Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• October 11, 2011 10:42 AM CDT
    • Yep! Thee Cormans' Halloween Record with Sound Effects. This one just came out... it's on In The Red. They sold out of the glow-in-the-dark vinyl last month, though. :(

I should also plug the Haunted Shack Theater podcast here on the GPPN. It's perfect for Halloween!

http://hauntedshacktheater.garagepunk.com

TeenFink said:

any other modern or recent/current WHATEVER bands have some groovy Halloweenie kinda tunes??? Let's hear 'em!!

• October 11, 2011 10:27 AM CDT
    • What? No one mentioned the HEX DISPENSERS? That means I get to!

"Evil Eye" and "Channel 13 Is Haunted" are both great, but couldn't find vids for 'em. Here are two, though:

Also, Demon's Claws from Montreal!

any other modern or recent/current WHATEVER bands have some groovy Halloweenie kinda tunes??? Let's hear 'em!!

• October 11, 2011 10:00 AM CDT
    • Thrift stores have started fishing records on on-line auction sites before sticking them out, so the good stuff is farther and fewer between now than it was even 10 or so years ago.  I used to find cool stuff all the time, particularly if I was willing to get dirty and flip through the 45s, but now the time to ratio is pretty slim.

• October 11, 2011 9:07 AM CDT
    • Wow, I don't think I've ever found any records of value at any thrift stores. I don't hit enough garage/yard sales or flea markets. When I do, it's usually because I'm after a particular item (like baby/kids stuff!). I only remember seeing 8-tracks and cassette tapes at thrift stores... maybe a few records, but nothing of value. I guess I should start looking again!

• October 11, 2011 8:16 AM CDT
    • my dad gave me a box of the nastiest water damaged records and asked me if i wanted them. I didn't really but i thought i'd look through them anyways and i found a mint condition Merry Christmas from the Sonics, The Wailers, and the Galaxies, which i then proceeded to get autographed by all the original members in all three bands who are still alive. it was crazy. That was the only record without damage. It looked like it had been played maybe once or twice.

• October 11, 2011 9:09 AM CDT
    • "Embedding disabled by request"

TeenFink said:

one of my faves!!

The Mosquitos "He's a Loser" on Gilligan's Island:

http://youtu.be/onh2lNcbHE8?t=28s

is it just me or did youtube do away with their embed codes???????? i wanted to embed it here but couldn't. wtf?

• October 11, 2011 8:38 AM CDT
    • The host of this TV program was Jun Inoue of the Spiders!

I recalled American Soul Spiders.

• October 11, 2011 8:02 AM CDT
    • Oh, I see John did above. Never mind! ;)

kopper said:

I don't think anyone's mentioned the '60s Japanese band The Spiders yet. That's some great stuff, too!

• October 11, 2011 8:01 AM CDT
    • I don't think anyone's mentioned the '60s Japanese band The Spiders yet. That's some great stuff, too!

• October 11, 2011 6:54 AM CDT
    • The first one is not a Japanese band.  I guess they're Chinese, and Looks like the "Girls in the Garage" comp doesn't include any Japanese band, but I'm not sure.

Mina said:

• October 10, 2011 11:52 PM CDT
    • Here's a vid I particularly like by a recent favorite... THE PAPPYS!

Sorry Mike. No west coast plans for Theee Bat as of yet.

Mike said:

Marty,

Are Theee Bat going to make it to the west coast at all?

• October 11, 2011 8:16 AM CDT
    • Actually, I thought it may be a cover version, but I couldn't remember...  Yes, it's same tune, but I don't know if it's the original.

• October 11, 2011 7:58 AM CDT
    • Is that Untamed Youth song actually the Paul Revere & the Raiders' original? Also, good call on "Double Decker Bus" and "Brand New Chevy"!

• October 11, 2011 7:36 AM CDT
    • Mustang - Link Wray

Stingray - Link Wray

Double Decker Bus - Count Five, the Nomads

Night Of The Cadillacs - Generation X

Brand New Chevy - the Devil Dogs, the Muffs

SS 396 - the Untamed Youth

Son Of Mustang Ford - Swearvedriver

Last Train To Satansville - Swearvedriver

• October 11, 2011 6:05 AM CDT
    • Oblivians - Ride That Train

New York Dolls - Subway Train

Sammy Masters - Pink Cadillac

Hal Willis - My Pink Cadillac

Hoyt Stevens - 55 chevy

Baker Knight - Bring My Cadillac Back

there must be a thousand rockabilly songs about the cadillac alone!

• October 11, 2011 8:11 AM CDT
    • I'll add XTC (always loved that band), The Wipers (huge favorite of mine), Lords of the New Church, Suicide, The Fall, Swell Maps, Half Japanese and, although they were around before, during, and after the original punk movement, Sparks!

• October 10, 2011 10:14 PM CDT
    • Seeing as I just finished a biopic on Ian Curtis, I hope a slightly off-topic thread isn't out of order. Which, if any, are your favorite bands of the post punk movement:

Joy Division, Wire, Gang of Four, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Mission of Burma, Public Image Limited, Echo and the Bunnymen, etc.

• October 11, 2011 4:50 AM CDT
    • it must be wonderful to know what you play. we have no idea what we are doing. that is why we are also on the TUVIAN THROAT SINGING HIDEOUT.
      Pat said:

I don't care i play "Surf" !

• October 11, 2011 4:37 AM CDT
    • I don't care i play "Surf" !

• October 11, 2011 4:21 AM CDT
    • "garage" is not "Rock'n'Roll"? it is a distinct music and should not be confused with "Rock'n'Roll"?

Pat said:

So for some people the term "music" itself is being lost... We all should listen to troubadour songs !

Sean Law said:

Much like the term 'Jazz' or 'Rock'n'Roll' itself, the actual definition is currently in danger of being lost. The only way to combat this is to champion the real stuff.

• October 11, 2011 3:40 AM CDT
    • So for some people the term "music" itself is being lost... We all should listen to troubadour songs !

Sean Law said:

Much like the term 'Jazz' or 'Rock'n'Roll' itself, the actual definition is currently in danger of being lost. The only way to combat this is to champion the real stuff.

• October 11, 2011 3:12 AM CDT
    • garage not being "personally trendy" is amazing.

Sean Law said:

Spare us the pseudo-intellectual bullshit please. Those 'Urban Dictionary' (humorous) definitions of 'mainstream' were in fact quite accurate, and I'd hazard a guess that they reflect the opinion of 90% of the people using this site.

Let's get back to the actual question: Is Garage trendy? Tough call. Depends what your definition of 'Garage' is. For me personally, No it's not. A lot of bands currently playing under the 'Garage' umbrella aren't really floating my boat (because they're not really 'Garage'), and they're also not making waves in a big way culturally.

As a side note: did any of you notice the inclusion of The Sonics version of 'Keep A'Knockin' in the debut episode of 'Pan Am'? While I thought that was kinda cool, it also irked me somewhat as it was anachronistic: the story takes place 2 or 3 years before the song was released.

• October 11, 2011 2:09 AM CDT
    • Spare us the pseudo-intellectual bullshit please. Those 'Urban Dictionary' (humorous) definitions of 'mainstream' were in fact quite accurate, and I'd hazard a guess that they reflect the opinion of 90% of the people using this site.

Let's get back to the actual question: Is Garage trendy? Tough call. Depends what your definition of 'Garage' is. For me personally, No it's not. A lot of bands currently playing under the 'Garage' umbrella aren't really floating my boat (because they're not really 'Garage'), and they're also not making waves in a big way culturally.

As a side note: did any of you notice the inclusion of The Sonics version of 'Keep A'Knockin' in the debut episode of 'Pan Am'? While I thought that was kinda cool, it also irked me somewhat as it was anachronistic: the story takes place 2 or 3 years before the song was released.