Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• August 10, 2011 1:16 PM CDT
    • The Pandoras and The Headcoatees

• August 10, 2011 1:34 AM CDT
    • The Breeders!

• August 9, 2011 12:18 AM CDT
    • The Slits!

Alice Bag from the bags ( shes got a great web site.

Dianne Chai from The Alley Cat.

Dido, shes just wonderful.

• August 8, 2011 8:28 PM CDT
    • Heavy Cream!

• August 8, 2011 5:45 PM CDT
    • Girls in rock bands are awesome and should happen more. I especially like girl drummers. For some reason their style fits really well with most garage rock. As for my favorite female rocker, its hard to say, but Karen O is undeniably awesome, especially on the first Yeah Yeah Yeah's record.

• August 10, 2011 1:09 PM CDT
    • That is a very cool story you just shared with us:)  Thanks.

anarchistwood said:

i loves disco - good music is good music - doesn't matter what genre - there's shite disco, there's shite garage - but when it's GOOD it's GOOD. and I love dancing too....

I was introduced to disco at 'school discos' in the late 1970s when i lived in West 'by God' Virginia in the good ol' USA. I was a weird skinny Londoner, and my American school mates used to ask me if I knew the Beatles and could I talk Engerland Talk, which did used to freak me out a lot.

I got SO into dancing in 1978 - Freak Out! So Chic, Jackson 5, ... please don't talk about love to night.... and danced to the very late hour of NINE PEE-EMM! I dressed in terry toweling yellow shorts with go faster stripes and a rainbow boob tube. not that i had any boobs at that point. they made a (startling) appearance a bit later.

being from a girls convent school in Bromley, which is practically a suburb(ish) of South London, and being the only non Catholic at the place meant i was used to being a bit different and a batting for the 'other side'. At the school in the Eastern Pan Handle of West Virginia there were fairly strict divisions in seating it seemed between the white kids and black kids. I was fairly oblivious to this when i first joined the class and sat with anyone. it seemed rather strange now i look back that this arrangement was so strict and i am happy that in London at least these boundaries are not as obvious in most of the schools I have taught in over the last 20 odd years... is it still the same in the USA?

about the disco - having been hanging out with african-american kids in lessons (myself being mixed celtic/judaic and of pale skin) i easily joined my friends at the disco, whereupon i learned that they had the best dance moves and learned to shake my bootie in many new and fabulous ways... i think this tutelage held me in good stead as in later years i did stage dancing in London at big raves - and i owe it all to the 8th grade moves of my pals like Leroy Brown & Loretta Washington, Saturday Night Fever and multiculturalism.

• August 10, 2011 1:08 PM CDT
    • Cool picture:)  It really sums up a moment in pop culture history.

kopper said:

• August 10, 2011 1:07 PM CDT
    • I liked a lot of the songs from the "Saturday Night Fever" soundtrack, especially "Night Fever" by the Bee Gees.  I also liked "Last Chance" by Donna Summer and "Disco Round" by Alicia Bridges.

Joanie Lindstrom said:

I certainly remember it and was fairly anti disco.  Living in Kenmore Sq. Boston, there was the legendary Rat on one side of the street and Narcissus on the other and it wasn't a happy mix.  But I always liked a few songs (i.e. Love Hangover - Diana Ross) and loved Sat. Nite Fever, both way back and now.   Disco has become kind of a cool thing to play these days (some friends spin it out around town and on local radio) but for me, a little goes a long way.

• August 10, 2011 1:04 PM CDT
    • A lot of stuff ends up becoming amusing later on:)  I know how you feel.

rocknpunkdad said:

I hated it back then, but find it amusing nowadays.

• August 10, 2011 12:54 PM CDT
    • i loves disco - good music is good music - doesn't matter what genre - there's shite disco, there's shite garage - but when it's GOOD it's GOOD. and I love dancing too....

I was introduced to disco at 'school discos' in the late 1970s when i lived in West 'by God' Virginia in the good ol' USA. I was a weird skinny Londoner, and my American school mates used to ask me if I knew the Beatles and could I talk Engerland Talk, which did used to freak me out a lot.

I got SO into dancing in 1978 - Freak Out! So Chic, Jackson 5, ... please don't talk about love to night.... and danced to the very late hour of NINE PEE-EMM! I dressed in terry toweling yellow shorts with go faster stripes and a rainbow boob tube. not that i had any boobs at that point. they made a (startling) appearance a bit later.

being from a girls convent school in Bromley, which is practically a suburb(ish) of South London, and being the only non Catholic at the place meant i was used to being a bit different and a batting for the 'other side'. At the school in the Eastern Pan Handle of West Virginia there were fairly strict divisions in seating it seemed between the white kids and black kids. I was fairly oblivious to this when i first joined the class and sat with anyone. it seemed rather strange now i look back that this arrangement was so strict and i am happy that in London at least these boundaries are not as obvious in most of the schools I have taught in over the last 20 odd years... is it still the same in the USA?

about the disco - having been hanging out with african-american kids in lessons (myself being mixed celtic/judaic and of pale skin) i easily joined my friends at the disco, whereupon i learned that they had the best dance moves and learned to shake my bootie in many new and fabulous ways... i think this tutelage held me in good stead as in later years i did stage dancing in London at big raves - and i owe it all to the 8th grade moves of my pals like Leroy Brown & Loretta Washington, Saturday Night Fever and multiculturalism.

• August 10, 2011 12:12 PM CDT
    • I certainly remember it and was fairly anti disco.  Living in Kenmore Sq. Boston, there was the legendary Rat on one side of the street and Narcissus on the other and it wasn't a happy mix.  But I always liked a few songs (i.e. Love Hangover - Diana Ross) and loved Sat. Nite Fever, both way back and now.   Disco has become kind of a cool thing to play these days (some friends spin it out around town and on local radio) but for me, a little goes a long way.

• August 10, 2011 11:55 AM CDT
    • How many of you are old enough to remember disco, and what did you think of it?  Please allow me a moment to get behind some shelter before people start throwing things at me.  I'm also curious to know if anyone here has any amusing anecdotes to share.

I'm asking you this because of this article I just came across.  I'm a Sirius subscriber, and I might give this channel a listen...

Speaking for myself, I actually do like some of the songs from that era, and I do like watching "Saturday Night Fever" whenever I can catch it on cable.  However, I also understand why there was such a backlash against disco.  

Anyway, just another case of me having too much time on my hands.

• August 10, 2011 10:45 AM CDT
    • This video is great! I only wish it were in HD.

• August 10, 2011 9:05 AM CDT
    • Yeah, I've got to agree with Cole. I'm from St. Louis, and I *love* to go to Memphis. Wish I could go down there more often. But I also love to visit Chicago, NYC, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, etc. Like those other places, Memphis is a great town to visit, but unlike some or all of them, it ain't the best place to live. If you really dig what they've got going on in Memphis w/ Goner Records and stuff, then my advice is to try and set something like that up in your own town. Get something going. Book shows, start a band, put out some records, do a DJ night... anything. Get involved with helping to make your town more tolerable. :)

Val C said:

I wish I lived in Memphis. Really really.

• August 8, 2011 11:57 PM CDT
    • No, you don't dude. I live in a small MS town about an hour from Memphis. Memphis has this cool garage music scene....well, Memphis just has a great music scene generally....but that's it. It doesn't have much else to offer. It's a really run down, poor city. To be fair, Gonerfest and Goner Records in general are so much fun that it might make it tolerable.

• August 8, 2011 8:25 PM CDT
    • I wish I lived in Memphis. Really really.

• August 10, 2011 3:35 AM CDT
    • Great topic!

We do a live kids show (5-10 yr olds) about a stuntman with all garage punk music - live and as the 'soundtrack'. The finale is to a Cramps song :-) . We try to show kids a whole world of cool kids stuff that is no longer about and Ghoul Agogo was a huge inspiration - if it wasn't for them we wouldn't think it'd be possible. (this kind of stuff is quite unacceptable in my part of the world).

There's heaps of great old garage punk that is perfect for little weirdos and they have to be exposed to it -- since they'r e not allowed to do anything dangerous nowadays the least we can do for the poor little bugger is play them dangerous music.

People in the USA should check out The Boogers -- a Ramones tribute band for preschoolers.

• August 9, 2011 1:30 PM CDT
    •  

I meant to post this, instead of the Spooks of Bottle Bay twice.

Sorry Kopper, the embed button on Youtube got lost last night.

• August 9, 2011 9:50 AM CDT
    • My kids watched a lot of Backyardigans as kids and ya, there are some amazing music writers for that show. It's all built around backyard imagination and each show has a musical theme (surf music, country, hip-hop, etc.) and they seem to be pretty well rounded. Christ, watch for the constant one-liners when your critters can only remember four words and a melody....toughest car trip EVAH!

kopper said:

For the younger tots, the Backyardigans TV show episodes usually feature some great garage-style kids music (with Farfisa and everything). I was really impressed with the music on that show when my son was still interested in watching it. But now that's he's a bit older, he wants no part of it.

It always made me wonder who was in charge of writing and performing the music for that show.

• August 9, 2011 7:17 PM CDT
    • Destroy All Monsters morphed into Dark Carnival, with Ron Asheton on guitar and his brother Scott on the drums....here's Niagara picking butts off the stage of Call The Office in London Ontario 10/12/90. Yes, they were loud, but it was more than worth it to meet a coupla Stooges and Niagara. Picture is from the Whatwave Archives.

• August 9, 2011 1:50 PM CDT
    • You said it. Hasil is the man.

Alex said:

Hasil is the god of one man bands.

• August 9, 2011 2:14 AM CDT
    • The Mono Men - Stop Draggin' Me Down

• August 9, 2011 12:25 AM CDT
    • Surfin Bird or Wooly Bully.