Forums » Continental U.S.

List of newest posts

• April 26, 2011 9:14 AM CDT
    • Oz Music in T-town is good, not great.  No garage scene here to speak of (we sort of have the Dexateens--most members live in Bham & do their main projects [e.g., 13 Ghosts]--& a smokin' hot tween band called The Motions, but I don't think any of the UA students know about them).  Not worth going out of your way for, but if you happen to take 20/59, might as well.

• April 26, 2011 8:49 AM CDT
    • Thanks for the info on Alabama Music Box and Head on the Door.  Decent show at AMB one nite I'm in Mobile.  Is HOTD open on Sun.?  That's the only nite I'm in Mont.  I know it's not a music nite if it is open.  I'm afraid my route is now set in stone so if it's not Mob, Mont, Tup, Oxf, Vicks or Biloxi/Gulfport, I won't be seeing it.  Any other bars, cafes, or record stores to recommend?  Is Oz Music in Tuscaloosa good?  Does Purple Haze or Uncle Bucks in Oxford still exist?  Thanks.

• April 25, 2011 3:27 PM CDT
    • Bottle Tree is good club in Birmingham.

• April 26, 2011 9:14 AM CDT
    • Hey Max, if only I could FIND a band down here!!!  Been jamming around a bit but having a hard time finding folks who really dig the same stuff I do....how things for you?  Elisa

• April 26, 2011 9:10 AM CDT
    • Cool, that's what I thought. Are any of the other Dirty's doing anything?

I love that record that Crypt put out by them.

I know Larry passed (my band, ELECTROMAGS, played his memorial show October of 2009 at the Roche in Port Huron), and I used to work with Marc Watt at a restaurant in Ann Arbor back in 2001 (but he was fired pretty quickly, go figure) and he and I were talking about putting a band together, but it never got far. The drummer played in Bantam Rooster, but any word on other stuff any of those guys have done?

Stacy Ann said:

Yep, it is.

KK Dirty Money said:

Hey, the Joe Dirty tunes are my favorites so far, too. 

Is this the same Joe Dirty from the Dirtys (from Port Huron)?

I love that band.

Stacy Ann said:

Looks like you guys have just about everything covered.  Check out www.beehiverecording.com, free downloads. A friend and veteran of the detroit garage rock scene, Steve Nawara, recently started this recording company.  A particular favorite of mine is The Joe Dirty Show.

• April 26, 2011 8:23 AM CDT
    • Yep, it is.

KK Dirty Money said:

Hey, the Joe Dirty tunes are my favorites so far, too. 

Is this the same Joe Dirty from the Dirtys (from Port Huron)?

I love that band.

Stacy Ann said:

Looks like you guys have just about everything covered.  Check out www.beehiverecording.com, free downloads. A friend and veteran of the detroit garage rock scene, Steve Nawara, recently started this recording company.  A particular favorite of mine is The Joe Dirty Show.

• April 25, 2011 5:05 PM CDT
    • Sadly, most of Destroy All Monsters has passed away, but Niagara is still going strong, doing well, and looking great! She was the ultimate punk pinup -- forget Debbie Harry. :-)

Erske Storsvedja said:

The "supergroup" Destroy All Monsters were pretty cool. Featured members from MC5 and The Stooges among others.

• April 25, 2011 4:38 PM CDT
    • The ones that signed to Sub Pop?

ash said:

Big Chief..? perhaps not garage or punk, but definitely from Detroit. and pretty damn good!

• April 25, 2011 4:17 PM CDT
    • Big Chief..? perhaps not garage or punk, but definitely from Detroit. and pretty damn good!

• April 25, 2011 11:28 AM CDT
    • Lili's 21 is now called The Painted Lady (still same kind of vibe: very divey and a lot of no-goodniks hang out there; lots of punk, rockabilly, garage bands play). My band, Las Drogas, just played the Hamtramck Blowout there this year. The Polish Muslims hardly play anymore, but the recordings and band members are still lurking around out there. Hamtramck is the best/most vibrant neighborhood for live music in the whole Detroit area. There are some other great venues, but when it comes to a town that you can barhop to several good local shows all in one night, Hamtramck has always been the place.

Rev Velveteen Sly said:

Some of those guys still play in the Polish Muslims, who have a couple CDs out. Art Lyzak's mom Lili ran one of the first and best punk clubs in Hamtramck, called Lili's of course.

Brian T. Kirchner said:

The band that ruled the alternative scene in the mid-'70s to the early '80s was The Mutants. Unfortunately, all they left behind was two singles and a cut on a Detroit comp. A later incarnation of the band released a six-song e.p. Humorous rock and roll similar to the early Dictators, though they date back to the late '60s. J. Kordosh of Creem magazine was the bass player(John Amore). They are quite possibly my favorite band of all time.

• April 25, 2011 11:23 AM CDT
    • Yeah, Bantam Rooster were originally from Lansing, Mi (I think, but did all their shows and stuff and/or relocated to Detroit) Jim Diamond (Ghetto Recorders) would play in Bantam Rooster sometimes (as kind of like a guest musician, etc.)

Will said:

They weren't originally from Detroit but didn't Bantam Rooster move there?

• April 24, 2011 2:11 PM CDT
    • Some of those guys still play in the Polish Muslims, who have a couple CDs out. Art Lyzak's mom Lili ran one of the first and best punk clubs in Hamtramck, called Lili's of course.

Brian T. Kirchner said:

The band that ruled the alternative scene in the mid-'70s to the early '80s was The Mutants. Unfortunately, all they left behind was two singles and a cut on a Detroit comp. A later incarnation of the band released a six-song e.p. Humorous rock and roll similar to the early Dictators, though they date back to the late '60s. J. Kordosh of Creem magazine was the bass player(John Amore). They are quite possibly my favorite band of all time.

• April 24, 2011 2:09 PM CDT
    • Hysteric Narcotics -- one of Dave Feeny's earlier bands [Tempermill Studios.]

• April 24, 2011 1:23 PM CDT
    • The Dogs

• April 23, 2011 9:31 PM CDT
    • The band that ruled the alternative scene in the mid-'70s to the early '80s was The Mutants. Unfortunately, all they left behind was two singles and a cut on a Detroit comp. A later incarnation of the band released a six-song e.p. Humorous rock and roll similar to the early Dictators, though they date back to the late '60s. J. Kordosh of Creem magazine was the bass player(John Amore). They are quite possibly my favorite band of all time.

• April 23, 2011 6:32 PM CDT
    • They weren't originally from Detroit but didn't Bantam Rooster move there?

• April 24, 2011 1:19 PM CDT
    • Yeah, I did!

• April 21, 2011 3:22 AM CDT
    • héhé

did you receive our demo (the cavaliers) ?

Killer Diller Records said:

OK, shit, yeah, I know who you are now.  Christophe and I are finishing the third issue of Bananas today!

• April 20, 2011 11:30 AM CDT
    • OK, shit, yeah, I know who you are now.  Christophe and I are finishing the third issue of Bananas today!

• April 20, 2011 9:43 PM CDT
    • it does   thnksa

• April 20, 2011 8:24 PM CDT
    • I'm not a promoter, nor do I play in any bands, but if you want to play here in Pittsburgh, I would recommend playing at the 31st Street Pub, and I would also recommend sharing a bill with the Cynics.  The Cynics have a page at this site.  As for the Pub, here is a link to their website....

http://www.31stpub.com/home.html

I hope this helps.

• April 20, 2011 5:13 PM CDT
    • Hey cave kidz and kittenz, my band Caterwaul Of Sound (free d/l at www.caterwaulofsound.com)  needs to line up some shows OUTSIDE of NYC in may/june/july/august.

can anyone hook us up? looking for shows on bills with punk, garage and protopunk bands in PA, CT, MA and any other states.

• April 20, 2011 11:57 AM CDT
    • No problem, I hope he contacts you guys(and that you make it back to Boston soon).

The Memphis Morticians said:

Awesome! Thanks man, much appreciated.

Drew Smith said:
      Damn, and for once I regret not playing drums.  I forwarded this on to a buddy of mine who's a bad-ass garage drummer in New York.

• April 20, 2011 11:39 AM CDT
    • Awesome! Thanks man, much appreciated.

Drew Smith said:

Damn, and for once I regret not playing drums.  I forwarded this on to a buddy of mine who's a bad-ass garage drummer in New York.

• April 20, 2011 11:24 AM CDT
    • Damn, and for once I regret not playing drums.  I forwarded this on to a buddy of mine who's a bad-ass garage drummer in New York.