Forums » Continental U.S.

List of newest posts

• April 29, 2011 10:30 PM CDT
    • My brain must've been flickering when I went past your original post.  Sorry 'bout that.  But glad we agree.

ELECTROMAGS said:

The Sights were one of the first ones mentioned in this thread, for the same reasons you mention.

Blair said:
      Nobody's mentioned The Sights?  Seriously?  Eddie Baranek has gone through a number of different lineups, but ALWAYS gets very talented musicians.  AND the songs are great.  And he's a fantastic performer.

• April 28, 2011 8:55 PM CDT
    • The Sights were one of the first ones mentioned in this thread, for the same reasons you mention.

Blair said:

Nobody's mentioned The Sights?  Seriously?  Eddie Baranek has gone through a number of different lineups, but ALWAYS gets very talented musicians.  AND the songs are great.  And he's a fantastic performer.

• April 28, 2011 7:51 PM CDT
    • I'll also second the emotions on The Paybacks, The Dirtbombs, The Detroit Cobras, and so many more.

And especially The Gories.  I was lucky enough to see them a bunch in the late 80s into the early 90s (and also went to the Detroit gig in '09, then saw all the NYC area gigs last summer).  They were great back then and are still fantastic now.  Heck, The Gories caused me to start my fanzine back in September, 1990.  I remember sending the first ish - at the time, it was a 4-page newsletter that I was trying to do every couple weeks - off to Peg.  She told me (not quite in these words) to cool it on the stupid pen names and just go straight at it.  And she was right.  (Last year, when I brought it up, she basically said, "I can't believe I said that!  I'm so sorry."  I told her there was no need, 'cuz she was right.  Lucky for me, I've got those early issues hidden away somewhere.  I'll find 'em next time I move.)

• April 28, 2011 7:44 PM CDT
    • Nobody's mentioned The Sights?  Seriously?  Eddie Baranek has gone through a number of different lineups, but ALWAYS gets very talented musicians.  AND the songs are great.  And he's a fantastic performer.

• April 28, 2011 7:41 PM CDT
    • Loved these guys.  "Monkey Bars" was great.  I got to see them in Rochester, NY in the mid-80s sometime.  Damn good show.  Wish I could've gone to the reunion gig a year or two back.

Rev Velveteen Sly said:

Hysteric Narcotics -- one of Dave Feeny's earlier bands [Tempermill Studios.]

• April 27, 2011 8:15 PM CDT
    • Only one group comes to mind right know ummmmm

THE PLEASURE SEEKERS!!!! all girl garage band, suzie quatro 60's punk band

and maybe somebody already mentioned The GORIES

• April 26, 2011 9:57 PM CDT
    • These guys are amazing live, played with em once in detroit. Humanity will Fall like pins is an amazing record. One of my favorite instrumental bands going now for sure. 

pistol*b said:

the amino acids!

• April 26, 2011 9:52 PM CDT
    • The mother fucking AMINO ACIDS!!!!

• April 26, 2011 4:12 PM CDT
    • yeah, that's them. where did they go?

KK Dirty Money said:

The ones that signed to Sub Pop?

ash said:
      Big Chief..? perhaps not garage or punk, but definitely from Detroit. and pretty damn good!

• April 26, 2011 3:00 PM CDT
    • Red Red Red is pretty sweet.  It's Ryan from the Piranhas' band.  They got a couple of LPs out on Big Neck.

• April 26, 2011 2:51 PM CDT
    • Ha-ha... not sure.  I think you know far more then I.  But, if I do hear of anything I will give ya a heads up.

• April 29, 2011 5:15 PM CDT
    • Oh yeah, I forgot i'm djing in canada. Killer diller is taking over the great white north!

• April 29, 2011 3:43 PM CDT
    • that weekend has the above & electric mess in canada i believe but i'm sure there will be some good shows. usually these things pop up on the radar a couple of weeks in advance.

• April 29, 2011 10:56 AM CDT
    • What kind of food do you want to eat?
      Great Jones Cafe is perfect for lunch and drinks(New Orleans styled Southern food). Christophe and I eat there a lot.
      Dumont, in Williamsburg, has an incredible burger and great mac'n'cheese.
      By my house, in Greenpoint, there's this great seafood place with a cheap lobster dinner (only $18 for a whole lobster and fries!) and other great food for little money.
      Crif Dog is a truly American experience. It's a hot dog place that will make you a major fat ass, but it tastes great. They've got two locations, one in Williamsburg and one in East Village.
      Trailer Park in Chelsea is worth a visit. Tacky decorations and greasy food.
      Peter Luger is a famous Brooklyn steak house.
      Head down to Coney Island for awesomely nasty food, rides, a freak show, and the beach.
      If you want pizza, i'll give you a list of places.
      I'm on my phone at work right now, but I can send more suggestions when I get to a proper computer.

• April 29, 2011 2:52 AM CDT
    • well i'm landing on tuesday 7th and leaving back on monday 13th !

(i m playing with The dwarves in France on the 14th ! so i had to shorten my trip...)

• April 28, 2011 10:18 AM CDT
    • what dates are you in town? there's a music festival the first weekend of june.  i believe we've got a Hullabaloo! with Twin Guns on June 17...

• April 28, 2011 9:44 AM CDT
    • thanks !

i was planing to go to beauty, motor city... i'll maybe try the other places but 6 days is short !

For the restaurants , i heard about the Delicatessen, Katz...

I didn't found any interesseting gigs yet

• April 26, 2011 9:32 AM CDT
    • I only get to NYC once a year but there are some fun things in Manhattan.  Motor City, Cake Shop in LES, Beauty Bar on E. 14th, Lit Lounge in East Village.  Stop by Mark for $2 sliders (on St. Mark's Pl) and interesting beers.  If you want to do something fancy one nite, get a cocktail at the Flatiron Lounge on W. 19th, cool deco bldg and excellent drinks.  Go early to avoid the crowds.

• April 28, 2011 3:18 PM CDT
    • Harlis from Bastard Winos here! Does any one have suggestions on  cool bands and joints to play in the wild west region? we're always looking for cool people, bands and venues to befriend!

• April 26, 2011 1:41 PM CDT
    • So what's a poor northern gal supposed to do on a Sunday nite in Montgomery?  I'll take a fancy cocktail at an interesting bar at this point if there are no rock options that day.

• April 26, 2011 1:37 PM CDT
    • Kill, Baby...Kill! will be coming through Tuscaloosa on Friday, June 24th at The Green Bar. We are playing with Piss Shivers. Mark your calendar and be sure to introduce yourself.

• April 26, 2011 12:34 PM CDT
    • Admittedly, I am doubtless out of touch.  Thanks for correcting me.  I will watch for those bands & y'all!

• April 26, 2011 10:07 AM CDT
    • No Garage Scene? What the hell... You guys have Necronomikids and Piss Shivers. Also, Diakaiju plays there all the time. Even more, my band Kill, Baby...Kill! play Egan's quarterly....

• April 26, 2011 10:15 AM CDT
    • You might have better luck posting this in your regional group forum. Try the Northeast US group. Thanks.