Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• December 11, 2011 10:30 AM CST
    • Here's a shot from yesterday's Violent SHifters show at  Bike/Scooter shop in St. Paul, MN!  Even though there weren't many bikes on the road with the snow and cold, we were hotter than hell inside with bikes and scoots all around!

evil erik said:

My band The Violent SHifters are all gearheads/bikers with songs about cars, bikes, semi trucks,steam trains,killing, fighting and fucking!

Here is an interview that features our song "Hot Rod Killing Machine" We are working on a Garage Punk page and are on Facebook and Reverb Nation for now!

The Violent Shifters Interview at Black Mass Car Show 2010 from Erik Johnson on Vimeo.

• December 11, 2011 10:18 AM CST
    • I don't mind twee...liking indie pop doesen't threaten my masculinity...'I Want To Hold Your Hand' was 'twee' although they probably meant 'I want to ride your brains out'...I have this concept of music...the first stuff I heard was the early '60's pop stuff and that included The Beatles,Stones,Kinks,Who,Pretty Things,Yardbirds,Animals,Motown,Small Faces...I followed that through the years with the blues rock,psych and heavy/underground bands...by the 'early-mid '70's' things seemed to be running out of steam but along came pub rock...Dr. Feelgood,Eddie and the Hotrods,etc. and we bought 'Nuggets'...punk/new wave was the excitement of the '60's again and then by the time Orange Juice 'invented' 'indie' it was the excitement of the'60's yet again...I read an article,possibly in Mojo,that mentioned 80's indie as being more or less '60's inspired and I agree...also shoegaze and Madchester...in my head I live back in the 1960's...does this make any sense?It does to me...I'm so glad I came into this world in 1955...

• December 11, 2011 9:41 AM CST
    • The NME C86 tape was one of the ones I didn't send off for (can't figure out how,'cos I sent off for loads of them) but recently I got a d/l of it...people seem to think it was all 'jangle pop' but there were some bands on it playing a sort of 'angular' Beefheart/Pere Ubu/Gang of Four inspired post punk style of music as well...I liked both kinds of sound...listening to John Peel several nights a week on the radio nurtured a 'no boundaries' attitude in me...I wasn't one of those who complained 'cos the whole show every night wasn't their own personal playlist...I can't take people who support a band or a style of music like a football team,to the exclusion of everything else.

• December 11, 2011 10:10 AM CST
    • 12/9/11

Download or stream the entire Dec. 9 show right here. Find Zero Hour on Facebook here.

Holiday Cheer – The Martinis
      Don’t Believe in Christmas – The Sonics
      Will the Coffin Be Your Santa Claus – Rev. J.M. Gates
      Christmas Eve Can Kill You – The Everly Brothers
      We Got the Eggnog If You Got the Whiskey – The Hickoids

Jealous Heart – Jack Oblivian
      Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On – Timmy Thomas
      Gimme That Wine – The Rats
      Take Up the Slack Daddy-O – The Sabres
      Showman Twang Tiki Gods – The Dustaphonics
      It May be The Last Time (live) – James Brown

Bad Girl – South Filthy
      Surrender Road – Wheels on Fire
      Teenage Girls – The Bad Sports
      Vendidi Fumar – Churchwood
      I Hear Somebody Cry – The Tandoori Knights
      Milk Intrigue – Curlee Wurlee
      Spazztastic – Johnny Throttle
      Choc Ice – Janey & The Ravemen

Local Lunchbox
      Ryan King interview
      Gimme, Gimme, Gimme, Gimme – Ramma Lamma
      Rock ‘n Roll Lady – Ramma Lamma 
      Cheatin’ Blues – Rabble Rabble

Meltdown – The Shotglass Killers
      Indiana Girls – The Happy Thoughts
      You’re So Strange – The Zippers
      Hold on Me – Mikal Cronin
      Let’s Do a Slow Dance – Dave “Baby” Cortez

Another Man’s Eyes – Delaney Davidson
      Scout-A-Boo – The Spartan Dreggs
      Cowboys & Indians – Thee Spivs
      Too Many Docile Minds – Sir Douglas Quintet
      Everything You Took – Lee Bains III & the Glory Fires
      Bottom to Top – Henry’s Funeral Shoe
      Yearn 'n Burn 'n Heart – DM Bob & the Deficits
      Ain’t Got a Thing – Sonny Burgess

I Walked All Night – The Embers
      Far, Far Away – The Dukes of Hamburg
      Phantom Dragster – The Neanderthals
      Serve the Man – The Revelators
      Let There Be Drums – Thee Gravemen
      Don’t Start Crying Now – Hasil Adkins

We Had Love – The Scientists
      A+ - Figures of Light
      River Knows Me – Vernon Selavy
      Ramona – The Alarm Clocks
      That Time of Day – Eddy Current Suppression Ring

Blow Um Mau Mau – The Monsters
      That’s All She Wrote – The Hollywood Sinners
      I Don’t Love You – The Montesas
      Crawl – The Cynics
      Saturday Let Me Down Again – Muck & the Mires
      Gambled & Lost – Terry Anderson & The Olympic Ass-Kickin’ Team
      Comedianne – The Tripwires

• December 11, 2011 9:30 AM CST
    • The fitted “musicians” ear plug work well.  Get a filter at about -15db.  Anymore and you may as well be using foam plugs.

• December 11, 2011 9:25 AM CST
    • Yardbirds era Jeff Beck is optimal.  The gear is locatable but they only made two of his hands.

• December 11, 2011 9:22 AM CST
    • The elusive search for "tone". This is such a subjective topic. I'm proud to say that regardless of what kind of night I've had on stage, for someone to come up after a show and say "man, I love your tone"...to me that's the best compliment I can get all night!

Depending on my mood, I run my rig two different ways. 

1. Reverend Club King w/ P90s through a modded Boss Super Overdrive into my Vox AC30 (Celestion Greenbacks)

2. Reverend Club King w/ TV Jones pickups through a Keely modded TS9 into a Peavy Classic 50 with 4x10" speakers. 

I use TAD (Tube Amp Doctor) EL84s in both my rigs. On the preamp side, it's such a hodge podge, I've no idea what's in there anymore...but I know I like it. 

• December 11, 2011 5:54 AM CST
    • I saw this discussion get closed on pschotic reaction, so, here it is again.

what do consider a great guitar tone and how could you achieve it

ie you really got me/all day and all of the night: did some research and it appears its a harmony meteor through an eplico amp (either 8 or 20 watts) with "a single slach from the bottom to the center of the speaker so it was all torn up but still attatched" (acording to dave davies) you could recreate this with a harmony or similar hollowbody through the vox ac4 with either a slashed speaker or a torn bag streatched over the speaker.

• December 11, 2011 4:10 AM CST
    • Yeah, maybe 5% of the people viewing the commercial actually recognize the song, but isn't it a good opportunity to exposure the remaining 95% to some decent music? Especially since the commercial isn't going to affect that 5%...

• December 11, 2011 3:48 AM CST
    • Got two 'new' episodes squared away and a new page as well:

"ZR Exhumed Ep 57: Angie and the Car Wrecks" This is an episode that was lost in the robot abyss for a while (like EP 56), but featured an interview and live performance from local act Angie and the Car Wrecks. We also gave away tickets to a Nekromantix gig that night.

"Zorch Radio Episode 75: For Adults Only" Valentin from Rockin Psycho Records called in to talk about his California Psychobilly compilation and some upcoming releases from the label. I also found some Adult themed records on a recent wax hunt and took them out for their first real night out.

Figured things might get a bit chronologically confusing with all the old episodes being uploaded, mixed in with the new, so I set up an "Archive" tab which is a quick directory to all of the uploaded episodes. www.zorchradio.com/archive

Plus we're on Twitter now. Wa-fuggin-hoo.

www.twitter.com/zorchradio @ZorchRadio

• December 11, 2011 3:40 AM CST
    • Fantastic...un-bloody believable!

• December 11, 2011 3:34 AM CST
    • An early favourite for me was Verden Allen's organ sound in Mott the Hoople...Garth Hudson in  The Band...Ian Maclagan's piano in The Faces...

• December 10, 2011 5:05 PM CST
    • There'll be repeats , here. It's hard to nail it down to just one.

Rock'n'Roll / R'n'B Piano - Little Richard , Jerry Lee Lewis , Fats Domino , Esquerita , Screamin' Jay Hawkins , Amos Milburn , Ray Charles , Charlie Rich , Paul Revere , etc.

"Garage" - Daryl Hooper (Seeds) , "Little Frank" Rodriguez ( ? and The Mysterians) , Augie Meyer (Sir Douglas Quintet ) , Ned Torney ( Chocolate Watchband , Syndicate of Sound , etc.) , OTHERS , i'M SURE....

None of the above - Alan Price , Ian MacLagan , Jon Lord , Dave Greenfield (Stranglers) , Ian Stewart , Doug Ingle (Iron Butterfly) , The guy(s) from THEM. Forgot their names , sorry  , Kris Cummings (Joe King Carrasco and The Crowns) .

Best Keyboard Player that You May Not Know Ever Played Keyboards.-

Roky Erickson. Listen to the keyboard solo on "Hurricane Fighter Plane" by Red Krayola.

Roky now enjoys playing the organ at home.

• December 10, 2011 11:05 PM CST
    • Maybe it never got reissued or put way on the back burner. I saw in the bins today while shopping, their "Never Mind The Sex Pistols, Here's The Gizmos" 45 selling for $40. I reluctantly passed on it for that price.

• December 10, 2011 4:23 PM CST
    •  I have'nt heard about this , but , thanks for the heads up. I have a couple of Gizmos reissues. They played here , in Chicago , once ,  maybe 6 to 8 years ago. It was the very early 80's lineup ,  I was told. Sounded great. People were actually dancing , and I don't mean MOSH - SHIT nonsense. It is'nt Kosher to dance to Rock'n'Roll , anymore , but it happened.

• December 10, 2011 10:40 PM CST
    • I love every show on here, but I've noticed that there are a few programmes we don't have. Namely, a weekly/monthly  music magazine format programme, radio documentary or even gigs recorded live, among others. I'd give my right arm to hear The Monks recorded live exclusively on here, before BBC 6 Music get it.

• December 10, 2011 8:46 PM CST
    • Favorite? Networking with awesome bands that are on the same page as you, awesome podcasts to have in the background while you do random work, and the people are funny sometimes

Least favorite is the fact that the group for Canucks is extremely slow. I'd love to see a super bustling Canadian group. I'd get some buddies on there, but my friends for the most part are top 40 fans.

• December 10, 2011 4:40 PM CST
    • I had a tape from this tour , in Dallas. Most of these tunes (Plus "Fridays" on "I'm The Man") sounded better than the album ! Jackson's good natured contempt (Which sounds like a contradiction , I know.) shines thru. " You could be someplace worse . You could be watching Bad Company.) , "You can't have bought the new album , cos you don't know much about looking sharp. I mean , you are pretty scruffy..."   Then , there's later examples I heard , myself - "I love Texas. It's great , a guy can go into a bar , and get called a fag." , " A guy walks into a bar with a duck under his arm. The bartender says , "What is this, a joke?". He could've done standup. I had all his early records , traded them in , and , years later , when I began to miss them , they were still readily availble , cheap. I saw the reformed Joe Jackson band , twice . Sounded great.

Sam Sinister said:

An oldie but a goodie, Joe Jackson's Look Sharp album is another big time favorite. If you've never heard it, I suggest you give it a listen!

• December 10, 2011 3:59 PM CST
    •  It's true that Tate's whereabouts were unknown , or little known , for decades. I remember reading an interview with David Johansen (I believe , when he was still in The Dolls . But maybe not. ) , where he said there was a great Soul singer that he liked , named Howard Tate , who "Died of a Heroin overdose a few years ago.". Now , in those pre - internet days , Johansen might have heard that , second hand , and took it to be true.

OKAY , some of you might not like what you're about to read , but , I saw Howard Tate , once. It was GOOD , no denying , but , I left about halfway thru. I'm just not much of a fan of that medium to slow tempo Soul , of the love song variety....Does'nt mean I don't like any of it , but it's not not my personal preference , which , I know , puts me in a minority.

I also was'nt feeling very well that night , so I opted to leave. He did do a couple of uptempo numbers , just not enough for my taste. He was on a bill with whatshername , the really acrobatic performer who has NO business looking as good as she does , but ,

I like it High  Energy , which a lot of people disagree with , and she fit the bill. Nothing to do with his singing , though , Tate was a fine singer.

• December 10, 2011 10:16 AM CST
    • Yeah, it's sad. That generation is going fast now, just like the WWII veterans.

• December 10, 2011 3:09 AM CST
    • Bad week for the blues. A few days before Howard died, Hubert Sumlin, Howlin' Wolf's old guitarist, passed to.

• December 10, 2011 10:05 AM CST
    • Show #352: "The Eggman Collection #106" playlist:

Matching Mole - "Starting In The Middle Of The Day We Can Drink Our Politics Away/Marchides/Nan True's Hole/Righteous Rhumba/Brandy As In Benj"
      Los Vidrios Quebrados - "Introduction To Life As Told By Uncle John"
      Glass Harp - "Child Of The Universe"
      High Tide - "Futilist's Lament"
      The Rock Shop - "State Of Your Mind"
      The Beatles - "Flying"
      The Others - "My Friend The Wizard"
      The 31st Of February - "Porcelain Mirrors"
      Zior - "New Land"
      National Health - "Borogoves (Part One)"
      The Gods - "Lovely Anita"
      Jackie De Shannon - "Live"
      Jon - "Is It Love"
      Faine Jade - "People Games Play"
      The Yo Yo's - "Crack In My Wall"
      Eclection - "Mark Time"
      The Twilights - "The Way They Play"
      Them - "Square Room"
      Leonard Cohen - "So Long, Marianne"
      John Cale - "Gideon's Bible"
      Thomas & Richard Frost - "If I Can't Be Your Lover"
      Kensington Market - "Looking Glass"
      The Flame - "I'm So Happy"
      The 5th Dimension - "Another Day, Another Heartache"
      The Zombies - "I Love You"
      Rick Nelson - "Only The Young"
      Funkadelic - "Baby I Owe You Something Good"
      Les Mogol - "Sunset In Golden Horn"
      Spontaneous Combustion - "Leaving"
      Saint Just - "Il Fiume Inondo"
      Mr. Bungle - "Goodbye Sober Day"

Click here to stream this show now: http://eggmanrulez.com/m3u/352.m3u
      or to download: http://eggmanrulez.com/streams/352.mp3

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 50?sk=wall … or check out my website (to be updated someday): http://eggmanrulez.com/
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Egg