Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• August 24, 2013 10:26 AM CDT
    • Radio What Wave Playlist for Aug 22/2013

This was my first show back after a 2 week hiatus and Jesse Trash (It's Trash, Fridays from 6 to 8PM on CHRW) filled in quite nicely!

Also this is my first attempt at posting in the new Garagepunk Hideout!

1. The Crashtones (featuring Dave Rave)...Rock The Party.... from the Dave Rave Anthology Volume 1. Big THANX to Dave Rave coming in on Aug 1st to yammer about all the amazing bands he's been in...ie Shakers, Teenage Head, Agnelli and Rave....

2. The Draughtsmen...Lightning Strikes....brand new from a newly named band from London Ontario...they were known as The Nasty Rashes a few years back and now they've decided to reform the band with a new name.

3. Hurricane and Able....Who's That Girl....more brand new local stuff, this band hasn't even played out yet!

4. Dustbin Flowers...Bayside Jenny....again, another brand new London Ontario band. This one features Jeffy B, who is in more bands than i have fingers and toes (and no, i'm not an amputee!). Great pop sounds here.

5. Gatagas...Don't Wanna...more new London Ontario stuff....these guys are playing Sat Aug 31 at Call The Office.

6. Bitchlove...Picket Fences....more new local stuff. 

7. Bath Salts...don't now the name of this one, but it was recorded from Just Another Punk Show (Fridays 8 to 10PM on CHRW) and was a live to air on 8/16/2003. Yet another new London band....must be something in the air.

8. Lisa Doll.... Bubblegum Boy...from a soon to be released EP and Lisa is playing Sat Aug 24th at the Bovine in Toronto.

9. Lisa Doll...Outsider....as above.

10. Black Rainbows....Boring On The Phone...from a demo and they will be playing with Lisa Doll and then again on Aug 30th with the Blue Demons below.

11.Blue Demons...Cougar Country....from their only 7" and they will be playing at This Ain't Hollywood in Hamilton on Friday Aug 30th.

12. The Evil Eyes...Good As Gold...from their only 7" and they will be playing with the Blue Demons above.

13. Agnelli and Rave...Company Man....from the Rave On CD, tribute to The Reducers, the 80's band from Connecticut.

14. Fran Fried w/The Backstabbers....Out Of Step....as above.

15. Barrence Whitfield and The Savages...The Corner Man...from their brand new CD on Bloodshot Records. Found that one in the CHRW onair library. Barrence is back w/Peter Greenburg, one of my fave guitarists. Peter served time in The Customs, DMZ, Lyres and many others.

16. Shark Week....Go West...from their brand new 7". From DC, this band opened up for Sonny Vincent at Call The Office a coupla weeks ago and blew me away!! This band is way better live and i'd recommenc seeing them if you ever have a chance!

17. Rock and Roll Monkey and The Robots...Ginger Snap...from their brand new LP, Rocket Trash. This is their first release on vinyl and like the 4 CD's prior, it's great stuff!

18. Light Bulb Alley....Jemon's Jaws...from their soon to be released CD on Ricochet Sounds outta Montreal.

19. Wastrel...Stop Me Before I Kill Again...brand new and features the son of Deja Voodoo's Gerard van Herk. This band has only played out once so far.

20. Rosy Red...Cavin' In....Brantford band that broke up and has reformed with a few changes and a new name...can't remember the name, brain fart.

21. Ray Condo.....Big Dog, Little Dog....from the 7" memorial CD that came out a few years ago. There is a book being written about Ray Condo, by Gayle Hurmuses. It's going to be called Ray Condo's Rock'n'Roll Party. There's a facebook group for it.

22. Ray Condo and His Hardrock Goners...Sweet Love On My Mind...from the A-Billy 7" we released with What Wave 18 way back in 1989.

23. Blue Oyster Cult....This Ain't The Summer Of Love...from the Agents Of Fortune Lp and a tribute to Alan Lanier who passed away last week.

24. Blue Oyster Cult...Cities On Flame...from their self titled LP.

25. Blue Oyster Cult...Revenge Of Vera Gemini...from Agenst Of Fortune LP.

26. The Scams....Me And The Boys....from the One Night Of Mayhem CD on Zorch Productions outta Sweden. Thanx Tobba!!!

Big thanx to all the crazy phone calls, emails, facebook messages etc....Yep, my eye is much better and big thanx to Dr Tom ane the staff at Ivey Eye Clinic for putting all the pieces back where they should be.

Back again next week with another 90 minutes of rock action!

Here's a link to the podcast:

http://chrwradio.ca/content/radio-what-wave

Just click on previous shows and go to Aug 22nd.

• August 24, 2013 9:36 AM CDT
    • I will be on the air and the web on Saturday Agust 24th from 1:00-3:00PM EST. You can listen at 89.7 WITR-FM in Rochester, NY or streaming live at http://witr.rit.edu .

• August 23, 2013 7:21 PM CDT
    • I don't think anyone with sense would be offended by somebody not knowing Akron is'nt part of Cleveland....Many years ago , I met David Thomas , and he took offense , for real , because I did'nt know Pere Ubu was'nt from Akron.....Akron was so closely associated with Cleveland , back then (The 80's) , and I'd heard and read , at the time , that they were from The Rubber City. It's like not knowing Ann Arbor is'nt part of Detroit. Common knowledge , yes , but , if you don't live there , and have never been there , you might not care so much. We have about a hundred suburbs  here in Chicago. I could probably name 8 or 10 , off the top of my head. It's not personal , if I'm never there , I don't give it much thought.......On the other hand , the best (In my oft - contested view.) Chicagoland Punk Rock band was/ is The Mentally Ill , and they're from Deerfield. 

• August 22, 2013 9:13 AM CDT
    • Watched a bit of that Akron doc a few days ago. Cool stuff! Not meaning to offend anyone, but i always assumed Akron was just like a part of Cleveland. Didn't know it was seperate city.

• August 23, 2013 5:02 PM CDT
    • 8/23/13 Zero Hour Playlist

12:31PM Roy & the Devil's Motorcycle “When We Were Young” from Because of Women (2013) on Voodoo Rhythm

12:36PM Doo Rag “Bam” from What We Do (1996) on Dependability

12:40PM The Neckbones “Dead End Kids” from Souls On Fire (1997) on Fat Possum Records

12:45PM Demolition Doll Rods “U Look God” from Tasty (1999) on Matador

12:49PM The Dictators “Teengenerate” from Go Girl Crazy (1975) on Epic

12:53PM The Wheel Men “School is a Gas” from Pebbles, Volume 4 Surf N Tunes! (1992) on AIP

12:55PM The Torquetts “Who's Got the Tortillas” from El Vampiro (2013) on Norton

12:57PM Los Chicos “Sportman's Paradise” from In the Age of Stupidity (2012) on Off The Hip

12:59PM Thee Midniters “Empty Heart” from In Thee Midnight Hour (2006) on Norton

01:00PM The Outsiders “Oh! How It Hurts” from Capitol Collectors Series (1991) on Capitol Records

01:05PM Tim Schweiger “Walk Away” from 4 Song Sampler (2013) on self-released

01:12PM Pete Donnelly “Hunger Like” from Face the Bird (2013) on Pete Donnelly

01:25PM The Waco Brothers “Baba O'Reilly” from Down To The Promised Land - 5 Years of Bloodshot Records (2000) on Bloodshot

01:28PM Hickoids “Fruit Fly” from Hairy Chafin' Ape Suit (2013) on Saustex

01:34PM Green Circles “I Can't See the Day” from Mr. Cocking's Descent (2013) on Off The Hip

01:36PM Bed Wettin' Bad Boys “DEVOtion” from Ready For Boredom (2013) on R.I.P Society

01:40PM Living Eyes “Up and At Them” from Living Eyes (2013) on Anti-Fade

01:44PM The Bottle Kids “Yes You Can” from Such a Thrill (2013) on Kool Kat Musik New

01:47PM The Undecided by Default “I'll Write Your Number in My Book” from The Records Tribute: Starry Eyed (2013) on Zero Hour

01:50PM Any Trouble “Foolish Pride” from Where Are All the Nice Girls? (1980) on Stiff Records

01:54PM The Connection “Girls in This Town” from Let It Rock (2013) on Collectors Club Records / King Yum

01:58PM Dom Mariani & The Majestic Kelp “Gin And Tonic” from Turn Up the Sun (2013) on Head Records New

02:14PM Waxing Poetics “Needle in the Camel's Eye” from Manakin Moon (1988) on Roadrunner

02:17PM Big Star “Thirteen” from #1 Record/Radio City (1992) on Stax

02:20PM Talbot Adams “Red Diamonds” from 7" (2013) on Spacecase

02:23PM Reigning Sound “If You Can't Give Me Everything” from Too Much Guitar (2004) on In the Red

02:28PM Ramma Lamma “We All Know” from Gang 7" (2012) on Dusty Medical

02:31PM Th' Losin Streaks “The End” from Sounds of Violence (2004) on Slovenly Recordings

02:34PM Mal Thursday and the Cheetahs “Get Outta Dallas!” from It's All Going By Too Fast (2013) on Chunk Archives

02:37PM Thee Headcoats “Thoughts of a Hangman” from Elementary Headcoats (2000) on Damaged Goods

02:39PM The Saints “Just Like Fire Would” from Big Hits on the Underground (1999) on Last Call

02:42PM The Senders “Devil Shootin' Dice” from Do the Sender Thing (1989) on Midnight

02:45PM The Lost Crusaders “There Used to Be a River” from Have You Heard About the World? (2008) on Everlasting

02:49PM Pat Todd & The Rankoutsiders “Didn't Have Ta Die” from 14th & Nowhere (2013) on Rank Outsider

02:56PM Cal Peck and the Tramps “Letting it Go” from Cal Peck and the Tramps (2013) on Off The Hip

02:56PM The Bamboo Kids “Exile (Bonus Track)” from Safe City Blues (2012) on Drug Front Records

• August 23, 2013 3:54 PM CDT
    • The whole punk thing in Britain pre dated Thatcher and the old fucker Callaghan before her. Britain was a fairly grim place post war. mass unemployment, the unions fuckin it up at every opportunity for honest workers A tax level at 95%. Successive governments seemed to have scant or no regard for people and their families. No different to today really. 'Thatch' just came along and gave it a face and an icon to hate. She was a real c**t but in a sea of real c**ts that have shit on us for years. The unrest in the inner cities in the 80's proved a real undercurrent of hatred and misgiving in the country. She did what every government does when they face this.... She went to war. The Pistols spouted anarchy. The british public couldn't even get that right. If you want to know how truly how we felt back then, listen to the album 'Never Mind The Ballots'. Chumbawamba for all their faults really hit it on the head with this one. Strummer and all his middle class schoolboy cohorts were spouting ' In God We Trust' by this time. as Lydon said... hahaha! Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?

• August 23, 2013 3:01 PM CDT
    • I KNOW MICK.   WE'RE NOT BESTEST BUDDIES , BUT , I'VE KNOWN HIM WELL ENOUGH , FOR YEARS , THAT THE IDEA OF HIS BAND DOING A BUBBLEGUM RECORDS DOES'NT SHOCK ME AT ALL.....THE IDEA OF A TECHNO ALBUM STILL SEEMS A LOT MORE UNLIKELY. I KNOW , PERSONALLY , I'M EXPECTED TO LOVE TECHNO , RAP , HOUSE , INDUSTRIAL (AS IN WAX TRAX THE LABEL , NOT WAX TRAX , THE LATE , GREAT RECORD STORE....NOT SO MUCH TG OR NURSE WITH WOUND , THO' I'M LOOOOOOOOONG OVER THAT , TOO.), AND DANCE (AS IN , YOU CAN'T DANCE TO IT !) - ANYTHING WITH NO BEATS , NO FEELING , NO SOUL. I DON'T CONSIDER DRUM MACHINES "BEATS" , BUT , I KNOW A LOT OF FOLKS DISAGREE.....I THOUGHT IT WAS HUMOROUS , AND CHALLENGING TO THE HIPSTER MENTALITY (I.E. PEOPLE WHO PROBABLY SECRETLY LOVE TECHNO , ANYWAY.) WHEN MICK ANNOUNCED A (TEMPORARY) FLIRTATION WITH TECHNO......IT DOES'NT SURPRISE ME THAT MICK WOULD GO IN SUCH A DIRECTION , AT LEAST FOR ONE ALBUM , HE'S ONLY SOUNDED MUCH LIKE THE GORIES , TO ME , IN THE PAST 20+ YEARS , WHEN FRONTING THE REFORMED GORIES. THE DIRT BOMBS HAVE CHANGED THEIR GAME PLAN FROM TIME TO TIMES......PEOPLE WERE A BIT SHOCKED THAT HE'D HAVE TWO BASSISTS AND TWO DRUMMERS , VERY , VERY UN - GORIES LIKE , BUT , IT WORKED. THE EARLY DIRTBOMBS RELEASES SOUNDED MORE LIKE NOISE TO ME. NOT PUTTING IT DOWN , JUST SAYING I DID EXPECT SOMETHING DIFFERENT AT THE TIME.  MICK'S MOTIVATIONS ARE NOT SHALLOW , BUT, IT'S FAIR TO SAY HE LIKES TO FUCK WITH PEOPLE'S HEADS. GOOD ON HIM.

BESIDES , BUBBLEGUM KICKS ASS.

• August 23, 2013 4:40 AM CDT
    • SWEEEEEEEEET stuff!!

• August 22, 2013 1:46 PM CDT
    •  

9how do you delte eroneous replies?)

• August 22, 2013 1:44 PM CDT
    • Just got this press release.

THE DIRTBOMBS SHARE "CRAZY FOR YOU"
      NEW LP, OOEY GOOEY CHEWY KA-BLOOEY, DUE OUT 9/17
      VIA IN THE RED RECORDS

Photo credit: Vanessa Kitzerow

LISTEN TO "CRAZY FOR YOU" PREMIERED BY SPIN HERE

THE DIRTBOMBS SHARE "CRAZY FOR YOU" NEW LP, OOEY GOOEY CHEWY KA-BLOOEY, DUE OUT 9/17 VIA IN THE RED RECORDS Photo credit: Vanessa Kitzerow LISTEN TO "CRAZY FOR YOU" PREMIERED BY SPIN HERE For about a decade now Mick Collins, front man for the Detroit based Dirtbombs, has been threatening that the “next” record the band would release would be their “bubblegum” album. After a couple of albums of mostly originals, a compilation of singles and an album of Detroit techno covers it would be understandable for someone to think that the bubblegum record either fell to the wayside or was a farce to begin with. Well, at long last here is The Dirtbombs’ bubblegum record – Ooey Gooey Chewy Ka-Blooey. It would be understandable to assume that a bubblegum record by the Dirtbombs would be an album of cover versions by bands like the 1910 Fruitgum Company, The Ohio Express and The Archies. After all, the band already has two albums of cover songs under their belt which salute specific genres. That is not the case in this instance. Mick Collins has written ten new original tracks in which he pays homage to the sound and style originally popularized in the late 60’s/early 70’s by producers/exploiters like Kasenetz-Katz and Don Kirschner amongst many others. The results are pretty much spot on to Mick’s intention. While the usual Dirtbombs’ double drums, fuzzy guitars and soulful swagger are definitely present, this album is sugary, sun-shiny pop rock that recalls the albums made by Josie & the Pussycats, the Banana Splits and Lancelot Link & the Evolution Revolution, to name but three. It’s all singalong choruses, childlike themes and a contrived innocence – it’s not the kind of record one would’ve predicted from a guy who once fronted The Gories. The original bubblegum music was basically a cash-in produced in an assemblyline process usually using studio musicians and hired song-writers who dashed the stuff out as quickly as possible and most likely forgot about it even quicker. While The Dirtbombs adhere to some of this original approach by using a list of guest musicians so long there wasn’t room to credit them on the album cover, this album is actually a carefully crafted work that was almost two years in the making. Also not the sort of thing one would expect from the guy who once fronted The Gories. Still, this is incredibly catchy stuff. THE DIRTBOMBS OOEY GOOEY CHEWY KA-BLOOEY! (IN THE RED RECORDS) SEPTEMBER 17th, 2013 1. Sugar On Top 2. Crazy For You 3. It's Gonna Be Alright 4. Hot Sour Salty Sweet 5. Jump and Shout 6. Girl on the Carousel 7. Hey! Cookie 8. Sunshine Girl 9. No More Rainy Days 10. We Come In The Sunshine THE DIRTBOMBS IN THE RED RECORDS FOR ALL MODERN HUT INQUIRIES PLEASE CONTACT: ELOY@ENABLERPR.COM follow on twitter | forward to a friend Copyright © *2012* *Enabler Agency, All rights reserved. Our mailing address is: Available upon request unsubscribe from this list | update subscription preferences

For about a decade now Mick Collins, front man for the Detroit based Dirtbombs, has been threatening that the “next” record the band would release would be their “bubblegum” album. After a couple of albums of mostly originals, a compilation of singles and an album of Detroit techno covers it would be understandable for someone to think that the bubblegum record either fell to the wayside or was a farce to begin with. Well, at long last here is The Dirtbombs’ bubblegum record – Ooey Gooey Chewy Ka-Blooey. 

It would be understandable to assume that a bubblegum record by the Dirtbombs would be an album of cover versions by bands like the 1910 Fruitgum Company, The Ohio Express and The Archies. After all, the band already has two albums of cover songs under their belt which salute specific genres. That is not the case in this instance. Mick Collins has written ten new original tracks in which he pays homage to the sound and style originally popularized in the late 60’s/early 70’s by producers/exploiters like Kasenetz-Katz and Don Kirschner amongst many others. The results are pretty much spot on to Mick’s intention. While the usual Dirtbombs’ double drums, fuzzy guitars and soulful swagger are definitely present, this album is sugary, sun-shiny pop rock that recalls the albums made by Josie & the Pussycats, the Banana Splits and Lancelot Link & the Evolution Revolution, to name but three. It’s all singalong choruses, childlike themes and a contrived innocence – it’s not the kind of record one would’ve predicted from a guy who once fronted The Gories. 

The original bubblegum music was basically a cash-in produced in an assemblyline process usually using studio musicians and hired song-writers who dashed the stuff out as quickly as possible and most likely forgot about it even quicker. While The Dirtbombs adhere to some of this original approach by using a list of guest musicians so long there wasn’t room to credit them on the album cover, this album is actually a carefully crafted work that was almost two years in the making. Also not the sort of thing one would expect from the guy who once fronted The Gories. Still, this is incredibly catchy stuff.

THE DIRTBOMBS
      OOEY GOOEY CHEWY KA-BLOOEY!
      (IN THE RED RECORDS)
      SEPTEMBER 17th, 2013

1. Sugar On Top
      2. Crazy For You
      3. It's Gonna Be Alright
      4. Hot Sour Salty Sweet
      5. Jump and Shout
      6. Girl on the Carousel
      7. Hey! Cookie
      8. Sunshine Girl
      9. No More Rainy Days 
      10. We Come In The Sunshine

THE DIRTBOMBS
      IN THE RED RECORDS

• August 23, 2013 2:38 PM CDT
    • *BUMP*

So, over 40 views but no votes up? C'mon, people! I'm sure SOME of you have a reddit account, right? Sign in and vote that sucker up!

• August 22, 2013 10:38 AM CDT
    • Vote this sucker UP!!

http://www.reddit.com/r/GaragePunk/comments/1kvnyn/the_allnew_garagepunk_hideout_thee_social_network/

Let's get this shindig MOVIN'!!!

Gracias,

kopper

• August 22, 2013 7:57 PM CDT
    • Hey, I really like the the GaragePunk Pirate Radio Mr. Yuk Shirt & the Go-Go T-shirt, but they only come in Men's Tee Shirts.  Is there any way you can make dem in a purdy baby-T type wimmens cut?  And now a song  ....."cut it, press it, distribute it"

I would gladly pay (for the T-shirts).....

• August 22, 2013 3:55 PM CDT
    • On Thursday, August 22nd, WXYC's Thursday Night Feature will celebrate the 50th Anniversary of that most blueswailing of British Invasion acts, the Yardbirds.  Host Blastoff Bob and returning guest Jeff Jarema will spin three hours of the fuzzy guitar fireworks that launched a thousand garage bands.  Thursday, August 22nd (9:00 PM to Midnight) WXYC 89.3 FM, or online http://www.wxyc.org 

• August 22, 2013 3:22 PM CDT
    • What about the Barracudas? They were pretty "beachy"!

• August 22, 2013 2:36 PM CDT
    • Oh man. Vice. Don't even get me started! That soapbox has permanent imprints of my feet!

• August 22, 2013 1:22 PM CDT
    • Basically modern journalism is catering to what's known as the dumbing down of the American masses (and everyone else for that matter).  I don't know how many times a day I hear these words "Awesome" or "nice!" or "sweet".  I'm longwinded so I TRY to keep it short and have even resorted to "nice" or "sweet" online only, where I never would in my day to day life, but REALLY people there are other adjectives at our disposal for expressing gratitude and appreciation.

So here too is a good example that just reeks of "hipster sexist/racist microaggression" in this AWFUL online periodical:  http://www.vice.com/en_us

AND try to only go on it once because I don't want to support someone's coke habit when they can easily get the money from their parents.

In that part, Bangs was referring to being apologetic to people he had offended. It's some food for thought.

There, I'm not apologizing!  You can read people's comments on vice.com and see that people also agree, as one commenter put it  "I hate vice because it represents a type of mindset that I can't stand: arrogant, ellitist junky fuck-ups who are just as superficial and uninteresting as the people they spend their time criticizing. Hooo the warm safeness of irony."

So true, not to mention completely generic reporting I can find on Yahoo News without the "arrogant elitist" journalist tone that is basically racist, sexist AND homophobic paired with just some bad writing indicative of someone(s) who don't obviously spend a whole lot of time reading introspectively.

• August 22, 2013 12:28 PM CDT
    • Lutz Vipinderwoman said:

I feel like the more you read good literature, the better you write. We're capable of it with effort. .. this thought occurred to me as a result of trying to learn to yodel (Ha!)

Today's journalism is more shortform, is based on lists, borrowed content, reposting, etc. There's not the same quality of meaningful editorial calendars and readers consuming their literature over the course of a monthly/bi-monthly edition or issue. There are still plenty of quality journalists and storytellers, but we're mass consuming snippets of writing and sometimes it's just really refreshing to read something like this that we now equate to an essay.

Hipster sexism/racism by definition! See, I purposely tried not to use the word "hipster."

I try to avoid the term "hipster" because it tends to conjure a specific demographic of youngish mostly white people with a certain costume on.

Liberal guilt:  I don't want to put all those deemed as "hipsters" into that one category.  I know plenty of (I guess) hipster-looking people who come from extreme poverty and really are DIY and can't afford to shave (oops), but for those attempting to be controversial and making a joke out of an ultimately racist or sexist stance, it doesn't change the reality of it.  If you listen to a lot of the 70s comedians, that was a form a humor that I think was like a way of letting out the past years of repression (for those experiencing it particularly), but we should be moving on at this point. 

In that part, Bangs was referring to being apologetic to people he had offended. It's some food for thought.

Another interesting read about subtle racism for people who don't think they're racist. Even if it's from the psychobabble of PsychologyToday. 

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/microaggressions-in-everyday-life/201010/racial-microaggressions-in-everyday-life

• August 22, 2013 12:07 PM CDT
    • Jane Dear said:

I wish people still wrote like this. I'm probably going to re-read this a few more times over the next month just to properly digest it.

I feel like the more you read good literature, the better you write. We're capable of it with effort. .. this thought occurred to me as a result of trying to learn to yodel (Ha!)

Hipster sexism/racism by definition! See, I purposely tried not to use the word "hipster."

I like this term "self-aware sexism", like the scene in Borat where he's talking to the panel of feminists. Real funny there, asshole.  So basically, you're aware your sexism or racism, but you'll joke about because you're not actually sorry about it.  In fact, you want to flaunt it because you think it's cute.  And speaking of S. Cohen (the new Lenny Bruce here), being a member of a particular minority group doesn't automatically make you exempt from racism and/or sexism by any means.  It just means you're a complete sociopath who doesn't mind exploiting any and everyone.  Be proud you've decided to turn you're back on your gender/lifestyle/race/ethnicity, forget anyone's former suffering and turn it on everyone else so you too can be loved and accepted.  I would call that selfish and vindictive. What upstanding qualities!

Liberal guilt:  I don't want to put all those deemed as "hipsters" into that one category.  I know plenty of (I guess) hipster-looking people who come from extreme poverty and really are DIY and can't afford to shave (oops), but for those attempting to be controversial and making a joke out of an ultimately racist or sexist stance, it doesn't change the reality of it.  If you listen to a lot of the 70s comedians, that was a form a humor that I think was like a way of letting out the past years of repression (for those experiencing it particularly), but we should be moving on at this point. 

• August 22, 2013 9:24 AM CDT
    • I wish people still wrote like this. I'm probably going to re-read this a few more times over the next month just to properly digest it.

One of my favorite parts:

"If there's nothing more poisonous than bigotry, there's nothing more pathetic than 

liberal guilt.....

I put a dollop more pain in the world, and that was that."

It's worth checking out the Wikipedia entries on "Hipster Racism" and "Hipster Sexism."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipster_racism
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipster_sexism

• August 22, 2013 10:55 AM CDT
    • The Trip! Aug. 18th Show! 

Listen here:   http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fcjamlog1.cjam.ca%2Fmp3dirnew%2F381-The_Trip-20130818-0030-t1376782201.mp3&h=fAQGOonbH

The setlist:

hipster image-   make her mine
      the poets-   that's the way it's gotta be
      bud & kathy-   hang it out to dry
      gert wilden-   murder beat
      marvin gaye-   let your conscience be your guide
      jack scott-   one of these days
      johnny & the hurricanes-   red river rock
      the small faces-   grow your own
      jimmy winston & his reflections-   it's not what you do
      bobby 'blue' bland-   cry, cry, cry
      bobby 'blue' bland-   i'll take care of you
      redtenbacher's funkestra-   the cooker
      nicola conte-   bossa per due
      graham bond organization-   little girl
      dave brubeck quartet-   waltz limp
      bill frisell-   lost, night
      samurai-   saving it up for so long
      lenny dee-   china boy (go sleep)
      return to forever (feat. chick corea)-   after the cosmic rain
      McCoy tyner-   four by five

• August 22, 2013 9:16 AM CDT
    • Pooh Sticks!

• August 22, 2013 9:14 AM CDT
    •  Bloodshot Bill rules!

Try Skp Jensen too.

• August 21, 2013 6:23 PM CDT
    • The LPL is now in its ninth year and still running every Tuesday night 11p-2a CST in Madison, WI on WORT 89.9 FM (listener-sponsored community radio) and online via live webstream! I am nearly always behind the board except when my touring job takes me away, in which case you are in the capable hands of one of the other volunteer rock DJs on WORT.

Websites and links have changed....

I run just about everything out of my Facebook page now, mostly for convenience's sake. I don't have a Twitter account or MySpace.

http://www.facebook.com/leopardprintlounge

I'm working on getting a proper website, but it's a slow process :-)

WORT files its playlists through Spinitron - you can check their website and look for radio call sign WORT: http://www.spinitron.com

And WORT finally upgraded its old HTML website, now it's here:

http://www.wortfm.org

Archives available at http://archive.wortfm.org

I love hearing from bands all around the world...if you think you might like to have your music played on the Leopard Print Lounge, please do send me a message here on garagepunk.com, or email me at leopardradio@yahoo.com.

Thanks much and love to all you rock & rollers....

Jenni :-)