Cadillacs:

Figures of Light - BLACK CADILLAC

Has a plane car in it!

You can't catch me - CHUCK BERRY

• October 11, 2011 11:16 AM CDT
    • Let's Build A Car - The Swell Maps

Car Crash - the Avengers

• October 12, 2011 1:23 AM CDT
    • I haven't heard much of his solo records, but yeah. I'd also go with you that The Reatards were better than his solo career. They just worked together so well and created such great music. It's sad it had to end that way, but yeah...

And yeah, just like you all said, The Reatards can't be compared with Led Zeppelin. Whole different band, whole different time, whole different style.

• October 11, 2011 11:11 PM CDT
    • Never really had much sucess finding good 60's stuff.  Mainly 50's.

At a garage sale I found Johnny Cash "I Walk The Line" 4 song EP on Sun with the picture sleeve mixed in with a bunch of mostly 50's pop records.

At a thrift: Eddie Cash "Doing All Right" 7" on Peak http://youtu.be/QCi3auOuWOE

At an antique mall type place, a box of 78's all in close to near mint condition which is rare enough for about 50 cents each:

Carl Perkins "Blue Suede Shoes" on Sun

Warren Smith " Ubangi Rock" on Sun

Little Richard "Slippin & Slidin" on Specialty

and dozen or two of Doo Woppers, from the El Dorados, Flamingos, Cadillacs, Spiders etc etc.

• October 11, 2011 6:22 PM CDT
    • Robert , Did yours come with a poster , or a color photo booklet ? If you answered "Poster" , I THINK YOU'VE GOT A REAL RARITY , THERE..... Just wondering. I still go out with girls and stuff. 

robert mendoza said:

how funny! i just found a copy of P. Revere and the Raiders "Greatest Hits" in mono, on Columbia, with the poster inside...in near mint condition: it cost me all of $3.00!

John Battles said:
      ..I recently found Paul Revere and The Raiders' first single "Orbit - The Spy" , a killer surf instrumental that had taken me years to find a copy of , even on a compilation. The "A" side was "Beatnik Sticks" , similar to the Hit follow - up , "Like , Long Hair" , but , arguably the better of the two. This was at an antique store that had'nt got anything "New" in for years. I also just found a Joe Maphis 78 in a thrift store , both sides rockin' Instrumentals. Have'nt found any "Garage" 45s , lately.They turn up , sometimes , if you're patient enough to watch paint peel. 

• October 11, 2011 5:17 PM CDT
    • how cool is that! :)

Si Si Si said:

my dad gave me a box of the nastiest water damaged records and asked me if i wanted them. I didn't really but i thought i'd look through them anyways and i found a mint condition Merry Christmas from the Sonics, The Wailers, and the Galaxies, which i then proceeded to get autographed by all the original members in all three bands who are still alive. it was crazy. That was the only record without damage. It looked like it had been played maybe once or twice.

• October 11, 2011 5:16 PM CDT
    • how funny! i just found a copy of P. Revere and the Raiders "Greatest Hits" in mono, on Columbia, with the poster inside...in near mint condition: it cost me all of $3.00!

John Battles said:

..I recently found Paul Revere and The Raiders' first single "Orbit - The Spy" , a killer surf instrumental that had taken me years to find a copy of , even on a compilation. The "A" side was "Beatnik Sticks" , similar to the Hit follow - up , "Like , Long Hair" , but , arguably the better of the two. This was at an antique store that had'nt got anything "New" in for years. I also just found a Joe Maphis 78 in a thrift store , both sides rockin' Instrumentals. Have'nt found any "Garage" 45s , lately.They turn up , sometimes , if you're patient enough to watch paint peel. 

• October 11, 2011 10:41 PM CDT
    • Soory, don' have this stuff on MP3, but here's a few I do not believe were mentioned yet. Also attached a track from the VooDuo - "Diggin' You Up"

• October 11, 2011 8:57 PM CDT
    • Gene Simmons (The REAL Gene Simmons.The one who did'nt sleep with thousands of women , but died with non - bongwater drenched hair , at least.) - Haunted House (Jerry Lee , Sam The Sham or Hasil's versions , too.).

Bobby Bare - Vampira ,

Stems - She's a Monster ,

Roky Erickson - A zillion , but starting with Night of The Vampire , Creature With The Atom Brain ,  Bloody Hammer , I Walked With a Zombie , Stand For The Fire Demon......

Flamin' Groovies - Teenage Head (Inspired by Kim Fowley and Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine.)

The Archers (?) - The Vampire

Igor and The Maniacs - The Big Green

Kingsmen - Haunted Castle

Freddie Fender - The Mummy (I don't even have THAT.)

The Who- Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Hollywood Flames - At The House of Frankenstein

Ronnie Dawson - Rockin' in The Graveyard

Jackie Morningstar - Rockin' in The Cemetary

Bert Convy - The Gorilla

Screamin' Jay Hawkins - Little Demon , Alligator Wine , There's Something Wrong With You , etc.

Joe South - Purple People Eater Meets The Witch Doctor

(And , of course....) Sheb Wooley - Purple People Eater   and  David Savile - The Witch Doctor

Lavern Baker - Voodoo Voodoo

David Bowie - Scary Monsters (Well....)

Warren Zevon - Werewolves of London

Dave Edmunds - Creature From The Black Lagoon

Dickies - Killer Klowns From Outer Space , Infidel Zombie , Attack of The Molemen

Ramones - Chainsaw , Apeman Hop , Pet Sematary

Edgar Winter Group - Frankenstein

Zacherle - Dinner with Drac

New York Dolls - Frankenstein

Round Robin - I'm The Wolfman

On the Lord Sutch "Hit " list - Monster Rock , Til The Following Night , Murder in The Graveyard , She's fallen in love With a Monster Man , AND , OF COURSE , jACK tHE rIPPER.

Others. I forget...Some will come to me , later.

• October 11, 2011 8:34 PM CDT
    • Yeah , you're right. I can't remember the name of the guy who did it , first , but , there were two early versions , one with a reference to "Coming home from The Beatles' concert". The Downliners Sect , of course , changed it to "A Downliners Sect  concert". Theirs is the version to go with .

THE GO SOUND INVASION RADIO SHOW said:

Hi
      I'm not at home now but I remember a song by The Downliners Sect with a dark atmosphere maybe "I want my baby back"
      a story about a car crash and somebody came out a coffin.... I'll check that in a couple of hour.
      Anyway "Creepy thing" by Canadian band "The Worst".

• October 11, 2011 10:04 PM CDT
    • Yeah, you should probably just read the article instead of asking questions about it. That's why I posted the link, dude.

John Battles said:

i BELIEVE , DON'T QUOTE ME , BUT , I BELIEVE HE WAS CREMATED. In fact , I'm 98% certain. I heard , early on , that he was not buried. I could ask somebody who knows , but , that might take a while. I know Ivy wanted a very small , unbiased funeral service . I forget the name of the church she went with (Maybe it's in that article?) , but it was one that believed in Astral Projection , so Lux's passing was celebrated with an Astral Projection. He's already waved "Bye bye" to the sun, by then. I know Johnny Legend (THEE Johnny Legend , not that other pencil neck geek !!) , and , I believe , Art Fein , long time cool stuff talk show host in LA and first Cramps' manager , were there.

At any rate , Fein , and , later , Kid Congo , told me they'd seen Ivy in the past year , and that  she's doing really well and looks great.         John.

• October 11, 2011 8:23 PM CDT
    •  i BELIEVE , DON'T QUOTE ME , BUT , I BELIEVE HE WAS CREMATED. In fact , I'm 98% certain. I heard , early on , that he was not buried. I could ask somebody who knows , but , that might take a while. I know Ivy wanted a very small , unbiased funeral service . I forget the name of the church she went with (Maybe it's in that article?) , but it was one that believed in Astral Projection , so Lux's passing was celebrated with an Astral Projection. He's already waved "Bye bye" to the sun, by then. I know Johnny Legend (THEE Johnny Legend , not that other pencil neck geek !!) , and , I believe , Art Fein , long time cool stuff talk show host in LA and first Cramps' manager , were there.

At any rate , Fein , and , later , Kid Congo , told me they'd seen Ivy in the past year , and that  she's doing really well and looks great.         John.

• October 11, 2011 6:02 PM CDT
    • Emy Jackson!

• October 11, 2011 3:50 PM CDT
    • Killer fucking thread, and maybe you can help me. There's a great Japanese girl-garage-band called The Girls. I can't find them anywhere except to stumble on them occassionally, cross-referenced in Japanese, which is understandable I just don't read Japanese and am never sure if I'm looking at the right band. I would like to buy the vinyl straight from the label, if I could find them. Shonen Knife, Pinky Piglets, Buffalo Daughter and Pizzacato Five are all bands I enjoy.

• October 11, 2011 3:07 PM CDT
    • The Switch Trout

• October 11, 2011 2:30 PM CDT
    • Oh yeah that's cool. They were very good as I recall. The night we played with them at the UFO is a bit hazy. 

Marty Shane, Pacifiction Records said:

Here's a vid I particularly like by a recent favorite... THE PAPPYS!

Sorry Mike. No west coast plans for Theee Bat as of yet.

Mike said:

Marty,

Are Theee Bat going to make it to the west coast at all?

• October 11, 2011 12:53 PM CDT
    • ....Allan Merrill was also in The Dynamites.

John Battles said:

....I kind of got off most of the Japanese Garage bands that were popular (Well , KNOWN TO SOME , put it that way.) mainly in the 90's. I liked The Sleez Sisters , still do , tho' I only have one single and maybe a track on a comp (If I did'nt trade it in.). Just kinda fun , catchy  all - girl Punk. I still like Mescaline Drive , who were an all - girl Psych/Garage / Pop outfit. Very catchy tunes. There's live video on youboob (Touche , Kopper.) .

But , I'm a little surprised , seems no one's mentioned Group Sound , where this whole thing began in Japan. Group Sound is what they called the mid - 60's Anglo - American - influenced bands in Japan. A lot of this stuff is pretty insane , fuzztone overload sonic boom , but , some , like The Tigers , who were huge in Japan , is more Pop - oriented. Some bands swung both ways. Musically. But , I'd recommend The Spiders , Golden Cups , Carnabeats , Voltage , Beavers , Dynamites , Outkast , Playboy , Rangers , Swing West....The Spiders and Golden Cups were among the biggest , so there IS footage on You Tube, more of The Spiders , last I checked. The excellent "G.S. I Love You" series on Big Beat , curated by Alec Palao , will definitely set you in the right direction. That , and the Teen Trash From Tokyo series (3 volumes , released on colored vinyl , from Italy , they tell us. These came out Late 80'S OR EARLY 90's.) , if you can track 'em down....But , before even that , there was the Elecki movement ,fronted by Guitarist , Singer , Composer and Arranger , Yuzo Kayawa.  Elecki was inspired by The Ventures and Surf music. If you like Los Straitjackets , you already like Elecki. As Group Sound took over , Kayawa got into film sountracks , including some of the popular Giant Monster -Sci Fi films. But , his work in that area was also very Psych and Garage oriented.  I think he still records today. I saw video from just a few years ago , and it still sounded like the early Elecki stuff.  I've only recently taken any interest in post - GS Japanese Rock , but , the first Glam band inJapan , Vodka Collins , come recommended by me , and probably several others , here. Vodka Collins was actually lead by  a White guy from the East Coast , Alan Merrill , with two Japanese band members. Man's Ruin put out a CD of their recordings , very Bowie/Bolanesque with a good , hard guitar sound. Merrill moved to the UK ,and had a hit with The Arrows. That song would go on to be one of the biggest Rock singles by a female artist in the last Quarter of the 20TH Century.

"I Love Rock'n' Roll".

• October 11, 2011 5:20 PM CDT
    • Hey i figured i'd also add my project here it's not only garage though but just a big part of it is.
      We are still in the early days working out the concept bit by bit,  feedback is always welcome.

http://curiosityisthecure.tumblr.com/ 

• October 11, 2011 3:12 PM CDT
    • Hey there - if you've already caught my show on Dandelion Radio this month, I suggest you give my colleague The Yank Sizzler a listen - there's so much blues, rock n roll, punk, garage and generally cool shouty music on his show this month!

Check him out here

Cheers!

Pete

• October 11, 2011 2:53 PM CDT
    • Hi there.....glad you like DAM and Niagara of course....methinx the ladies in rock have not had the respect and consideration they shoudl be getting ever since Grace Slick and Janis Joplin hit the scenes many moons ago...it's time for a change...I'm doing my bit to change all this in rock :):)!!!

Zane Arillotta said:

Hey Sleazy! Thanks so much for posting these videos of Niagara! I haven't had time to watch all of them yet but I will! She's as lovely as ever and I'm so proud of her and all of her accomplishments!! She's doin it for all us girls, making us proud of our gender!

• October 11, 2011 2:16 PM CDT
    • Man Or Astroman @ Blueberry Hill, St Louis.

• October 11, 2011 1:23 PM CDT
    • I Sure agree with that , Old School Hero. People still think , if it does'nt have a drum machine , you can't dance to it. Even people who LIKE Gararge Punk from the 60's , 70's Punk , Rockabilly , stuff like that , will argue that it is'nt danceable , or that you can only dance a certain , choreographed way to it.

Now , I like Soul music , too , but , I've always had a short attention span for it. Unless you're talking James Browns' Double LPs from the early 70's , but , it's becoming politically incorrect to play James Brown , if you're DJing.... The softer the rhythms , the more danceable people seem to find it.....But , not always. 

I first got into Punk , and , yes , New Wave (WHICH HAD YET TO BE CO - OPTED BY THE MASS MEDIA , AND TURNED INTO THE HORRID 80'S DANCE HITS THAT ARE NOW SO POPULAR AMONG THE PEOPLE THAT DID'NT HAVE TO LIVE WITH IT ON A DAILY BASIS.) because for people who were awkward trying to dance to the popular stuff , and did'nt have the attention span for dance lessons , Punk was easy to dance to. Plus , there were'nt so many attitudes. You  could just ask someone to dance , or they'd ask you , and , just like that , you were dancing to Rock'n'Roll , for a change. I've been told , Bass is everything. I don't discount it's importance , but , I always followed Guitar and Drums , which is why I still find The Sonics AND The Ramones , and the zillion , now easily obtainable (For the most part ), bands in between  , far more danceable that what is considered hip. 
      I did a Glam Rock set at a club , here , recently . People went nuts.   I had'nt seen so much enthusiasm since the yearly "O'Banion's " and "La Mere" nights (Those were the first two Punk clubs in Chicago. Every year , there's a night dedicated to either or both , and people ( ulp !) dance to Rock'n'Roll . ).John

"It's not Punk Rock , it's New wAVE. It's a totally different head !" - Johnny Slash , Our Fearless Leader.
      John Battles said:

John , You reminded me of a funny story. In my 20's , I'd already been into Garage and Rockabilly for a few years , but , that was in the 80's , when we had to find and buy our own shit .  I had a small income for records , not much. Now  people can obtain really rare stuff for free , but , regardless of age , they tend to glom on to three or four bands and leave it at that. Anyway , I used to know a woman about my age , she was into this stuff that was already dead , The Cure , The Smiths and so forth . I was'nt very enlightened back then . If I did'nt like something ,I would'nt shut the Hell up about it . But , she asked me "OK , If The Cramps became a big group tomorrow , and were all over MTV , would you no longer LIKE them?". I said , "That's a good question. I really don't see how they could become big , unless they turned themselves around completely , and started to sound like U2....which I don't think is possible. But , if that happened , I think I'd still like their old records , just not whatever could have made them big."

There are people in Micronesia  who know The Cramps were Garage before the GARAGE TREND of a few years ago 
      , but , that was because they took all their favorite , yet unpopular, trash culture sounds , and added "The junkiest element of them all: Themselves". The thing was , this young lady got tired of my criticisms (She had a right to. Did'nt mean she had very good taste in music.) , and told me to play something I like , for HER to evaluate. So , I put on a tape that I had with me . She said "This just sounds like what everybody else is doing!" . I told her "This album is (was) about 20 years old!". It was The 13th Floor Elevators' "Easter Everywhere". 
      John Carlucci said:

I totally agree with this part of your post. I've always hated labels. I feel that having preconceived notions and rules in any specific genre stifles creativity. Think about it, if the 13th Floor Elevators were a new band starting out today, how many people would say, "You can't have a jug player in a Garage Band!" lol!

Old School Hero said:.

On a side note: I do think it could go big in a real and honest way. I think this because there are a ton of people who can't stand rap or techno..and that's all you have a choice to dance to these days. I find that pure Rock 'n Roll is quite dancable and could make a huge comeback if done by the right bands, with the right DJ's, and the right people starting it.

• October 11, 2011 10:58 AM CDT
    • Just came across this video on YouTube and remembered the discussion topic here...