Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• September 2, 2013 10:42 AM CDT
    • John Battles said:

eddie , I like this song , but, why is it politically incorrect?
       Did the Lead Singer say something "Naughty" that's buried under all the other singers' voices?

A lot of Doo Wop groups did do X- Rated versions of songs that were commercially recorded.
      eddie said:

Because it's insensitive. It uses a variation of the "Oriental riff," the line "You lookee like a Japanese Sandman" is spoken in a stereotypical faux-Asian voice, and the phrase "rang tang ding dong rackee sackee" is a mockery of how Asian languages sound to Westerners.

• September 1, 2013 1:39 PM CDT
    • Mike Bails said:
      I've just heard this fantastic new band called The Rip Em Ups yeah? See they're really good. http://youtu.be/fkbxD_UJH6o Through them I found the magnificent A-Bones. I also really like the Jim Jones Revue. But I'm stuck! All I wanna hear is good old fashioned new rock and roll. Not too over the top. Not too garagey. More 50s style I suppose. Please help. I will return favours using positive feel good comments. Mikebails.

I thought Alison's choice was great (they're also local  boys) and WOW! who did their video. I love it.  I seems like you can find a g'zillion psychobilly bands, but harder to find good more purist 50s-style rock, but heres a good 'un... from Mad Jack and the Hatters:

• September 1, 2013 1:39 PM CDT
    • Mike Bails said:
      I've just heard this fantastic new band called The Rip Em Ups yeah? See they're really good. http://youtu.be/fkbxD_UJH6o Through them I found the magnificent A-Bones. I also really like the Jim Jones Revue. But I'm stuck! All I wanna hear is good old fashioned new rock and roll. Not too over the top. Not too garagey. More 50s style I suppose. Please help. I will return favours using positive feel good comments. Mikebails.

I thought Alison's choice was great (they're also local  boys) and WOW! who did their video. I love it.  I seems like you can find a g'zillion psychobilly bands, but harder to find good more purist 50s-style rock, but heres a good 'un... from Mad Jack and the Hatters:

• September 1, 2013 1:18 PM CDT
    • The J-Pan girls can do the pop, but the VietCong gals can RAWK up some psych (and say yeah, yeah a lot)...this is the whole album

• September 1, 2013 1:11 PM CDT
    • I HAVE that EXACT dress that they're wearing.... It IS an empire waist dress. I think the last girl sitting down forgot to pull it over her empire, but Hey she's happy.  Anybody know who the NEXT J-Pan Girl "guitar mama" band is? Shonen Knife, 567s, etc. are kinded dated now (still good, still wonderful).

• August 31, 2013 4:18 PM CDT
    • the High Learys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_CgaR6W4uQ

Electric Mess

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMu7lcOBiS4

• August 28, 2013 1:23 PM CDT
    • Nine Pound Hammer kinda fit the bill but going in a punkabilly direction. http://youtu.be/z1iVvw9ccZI

• August 31, 2013 10:59 PM CDT
    • Thanks, Kopper! It's great to be back! Hopefully these Hideout members will feel the same way!

• August 31, 2013 10:02 PM CDT
    • Great to have you back, Fuckup.

• August 30, 2013 6:34 PM CDT
    • Thanks, brother! Hope you dig it!

• August 30, 2013 6:22 PM CDT
    • Cool bananas Joey!

• August 29, 2013 7:30 PM CDT
    • Some of you may remember me as being the host of "40 Oz. Nonsense" (Hell, on some of those episodes I barely remember hosting them), which I felt had run its course and decided to it was time for it to permanently sleep one off. So I took a break (no, not from drinking, silly rabbits), and brainstormed (yeah, I still have a few brain cells left) about what kind of show I would like to do, granted if I decided to ever do this again. Well, "The Escape Pod" is what I came up with...It's a musical "escape" pod(cast), get it? Yeah, it's on the level of "lame groovy", but so what? Honestly, though, this is a different show from "40 Oz. Nonsense", so I can't say just how many of you garageheads are going to dig my latest (misad)venture. Primarily what I'll be playing will be obscure (or fairly obscure, underground, whatever) '60's/'70's rock 'n' roll in such genres as heavy psych, garage, proto-metal/proto-punk, and maybe even some trippy prog and/or glam. I've recorded the first episode, and it was all '60's/'70's tunes, but I will be playing newer bands in the mix as this show progresses. Hopefully there's a few of you here on the Hideout that'll enjoy what I throw together on each episode. I'm always open for suggestions, but don't get offended if I don't take some of you up on them. So here's the maiden voyage, let me know what you thought, and thanks for listening!

MEVIO I SUBSCRIBE I TWITTER FACEBOOK

• August 31, 2013 9:59 PM CDT
    • Here's the new trailer that came out last year, but I haven't heard anything about this since...

• August 30, 2013 6:22 PM CDT
    • Hey everyone,

I figured I’d start a new topic since we have a new and improved site (it looks great by the way Kopper!).  Revolution Rock is a radio program on CJAM 99.1 FM in the Windsor/Detroit area that can also be subscribed to as a podcast.  I play garage, 70s punk/new wave, surf, indie, alternative and other related subgenres. I do a blog post every week on bands that i play as well.

This week’s play list

1.  Salvia Plath – House of Leaves

2.  Sunwolf – Angel Eyes

3.  The Winter Coats – Not For Us To Say

4.  Feels Alright – Oahu Ohio

5.  Nervous Talk – Introductions

6.  Wyldlife – Sonofabitch

7.  No Age – Circling With Dizzy

8.  Mudhoney – Don’t Fade TV

9.  The Wipers – Can This Be

10. Guided By Voices – A Salty Salute

11. Guided By Voices – Game of Pricks

12. Guided By Voices – The Ugly Vision

13. Guided By Voices - A Good Flying Bird

14. The Groupies – Primitive 

15. Thee Oh Sees - Two Drummers Disappear

16. Mystics – Tell Me

17. Eric Welton Band – Kill Them With Kindness

18. Klark Kent – My Old School

19. Nick Lowe – Marie Provost

20. Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet – You Spin Me Around 86

21. Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet – Vibrolux Deluxe (Previously Unreleased Version)

22. Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet - Run Chicken Run

23. The Only Ones – Out There In The Night

24. The Rich Kids – Ghosts of Princes In Towers

25. Alex Chilton - I've Had It

26. Sebadoh - Arbitrary High

27. Richard Hell & The Voidoids – I Live My Life

Download the podcast here:  http://cjamlog3.cjam.ca/supercali/show_event.php?id=36&o=3&c=1&m=10&a=11&y=2009&w=1

Check out my blog post this week on Guided By Voices Alien Lanes album:  http://revrock.blogspot.ca/2013/08/guided-by-voices-alien-lanes-show-470.html

• August 30, 2013 4:36 PM CDT
    •  

Zero Hour (Music) with Andy 08/30/2013 12:00PM to 03:00PM

12:03PM The Fleshtones “Going Back To School” from Take a Good Look (2008) on Yep Roc Records

12:06PM The Gondoliers “Animal” from s/t on Earie Records

12:07PM The Sons Of Hercules “Surfin' in the Bars” from Surfin' in the Bars - Single (1997) on Get Hip

12:09PM The Outta Sites “Man Behind the Shadows” from Shake All Night With the Outta Sites (2013) on Spinout Records

12:11PM Ty Wagner “Soul Exercise” from 45 - Misery Train (2013) on Ugly Things

12:19PM The Chrome Cranks “Way out Lover” from Way Out Lover - Single on Sympathy For The Record Industry

12:23PM The Long Gones “Earthquake Shake” from Prepare to Burn (1998) on Shake It Records

12:26PM The Zeros “Baby's Gotta Have Her Way” from Knockin' Me Dead (1994) on Rockville

12:28PM Tweens “Sweet Nothin'S” from Live at Mohawk (2012) on self-released

12:30PM TV Killers “Il Ne Se Passe Rien” from You Kill Me - Single (1998) on Estrus

12:35PM Greg Oblivian & The Tip-Tops “Girl With the Glasses” from Pretty Baby - Single on Sympathy For The Record Industry

12:36PM John Wesley Coleman “Whisper Mountain” from Whisper Mountain - Single (2013) on Spacecase

12:38PM Bipolaroid “Beautiful (In the Morning)” from Supernatural Beauty / Beautiful (In the Morning) - Single (2013) on Get Hip

12:41PM King Khan & The Shrines “I Got Made” from Idle No More (2013) on Merge Records New

12:43PM The Ding Dongs “Zach” from Lucky Day - Single (2010) on Sultan

12:46PM Nervebreakers “My Girlfriend Is a Rock” from Hijack the Radio (2012) on Get Hip

12:52PM The Ogres “Gas Money” from The Acrid & Misanthropic Sounds Of ... (2013) on Hillsdale

12:55PM The Morells “You're the One Who Done It” from Shake and Push (1982) on Borrowed

12:56PM Barrence Whitfield and The Savages “Bread” from Dig Thy Savage Soul (2013) on Bloodshot New

12:59PM Mr Wiggles “Homeboy” from Talkin' Trash on Greasy

01:05PM The Carolinas “Loner” from More Barn: A Tribute to Neil Young (2008) on slothrop

01:10PM Nineteen Thirteen “Mr. Panicker” from The Ballroom & Mr. Panicker - Single (2013) on s/r Local

01:12PM Mystery Girls “Meet Me Now” from The Die Has Been Cast (2002) on Boxman

01:16PM Mystery Girls “Help Me Lord” from Under My Tounge - Thee Adventures of Mystery Girls on Kryptonite

01:21PM Bullet Lavolta “Every Hungry Rabbit” from Gimme Danger (1990) on BMG

01:25PM Nashville Pus*8y “Snake Eyes” from Snake Eyes - Single (1996) on Black Lung

01:26PM The Mono Men “Burning Bush” from Burning Bush (1995) on Estrus

01:28PM The Muffs “I Need You” from Hamburger (1999) on Sympathy For The Record Industry

01:33PM Giuda “Speak Louder” from Racey Roller (2012) on Damaged Goods

01:36PM The Oblivians “Call The Police” from Desperation (2013) on In the Red

01:40PM Catl. “Workin' Man's Soul” from With the Lord for Cowards You Find No Play (2010) on self-released

01:44PM Stinky Lou and the Goon mat with Lord Benardo “Boogie Man” from 12 Roots N' Boogie Blues Hits (With Lord Bernado) (2013) on Voodoo Rhythm

01:49PM The Knaves “Leave Me Alone” from What a Way to Die: 15 Forgotten Lose from the Mid-60s on Satan

01:52PM Human Eye “Outlaw Lone Wolf” from 4: Into Unknown (2013) on Goner

01:58PM Music Machine “Trouble” from Best of the Music Machine (1984) on Rhino

02:03PM Piñata Protest “Life On the Border” from El Valiente (2013) on Saustex

02:07PM Sir Doug and the Texas Tornados “You Can't Hide a Redneck (Under That Hippy Hair)” from Texas Rock for Country Rollers (1976) on ABC

02:10PM Hickoids “T J” from Hairy Chafin' Ape Suit (2013) on Saustex

02:15PM Go Go Train (WMCA version) “Jackie Paine” from South Texas Rhythm 'n' Soul Revue (2013) on Kent Soul

02:17PM King Salami And The Cumberland 3 “Betti Moretti” from Cookin' Up a Party (2013) on Off The Hip

02:20PM The Neighbours “Green Shoes” from Green Shoes (2013) on Get Hip

02:24PM High Learys “Don't Leave Me Much a Man” from Here Come the High Learys (2013) on Soundflat Records

02:27PM Rollercoasters “Wild Twist” from Del Fi Pool Party on Del-Fi

02:30PM The Cavemen Five “They Prefer Blondes” from Be My Cavegirl Single (2013) on Howlin' Banana

02:32PM Dom Mariani & The Majestic Kelp “Turn Up the Sun” from Turn Up the Sun (2013) on Head Records

02:35PM The Dickies “(I'm Stuck In a Pagoda With) Tritia Toyota” from Dawn of the Dickies (1979) on Captain Oi!

02:39PM The Mr. T Experience “Somebody Wants to Love You” from Love American Style - Single (1991) on Lookout

02:43PM The Replacements “I Won't” from Don't Tell a Soul (1989) on Warner 1061

02:45PM Tommy Stinson “Match Made In Hell” from One Man Mutiny (2011) on Done To Death Music

02:49PM Pete Donnelly “Low Flying Planes” from Face the Bird (2013) on Pete Donnelly

02:52PM The Bottle Kids “The Most Beautiful Girl In The World” from Such a Thrill (2013) on Kool Kat Musik

02:55PM The Breakup Society “The Way We Weren't” from So Much Unhappiness, So Little Time… (2012) on Get Hip

• August 30, 2013 3:29 PM CDT
    • Radio What Wave Playlist   Aug 29/2013. This was a 2.5 hour show, from 6 to 8:30PM

1. Gatgas... Assylum...demo from a local combo who are playing on saturday night at CTO here in London Ontario.

2. Hurricane and Able....Leaves On The Ground...from The Last Temptation download. A brand new London Ontario combo who have not played out yet.

3. Dustbin Flowers....Bayside Jenny...yet another brand new London combo...

4. The Ballantynes...Faith...brand new 7" on La Ti Da Records. Soul combo from Vancouver that features a Tranzmitor.

5. Shark Week...If You Want...from their demo CD. Washington DC combo who did one show only in Canada, and it happened to be right here in sleepy London Ontario.

6. Hasil Adkins...No More Hot Dogs...recorded live 6/16/86 at Chuggies in Hamilton Ontario. The Haze's 2nd ever Canada show and he was under the watchful eye of Billy and Miriam. This song goes out to Jesse Trash (Most Fridays at 6PM on CHRW) as he and I both don't like Hot Dogs!!

7. Light Bulb Alley...Jemons Jaws...demo from their soon to be released 2nd CD on Ricochet Sound. I have no idea who or what Jemon is!!

8. Wastrel...Long Mountain Road...brand new demo from the son of Deja Voodoo's Gerard Van Herk.

9. Deja Voodoo....Blast Off...from the Swamp Of Love LP from 1986 and proof that Gerard and his son are going in different directions.

10. The Gruesomes...The Witch...from the Tyrants Of Teen Trash LP. And this features Gerard Van Herk on the keyboards.

11. The Gruesomes...Gloria...recorded live in Montreal 10/26/85 at one of their very first live shows.

12. The Stooges....1970...from the Funhouse LP.

13. Early 70's ad for Iggy playing in St Louis.

14. Iggy Pop....Butttown....acoustic demo. Since Iggy was in Toronto the other day, figured we'd play a song about police stuff as some has been going on in Toronto.

15. The Stooges...Cock In My Pocket...from the Rubber Legs LP on Revenge Records. My fave Stooges song!!

16. Iggy Pop....Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell....recorded live at Kiplings, London Ontario 8/14/88 and the last time Iggy played here.

Big shout out to Cory Shipp......A Lucky Guy!!! This guy won our Dave Rave CD pack for answering a skill testing question AND.....he got to hang out with Iggy while he was at Pizza Pizza in Toronto at the show this past weekend!!

17. The Rattlers...Let's Go...from Rave On, The Reducers tribute CD.

18. Agnelli and Rave...Company Man....from the above CD.

19. The Reducers...Pub Rockin'...from the Cruise to Nowhere LP from 1985. Since we're playing the tribute CD, let's get the real deal on!!

20. The Blue Demon....Moon Dawg...from their self titled CD. They will be playing at This Ain't Hollywood in Hamilton tonight.

21. Evil Eyes...Honey Please...from their only 7" and they will also be playing at This Ain't Hollywood tonite.

22. Black Rainbows...Everyone's Friend...from a demo and they will also be playing with the above 2 bands.

23. Black Rainbows...It's Blood...as above.

24. Barrence Whitfield and The Savages...Hey Little Girl...from the Dig Thy Savage Soul LP on Bloodshot Records that just came out. I picked up my copy at Speed City Records here in London.

25. Barrence Whitfield and The Savages...Mama Get The Hammer....from their first LP from 1984.

26. Barrence Whitfield and The Savages...Bloody Mary...from the Dig Yourself LP from 1985.

27. Barrence Whitfield and The Savages...Rockin' The Mule in Kansas...from the Call Of The Wild EP.

28. Presence...Concrete/Metal....from a 7" from 1981. Alberta combo who played at The Embassy back in Sept 1981. On the Cedar Lounge Facebook page, someone thought a member of this band was in a picture in question. We still don't know the answer, hence i played this song to stir up the pot.

29. Presence...Move On Stranger....recorded live from the Embassy Sept 1981 by CHRW DJ Simon Less (now a big time producer of the name Peter Moore). He would use a styrofoam head with mics shoved in the ears to record bands.

30. Presence...See You Later???  Possibly the name of this song, from the above session.

31. The Hippies....Canteens...from Slippery's Club Hits, the cassette that comes with What Wave #24, released last October.

32. Single Mothers...Runaways...from the Wild Party CD. Local combo and a request.

33. Dead Rabbits...No Way....recorded for the Boot To The Head event at Call The Office 7/5/2002. Dead Rabbits were a late 70's/early 80's London based combo.

34. The Seatbelts....Callin' Out...from the brand new Joy Ride CD. Seatbelts were a late 70's Detroit combo who did a bit of recording back then, but this is all newly recorded. Sounds damn fine for a bunch of old farts!! And i remember seeing Seatbelts at least once (if not more) back at the Cedar Lounge in the late 70's/early 80's.

35. 3D Invisibles....Love On Mars...from a 1982 7" from this Detroit combo who just happen to have 2 members that were/are in Seatbelts. And this combo played a wedding celebration right here in London on June 15th 1985 to an invite only crowd. St Stephans Hall (now demolished) in old Wortley Village....i think it was a lot of fun!!

36. 3D Invisibles...Rockin' With Drac...from a 1984 7" that comes with 3D glasses.

37. The Sillies...Is There Lunch After Death?...1979 7" from another Detroit combo....some of these songs might be outta order as the phone was ringing and i was just barely keeping up!

38. The Seatbelts...Joy Ride...title track from the Joy Ride CD, as mentioned above, brand new.

39. The Tranzmitors...Dancing In The Front Row....2006 7" and this one goes out to Erika, my oldest daughter who is in South Korea.

40. VKTMS....Pincushion Smith....from the very first Subterranean 7" compilation from 1979 and this goes out to Jesse Trash who does It's Trash (some fridays at 6PM on CHRW).

41. BB Guns...Bang Bang...recorded in Feb 2013 by Aldo Erdic and played live over CIUT on Daihbid James' Moondawg Ballroom (every Tuesday at 5PM on CIUT outta Toronto).

42. BB Guns...I Killed My Baby....as above

Big Thanx for all the crazy phone-ins, emails, facebook messages and Heys!!! Hope you dug all the crazy sounds!!! Back again next week for yet another show!!

And once again, congrats to that Lucky Guy, Cory Shipp, winner (in more ways than one) of our Dave Rave prize package!

You can listen to the archived show here, 

http://chrwradio.ca/content/radio-what-wave

Click on the previous shows and Aug 29th is in 3 30m parts.

And the last hour of the show is here:

http://chrwradio.ca/programs/fast-n-bulbous

Click on the previous shows and Au 29th is in 2 30m parts.

• August 30, 2013 4:38 AM CDT
    • Hey y'all!

2 chances to hear my fun-packed August show, at 9pm tonight and 7pm tomorrow (UK time) before the new schedule starts and my bumper three-hour Liverpool PsychFest special kicks in.

Let me know if you get the chance to hear it.

See you at www.dandelionradio.com

• August 29, 2013 11:32 AM CDT
    • The Trip!  Aug. 25 2013 Show!  Listen here: http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/381-The_Trip-20130825-0030-t1377387000.mp3

The setlist! 

JOHN LEE HOOKER -

MONEY

J.C. DAVIS -

MONKEY

NAPPY BROWN -

COAL MINER

LAVERN BAKER -

PIG LATIN BLUES

THE OLYMPICS -

SHIMMY LIKE KATE

LITTLE EDDIE -

THE WEASEL

BILLY STORM & THE VALIANTS -

WALKIN' GIRL

CODY BLACK -

GOING GOING GONE

THE DEVERONS -

ON THE ROAD AGAIN

DDT & THE REPELLENTS -

THE FLY SWATTER

LORD BEVERLY MOSS & THE MOSS MEN-

PLEASE, PLEASE WHAT'S THE MATTER

THE CELLOS -

CHICKEN BACK TWIST

LORD ROCKINGHAM'S XI -

FRIED ONIONS

WAU Y LOS ARRRGHS-

MOMIA TWIST

LOS SALVAJES -

AL CAPONE

STOMPIN' RIFF RAFFS -

HORROR SHOW

NICK CURRAN & THE NITELIFES-

STOMPIN' AT THE FOOT

THE TEARJERKERS -

KING OF THE CLASS CLOWNS

THE ANGRY HORNETS -

RED PHONE

THE MONSTERS -

BLUES FOR JOE

ROKY ERICKSON -

IF YOU HAVE GHOSTS

THE GREENHORNES -

SHADOW OF GRIEF

WADE CURTIS & THE RHYTHM ROCKERS -

PUDDY CAT

SAM THE SHAM & THE PHAROHS -

LEAVE MY KITTEN ALONE

BOB BUNNY -

SCATTY CAT

ROD WILLIS -

THE CAT

JIMMY MERCHANT -

SKIN THE CAT

NEW BANGS -

GO GO KITTY

• August 28, 2013 9:08 PM CDT
    •  

• August 28, 2013 7:35 PM CDT
    • dumfuk said:

We found the song!  It is, indeed, called "Fast Attack" by a Connecticut band called the Hangmen.  It is on this out of print record called Towers of New London vol. 1 (thank you, gut fish for tipping us off that this was a New London band).  We just ordered the lp and will upload to soulseek once we get it. 

We heard it on my friend's radio program cassette archive from WRTC in Hartford.

Any luck getting this uploaded? Post a link please....

• August 28, 2013 4:48 PM CDT
    • These people need to be heard on all broadcast media!

• August 27, 2013 9:15 PM CDT
    • Mina said:

List them!

This is like Jack and Meg White melted into one person.. brilliant

• August 28, 2013 4:37 PM CDT
    • The ones I love to hate? Let's see, just to get started:

Coldplay

Backstreet Boys

S Club 7

Take That

Westlife

Spice Girls

Snow Patrol

Radiohead

Babydoll (a band I saw who were utterly dire)

Most hair metal

East 17

Scouting For Girls

I could name more, but I'll have to think about it.

• August 28, 2013 1:10 AM CDT
    • The clear winner of this thread. End of discussion.