Also undisclosed) ticket location. Did'nt make sense to me.... All three of my Brothers got tickets from friends at school , for face , which I remember being $10. A LOT OF THEIR FRIENDS SCORED TICKETS , TOO. I WAS STILL IN Jr. High , where The STONES WERE "QUEERS".

RECENTLY , I SAW A COUPLE OF DVD Bootlegs of PART of the show , almost checked 'em out , just to see what I'd missed. But , this legit release was worth the wait. It's a great performance , beautifully filmed with fine sound. Plus , in the crowd shots , you expect to see people crushing each other , but , everyone seems to have room , and the selfishness and violence disguised as "Fun", which  permeates shows today , is nowhere to be seen. The band insisted on minimum security , so , the fans were on their honor.  This strategy worked. Of course , The Stones still do small venue gigs , but , there's no way in HELL they would'nt beef up security. I have , and you have , seen 'em turn up the intimidation tactics for FAR , FAR MORE OBSCURE BANDS.

The Stones , for a while , had a new lease on life (The Scorcese film and the" Bigger Bang" album are certainly comparable.). And , yeah , I got my closure.

Unlike "Ladies and Gentlemen" , there are extras , An extended TV interview with Horrendo Revolver , and the historically important , but , mostly awful Stones on SNL performance , with former funnyman , Dan Akyroyd , as Tom Snyder doing a mock interview with Jagger that's very funny , and , at times , could pass for a real , lost "Snyder-Jagger" interview. 

I was a little letdown by "Ladies and Gentlemen" , only because I expected it to be a vast improvement on the bootleg copy I have ....It's certainly must - viewing for fans of that era.

Much of that was shot in Ft.Worth , at the 17,000 seater Tarrant County Convention Center , now a shoebox by today's standards for bands of their stature.

I saw the movie after it's (Major cities only) initial run , in Peoria , Illinois.

But , it's a case of , decide what it is you really want or need. I bought the excellent Ed Sullivan shows set (4 of the 6 episodes , in full , that they appeared on.) , only to find out , they followed it up with a new set that includes all 6 episodes they appeared on !        The sets also include Tom Jones , Petula Clark , and even The Muppets (Don't laugh. They've got a Garage Punk band , here , that could make an ass out of this year's favorites.) , and an Aqua Velva commecial with Mamie Van Doren !

Also , The Live in Ft. Worth '78 set was released , after the DVD LINGERED IN THE PRE - xMAS HAZE , as a DVD/CD package , AND THERE'S A CRAZY EXPENSIVE BOX SET THAT I THINK ONLY ADDS  A 45 and maybe a book..

If they have to bleed us like that , I'd like to know that it's going to The Red Cross OR SOMETHING.

Anyway , if you're a fan of "Some Girls" , arguably their last great album , until "A Bigger Bang" came on , almost 30 years later....I highly recommend it.

• December 30, 2011 2:43 PM CST
    • I havent but my mate, a Stones mega fan, reckons its one of the best concerts they ever recorded, apart from Jagger wearing a Vivienne westwood t-shirt. apparently he looks self-conscious all gig and only takes his jacket off right at the end.

• December 30, 2011 2:39 PM CST
    • This is the title to a DVD that I just bought, and it is a concert film from the Stones' 1972 tour.  It's a very good concert film, and it shows the Stones' at the tail end of my favorite era for that band.  

BTW, has anyone here checked out the DVD that shows the Stones during their 1978 "Some Girls" tour?  I'm going to get it later.

• December 30, 2011 3:22 PM CST
    • Nice mix o' stuff, thanks!

SarahJayne said:

As far as garage and psych are concerned:

Dead Skeletons - dead magick

Shapes Have Fangs - dinner in the dark

Black Keys - el camino

Cosmonauts - new psychic denim

Wooden Shjips - west

Liquid Sound Company - acid music for acid people

the Cosmic Dead - psychonaut

Dirty Beaches - badlands

Singapore Sling -never forever

Lumerians - transmalinnia

Screen Vinyl Image - strange behavior

Night Beats/UFO Club - split

Night Beats - lp

I'm including psych stuff that very post punk/goth/shoegaze influenced in this list. Lots of long songs that are heavy on electronic sounds - may or may not be to your liking : P.

• December 30, 2011 3:06 PM CST
    • THEE DIRTYBEATS EP

This is a free download from Garagepunk.com members THEE DIRTYBEATS. 

Listen to it... 

• December 30, 2011 2:17 PM CST
    • Did anyone mention Bass Drum of Death's Gb City on Fat Possum Records?

It is a good garage rocker for sure.

• December 30, 2011 3:09 PM CST
    • I enjoyed the book. then i lent it to two of my friend who both did. Really fun read.

• December 30, 2011 2:46 PM CST
    • Ive had 'you got some monkey attitude' going round in my head for days now! It is doing me in!!!

• December 30, 2011 2:44 PM CST
    • David Johansen

Sylvain Sylvain

Walter Lure

Mick Jones

Johnny Rotton

Cheetah Chrome

The Rolling Stones

I'm 50 and can't imagine ever listening to anything else but a little RnR...

• December 30, 2011 2:25 PM CST
    • That sums it up really well, SarahJayne:)

SarahJayne said:

Two words: Kim Fowley

• December 30, 2011 2:09 PM CST
    • 'friend' me and I can then PM you the Shindig rate card

• December 30, 2011 1:57 PM CST
    • Oh, yeah, it's very trendy now, but we saw the same thing happen in '95, when the Gories/Oblivions/Mummies were long-gone and the left-overs were mainly 3rd-string types. The press esp. likes to have a flavor of the month. The wild groups seem to be an endangered species. This site is great for community, but it doesn't help that record stores (filled w/ real vinyl) are few in number now, there's no way to connect w/ friends, listen to music and get turned onto new sounds. Now instead of brick and mortar stores we see words up on a screen, and somehow it takes away from the emotional impact. Gettin' a li'l off-topic here, but my point is that it's tough to find ballsy relevant rock & roll, while it's trendy to like bland 'retro' bands...

• December 30, 2011 12:46 PM CST
    • You're a man after my own heart! I still miss Joey and Dee Dee...

Mardy Pune said:

"We didn't have a positive song until we wrote Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue" - Dee Dee Ramone

• December 30, 2011 12:44 PM CST
    • Hip?

Hip is hard to nail.
      {“If you have to ask, you’ll never know.”- attributed to Dizzy Gillespie}

It can’t be taught.
      Hip suspects words and manifestos, and has not developed a recruitment pitch since it doesn’t recruit.

Hip is an understated state of grace that does not necessarily wish the world well.

Hip is self-sufficiency, Jack.

Hip has re-wired the nervous system to accomodate the overload of ecstasy.

-from The Hip, by roy carr/brian case/fred dellar

• December 30, 2011 11:55 AM CST
    • One of my fav songs is Wily Coyote by thee Mighty Caesars.

• December 30, 2011 11:48 AM CST
    • Show #355: "The Eggman Collection #107"

Every 3 weeks I do a series of shows called The Eggman Collection which is a big potpourri of every song I've ever liked in my life...EVER! It's literally a huge mixing bowl full of songs written onto tiny pieces of paper. Over 15,000 songs that I've been compiling for the past 20-plus years of my life. Every song I've ever liked has gone into this bowl, and every three weeks I draw them out one-by-one and play them for you in no particular order. A mix of everything and anything I like, no matter what genre, era, style or year of release...if I like it, then I'll play it! No repeats of the same song ever! Tune in tonight (Friday) at 10pm EST for the 107th installment of The Eggman Collection and hear bands and artists like: Blops, Bee Gees, Irmin, Glass Harp, Zerfas, Boudewijn De Groot, Aphrodit'es Child, LSD, The Rascals, Spirit, Dick Wagner & The Frosts, Phluph, Henry Cow, Forest, Plastic Penny, Cream, The Kinks, Deep Purple, Golden Earrings, Zoot, and many many others!!!

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 50?sk=wall … or check out my website (to be updated someday): http://eggmanrulez.com/
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Watch my playlist unravel before your eyes LIVE here: http://wscafm.radioactivity.fm/

Egg