Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• August 2, 2011 10:43 AM CDT
    • I was just reading up on that! Man, I wish I was anywhere close to that festival. Lest hanging out with the GP crew.

kopper said:

Yeah, I was wondering that, too. Use the "Reply" link under the actual post you're replying to. Makes it easier that way.

BTW, I was at the Scion Garage Fest in Lawrence, but I don't remember seeing Sex Beet. I remember the name being on the little handbills, though. Was most likely at another venue when you guys were playing.

IDON MINE said:

As always, your opinion is respected. Jus' make clear who you are replying to please, there are a couple of different thoughts on the topic swimming round here.

• August 2, 2011 9:37 AM CDT
    • Yeah, I was wondering that, too. Use the "Reply" link under the actual post you're replying to. Makes it easier that way.

BTW, I was at the Scion Garage Fest in Lawrence, but I don't remember seeing Sex Beet. I remember the name being on the little handbills, though. Was most likely at another venue when you guys were playing.

IDON MINE said:

As always, your opinion is respected. Jus' make clear who you are replying to please, there are a couple of different thoughts on the topic swimming round here.

• August 2, 2011 8:09 AM CDT
    • As always, your opinion is respected. Jus' make clear who you are replying to please, there are a couple of different thoughts on the topic swimming round here.

• August 2, 2011 4:27 AM CDT
    • I just stumbled across this and have to comment.

I play in a band called Sex Beet. We're originally from a shitty small city called Leicester, in England. Maybe a bunch of you would call us a hipster band seeing as we're all under 25, but I would see us as a garage punk band.

Last year we got an email out of the blue asking if we'd like to go over to America and play at the Scion garagefest in Kansas, as well as a show in NY and Austin. We've toured in Europe a few times, and love nothing more than playing in new places. Thats the best thing about being in a band. Going to play in America has always been a dream, which never looked likely seeing as we never had any fucking money. Scion offered to cover our travel, so of course we didn't think twice for a second. What the fuck would you have done? Some people really need to fucking grow up. I had the time of my life on both trips to the US, which were both thanks to Scion & Vice. And for the record, we didn't have to write any songs about how amazing Scion are, or do anything that could remotely be seen as "selling out."

I feel like I should also say that I met the guy who's behind this whole project, and he's not what a lot of people seem to think. He's not just some square Scion marketing guy googling "garage rock." He's (clearly) got a great music taste and is genuinely into what he's doing. And he's doing a GREAT fucking job.

If you didn't want to go to either of the (free entry) GarageFests because they had a Scion logo on the poster, you missed out on two amazing line ups FOR FREE, and basically you're a far more pretentious dick than I could ever be. Likewise if you don't want to pick up a free 45 with Oblivions or Dirtbombs etc on. Good luck with that.

Oh and for the record, even after my great sell-out of 2010, I'm still completely broke, and touring Europe for next to nothing in a beaten up old van.

• August 2, 2011 8:04 AM CDT
    • Yeah, Short History is where it is at

• August 2, 2011 7:50 AM CDT
    • Kopper's radio show....... need I say more?

• July 31, 2011 3:56 PM CDT
    • It was hearing 'Come on Kid' by kenny and the kasuals in 1985.

• July 31, 2011 10:12 AM CDT
    • "I Had Too Much to Dream Last Night" by the Electric Prunes did it for me. I had always been fond of sixties rock, but I heard it on the radio one night in my teens and I was fascinated. I mentioned it at a drum shop I frequented, and the chop-worshipping salesman laughed about it, but I knew cool when I heard it, and started picking up individual Nuggets volumes when I could. I finally got the box set when it came out, and the rest was history.

• August 1, 2011 5:37 PM CDT
    • these guys have found the ultimate solution:

• August 1, 2011 5:13 PM CDT
    • thanks man hope you enjoyed the show and the discs yeah budget rock showcase! I love one man bands and started one called the Max Reverb One Man Band but after writing a few songs i added a bass player and maybe a organ player and I'm gonna call it the Max Reverb Sinsation and I'll be playing guitar, drums, and singing. but thats still in the works.

WolfBoy Slim said:

hey i didnt realize you were in crimson ghosts, i was at that show. i also bought the quasi men cd. i think you guys were selling 3 cd's for 5 bucks or something like that!
      Max Reverb said:

my band played with miss firecracker on the last tour shes so nice let us crash at her house

havent heard any of the others women but plan to check em out.

also on that tour played with evan mitchell one man band awesome and the name escapes me now but one of the dudes from knuckle drager has a real good one man band.

• August 1, 2011 3:01 PM CDT
    • Usual suspects in no particular order : THE Rev Beatman, Scott H. Biram, Hollowbelly, Dead Elvis, Hasil Adkins, Honkeyfinger, John Schooley, O Lendário Chucrobillyman, D-66, Hat Fitz, The Amazing One Man Band & His Trashy Little Orchestra also Urban Junior , love the George Formby mention - 'Riding the TT Races' is a classic.

• August 1, 2011 5:20 AM CDT
    • Eugene Chadbourne. I haven't thought about him in a while. He IS great. Crazy guitar, piano, banjo, and rake player. He has put out a LOT of stuff. Besides solo work, he was in a band called Shockabilly, and has collaborated with Camper Van Beethoven, Sun City Girls, Jello Biafra, John Zorn, and many more... I have a bunch of cassettes (he used to sell tapes almost exclusively). Wow! Thanks for jogging my memory. 

Ray Klein said:

Bob Log III is my favorite.

Does anyone know anything about Eugene Chapburn?  I heard him once, along time ago.  He played an electric rake, and I need to hear it again.

• July 31, 2011 9:08 PM CDT
    • Bob Log III is my favorite.

Does anyone know anything about Eugene Chapburn?  I heard him once, along time ago.  He played an electric rake, and I need to hear it again.

• July 31, 2011 2:18 PM CDT
    • Girl side : I liked what I heard from Molly Gene One Whoaman Band.

• July 31, 2011 3:41 AM CDT
    • my band played with miss firecracker on the last tour shes so nice let us crash at her house

havent heard any of the others women but plan to check em out.

also on that tour played with evan mitchell one man band awesome and the name escapes me now but one of the dudes from knuckle drager has a real good one man band.

• August 1, 2011 1:05 PM CDT
    • Ugh, from the statement on the Blog, it doesn't look like the guy will invest anymore time into that, this SUCKS! Let's hope he will take your, or anyones offer with the new set up.

• August 1, 2011 11:18 AM CDT
    • That is too bad. That was an excellent site I'd been to many times.

• August 1, 2011 10:59 AM CDT
    • Apparently, the great Punk Zine Archive has been yanked off the 'net. This sucks! I was really enjoying looking back through all of the PDF scans of old issues of MRR, Flipside, etc. For those who missed it, it was located at operationphoenixrecords.com and there was also a blog: http://punkzinearchive.blogspot.com/

I was able to find it on Archive.org, though. Check this link. Unfortunately, Archive.org doesn't archive attached media, so the PDFs that are linked aren't included.

A couple of weeks ago I commented on the site's Facebook page that I'd be willing to help the guy with storage and setting up something new, but I've yet to get any sort of contact from him. Damn.

• August 1, 2011 10:44 AM CDT
    • Good points. I'd even go further and recommend you draw up an outline of what you're going to play. Bring along a list of songs. I used to plan my shows out in advance—every week—for years. That way you can also plan ahead on what you're going to say about the bands or songs during your breaks. Have some info prepared, like band histories, etc. Do some research on a particular artist and tell a story about them. Not too long, though, but keep it interesting. A lot of people (myself included) don't like to hear a lot of talk on a music show. But short, interesting stories about bands or songs can be fun to both tell and hear over the air.

Another thing I would say is to try and sound like you're into it. I hear SO MANY community radio jocks who sound like they'd rather be anywhere else than where they are. They sound bored, they mumble, they throw in too many "uhs" and "ums," and they're just completely boring to listen to. Get excited, and SOUND excited. Relay the information as if you're telling your best friend about a band you just heard for the first time. Get a co-host if it helps (it usually does), but if you do, don't get sidetracked and start talking about stuff only the two of you understand (like inside jokes, etc.). That's a great way to lose listeners, too.

Always know what bands are coming to town, and don't be afraid to announce and talk about festivals coming up, too. INFORM your listeners. Most of them won't know any of this stuff and will benefit greatly from getting the information from you, and will keep them coming back for more.

• August 1, 2011 1:05 AM CDT
    • I always love the show man. Keep em comin

• August 1, 2011 12:53 AM CDT
    • Awesome! Thanks for the post.

• July 31, 2011 8:42 PM CDT
    • I like The Dollyrots and Selby Tiger.  Both have great lyrics too.

• July 31, 2011 3:52 PM CDT
    • i think its better than the one before and good bad not evil. the sterile sound of the new record doesnt really annoy me, but somehow they sound like they cover themselves a lot.