Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• October 1, 2011 11:01 AM CDT
    • Nice. I'm loving the new Jack O album

• October 1, 2011 10:46 AM CDT
    • Marty , It seems like somebody did mention Suicide's original. It's almost shocking it did'nt make the movie , but , I heard the movie was pretty awful....Ahhh, how I remember seeing The Gories open for The Gibson Bros. in 1990 , and being the only person standing in front of the stage. Everyone else was about a mile back. I opened for The Gories last year ,and , fortunately , most of the audience was only 1/2 - 2/3rds of the way back during my set.

Marty Shane, Pacifiction Records said:

Surprised nobody's mentioned Suicide's "Ghost Rider" maybe a bit obvious, not really garage, but The Gories do a great cover!

• October 1, 2011 6:08 AM CDT
    • Surprised nobody's mentioned Suicide's "Ghost Rider" maybe a bit obvious, not really garage, but The Gories do a great cover!

• October 1, 2011 10:41 AM CDT
    • HAHAHAHA - DEBATE?! THAT'S LIKE FIGHTIN' , INNIT ? LET'S GO ! RIGHT NOW ! YOU AND ME ! TAKE OFF YOUR JACKET ! C'MON !       Seriously , I had a bunch of others that got deleted.
      If I think of 'em , I'll send 'em along.
      Bibliodiscoteque said:

This pretty much settles the debate whether I have to do a part II or not. 

John Battles said:

King Vitamin (aka Giant) - "I'm a Hardass" . Potatoes or Norvells - "Magnum Lust".  MC5 - "One of The Guys".

Pat Hare- "I'm Gonna Murder My Baby" . Roky Erickson - "Please Don't Kill My Baby" . Dead Kennedys -  "Macho Insecurity" ,

Johnny Horton - "Honky Tonk Hardwood Floor". Teddy and The Tall Tops - "Gulf Coast Saturday Night" ,. More later ,my other suggestions were deleted.  

• October 1, 2011 5:03 AM CDT
    • This pretty much settles the debate whether I have to do a part II or not. 

John Battles said:

King Vitamin (aka Giant) - "I'm a Hardass" . Potatoes or Norvells - "Magnum Lust".  MC5 - "One of The Guys".

Pat Hare- "I'm Gonna Murder My Baby" . Roky Erickson - "Please Don't Kill My Baby" . Dead Kennedys -  "Macho Insecurity" ,

Johnny Horton - "Honky Tonk Hardwood Floor". Teddy and The Tall Tops - "Gulf Coast Saturday Night" ,. More later ,my other suggestions were deleted.  

• October 1, 2011 12:38 AM CDT
    • Andrew is right , tho' they were called "Earl Vince and The Valiants. "on the record. Commercial suicide for the still non -suck Fleetwood Mac , to do a Teddy Boy stomp in the vein of earlier British Rockers like Johnny Kidd and The Pirates and Vince Taylor and the Playboys. My pick for # 1 , THO' I LIKE THE REZILLOS AND COUNT BISHOPS' VERSIONS , TOO.

This poor man really got the boot at a Goblins/Skanalingus show several years ago , for dressing like a Hippie. I'm glad you're up and functioning , again. Yeah, I kicked yer 'ed in once or twice. What of it?

kopper said:

Rezillos version is much better, though. ;)

Andrew Malcolm said:
      And I bet you thought this was a Rezillos song... WRONG, try Fleetwood Mac!!!

• October 1, 2011 12:28 AM CDT
    • King Vitamin (aka Giant) - "I'm a Hardass" . Potatoes or Norvells - "Magnum Lust".  MC5 - "One of The Guys".

• September 30, 2011 11:54 PM CDT
    •  I know "The Boxer " by S AND G IS'NT TOO MACHO , BUT , SOMEONE MUST HAVE DONE A HARD ROCK OR PUNK ROCK VERSION. THERE MUST BE OTHERS....ILL THINK ABOUT IT , OK?

JOHNNY CARSON : i UNDERSTAND YOU STARTED OUT IN BOXING. WHAT MADE YOU SWITCH TO MUSIC?

BO DIDDLEY : UH ,WELL , I FOUND OUT THE GUITAR DON'T THROW LEFT HOOKS ! .

OK -  T. Valentine - Massius Ray.   Some guy's BAZUKA - "BLACK SUPERMAN - MOHAMMMED ALI". (ENGLISH) BEAT - SPAR WID ME . DON COVAY - "RUMBLE IN THE JUNGLE" . ANIMALS- "I'M MAD AGAIN" (DROPS CASSIUS CLAY AND SONNY LISTON'S NAMES.). PETER ZAREMBA'S LOVE DELEGATION "I'M GONNA KNOCK YOU OUT".(Not really a boxing song , but , it might work.)......

• September 30, 2011 2:32 PM CDT
    • Lol. Thanks - This is a great track!

kopper said:

No!!! No Elton John! If you wanna play "Saturday Night's Alright," play THIS version instead:

I have it on vinyl if you need a rip of it.

Bibliodiscoteque said:

Dead Boy - Great song. Perfect for the incidental music.

Kopper - Yeah, if we get into wrestling songs this could be a series in and of itself.

MikeL - I might be able to get away with Elton. Especially since its one of the better EJ songs 

• October 1, 2011 9:25 AM CDT
    • Real sad....RIP.

• October 1, 2011 6:24 AM CDT
    • Tis indeed sad - 'Your Body Not Your Soul' is one of my all-time fave tracks. It never fails to deliver!! Dutch Beat at its 

finest.

• October 1, 2011 4:56 AM CDT
    • That's silly of that moron :):)

Mina said:

I had a one woman band group on facebook, but then some asshole from the one man band group accused me of stupid BS. so I deleted the group.

• September 30, 2011 1:41 PM CDT
    • If you mean women who play all the instruments and sing at the same time, I don't know many :):):)

• September 30, 2011 1:33 PM CDT
    • List them!

• October 1, 2011 4:53 AM CDT
    • They called it 'new wave' but it's POWER POP :):):):)

• October 1, 2011 4:27 AM CDT
    • A BLAST FROM THE PAST :):):):)

• September 30, 2011 11:50 PM CDT
    • Shonen Knife, The Primitives, Jesus & Mary Chain 

I think I am more knowledgeable about the 90s groups such as Lush.

• September 30, 2011 6:44 PM CDT
    • I know some of it's twee, but a lot of it could be good power-pop. The Primitives, early JAMC, Shonen Knife, among others were 80's power pop at its best. Who's your fave indie pop act?

• September 30, 2011 11:40 PM CDT
    •  I usually open my own gigs with "You Better Believe It " by Donny B. Waugh. It's a statement of intent , set to a near - Rockabilly fuzztone riff. After that, things ,for me, sort of fall into place.

• September 30, 2011 2:50 PM CDT
    • Soul Inc. is probably the easiest to find but even THEY aren't the originators of Stronger than Dirt.  That honor goes to Ajax and the Cleansers who recogonized that a commercial for Ajax soap was identical to the Kinks' You Really Got Me.  One other sixties band did it as well.  They were called Jimmy and the Offbeats.

• September 30, 2011 7:55 PM CDT
    • Hey check out Kustom City Sounds Rock and Roll Luau Friday Nights 7 p.m. (central)  on www.baconrock.com.  Awesome variety of Garage, Punk Rockabilly, Psychobilly, Psychedelic, Blues, Old Country, 60's Soul, 50's R & B, Real Classic Rock and new stuff to boot.  just to name a few.  The Show repeats at Midnight Saturday morning (central)  Brotha' Doornail is preachin' the gospel of Rock and Roll Culture, Brotha's and Sista's. 

Chris Henniker said:

Kopper, have you heard of Resonance FM in London? It's an arts station that does a few good early rock'n'roll, garage and art rock shows. It can get a bit worthy at times, but it can be worth a listen. BBC 6 Music's an option too. I covered the protests against its closure for a video unit at college, which was great fun.

kopper said:

I can't stand your typical "modern rock" stations. Those are everywhere and play the worst possible mainstream rock crap imaginable. "Modern rock" (which used to be called "alternative rock") has come to mean really awful bands like Limp Bizkit, Korn, Red Hot Chili Peppers, 311, Staind, Blink 182... do I have to go on?) There's one in St. Louis called The Point. ("Everything Alternative" my ass... like they would ever play the Dirtbombs or Nobunny!) Those are also commercial stations. It's just another cookie-cutter format like all the rest. On the other hand, 90.3 KUSF is the University of San Francisco's station, a commercial-free, non-profit college station. BIG difference. Most of those stations (college/public radio that you find on the left side of the dial in the U.S.) either have a very loose format (meaning that each DJ is allowed to choose at least part of what they play) or they're set up like WFMU in NYC or KDHX in STL where each DJ hosts a different show (usually two or three hours long) and therefore gets to program his/her show with whatever music they want.

I would think that, with the history of all things "garage" and "primitive" and with the success of satellite radio stations like Little Steven's Underground Garage channel on Sirius/XM, that we might start seeing some 24/7 garage/punk/rock'n'roll commercial stations. But I still think that genre is just too much a niche genre to attract a large enough listener base in any one city. Once you create a commercial station you have to start playing by those rules, meaning market share becomes really important for attracting advertisers. I just don't see it ever happening on terrestrial (traditional) radio, meaning AM or FM. That's why we have to stick to streaming Internet radio and podcasts.

Don't forget to also check out the Zines & Radio Shows group here on the Hideout for some good radio shows and podcasts to check out (outside of the GPPN).

Kidango said:

well of course it doesnt have to be strictly garage rock, but  just some modern rock n roll stations would be cool. But hey ill check out that rock 'n soul station! 
      I know there was a san fransisco station 90.3 ksuf that played stuff like nobunny, the staggers, and th e strange boys, but for some reason i cant find the station on my radio, ah well..

• September 30, 2011 7:07 PM CDT
    • Kopper, have you heard of Resonance FM in London? It's an arts station that does a few good early rock'n'roll, garage and art rock shows. It can get a bit worthy at times, but it can be worth a listen. BBC 6 Music's an option too. I covered the protests against its closure for a video unit at college, which was great fun.

kopper said:

I can't stand your typical "modern rock" stations. Those are everywhere and play the worst possible mainstream rock crap imaginable. "Modern rock" (which used to be called "alternative rock") has come to mean really awful bands like Limp Bizkit, Korn, Red Hot Chili Peppers, 311, Staind, Blink 182... do I have to go on?) There's one in St. Louis called The Point. ("Everything Alternative" my ass... like they would ever play the Dirtbombs or Nobunny!) Those are also commercial stations. It's just another cookie-cutter format like all the rest. On the other hand, 90.3 KUSF is the University of San Francisco's station, a commercial-free, non-profit college station. BIG difference. Most of those stations (college/public radio that you find on the left side of the dial in the U.S.) either have a very loose format (meaning that each DJ is allowed to choose at least part of what they play) or they're set up like WFMU in NYC or KDHX in STL where each DJ hosts a different show (usually two or three hours long) and therefore gets to program his/her show with whatever music they want.

I would think that, with the history of all things "garage" and "primitive" and with the success of satellite radio stations like Little Steven's Underground Garage channel on Sirius/XM, that we might start seeing some 24/7 garage/punk/rock'n'roll commercial stations. But I still think that genre is just too much a niche genre to attract a large enough listener base in any one city. Once you create a commercial station you have to start playing by those rules, meaning market share becomes really important for attracting advertisers. I just don't see it ever happening on terrestrial (traditional) radio, meaning AM or FM. That's why we have to stick to streaming Internet radio and podcasts.

Don't forget to also check out the Zines & Radio Shows group here on the Hideout for some good radio shows and podcasts to check out (outside of the GPPN).

Kidango said:

well of course it doesnt have to be strictly garage rock, but  just some modern rock n roll stations would be cool. But hey ill check out that rock 'n soul station! 
      I know there was a san fransisco station 90.3 ksuf that played stuff like nobunny, the staggers, and th e strange boys, but for some reason i cant find the station on my radio, ah well..

• September 30, 2011 2:19 PM CDT
    • I've never heard about Little Richard or Esquerita doing any Gay - themed "Love" songs , even early on. Of course , "Tutti Frutti , Good Booty , if it don't fit , don't force it , you can grease it , make it easy - WOOOOOO"" (Even THAT could be interpreted as being about straight or Gay sex. But , not so much in The 50's.).....was how he originally sang it in the clubs , tho' I'd hardly call that a love song. Esquerita might have done similar novelties ,I don't know....But , I met Don and Dewey (GREAT guys , God bless 'em.) , once , and asked them if they had a hard time with White audiences in The Deep South. They said they did'nt play there very much because "Here we were , not just two Black guys , but , two GOOD LOOKING Black guys , they were afraid we were going to steal their women ! Now , Richard would have had the same problem , as good looking as he was , but , he was sort of "Gay" , so , they did'nt bother him.". Members of The Upsettrs and Richard himself all admitted they camped it up heavily to keep the White guys at bay . Then , they'd invite these women backstage , whether they were White or Black , because their Boyfriends would inevitably decide they were "Sissies", and the wild sex parties began ! Even if the most Richard did , sometimes , was WATCH !

IDON MINE said:

HA! I like it with some guts! Check the comps MOTEL LOVERS and DOWN AN OUT on TRIKONT for some great gems of ballsy Soul.

On a side note, off topic: I'd love to hear some of the Esquerita and Little Richard queer love songs, they did early on before they had to be rewritten, so they wouldn't get them killed and could actually be released.

John Battles said:

I'd forgotten about those lyrics to " Davey "....I KNOW IT'S NOT TO COOL TO LIKE SOUL MUSIC THAT HAS SOME BALLS , BUT , I'VE ALWAYS LIKED JOE TEX. Of course , like a lot of his peers , he was around before they called it "Soul" , doing what most people would just call R'n'B. THE LIST OF FUTURE SOUL STARS WHO STARTED OUT DOING GREAT LITTLE RICHARD KNOCKOFFS GOES ON AND ON - Joe Tex , James Brown , Otis Redding , Don Covay .....  

IDON MINE said:

Joe is one of the weirdest out there! His early rough soul tracks make me wonder someone ever had him record a love balad. PNEUMONIA also come to mind, where he is love sick and says he's "gonna blacken both of her eyes!" He has some other really psycho ones, can't think of them now.

G'DAMN CREEP! 

swt said:

Ona recent episode of The Big Enchilada, I played "Davy, You Upset My Home" by Joe Tex. It's about a guy who's jealous because his girl is really into Davy Crockett. (I think this is from the late '50s when Davy Crockett was a very popular TV show.)

The girl even buys Davy Crockett false teeth because, Joe sings, "I punched her in the mouth last night."

Another line: "I whipped her so until she went insane. And now she wants to buy herself a Davy Crockett brain."

• September 30, 2011 1:51 PM CDT
    • Tried the Zoom H1 out again last night and all i can say is WOW!!! Really impressed with the recordings and the ease of recording and downloading.

And Craig, yes that manual gain control sounds like a really great idea!!

• September 30, 2011 1:11 PM CDT
    • Playlist Sept 29/2011

1. The Fleshtones....Bigger and Better...from the 2005 CD, Beachhead. The Fleshtones proved this on monday evening at This Ain't Hollywood in Hamiton, Ontario, Canada delivering another jaw dropping performance! Where does Keith Streng get his energy? How can they do so many spins on stage and not get dizzy and fall down? How many pushups can Peter Zaremba do? How low can The Fleshtones get on stage and why did everyone in the crowd get down on the floor when Peter told us to? Are The Fleshtones really Roman Gods? So many unanswered questions and there was only 1 Canadian show this year. You missed it and those that were there will never forget!

2. The Fleshtones...God Damn It...from the More Than Skin Deep LP 1997 LP. Listen to those lyrics...God Damn It!!!

3. The Mystics...Play Your Game...from their debut CD. This combo opened for The Fleshtones and they were fucking amazing! Matt from Rocket Reducers is on guitar and vocals.

4. The Mystics...Last Time...recorded live 9/26/11 at This Ain't Hollywood on the new WW mobile recorder. Yep, it's the Stones tune with an energized psych vibe to it.

5. The Nomads...She Ain't No Use To Me...from the 10" The Cold Hard Facts Of Life on Lance Rock Records 1996. Sweden's The Nomads cover Cangaragepunk classics from the likes of The Ugly Ducklings, The Northwest Company, The Jury and even Teenage Head! Fucking Swedes have better appreciation for Cangaragepunk than most Canucks!!

6. The Bon...Hey Suzette...from the latest garagepunk. com download called Noises From The Hideout. Ya, we've played this song a few times on Radio WW...that's cause it's SO good!

7. The Count V....Psychotic Reaction...from the LP of the same name and a request from a guy who is retiring today! Congrats to Kerry P!!!

8. Shakey Aches....Junk Island....from their only 7".

9. The Polymorphines...Anna Lee...from The Slip CD...and these guys are presently on their way back home after a cross Canada tour!

Right around this time, Sarah K from catl called in to talk about catl's big show last night at Call The Office. Brand new drummer Andrew Gunn made his 2nd ever appearance as a member of catl. He was last at Call The Office with Greg Cartwright and The Deadly Snakes 6/19/00. And catl were fucking fantastic last night at Call The Office!!

10. catl...A Pickup Killed My Ford...from the Adonde Vas? LP

11. catl...Working Man's Soul...With The Lord For Cowards You Will Find No Place LP. The set closer last night.

12. catl...Hey Hey...from the Adonde Vas? LP.

13. Bob Log III....One Man Band Boom....from the Log Bomb LP and Bob comes to Call The Office Sat Oct 1st.

14. Joe Shithead and Cub... Pencil Neck Geek...from Johnny Hanson Presents Puck Rock Vol 1 CD....Joe and Cub take liberties with Fred Blassie's Pencil Neck Geek. Joe is going acoustic on Wed Oct 5th, 5PM at Grooves Records here in London. He'll be telling stories, playing acoustic and hawking the brand new book on DOA.

15. DOA...Communication Breakdown...from Hardcore 81 LP. DOA do a real show on Wed Oct 5th at Call The Office...doors at 7PM as this will be an early one.

16. Teenanger...Rats...from the Give Me Pink LP. Teenanger opened up for catl last night at Call The Office and put on another great show! Thanx for playing Agitated for me!

17. The Shanks...Coyotes...from their latest CD Skordalia and they will be at The Spoke on the University campus on Friday Oct 14th!

18. The Vicious Cycles...I Got A Girl...from the latest Garagepunk Hideout download. From Vancouver and NOT to be confused with the hardcore band Vicious Cycle also from Canada. Confused? I was, bought an LP by Vicious Cycle and was quite disappointed.

19. The Deadly Snakes...Graveyard Shake...from I'm Not Your Soldier Anymore LP from 2001.

20. Skip Jensen...Done Tried...from the June Garagepunk Hideout download, You Got Your Punk In My Garage. Skip is an active member of the Montreal scene.

21. The Vibrating Beds...Baby Tell Me...from their Transistor 66 7" EP.

22. The Zellots...Blades...from their 1981 demo and you can read their story in the latest edition of Mongrel Zine.

23. The Sporting Bachelors...Lovers But Not Friends...from Mr Garager's Neighbourhood LP on OG Records from 1989.

Thanx for all of the phone-ins, emails, facebook comments and messages AND, all of the bands that keep dedicating songs to me whenever they play live!!! You know who you are!! Next week we'll be doing a set of Pack AD tunes as they hit London on Friday Oct 7th at Call The Office. Rory, our pooch is already excited about this show as The Pack AD are his fave band!!

And we'll be spinning some tunes recorded on the new WW mobile recorder....stuff you WON'T hear anywhere else! Tune in to find out, thursdays from 7 to 8:30PM on CHRW 94.9.

Here's the link for the archived show:

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1900.mp3