Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• August 4, 2011 7:46 PM CDT
    • I was born in 1967 and I know how you feel.  I hate that I missed out on the garage rock and British Invasion era (but my luck , I would have been drafted).  But you started off with some good items.  EVERY GOOD BOY DESERVES FUDGE (plus anything related like She's Just 15 and Paperback Life) and HEADCOATS DOWN are my two favorites by those groups.  The other Headcoats albums are great but they really just follow the formula set by that first album (which is kind of just following in the footsteps of other Childish items) but Thee Headcoats were my first purchases of Billy Childish records and I had to work my way backwards as well as keep up on anything else that followed . 

Zentralheizung of Death said:

Born in 1987 i was always pissed i couldnt catch some of the so called grunge movement - but anyways i liked it - and i always got specially hooked by MUDHONEY (i prefere EVERY GOOD BOY DESERVES FUDGE & MARCH TO FUZZ b sides) - they had something in their sound that made them different to the other "grunge" bands - but i couldn´t say what it was - something more rough and "we don´t give a shit" kind of feeling.

Another point was they where using the word FUZZ quite a lot - and the songs which included that word happened to be my favourites - so i started researching - and it all started for me -

they also did a supercool cover of just 15 by the headcoats, their HEADCOATS DOWN lp actually was my next step into the garagewonderland...

I gotta say i really miss that feeling of following a hidden track into the deep swamps of music-history - and feeling like the first to discover hidden treasures, even to discover whole new genres just by reading those little informations on the LP covers .......KICKS JUST GOT EASIER TO FIND!

• August 4, 2011 5:46 PM CDT
    • Sonics have love will travel got me when I heard it on a late night rock show in Belgium called Stercock ,  I was 11 and was not aware this kind of cool even existed.  life changing tune.

• August 4, 2011 1:02 PM CDT
    • Born in 1987 i was always pissed i couldnt catch some of the so called grunge movement - but anyways i liked it - and i always got specially hooked by MUDHONEY (i prefere EVERY GOOD BOY DESERVES FUDGE & MARCH TO FUZZ b sides) - they had something in their sound that made them different to the other "grunge" bands - but i couldn´t say what it was - something more rough and "we don´t give a shit" kind of feeling.

Another point was they where using the word FUZZ quite a lot - and the songs which included that word happened to be my favourites - so i started researching - and it all started for me -

they also did a supercool cover of just 15 by the headcoats, their HEADCOATS DOWN lp actually was my next step into the garagewonderland...

I gotta say i really miss that feeling of following a hidden track into the deep swamps of music-history - and feeling like the first to discover hidden treasures, even to discover whole new genres just by reading those little informations on the LP covers .......KICKS JUST GOT EASIER TO FIND!

• August 3, 2011 11:56 PM CDT
    • the LP I had around since I was a kid was Cheap Thrills by Big Brother so I was into acid rock and then metal but I was working with an older guy one summer when I was about 13 who argued that garage was better. I was successfully converted but not all at once - first he turned me on to higher quality rock than I was used to on the radio, cassettes of Sabbath, Johnny Winter, Motorhead, Deep Purple, Procol Harum, ZZ Top and obscure bands like Stray, Pink Fairies, Bloodrock, Bob Seger System. Then when I trusted his judgment some, he gave me cassettes containing:

Piper at the Gates of Dawn, the Easybeats, Mitch Ryder & Detroit Wheels, bubble gum, Mummies, MC5

That was that.

Eventually I got in bands and discovered WFMU, Norton Records, and got into music history, etc.

One tune that always jars me into astral time travel is "Uptight Tonight" by Flash + The Memphis Casuals [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS38FDJffsk] but the haunting, plodding sincerity in "Truth Gotta Stand" by The Luv'd Ones makes me feel like every song I ever wrote is crass, hokey and a waste of everyone's time.

• August 4, 2011 5:25 PM CDT
    • Indeed awesome! Thanks!

• August 4, 2011 2:11 PM CDT
    • You should check the Southern US group for that.
      http://garagepunk.ning.com/group/southern-us

The Rich Hands said:

I know Memphis inst Nashville, but were from San Antonio trying to book a show Nov 5th in Nashville and exit/in is already booked any other great venues I should be aware of?

thanks

-s

• August 4, 2011 1:09 PM CDT
    • I know Memphis inst Nashville, but were from San Antonio trying to book a show Nov 5th in Nashville and exit/in is already booked any other great venues I should be aware of?

thanks

-s

• August 4, 2011 11:30 AM CDT
    • DAD HORSE EXPERIENCE - 'gates of heaven' currently on repeat!!!!!!

• August 4, 2011 9:07 AM CDT
    • Thanks for the info.  I can do more reaserch now that I have his name spelled correctly!

Andrew Malcolm said:

Eugene Chadbourne. I haven't thought about him in a while. He IS great. Crazy guitar, piano, banjo, and rake player. He has put out a LOT of stuff. Besides solo work, he was in a band called Shockabilly, and has collaborated with Camper Van Beethoven, Sun City Girls, Jello Biafra, John Zorn, and many more... I have a bunch of cassettes (he used to sell tapes almost exclusively). Wow! Thanks for jogging my memory. 

Ray Klein said:

Bob Log III is my favorite.

Does anyone know anything about Eugene Chapburn?  I heard him once, along time ago.  He played an electric rake, and I need to hear it again.

• August 3, 2011 4:13 PM CDT
    • Reverend Beatman, Hasil Adkins, O Lendarion Chucrobillyman and Pete Moser.

• August 3, 2011 3:52 PM CDT
    • die you zombie bastards ruuuuules ; )

Max Reverb said:

HAZE goes without saying for sure

if your a big fa n of hasils def should check out a troma flick some of my buddies made
      die you zombie bastards
      which has HAZE in it shortly before his death

my buddy willy from jumpin beans and the moustaches put out hazes last 7" on his ball records
      guy has hours of cassette tapes of him talking to hasil on the phone from doing the record
      pretty cool

as far as the new guys
      i really dig on JOE BUCK YOURSELF and HAUNTED GEORGE

• August 3, 2011 3:27 PM CDT
    • anyone mention KING LOUIE???  'chinese crawfish' is a simply awesome LP

• August 2, 2011 12:17 PM CDT
    • Hazel Atkins

• August 4, 2011 10:03 AM CDT
    • I recently finished this book, and I really enjoyed it.  Tommy James writes at length about Morris Levy, the owner of Roulette Records who was heavily connected to the mob and was an inspiration for the character of Hesh Rabkin on "The Sopranos."  I just wanted to recommend it to everyone else.

• August 4, 2011 9:56 AM CDT
    • That is the title to a book about the rise and fall of Casablanca Records, written by Larry Harris.  It's a very entertaining look at the music business during the 70s, and I would highly recommend it.  Yes, I know Casablanca was mainly a disco label, but it's still a good read.

• August 3, 2011 3:00 PM CDT
    • Hi,

He's one of those guys who gave me the kick to go one-man by myslef. I know he'll play this week-end in Lille, France. Unfortunately I can not be there (cajun & zydeco fest...). But I really want to see him live. Next time i go to the US, perhaps.

(BTW sorry if my possibly approximate english hurts you...)

• August 2, 2011 1:38 PM CDT
    • Yeah, he's fun. Scott H. Biram

• August 2, 2011 11:19 AM CDT
    • I know there has to be some Biram fans here.....In my opinion, one of the best artists out there today and I'll be seeing him in concert next month in Huntington, WV with Reverend Deadeye opening. I'm excited about seeing him as well.

• August 3, 2011 1:23 PM CDT
    • Actually, I revere them more for the participation of Ron Asheton [THE STOOGES] & Michael Davis [MC5] as well as Jim Shaw [R.I.P. 2010, from cancer.]   Niagara was a beautiful, slender groupie who lived thru all the drugs, made it to lead singer status, and now creates some cool lowbrow art as well [check it out at http://www.niagaradetroit.com/]  One time in the 80's I went to see them at the Pretzel Bowl in downtown Detroit...I think I lost 20% of my hearing that night just from the freakin' soundcheck.  That band could certainly fill any room with glorious noise!

• August 3, 2011 10:17 AM CDT
    • This is NYC and Garage Rock shows for the big boys (Dirtbombs, Gories, Black LIps, etc. ) fill places like the Bowery, but bands like The Woggles, Fleshtones,etc. can barely fill a 100 person venue. Reigning Sound played at the Bell House but I missed the show. The Bellhouse is great, not too big and not too small. It's rectangluar, but the stage is on the long side so no matter where you stand your pretty close to the stage. I would guess there will be more out of towners than actual New Yorkers.

Pat said:

Does anyone knows how many tickets are available ?? is the venue big enough ??

i 'll try to figure how to get there, i've just come back from NY two weeks ago !!!!

• August 3, 2011 10:11 AM CDT
    • gOT MY TICKETS TODAY FOR THE 11/11/11 SHOW..

• August 2, 2011 5:34 PM CDT
    • ALARM CLOCKS! (yeah,reasontobelive???????)

• August 3, 2011 1:02 AM CDT
    • I really like their last album but this new one has actually been growing on me lately but let it bloom is probably my favorite although your right all their stuff is much too similar

Elmar Gimpl said:

i think its better than the one before and good bad not evil. the sterile sound of the new record doesnt really annoy me, but somehow they sound like they cover themselves a lot.

• August 2, 2011 8:01 PM CDT
    • I choose my tracks for the show, then take note on the posts; which songs have the longest instrumental intros.  I plan my airbreaks around those so that I can create a smooth transition into the music. What helps more, though, it taking note of the outros to songs, whether they are cold or fades, or natural endings.  You can cue up the beginning of a track pretty easy, but the end is more difficult.

Listener interaction is key to building a memorable show and creating P-1's. There are no "stupid requests," but you can always guide listeners to something else that may be more appropriate.  Answering the phone line/responding to emails should be taken more like customer service than an arrogant dude on a podium. As a DJ, it's pretty easy to be the latter.

I always try to frontsell, vs backselling.  This way, people who tune in mid-way can still carry on and it keeps people listening through stop-sets. The recording/podcast/playlist posting is for the people who want to check out what has already happened. In the same light, I only talk about gigs that are coming up, and not past ones.  People can't attend a show that has already happened, but your 30-45 second airbreak could bring in a few more ticket sales to next week's gig.

In a music related show, your airbreaks should not deter from your subject. Short and sweet. And don't try to overshadow the the music. Play music you are stoked to play, listeners can hear it!

Also, when having a co-host, continue to talk "TO THE LISTENER" and not "to your cohost." Radio is live, and radio is interactive, keep the audience involved.

• August 2, 2011 1:17 PM CDT
    • John Dwyer from Thee Oh Sees plays that model. He makes it sound easy.