Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• August 11, 2011 4:50 PM CDT
    • gotta be the b sus4 from pinball wizard ,though ill never ever use it in composition

• August 11, 2011 4:48 PM CDT
    • i should mention by obscure garage band i refer mainly to the back from the grave series mainly

• August 11, 2011 4:46 PM CDT
    • im a 14 year old british kid looking to expand my gear ,i play goth infused garage punk ,chief influenses being :the mummies ,the horrors ,the gories ,the outsiders ,the sonics ,thee headcoats ,the stooges and any othe obscure gare group of the 60s and 80s as well as the strokes ,libertines and afore mentiond horrors.

my current setup is a 1960s avon sg copy witha schaller single coil in the middle position that i use for the trebly tone into a vox vt20+ set to model a fender tweed reverb with fuzz ,so id like suggestions for amps guitars and fuzz pedals aswell as the gear used by the above bands or just settings for my vox

thanks.:)

• August 11, 2011 4:37 PM CDT
    • i've got a vox valvetronix ,its not very garage but the vox ac30 and the varios fender models are immense ,ive set it up for  a fender tweed deluxe via a kikass dollop of 60s esq fuzz its an immense tone i call gutter fuzz:)

• August 11, 2011 2:48 PM CDT
    • Nick J

r has a bunch of great music for kids on shows and in between shows too. I saw this in between shows a while ago but just now found it on Youtube. Jack's big music show is another great show focusing on music. There is a great episode with Andrew bird singing in it, The characters also do funny things like play speed polka and swing jazz. when I was a kid i watched re runs of The Munsters and Gilligans island, I actually remember seeing the garage acts in some episodes. I always loved the theme to the Munsters. Don't forget the seek out the Halloween epsiode of Spongebob Squarepants where the ghastly ones play surf tunes! I actually found a CD single with all the tunes from that show. The ghastly ones also gave away the little snippets they played for scene changes on their website  a few years ago. So many  great syles of music have appeared on kids shows, wish I could find them all.

• August 11, 2011 1:16 PM CDT
    • It would have to be the first time I heard Plan 9 - Dealing With The Dead.  Freakin' awesome and opened up another world to a kid from Kansas in NH for college in 1986.  The Lyres too.  Of course this took me to the roots and what can I say, I am still a Garage Punk these many many years later.  Garage rock and roll runs through my veins, brotha's and sista's.

• August 11, 2011 11:06 AM CDT
    • Yeah, the Remains are great! Have you seen the documentary on them? I'm hopin' to eventually catch that soon...One of my fave tunes by them is "I Ain't Got You"...

Ghislaine Korb said:

well...for quiet a while i had been wondering who were these guys singing so beautifully ''but you leave me alone--to cry on my own--thats why you got a heart thats made of stone''...when i got the joy to discover who--i think---are the best,the ones and only...THE REMAINS!!!!All their songs are hits!''Once before'',''Me right now''...Cant sound better than that in terms of garage r-n-r,can you?they are Kings!

• August 11, 2011 10:57 AM CDT
    • well...for quiet a while i had been wondering who were these guys singing so beautifully ''but you leave me alone--to cry on my own--thats why you got a heart thats made of stone''...when i got the joy to discover who--i think---are the best,the ones and only...THE REMAINS!!!!All their songs are hits!''Once before'',''Me right now''...Cant sound better than that in terms of garage r-n-r,can you?they are Kings!

• August 11, 2011 9:03 AM CDT
    • Here are the Sonics!!!

• August 10, 2011 7:35 PM CDT
    • Yeah that Candy Snatchers LP is a classic from the first track to the last! And I friggin' love the M-80's...And yeah, the Hex Dispensers are the shit!

The Hydeouts said:

A couple albums all around the same time----punk rock/ rock n roll leading to more 60's garage and obscurity. Teengenerate "Get Action" and "Smash Hits" was crucial to my exploration into other Crypt stuff (Devil Dogs, BFTG comps, NEW Bomb Turks...**Candy Snatchers S/T LP on safe house (ya know the one where Larry's bleeding on the cover...M80s RED album--got me interested in the Cynics, tell tale hearts, vipers.***off topic--- By the way, the hex dispensers "winchester mystery house, " is the best record I have purchased since the carbonas 1st LP. UNREAL..If ya don't own it...get it.

• August 10, 2011 6:40 PM CDT
    • The first garage record i ever heard was Wooly Bully by Sam The Sham & The Pharoas when i was about seven years, but then i just thought it was a funny song. Anyway, when i was 14, my dad introduced me to the Electric Prunes and the Blues Magoos. I loved 'em both, so later the same year, i got the Nuggets box, and that was really when i got into garage.

• August 10, 2011 5:26 PM CDT
    • A couple albums all around the same time----punk rock/ rock n roll leading to more 60's garage and obscurity. Teengenerate "Get Action" and "Smash Hits" was crucial to my exploration into other Crypt stuff (Devil Dogs, BFTG comps, NEW Bomb Turks...**Candy Snatchers S/T LP on safe house (ya know the one where Larry's bleeding on the cover...M80s RED album--got me interested in the Cynics, tell tale hearts, vipers.***off topic--- By the way, the hex dispensers "winchester mystery house, " is the best record I have purchased since the carbonas 1st LP. UNREAL..If ya don't own it...get it.

• August 10, 2011 1:18 PM CDT
    • Word! Sort of the same thing happened to me, but instead I was disillusioned with grunge and Mexican rock, or alternative rock for that matter. Punk was great, but the Mono Men's sound was a breadth of fresh air. Just straight up loud guitars and a feel good vibe.

Andrew Malcolm said:

After being disillusioned with punk scene for a few years, and not succumbing to the whole "hippie" thing that everyone was getting into, this album was a breath of fresh air. Grunge was great, but I needed something more. "Wrecker" was honest, straightforward, and simple. But at the same time it totally ROCKED OUT!!! 

• August 11, 2011 12:35 PM CDT
    • Arf Arf records..

• August 11, 2011 10:35 AM CDT
    • That's part of it.  Of course, a lot of people also hated it because they just thought the music was horrible.  One friend of mine complained that he thought it had no soul to it.

That reminds me...one of the things I find amusing about "Saturday Night Fever" is that John Travolta and his little gang come across as so tough and macho, and they're all rather racist and homophobic, and yet they dance to music comes from both black and gay subculture.  Go figure.  Another funny moment was in the movie "Detroit Rock City," in which those kids on their way to a KISS concert in 1978 have a run-in with a couple of macho disco guys, and the KISS kids beat them up and put KISS make-up on them, and once disco guy says to the other, "You got the fag make-up on."  I wonder if any disco fans who were like that back then ever noticed the irony.

Lil' Pete said:

I'm too young to appreciate disco's hey day but from what I've read, a lot of anti-disco mentality at the time had to do with society being rather racists and homophobic since disco was born of the two subcultures in America.

• August 11, 2011 10:12 AM CDT
    • I'm too young to appreciate disco's hey day but from what I've read, a lot of anti-disco mentality at the time had to do with society being rather racists and homophobic since disco was born of the two subcultures in America.

• August 11, 2011 9:02 AM CDT
    • The Defibulators came here a couple months back, and I missed them as well...Glad you liked this episode, though!

swt said:

Bitchen! Hisaw's been on my radio show 2 or 3 times. He's in Austin now but originally comes from Las Cruces, NM.

The Defibulators is one of my favorite country bands these days. They played here in Santa Fe a few months ago but I somehow managed to miss them/

I'm digging Glambilly too.

• August 11, 2011 1:30 AM CDT
    • Bitchen! Hisaw's been on my radio show 2 or 3 times. He's in Austin now but originally comes from Las Cruces, NM.

The Defibulators is one of my favorite country bands these days. They played here in Santa Fe a few months ago but I somehow managed to miss them/

I'm digging Glambilly too.

• August 10, 2011 7:57 PM CDT
    • The Ryan Bales Band--"Moonshine"

The Hells Fire Sinners--"A Little Gone A Little Crazy"

Alan King & the Beer Drinking Christians--"Muddy Water"

Pete Berwick--"Beer"

Chicken Shift--"Rusty Caddy"

Glambilly--"City Of Angels"

The Honky Tonk Hustlas--"Ed's On the Prowl"

Joecephus & the George Jonestown Massacre--"Hit the Road"

The Defibulators--"Thin Air"

Bobby Jenkins--"If You Ain't Gonna Take It Off"

Farris Garland--"Preparation X"

Arkey Blue--"Too Many Pills"

Flatt & Scruggs--"Drink That Mash and Talk That Trash"

Joe Buck--"Rock City"

Speedbuggy--"Bitter Man"

Eric Hisaw--"Albuquerque"

Chuck Wagon & the Wheels--"Asshole From El Paso"

http://www.mevio.com/episode/291334/hayride-to-hell-5

• August 10, 2011 5:38 PM CDT
    • On a budget the new (post yr 2000) casios are sleepers - they do quite a good emulation. Such as the CTK 900. Should be able to get it for well under $200 US used.