Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Record Store Day!

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • April 16, 2012 9:23 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Ok, so according to the counter thingy on the the Record Store Day website, Record Store Day will be ensuing at your local wax peddler in four days and two hours.  That's assuming you still have a record store in your town.  In Atlanta, we are in danger of losing one of our most popular record stores, Criminal Records. The store's owner, Eric Levin, is also one of the founders of Record Store Day.  After Criminal announced that they were in dire straits last fall, our community rallied around the store with benefit concerts, fundraisers, and donations, which resulted in a stay of execution for the beleaguered store. 

Hopefully, you will rally around your store this Saturday and take advantage of the insane amount of exclusive releases that will be for sale.  Of course, I am just as excited by the free swag, like the cool record carrying satchel I scored a couple of years ago.  But what release am I most hoping to find?  Why, the Buck Owens Coloring Book with Flexi disc - Duh!  Now what releases are you guys trying to get your grubby hands on?

Turf War - Record Store Day 2011

• May 8, 2012 2:20 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I picked up the JEFF the Brotherhood Live at United 12" which is pretty pysched-out and fuzzy. I also snagged the Pujol "Reverse Vampire" 7" which is really awesome and has a sweet B-side called "Psychic Pain".

• May 7, 2012 7:02 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I agree. But it won't stop gouging , later on , from corrupt individuals. I heard one theif , I mean , merchant , charged $125 for a RSD 45 , after the fact. Enough people jumped in his shit about it. But , it goes without saying , these overpriced items may be rarities to people who never go to record stores , but , labels like Sundazed , much as I like 'em , definitely failed. For $12 a 45 , they could have offered more material that is'nt readily available . But , it was'nt just them. They were just one of the  only labels I had any interest in.

You're better served ,in my humble opinion , supporting the smaller stores who are'nt selling "The vinyls" exclusive to RSD , just offering substantial bargains on their own stock.

• May 6, 2012 2:30 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

My take on it is that if the records labels really wanted to support the independent stores they wouldn't just do it for one day each year. Having one day each year is good for publicity but only gets people who don't usually visit these stores to go there once each year. How about if the labels spread these releases out over the year but still only made them available to independent stores. This would work in two ways, it would get people to the stores more regularly and would also allow those of us who buy the overpriced vinyl they release to spread the cost and not have to take it all in one hit.

Having RSD supplemented over the year with more exclusives would be good for all concerned I reckon.

• May 6, 2012 7:31 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, prices on those "special limited releases" are a bummer. The only thing I could get a hold of, was the TRASHBONES single: The mess I'm in.but it was nice seeing something happen around where I live. Else we only get releases of not so local labels, mostly.

...Oh, it's my 2nd Trashbones post today, take it easy on me though.

Here for the stir

• April 28, 2012 4:36 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The crowds will always be there to see the trendy bands (flavour of the moment, indy or whateverthefuck you call that trash) so what i've done the last 2 years, is get bands i like to play at record store day events. It gives them a little bit of exposure and a few people usually end up digging the bands. It's about the only way i can get kids out to see the bands i like....i'm old but refuse to give up...hahaha

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:

I like going to record stores on any day BUT Record Store Day.  The crowds are ususally there for bands that I don't care about and the stage is usually at the vinyl section (which is never discounted on this day anyway).  I just find it a hassle.

• April 28, 2012 4:20 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I like going to record stores on any day BUT Record Store Day.  The crowds are ususally there for bands that I don't care about and the stage is usually at the vinyl section (which is never discounted on this day anyway).  I just find it a hassle.

• April 27, 2012 12:48 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That's right, I did indeed find the Donny B. Waugh 45 at that Numero show, among other goodies. That was my main destination point on RSD. After that, I bolted straight for the Jazz Record Mart to see Rockin' Johnny play. It was nice out, so I just kept making the rounds of the stores all day. Bought a lot of stuff, even though I mostly stuck to the cheap bins.

John Battles said:

James did you FIND this at the Numero Record Swap?  I know that you "Talked'' to Donny's Bass player , years ago. I recently heard from his Second Cousin , who used to work at Manitoba 's !!

James Porter said:

Yep, Melissa, that's the one I was talking about.

Waugh was supposed to have an album on Vanguard (titled You Better Believe It) but it never came out, even though it was advertised on Vanguard inner sleeves...too bad, because Waugh would have been an excellent addition to that comp of Vanguard's late sixties rock bands that was released on last year's RSD...

• April 26, 2012 10:29 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

OK , I misread this....I thought whatwave dave's comment was James talking....Because , we really only have one official record show in Chicago , proper , anymore.....Personally , I don't care if the people who only dabble in it are'nt getting at all the records before we can....But , SO many people only come out on RSD , and if a store does'nt have the Ltd. Edition items , they turn tail and walk out ,I've seen it happen. BUT , it does'nt help the local stores if so many people only come by once or twice a year....Same with record shows , but , you have to WANT to go to one , around here....cause they ain't 'round hyar a'tall!!!

whatwave dave said:

James: That sums up exactly what i've been seeing on RSD....now if these same people came out to our 2X yearly record shows (and more often to the record stores, once a year is not enough) they might start looking for some of the same gems we are!! And start digging some of the crazy shit that's right here on the Hideout!!!

James Porter said:

John, that's the thing right there. The person who only goes record shopping only once a year is only going to want the obvious - Dylan, Stones, Beatles, etc. Everytime I hear a non-collector flip out over vinyl, it's never the rarities we're into, it's more like the dollar-bin staples we bought long ago. These RSD releases are aimed at that person - the one who finds a copy of the Byrds' Mr. Tambourine Man and thinks they've got an honest-to-goodness collector's item that no one else has.

John Battles said:

Well , there's the irony . Even in the "Ma and Pa" stores , you see ALL these people that never go record shopping EXCEPT on Record Store Day , or 4 or 5 times a year to our once a week. I don't understand why a label like Sundazed can't cough up some rarities ( I guess there were a couple), if they're going to charge the price of an LP (or more) for a single that may , in itself , be exclusive , but not the material

• April 26, 2012 9:45 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

James did you FIND this at the Numero Record Swap?  I know that you "Talked'' to Donny's Bass player , years ago. I recently heard from his Second Cousin , who used to work at Manitoba 's !!

James Porter said:

Waugh was supposed to have an album on Vanguard (titled You Better Believe It) but it never came out, even though it was advertised on Vanguard inner sleeves...too bad, because Waugh would have been an excellent addition to that comp of Vanguard's late sixties rock bands that was released on last year's RSD...

• April 26, 2012 9:42 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

James is right  , though , in Chicago , where we live ,almost all the record stores are out in Bum Fuck , Egypt , Not in the city or neighboring suburbs like Evanston or Skokie (MANY years ago , they tried , but , not enough interest.). They are'nt accessible by public transportation , so , if you want to go to one , somebody has to have wheels. Or James could've been referring to the CHIRP Record Fair , and/or the Numero Record Swap that was part of RSD....I did'nt do either , this year. I hit three stores on RSD , after which I was very tired and very nearly broke....

• April 23, 2012 8:29 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

James: That sums up exactly what i've been seeing on RSD....now if these same people came out to our 2X yearly record shows (and more often to the record stores, once a year is not enough) they might start looking for some of the same gems we are!! And start digging some of the crazy shit that's right here on the Hideout!!!

James Porter said:

John, that's the thing right there. The person who only goes record shopping only once a year is only going to want the obvious - Dylan, Stones, Beatles, etc. Everytime I hear a non-collector flip out over vinyl, it's never the rarities we're into, it's more like the dollar-bin staples we bought long ago. These RSD releases are aimed at that person - the one who finds a copy of the Byrds' Mr. Tambourine Man and thinks they've got an honest-to-goodness collector's item that no one else has.

John Battles said:

Well , there's the irony . Even in the "Ma and Pa" stores , you see ALL these people that never go record shopping EXCEPT on Record Store Day , or 4 or 5 times a year to our once a week. I don't understand why a label like Sundazed can't cough up some rarities ( I guess there were a couple), if they're going to charge the price of an LP (or more) for a single that may , in itself , be exclusive , but not the material

• April 23, 2012 2:42 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Careful with that 45 -- just saw it listed for 45 Euros online (close to $60 US) ... First day I heard the A side of that I played it a ridiculous number of times... In fact, I think I'll play it again now... Thanks to the magic of Kopper's Hideout, I can do just that...

Mel, dreaming of what an entire LP of Waugh's guitar would have sounded like. Crayyyyzeeee maaaaaaaaaan. Anybody else on the GPH who hasn't heard that track... well... when you do, turn it up REALLY LOUD. m

• April 23, 2012 1:14 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• April 23, 2012 1:12 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

• April 22, 2012 11:36 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

James: NARCE find -- I do so love that... (it's on my playlist/profile) :D

This is the one you refer to?

That guitar on "You Better Believe It" drives me crayyyyzeeee. And you know who's fault that is...

• April 22, 2012 11:06 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Record Store Day?
      Well, I bought several old 45s, and one of them was Donny B. Waugh's primal 1969 single on United Artists, "You Better Believe It" b/w "C'mon Everybody." John Battles knows the score. PARTY TIME!!!

Now THAT'S a record Sundazed should reissue!

• April 22, 2012 10:06 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well , there's the irony . Even in the "Ma and Pa" stores , you see ALL these people that never go record shopping EXCEPT on Record Store Day , or 4 or 5 times a year to our once a week. I don't understand why a label like Sundazed can't cough up some rarities ( I guess there were a couple), if they're going to charge the price of an LP (or more) for a single that may , in itself , be exclusive , but not the material...I had a better time shopping in the  stores that were half - empty. People would come in , and leave , immediately , if they were told the store was'nt carrying RSD items. One of my locals is STILL trying to get rid of RSD stuff dating two years back , at 1/2 price , and I mean GOOD records ,  in most cases.

whatwave dave said:

Ken:

I think you're right on about this...it's all about these overpriced Record Store Day Specials....limited edition, overpriced, a lot of mainstream acts, re-issues, the trendy indie act of the day etc... An overabundance of records. To me, it looks like a cash grab by certain record labels, to sell stuff that would collect dust if it was released at any other time.

It's supposed to be about the indy record stores, the ones that sell the local singles, the hard to find imports, the re-issues, the garagepunk releases, the unauthorized live records, the used stuff, etc etc...The place where they know your name when you walk in the door and say something along the lines of 'we just got this stack of records in, and there's a couple that you probably want if you don't have them already'. The place where you never have enough coin to get everything you want, but you know it'll probably still be there next visit. The place where you bring your out of town buds who find something they've been looking for ages and get totally stoked! That's the place! And i sure don't need RSD Specials to visit, it's just extra clutter that gets in the way of what i'm looking for! And besides, i can't justify spending well over $10 (some were as high as $16!!) for a 7" of material i already have in a different form.

And no, i didn't buy any of the specials, dug through the singles boxes and found a half dozen or so that i'm spinning now and really digging!

Ken said:

That said...  and speaking as a former record store owner... I think Record Store Day has become kinda flawed.  The basic idea that there should be an appreciation day for these great local shops is a good one, but right now its primarily focused on the RSD specific goodies as the impetus for getting folks into the shop.  The good record stores for that day have become synonymous with the ones that can lay their hands on the most goodies.  (To be subsequently run up on ebay the next day to capitalize on their "scarcity.")

• April 22, 2012 9:57 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You scored. Sounds like you got more for free than you might have for $100 on RSD. Just sayin'.

Jersey City Mods said:

We had to miss out on RSD due to work, but part of the job this day was picking the bones of a video store in Greenwich Village that lost its lease.  Long story, but they called us.  We picked up a lot of classic films on DVD for our respective work libraries, but we also managed to get some for our own personal library.  "Privilege", the British version of "Wild in the Streets" with Paul Jones from Manfred Mann. The Slade movie, "Slade in Flame". A non-bootleg version of "Ladies and Gentlemen, the Fabulous Stains" and, best of all, the first season of the Britcom "Hippies", loosely based on the young Richard Branson's revolutionary days prior to establishing Virgin Records. It's a PAL-to-NTSC conversion, but it looks great.

We'll go record shopping next week-end when it isn't so crowded.

• April 22, 2012 6:10 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ken:

I think you're right on about this...it's all about these overpriced Record Store Day Specials....limited edition, overpriced, a lot of mainstream acts, re-issues, the trendy indie act of the day etc... An overabundance of records. To me, it looks like a cash grab by certain record labels, to sell stuff that would collect dust if it was released at any other time.

It's supposed to be about the indy record stores, the ones that sell the local singles, the hard to find imports, the re-issues, the garagepunk releases, the unauthorized live records, the used stuff, etc etc...The place where they know your name when you walk in the door and say something along the lines of 'we just got this stack of records in, and there's a couple that you probably want if you don't have them already'. The place where you never have enough coin to get everything you want, but you know it'll probably still be there next visit. The place where you bring your out of town buds who find something they've been looking for ages and get totally stoked! That's the place! And i sure don't need RSD Specials to visit, it's just extra clutter that gets in the way of what i'm looking for! And besides, i can't justify spending well over $10 (some were as high as $16!!) for a 7" of material i already have in a different form.

And no, i didn't buy any of the specials, dug through the singles boxes and found a half dozen or so that i'm spinning now and really digging!

Ken said:

That said...  and speaking as a former record store owner... I think Record Store Day has become kinda flawed.  The basic idea that there should be an appreciation day for these great local shops is a good one, but right now its primarily focused on the RSD specific goodies as the impetus for getting folks into the shop.  The good record stores for that day have become synonymous with the ones that can lay their hands on the most goodies.  (To be subsequently run up on ebay the next day to capitalize on their "scarcity.")

• April 22, 2012 3:06 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

We had to miss out on RSD due to work, but part of the job this day was picking the bones of a video store in Greenwich Village that lost its lease.  Long story, but they called us.  We picked up a lot of classic films on DVD for our respective work libraries, but we also managed to get some for our own personal library.  "Privilege", the British version of "Wild in the Streets" with Paul Jones from Manfred Mann. The Slade movie, "Slade in Flame". A non-bootleg version of "Ladies and Gentlemen, the Fabulous Stains" and, best of all, the first season of the Britcom "Hippies", loosely based on the young Richard Branson's revolutionary days prior to establishing Virgin Records. It's a PAL-to-NTSC conversion, but it looks great.

We'll go record shopping next week-end when it isn't so crowded.

• April 22, 2012 10:36 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I didn't end up getting any RSD exclusives, but I did end up with a few 7"s I've wanted. Two from local Winnipeg bands Up'n'Atom (a hardcore punk kinda band) and The Vibrating Beds (great garage band in the vein of The Detroit Cobras).

We had a bit of a setback in the complete burning/ gutting of one of our beloved indie record stores War On Music two days before RSD. Sad times.

• April 21, 2012 9:48 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Just got back from RSD. Did'nt buy any of the "Premiums" ($12 for new 45s of material I already have is kind of pushing it , but , that's how I ride....Right into a ditch.). Was going to get the Lee Hazelwood 2 LP set , but the store was jam - packed , and the line was ridiculous. So , I went to the less popular stores my friends own ( The owner at the other store is a very cool guy , too.). I found the Kenny and The Kasuals Komp on some Greek label , and I was sure glad to. I know I kvetched and moaned about the serious dearth of their material (Barring the CRAP EVA Records comps I've had to settle for , for 25 - plus years.).

• April 20, 2012 12:22 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

OK , I CONFESS MY IGNORANCE ....i DID'NT KNOW THE BUCK OWENS COLORING BOOK / FLEXI DISC WAS SOMETHING ORIGINALLY MEANT FOR RELEASE ON RSD. I THOUGHT YOU MEANT SOMETHING THAT CAME OUT , BACK IN THE DAY. IT COULD HAVE ! IF YOU CARE TO PERUSE MY PAGE , YOU'LL SEE TENNESSEE ERNIE FORD HAWKING HIS SAUSAGE AND BISCUITS CHAIN ON A 2 45 SET !

• April 20, 2012 12:19 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

THANKS , MOLE. I love how some of those sleeves resemble the Hip Pocket Records.

Mole said:

For real! Check it out:

http://www.sundazed.com/shop/rsd2012.php

John Battles said:

You're killing me ! They're doing all of those in one fell swoop? Seems like they usually have just one or two 45s for RSD. Guess I'll have to wake up before 10 , now...

Mole said:

All the neato 45s that Sundazed are peddling - Chocolate Watchband, Bloos Magoos, Captain Beefheart, Byrds, Gene Clark etc. All top gear!!!

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel