Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• October 8, 2011 3:30 PM CDT
    • Well.....Some people might be considerably younger. Their whole album and most of their 45s still sound great.

Luke Greenwood said:

i don't believe there is no Banana Splits in this thread 

• October 6, 2011 5:30 PM CDT
    • I remember watching this show when I was a little kid. It was probably more aimed at the teen demographic than young kids but I watched it anyways. In retrospect, the theme reminds me a bit of a Stooges jam with a little bit of a Mudhoney thing, ahhh, the early 90s.

http://youtu.be/pH50ZF9QPmQ

• October 8, 2011 9:05 AM CDT
    • I pretty much enjoy it all for different reasons. If i want straight up raw rock and roll it's the reatards all the way but i find his song writting got a little better as a solo artist. My favorite song is 'Night of Broken Glass'.

Even his last album was abit lacking but i can still listen to the whole thing from begging to end.

Also, Lost Sounds is pretty fucking sweet.

• October 7, 2011 6:11 PM CDT
    • I agree, there is something on a primal, gut level that doesn't catch my attention as much with his solo material, which isn't to say its not as good. I know on his solo work he was really getting into some more varied influences like The Clean, Galaxie 500, Wire, etc.

kopper said:

Reatards, definitely. I like his solo stuff, but it just doesn't have the same punch and grit.

• October 7, 2011 4:33 PM CDT
    • Reatards, definitely. I like his solo stuff, but it just doesn't have the same punch and grit.

• October 7, 2011 1:13 PM CDT
    • With all due respect to a dead man (a talented one at that), I think Jay's solo material kind of trailed off there at the end, although I liked Blood Visions. I just found his work with The Reatards to be superior. Your opinions?

• October 8, 2011 5:58 AM CDT
    • is there a diferance in tone beetween the phantom and teardrop

(im 14 and british ,if i could id get a phantom in all white , white mith black pick guard or all black or just a white teardrop :))

• October 8, 2011 5:44 AM CDT
    • sounds awsome

• October 6, 2011 7:51 PM CDT
    • I play through an Aims Pa head from the seventies that i found in my uncles garage. I modified the tone circuitry on it, so channel 1 is a fender twin, channel two is 59 Marshall, channel 3 and 4 are still stock.  Also has the original reverb tank thats very dark. I love this thing, i just wish i had a better cab for it. For at home stuff i use a fender champ and it does just fine.

• October 8, 2011 2:53 AM CDT
    • Show #344: "Short Names, Part 2" playlist:

MC5 - "Looking At You"
      The Ark - "Daily Reminder"
      CMU - "Heart Of The Sun"
      T2 - "J.L.T."
      The Kix - "What Would Life Be"
      The Fox [UK] - "Hey! Mr. Carpenter"
      The Who - "Circles"
      The Id [CA] - "The Rake"
      M.C.2 - "My Mind Goes High"
      The End [US] - "Memorandum"
      The Zoo [MI] - "Feelings"
      006 - "Like What, Me Worry"
      G-66 - "Feel Alright"
      The Ban - "Bye Bye"
      The XL's - "Second Choice"
      ESB - "Mushroom People"
      The Ice - "Iceman"
      I.R.A. - "Dooley Vs. The Ferris Wheel"
      The Zoo [WI] - "Sometimes"
      The U.K.s - "Your Love Is All I Want"
      The J & B - "There She Goes"
      DMZ - "Somewhere In Between, Part 1"
      LSD - "Mystery Of The Mythical Invasion"
      Los Ros - "Cuentame Cosas Tuyas"
      SRC - "Show Me"
      The Sun - "Soul Sync"
      The Fox [UK-East Sussex] - "Second Hand Love"
      N.S.U. - "Turn On, Or Turn Me Down"
      The End [UK] - "Shades Of Orange"
      The Syn - "Grounded"
      The Now - "Like A Flying Bird"
      BLC - "I Don't Want To Go"
      CWT - "Widow Woman"
      GWB - "Butterball"
      Q65 - "Summer Thoughts In A Field Of Weed"
      The 5 - "I'm No Good"
      The T-R's - "Soul Meeting"
      The Sky - "I'm Not A Fool"
      The Few - "Why Oh Why"
      POE - "Up Through The Spiral"
      AKA - "Do What You Like"
      The Zoo [GRE] - "I Cry"
      The Id [AUS] - "Watch Out"
      The Us - "How Can I Tell Her"
      The Ash - "Fly Up Tight"
      UFO - "Treacle People"
      M.U.5 - "Mrs. Watson"
      The Act - "The Remedies Of Doctor Brohnicoy"
      The Sub - "Ma-Mari-Huana"
      COB - "Heart Dancer"
      The In - "Just Give Me Time"
      The Id [ME] - "I Just Don't Understand You Baby"
      Dr. Z - "Evil Woman's Manly Child"
      CCS - "Salome"

Click here to stream this show now: http://eggmanrulez.com/m3u/344.m3u
      or to download: http://eggmanrulez.com/streams/344.mp3

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 50?sk=wall … or check out my website (to be updated someday): http://eggmanrulez.com/
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Egg

• October 7, 2011 3:21 PM CDT
    • Show #344: "Short Names, Part 2"

Every 3 weeks I leave an open slot to do random themes and whatnot. This week's theme is "Short Names, Part 2". I've compiled a 3 hour show of all bands and artists with the shortest names (one to three digits). In the first show I eliminated all bands that start with "The" and bands that use abbreviations or initials. This second part of the show covers those bands eliminated from the first show. So tune in tonight to hear part 2 of the Short Names show and hear bands like: MC5, The Ark, T2, 2 different bands called The Fox, The Who, 3 different bands called The Id, 2 different bands called The End, 006, ESB, The Ice, LSD, SRC, N.S.U., The Syn, The Now, Q65, The Few, POE, AKA, The Ash, The Act, The Sub, COB, Dr. Z, CCS and many many more!!!

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live, listen to past shows, view playlists, etc…check out my website: http://eggmanrulez.com/ or wscafm.org Friday nights at 10pm EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Watch my playlist unravel before your eyes LIVE here: http://wscafm.radioactivity.fm/

Egg

• October 7, 2011 10:24 PM CDT
    • To me, garage is raw rock and roll based on the blues. That said, there are styles that are considered garage, like surf, punk and even pop. You can't totally define it but you know when you hear it. The Stones and The Beatles both have garage rock songs but they expanded on their sound and some of the songs go in another direction. I wish I could be clearer but like I said, you know it when you hear it.

Frank N. Stroud said:

What is Garage and what is not garage?

• October 7, 2011 2:15 PM CDT
    • What is Garage and what is not garage?

• October 7, 2011 1:37 PM CDT
    • "Garage Rock" has been a trendy buzzword since around 2001 when publications like Rolling Stone and NME misnomered The Strokes as garage rock. Perhaps because they rose in popularity packaged alongside The Hives and White Stripes, who, to variant degrees were more authentically garage than The Strokes.

• October 7, 2011 8:00 AM CDT
    • can somebub please explain "MAINSTREAM"? we don't know what that means.

• October 6, 2011 11:43 PM CDT
    • If Garage became mainstream I'd be happy...and a hell of a lot less lonely. It's unrealistic..but I'm going to school for broadcasting..one because I wanna do radio..but also because maybe one day...I can at least increase the awareness of this amazing stuff.

• October 7, 2011 6:33 PM CDT
    • Playlist Oct 6/2011

This was an abbreviated show, due to election coverage on CHRW starting at 8PM.

1.  Osterberg....Sickness...from their dark red 10" LP from quite a few years back...actually meant to play London Eats Its Own but had the record down side up.

2. Joe Shithead...The Enemy...Joe solo at Grooves Records on Oct 5/11 as he was hawking his latest book, DOA, prior to the evening's DOA festivities at Call The Office.

3. The Mystics...Metamorphosis...from their only CD and this song is a rip-off of The Pretty Things LSD. But who cares, this is a great song no matter what you call it!

4. Idol Lips...Down By LUV...from the latest garagepunk.com download called Noises From The Hideout and these guys come from Italy.

5. Light Bulb Alley...Pepper Spray...from their only CD, The Sound Of Things on Ricochet Sound.

6. Pack AD....Goldrush...from their first LP Tintype. The Pack AD are playing tonite at Call The Office here in London Ontario.

7. Pack AD...Blackout...from the Funeral Mixtape LP.

8. Pack AD...K Stomp...from the We Kill Computers LP.

9. Pack AD...Sirens...from their brand new LP Unpersons which is presently at number 1 on CHRW and number 1 on the National College Charts, Earshot for Canada. Couldn't happen to 2 nicer gals!!

10. The Cramps...O Ma Liddy...from the brand new Trash Is Neat Volume 5 LP that just happened to arrive via mail as i was leaving to do this show. Limited edition of 250 on dark red vinyl and is ONLY available to members of the Stay Sick group...Cramps hardcore fans!! It's a computer version of Lindsay Hutton's Legion Of The Cramped from the late 70's/early 80's. You'll be hearing lots more of this sucker in shows to come.

11. catl...Church On Time...recorded live at Call The Office 9/29/11. This was only the 2nd show for drummer Andrew who used to be in The Deadly Snakes. It was a killer show and this live excerpt really doesn't do the band proper justice!

12. Teenanger...So Agitated...recorded live at Call The Office 9/29/11 and dedicated to a certain DJ at CHRW.

13. The Routes...Brick Wall...from their LP on Dirty Water Records. UK via Japan garagepunk noise that just blows me away with all of those crazy guitar noises.

14. Photoroman...Pourquoi..brand new 7" from some crazy Quebecois and again, this one arrived in the mail just as i was leaving to do this show. Oddly, a certain Alistair Light Bulb Alley requested this song before i even had the record!!

15. Rock'n'Roll Monkey and The Robots...Static...from their latest CD, Spooky Kooky Attic Static that just gets better and better every listen!

16. The Hook Up...Come Down With Us...from their latest CD, Tomorrow and Today. They are in town on Nov 5th at Brennan's Beer Bistro.

17. Elected....Alice Cooper...an appropriate way to end the show and to segue into the election coverage on CHRW...

Since CHRW is celebrating 30 years on the airwaves this month, we'll be playing ONLY BANDS THAT PLAYED HERE IN LONDON ONTARIO 30 YEARS AGO for the next 3 shows...there might be some surprises in there, so tune in for some memories for some of us and some brand new music for some of you youngsters.

Here's the link to listen to the archived show:

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1900.mp3

• October 7, 2011 5:59 PM CDT
    • Been listening to the back issues again... all day at "work!"

• October 7, 2011 4:30 PM CDT
    • The Stooges - Raw Power

Ty Segall - Goodbye Bread

Wipers - Is this Real?

T. Rex - The Slider

The Rolling Stones - Aftermath

Van Morrison - Astral Weeks

Velvet Underground - White Light Heat

• October 7, 2011 2:32 PM CDT
    • That would be cool to get :):):)

stiv rippengal said:

the destroy all monsters/dark carnival box set is a worthwhile purchase if they're still selling them, features all the stuff and more!

• October 7, 2011 9:51 AM CDT
    • Let's not forget Niagara in Dark Carnival 2:):)

• October 7, 2011 9:31 AM CDT
    • Me!  I found this cool rogo!

Niagara stuff.  These t-shirts are bloody expensive! :(

• October 7, 2011 11:00 AM CDT
    • Hey Brothas and Sistas, The place to be on Friday Nights at 7 p.m. (central) on www.baconrock.com is Kustom City Sounds. I have a blog here on the Hideout, too. If it has that certain feel, it gets played, you dig?!!! Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa Fa and a Shout Bama Lama my fellow Rock and Roll Brothas and Sistas!!! Don't be an L7, be there every Friday night!!!!!  Can You Dig It?!!!!!       

• October 7, 2011 3:28 AM CDT
    • There's some pretty cool advice in here!

I started this discussion; The Offical Recording Thread, ages ago and I've added this discussion to the list I've put in it. Check it out, its got a ton of info on recording in it.

• October 6, 2011 8:09 PM CDT
    • First i wanna say that i really dig your tracks and hate the fact that you're in the uk. Would love to plays shows with you.   

As far as recording goes, what worked for my 2 man band is recording live, and having the guitar amp in another room. Bass drum mic, snare mic and one room mic. And we did the vocals separate. A method we used was to turn up the sensitivity in our mics(think 57's?) and clipped everything else.

http://losalamos.bandcamp.com/