Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• September 13, 2013 2:19 AM CDT
    • guys, 

i am desperately looking for a song called "martian death ray", by the REAL LOSERS. it's supposed to be a bonus track on cd, but it isn't on the CD i own. can anybody help me out or tell me where to find it?

THANKS A BUNDLE!!

• September 13, 2013 12:26 AM CDT
    • I just reviewed this album -- plus the new Black Joe Lewis album -- in my newspaper column

A version of this was published in The Santa Fe New Mexican 
      Sept. 13, 2013

An actual bubblegum album by a serious grown-up band in 2013?

Yes indeed. Ooey Gooey Chewy Ka-blooey is a bubblegum album by The Dirtbombs, long promised by the group’s singer and guitarist Mick Collins.

The Dirtbombs are a serious band, right?

In my book they are. Started by Collins in the ’90s following the demise of his previous group, The Gories — an inspired blues/punk/slop band — The Dirtbombs were the best (if not the most famous, which would be The White Stripes) group to come out of the Detroit garage scene.

But bubblegum? Those of you who weren't around when bubblegum ruled the AM airwaves might not know what the term means. Sometimes “bubblegum” is used to describe any vapid teen pop, but that’s not what The Dirtbombs are doing on this album.

According to the All Music Guide, “Bubblegum is a lightweight, catchy pop music that was a significant commercial force in the late ’60s and early ’70s. Bubblegum was targeted at a preteen audience whose older siblings had been raised on rock & roll. It was simple, melodic, and light as feather — neither the lyrics or the music had much substance. Bubblegum was a manufactured music, created by record producers that often hired session musicians to play and sing the songs.”

The true giants of the genre were Buddha Records groups like The Ohio Express (known for hits like “Yummy Yummy Yummy” — yes, there was love in their tummies — and “Chewy Chewy”); The 1910 Fruitgum Company (“1, 2, 3, Red Light,” “Simon Says”); The Kasenetz-Katz Singing Orchestral Circus (“Quick Joey Small”); and made-for-TV bands like The Partridge Family, The Banana Splits, The Archies, and Lancelot Link & The Evolution Revolution.

Now technically, The Archies weren’t human. They were, in fact, cartoon characters. And the Banana Splits were human, but they were humans dressed like cartoon animals.

But even more out-there is the fact that Lancelot Link and his band were trained chimpanzees dressed in wigs and hippie costumes who appeared on Lancelot Link, Secret Chimp, a live-action Saturday-morning kiddie show in the early ’70s. An album of their music was actually released back then, and a video of the Lancelot Link song “Wild Dreams (Jelly Beans),” posted in a recent Ooey Gooey preview piece on Spin.com, shows these chimps indeed sounded a little like the Dirtbombs do on their new album.

Back during the great bubblegum scare, I was a little older than the target age group for this stuff, and for the most part I didn't share Collins’ affection for it. In fact, I hated the stuff. But little by little, I began to see at least a little value in the genre. Wilson Pickett had a hit with The Archies’ “Sugar Sugar.” A few years later, The Talking Heads covered “1, 2, 3, Red Light.” Meanwhile, The Dickies, an L.A. punk group, did a magnificent version of The Banana Splits theme song. And The Cramps covered “Quick Joey Small.”

And now The Dirtbombs have bubblegum on the soles of their shoes. They didn’t do covers of bubblegum hits. Instead, as Collins explained in an interview in Ghetto Blaster, “I wasn’t trying to make a period piece; I was more seeing if I could pick up where bubblegum left off ...”

If nothing else, Collins and crew capture the weird essence of many bubblegum elements. Just look at the song titles: “Sunshine Girl,” “We Come in the Sunshine,” “Sugar on Top,” “No More Rainy Days,” “Hot, Sour, Salty, Sweet,” “Hey! Cookie,” etc. I don’t know whether I’m in more danger of sunstroke or a diabetic coma after listening to this.

There are several songs that — apart from the candy-coated lyrics — don’t sound like a big stretch for The Dirtbombs. “Hot, Sour, Salty Sweet” is one of those, and so are “Sugar on Top” and “It’s Gonna Be Alright.” Collins’ guitar is righteously raunchy in these songs, even if the melodies are poppier than your usual Dirtbombs tune. And “Hey! Cookie” sounds like, well, a garage-rock number. It would have fit seamlessly in early Dirtbombs albums.

Mick Collins playing with The Gories
      Lincoln Center, NYC, 2010

But other tunes sink deeper into the bubblegum goo.

“We Come in the Sunshine” owes a big debt to “Good Vibrations,” but there also are strange components such as the Bobby Sherman-style horns and vocal harmonies that sound closer to The Cowsills than The Beach Boys. “The Girl on the Carousel” is a dreamy slow dance featuring an oboe.

But the biggest leap is “No More Rainy Days,” which, after a minute or so of what sounds like an Oompa Loompa march, goes into a weird interlude featuring the voice of the sun. That’s right, the actual sun, whose droning rumble was recorded by a solar observatory run by Stanford University.

I’ll admit, these tunes all are fun and catchy, even if the childlike lyrics and lollipops and rainbows start to wear down a listener used to grittier themes. My main beef is that this is the second genre exercise in a row for the Dirtbombs — the previous album, Party Store, being a tribute to Detroit techno bands. I just hope the next album by this band I love so much is less gooey and has more ka-blooey.

Also recommended: 

* Electric Slave by Black Joe Lewis. This is the hardest-edged record so far in the short but thrilling catalog of Lewis, an Austin native who, according to a recent piece in his hometown paper, recently moved to Montreal.

Unlike his previous two albums, this one is released under Lewis’ name alone, not with his band The Honeybears. The horn section is still there, but the soul and funk elements of Lewis’ early work are less apparent.

Also missing are any obvious crowd-pleasers, such as the funny spoken-word segments like “Mustang Ranch” from previous albums. I’m not saying crowds won’t be pleased. Electric Slave is raw, punk-infused electric blues rock. Less jive and more wallop.

The album starts out with “Skulldiggin’,” which has such a distorted, fuzzed-out bass that in a just world, every obnoxious kid with a weapons-grade car stereo would be blasting this at every intersection in America.

Black Joe in Santa Fe

“Guilty” is a frantic rocker with tasty guitar-sax interplay. The nearly seven-minute “Vampire” sounds like a stripped-down cousin of Concrete Blonde’s “Bloodletting (The Vampire Song).” Screamin’ Jay Hawkins could have done this one.

Two other standouts are the highly-caffeinated “Young Girls,” which reminds me of Barrence Whitfield & The Savages, and “The Hipster,” a ferocious cruncher built on a mutated “Everybody Needs Somebody to Love” guitar riff and incorporating some lyrics of “Wang Dang Doodle.”

I bet the Electric Slave song that gets the most airplay is “Come to My Party.” I hope a lot of new fans respond to that invitation. Black Joe Lewis always throws an amazing musical party.

Blog bonus: Lotsa videos this week

And a little history for you, kiddies:
      Talking Heads liked bubblegum when bubblegum wasn't cool

These chimps rock!

• September 12, 2013 3:49 PM CDT
    • John Battles said:

BUT , ALSO AN EVIL TOM JONES !

ratoonie said:

i absolutly Love that colorful albuum w/ the star on it....i dont have access to it right now.. its in storage..way up in sacramento.. i saw him on the tom jones show... my aunt bought the album 4 me from a bargin bin at the supermarket... its a great record!!!! kinda English version of alice cooper!!!!!

I was reading about his counselling work in Bizarre Magazine, where he would do it with the guitar and make a song with the patient.

• September 12, 2013 3:43 PM CDT
    • Ken Eppstein said:
      The Dead Milkmen's "Taking Retards To The Zoo" is one of my favorite completely politically incorrect without ever being vulgar songs.

"A Van Full of Retards" by Anal Cunt is worse!

• September 11, 2013 1:09 PM CDT
    • I did two podcasts again this week.  The first was all about Bo Diddley and his influence.  The other was a garage, punk podcast featuring rare music from The Mc5, Deja Voodoo, music from The Seeds and more. 

Revolution Bo Diddley Play List:

1.  Bo Diddley - Bo Diddley (single - 1955)

2.  Bo Diddley - Bring It To Jerome (Bo Diddley - 1958)

3.  Bo Diddley - The Great Grandfather (Go Bo Diddley - 1959)

4.  The Juvenilles - Bo Diddley (History of Northwest Rock Vol. 4 Battle of the Bands - 2009)

5.  The Ugly Ducklings - Hey Mamma Keep Your Big Mouth Shut (Somewhere Outside - 1967)

6.  The Gruesomes - I Can Tell (Gruesomania - 1987)

7.  Captain Beefheart - Diddy Wah Diddy (single - 1965)

8.  The Clash - You Can't Judge A Book By Looking At The Cover (Golden Bullets Bootleg - 2001)

9.  Bo Diddley - Surf, Sink or Swim (Surfin' With Bo Diddley - 1963)

10. Bo Diddley - Aztec (Bo Diddley Is A Lover - 1961)

11. Super Blues (Bo Diddley, Little Walter, Muddy Waters) - You Don't Love Me (You Don't Care) (Super Blues - 1967)

12. Bo Diddley - Rock & Roll (Rare and Well Done - 1991)

13. Bo Diddley - Bo Meets The Monster (single - 1958)

14. Light Bulb Alley - Who Do You Love? (The Sound of Things - 2011)

15. King Khan & The Shrines - Crackin' Up (The Supreme Genius of - 2008)

16. Ronnie Hawkins - Who Do You Love (The Roulette Years - 1995)

17. The Pack A.D. - Blackout (Funeral Mixtape - 2008)

18. Jesus & Mary Chain - Bo Diddley is Jesus (Barbed Wire Kisses - 1988)

19. Bo Diddley - Pills (single - 1961)

20. New York Dolls - Pills (New York Dolls - 1973)

21. The Rolling Stones – Please Go Home (Between The Buttons - 1967)

22. Bo Diddley - Gunslinger (Bo Diddley Is A Gunslinger - 1960)

Download/listen to this Bo Diddley podcast here:  http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/536-TBA-20130910-0900-t1378800000.mp3

Revolution Rock Play List:

1.  The Seeds – Try To Understand

2.  The Epics – Humpty Dumpty

3.  Actual Water – Ivory & Oak

4.  Gold Country – Carried Away And The Wind

5.  Chad Vangaalen – Molten Light

6.  J Mascis – Not Enough

7.  Robin Tyner & The Hotrods – Till the Night Is Gone

8.  Ultravox! – ROckWrok

9.  The Terminal Sunglasses – Antenna Dilemma

10. The Catch – Competition

11. Chang-A-Lang – Vigilante Man

12. The Forgotten Rebels – Me Generation

13. X – Sugarlight

14. Joy Division – Disorder

15. Vic Goddard & The Subway Sect – Johnny Thunders

16. Fergus & Geronimo – Spies

17. The Howlies – Walk On Home

18. Raised By Weeds – Trip To The Ocean

19. Deja Voodoo – Bo Diddley's Cat

20. Deja Voodoo - My Girlfriend

21. The Fall – Mr. Pharmacist

22. The Hives – Find Yourself Another Girl

23. MC5 – One Of The Guys

24. MC5 – Sister Ann (W Sonic On Guide Vocals)

Download/listen to this podcast here:  http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/36-Revolution_Rock-20130910-1030-t1378805400.mp3

For more info on these shows you can check out this week's blog post here:  http://revrock.blogspot.ca/2013/09/revolution-bo-diddley-show-472.html

• September 3, 2013 5:34 PM CDT
    • This week I did TWO podcasts.  The first was a show filled entirely of rare obscure old rockabilly music and some newer artists.  I also did Revolution Rock following that with garage rock, 70s punk etc.  Play lists and download links can be found below. 

Rockabilly play list:

1.  Elvis Presley – I’m Left, You’re Right, She’s Gone

2.  Jack Scott – Geraldine

3.  Jack Scott – Save My Soul

4.  Wanda Jackson – Fujiyama Mama

5.  Clyde Stacy - So Shy

6.  Whitey Pullen – Broke Waitin’ For A Break

7.  Tandoori Knights - Big Belly Giant

8.  Hal Willis – My Pink Cadillac

9.  Kenny Smith - I'm So Lonesome Baby

10. Aubrey Cagle - Rockabilly Boy

11. Parker Cunningham - Dry Run

12. Ray St. Germain & The Satins - She's A Square

13. Little Billy Stoltz & The Stotlz Bros – Rock & Roll Riot

14. R. Dean Taylor – At The High School Dance

15. Joe, Ron & George - Roachie

16. Zig Dillion - On Down The Line (Alternate Take)

17. Bloodshot Bill – Thunder And Lightning

18. Jerry Jerry & The Sons of Rhythm Orchestra - Bad Idea

19. The Dusty Chaps - Yukon Buddy

20. Hellbound Hepcats - Hellbound Hepcat

21. The Stray Cats – Built For Speed

22. Vince Taylor And The Playboys – Brand New Cadillac

23. Johnny Carrol - Two Timin'

24. Baker Knight – Bring My Cadillac Back

25. Robert Gordon With Link Wray - Red Cadillac And A Black Moustache

26. Stingin' Hornets - Hornet Hive Hop

27. The Phantom - Love Me

28. Tay Falco's Panther Burns – Come On Little Mama

29. Ray condo & His Hardrock Goners – Sweet Loving On My Mind

Download this podcast here:  http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/536-TBA-20130903-0900-t1378195200.mp3

Revolution Rock Play List (garage/punk):

1.  Monomyth – 10,000

2.  Old And Weird – All of My Friends

3.  Holy Cobras – Escalation

4.  The Crabs – Victim

5.  The Abandos – Speed Ball (Demo)

6.  Dum Dum Girls – Wasted Away

7.  Crocodiles – Summer of Hate 8.  King Khan & The Shrines – Yes I Can’t

9.  The Falcons – Somebrero Del Diablo

10. Dan Sartain – Telegram Sam

11. 101ers – Keep Taking The Tablets

12. Bo Diddley – Gunslinger

13. The Kinks – Milk Cow Blues

14. Sex Pistols – No Future (God Save The Queen) (Manchester Square Session 1976)

15. Gang of Four – I Found That Essence Rare

16. Pluto - Details

17. The Dirtbombs – Stuck Under My Shoe

18. Nothing At All – Nothing At All

19. Modern Lovers – Hospital

20. Simply Saucer – I Take (Demo)

21. Ty Segall – Sleeper

22. Ty Segall – Sweet C.C.

23. Ty Segall – The West

24. Elvis Presley - Mystery Train

Download this podcast here:  http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/36-Revolution_Rock-20130903-1030-t1378200600.mp3

Check out my blog post on Ty Segall's Sleeper here:  http://revrock.blogspot.ca/2013/09/ty-segalls-sleeper-rockabilly-show-471.html

• September 10, 2013 8:59 PM CDT
    • Yeah I figured you guys would dig. Searched for em and didn't see em on here. They ripped live. Go see em if you can.Cool

• September 10, 2013 10:50 AM CDT
    • That is fuckin awesome dude. Thanks for the heads up. they've got the same raw energy as the Hives. That rocks!!!

• September 10, 2013 2:02 AM CDT
    • Just saw these boys open for The Dwarves. Been lurking for a while and thought they should be brought to attention here. 

They just released a free EP. Gots a cover of Odyssey and some other 60s dood. 

http://ep.theatomage.com

• September 10, 2013 2:57 PM CDT
    • Matt said:

As far as good journalism—it still exists, perhaps more and better than ever with all the technological advances, it's just not a part of mainstream culture. As mentioned by Lutz, the mainstream news networks are more about dumbing people down so they don't get too concerned with important issues. I find that good journalism is abundant, but since it is not under the thumb of special interest, most do not have the funds to advertise, so you just have to know where to look for it.

I agree it's abundant, because of the Internet we can pretty much do/say almost anything, but it's true if you want good, honest, ACTUAL contraversial i.e., free speech journalism, then you do have to look for it.  The interesting thing is no one seems to be getting paid much these days like they used to regardless of WHO they work for.  Ex. status quo/bologna-online Huff Post uses journalism internship student writers who don't get paid, which I think is absolutely foul considering HP's net worth.... or the "robot" writing with minimal human editing.  But it's the people who really care and do it for free (unfortunately) that are the best journalists these days.  The former "Letter to the Editor" is basically the comment section on every site for all to see.  When there was the big threat of Internet censorship (was it a year ago?), EVERYONE came from off the rafters and out of their dust folds to demonstrate about it....that got everyone's attention.  Why? The possible suppression of free speech. 

• September 7, 2013 3:53 AM CDT
    • Lester Bangs is a 'COCK' who if it sold headline inches would blame the jews for the sinking of the Titanic or whatever other ironic untruth ya got. He would then sit back and let the 'kids' discuss and create the monster. If questioned... A choice ironic turn of phrase or two would let him of the hook. BOOM! the beat generation continues. In this day of soundbite politics and 'constructive' hatred and mistrust. Bangs would probably be considered for President or Emperor of Jupiter or any other puppet statesmanlike position! These fucker journalists from a dinosaur age should be considered for what they really are. No one and everyone. 'Vive le Conspiracy Theory!!!' Free speech died with Emily Pankhurst.

• September 4, 2013 10:33 PM CDT
    • I've had this article bookmarked for days now and finally got around to reading it. It's really good, thanks for sharing. To be honest it is not something I would have expected to read by Lester Bangs. Not that I ever suspected him of being a racist, but he (admittedly) has been pretty free about using the word nigger and other racist words.

I find most of his writings to be good, so I was not surprised to enjoy this article. What did surprise me is the courage it took to write the article, which was exposing many of his pals for their questionable banter.

As far as good journalism—it still exists, perhaps more and better than ever with all the technological advances, it's just not a part of mainstream culture. As mentioned by Lutz, the mainstream news networks are more about dumbing people down so they don't get too concerned with important issues. I find that good journalism is abundant, but since it is not under the thumb of special interest, most do not have the funds to advertise, so you just have to know where to look for it.

• September 10, 2013 2:28 PM CDT
    • Greetings, I'm new to the site and this is my first post, so hello to all the GPH community. I have picked up and been playing the harmonia for a couple months now and I have a new found respect and passion for the instrument. I'm currently trying to put together a Trash band but would also like incorporate some blues aspect in there somewhere. I would like to reach out and ask for any good garage songs, artist, bands that incorporate harmonica or have a blues side. Anything along these lines and inbetween. Much appreciation!

• September 10, 2013 1:52 PM CDT
    • Greetings!

I'm Mark, I have been into Garage for quite a number of years now. I'm a harp(monica) player as well as an upright basses. As far as music goes, Jazz, Blues, Garage, Psychobilly, Punk, Oi, Ska, Reggae and so on and so forth. I live in Ventura County in Southern California, anyone that lives within the Ventura, or Los Angeles areas drop me a message and swap some upcoming shows. Anyone and everyone that is interested in swapping war stories, music taste, or just wants to bullshit feel free to add/message me.

• September 9, 2013 5:30 AM CDT
    • Hi.  I live in Montpelier Vermont.  I took up the guitar and bass at age 40 so I've got some catching up to do.

I love all kinds of music.  I have two kids age 10 & 8.  I am a marathon runner in my spare time.

• September 8, 2013 10:18 PM CDT
    • this album is seriously great

• September 3, 2013 5:27 PM CDT
    • I absolutely love FIDLAR, great music and great videos

• September 7, 2013 4:25 PM CDT
    • Radio What Wave Playlist Sept 5/2013

1. Rosy Red....Cloudy Day....demo from a short lived Brantford Ontario combo, who have since re-named and come back to life.

2. Marshmallow Overcoat...Suddenly Sunday...from The Complete Sound CD Boxset. The Marshmallow Overcoat were from Tucson and have just started a Kickstarter campaign to raise money to do a double LP best of collection.

3. Marshmallow Overcoat...Tears...as above.

4. Marshmallow Overcoat...Tried To Hide....recorded at Call The Office, 4/11/1989. The only time they ever played London Ontario.

5. The Mongrels...All Systems Go....from a Radio What Wave Session that aired 5/2/2013. The Mongrels will be playing at St Regis Hotel tonight.

6. The Mongrels...Do It...as above.

7. The Mongrols...Plastic Girl...from 4 Whom The Bell Tolls, a 7" that came with What Wave zine 16, October 1988. This is a different Mongrols than above (note spelling), yet both bands came from London Ontario.

The Mongrels, late 80's

8. The Shadows Of Knight...I'm Gonna Make You Mine...from the Edsel greatest hits LP. This is for Joe Kelley, their guitarist who passed away the other day.

9. The Shadows Of Knight...Gloria...from the original Dunwich 7" that coincidentally, I picked up at Speed City Records the other day.

10. The Shadows Of Knight...Light Bulb Blues...from the Edsel greatest hits LP.

11. The Black Rainbows...2 Day Rule...from their only CD, I Met This Chick....Toronto combo whom I saw at This Ain't Hollywood the other day, and put on an amazing show!! Well rehearsed, lots of harmony vocals, good between song banter and a whole lotta fun!

The Black Rainbows at This Ain't Hollywood

12. Shark Week...Get High...from their demo CD. DC based combo who played London recently.

13. The Ballantynes...Velvet...from their latest 7" on La Ti Da Records and from Vancouver.

14. THE...Grilled Cheese...from their only demo. 

15. Flying Squad....Health Food...from Mr Garager's Neighbourhood, a 1989 LP on OG Records that we compiled. Flying Squad were from London Ontario, mid 80's to early 90's band.

The Flying Squad, mid 80's

16. Boy From Nowhere...Heart Full Of Soul....from Thee Cave Comes Alive, a 2004 LP on Action Records out of Greece which collected some of the 60's garage style music from the cassettes that came with What Wave zine. Boy From Nowhere were an early 80's combo from London Ontario who will be doing a reunion on October 5th at the Town And Country. It's a special birthday bash and i'll be the DJ.

17. Bath Salts...recorded live on CHRW 8/16/13 on the Just Another Punk Show. And they will be playing tonite at APK in London Ontario.

18. Shortpants Romance...Heatwave... demo from this Montreal combo.

19. The Stolen Minks...Batman...from the Family Boycott CD, Halifax all girl combo.

A couple of Stolen Minks on Radio WW Aug 31 2006

20. The Weirdies...We Are The Weirdies...from their In 3D CD. Drummer Stacey Case has moved from Toronto to Hamilton and has just joined The noble Savages.

21. Mojo Nixon and Skid Roper...Burn Down The Malls...from The Enigma Variations 2, a double LP that came out in 1987. In London we have a bit of a controversy over a possible new mall that is planned to be built by the major highway and will be where there is a forest, pond and a lot of wildlife. A lot of us are against it, yet our mayor and city council pushed approval through with the bullshit promise that it will create jobs. The local conservation authority was supposed to be involved and they have to give approval for projects like this to start. In this case, they were NOT consulted. Hence the playing of this and the next 2 songs.

22. Mojo Nixon and Skid Roper...Where The Hell's My Money?...from the 1986 LP Frenzy.

23. Mojo Nixon and Skid Roper....This Land Is Your Land...from the Root Hog Or Die LP.

Big thanx for all the phone calls, emails, facebook messages and HEYS!!!    We're back again next week with lots more noise.

The archived show is available at:

http://chrwradio.ca/content/radio-what-wave

• September 7, 2013 2:56 PM CDT
    • Playlist 09/07/13

Captain Sensible  Back to School 
      APB  Shoot You Down 
      Dead Kennedys  Stars and Stripes of Corruption 
      Amy Gore and Her Valentines  Send Me a Postcard 
      War Party  Every Day I Bite The Hook 
      Mondo Topless  I Want To 
      Persian Claws  Move Through Time 
      Radio Birdman  Aloha Steve and Danno 
      Cramps  Goo Goo Muck 
      Mad Daddys  Take Me Back To Woodstock 
      Harmonica Lewinski  Beach Party Tonight 
      D.O.A.  Burn It Down 
      Cosmic Psychos  Lost Cause 
      Mobbs  When You Find Out 
      Neon Boys  That's All I Know (Right Now) 
      Mysteios  Biker Girl In Love 
      Fabulous Miss Wendy  Love Song 
      Phantom Six  Inspiration 
      Mandates  Photo In My Wallet II 
      Bloody Hollies  You're So Cold 
      Th' Losing Streaks  Your Love, Now 
      Mono Men  Mystery Girl 
      Mortals  Coming Down 
      Barrence Whitfield and the Savages  Corner Man 
      Wyldlife  The Right! 
      Nomads  Get Out of My Mind 
      King Khan & The Shrines  Born To Die 
      So So Glos  House of Glass 
      Orwells  Open Your Eyes 
      Superchunk  FOH 
      Broncho  Losers 
      Diarrhea Planet  Hammer of the Gods 
      Missing Monuments  Grizzly Star 
      Kingswood  She's My Baby 
      Screaming Trees  She Knows 
      Godfathers  Gone to Texas 

• September 7, 2013 9:40 AM CDT
    •  

I will be back on the air and the web playing new and old garage-punk tunes from 1:00-3:00PM EST on Saturday September 7th.  You can listen on 89.7 WITR-FM in Rochester, NY or streaming live at http://witr.rit.edu.

• September 5, 2013 3:33 PM CDT
    • Two new bands makin me shake just now. The Wytches and Miraculous Mule. Both British Gnarly loveliness. Check'em out

• September 4, 2013 12:27 PM CDT
    • I listen to a lot of hardcore and metal, which probably isn't so popular in these parts—but it happens to be where some of my favorite new music is coming from these days. That being said, some more current garagey type stuff I listen to these days would be New Horizzzons and the Pow Wows. Both local bands from Toronto. We seem to play a lot of shows with the Pow Wows and I've seen them go through a number of changes and I think they keep getting better and better. New Horizzzons is a new-ish band formed by a few friends of mine. Definitely original to say the least. Craig Daniels of many older Toronto bands, namely the Leather Uppers plays guitar on some songs and drums on the others. I highly recommend checking these guys out.

New Horizzzons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OczZOtwpMQ

Perhaps my favorite new band at the moment is NANCY from NYC. The drummer from Chicago's Gas Rag has a label called "Eat the Life" and puts out mostly hardcore/ weird stuff. He gave me a pile of cassettes a few weeks ago. NANCY was one of them and they are anything but hardcore or weird, PURE ROCK 'N" ROLL! They remind me of a cross between Nobunny and the Exploding Hearts. So good, so poppy, so catchy. I can't stop listening to their demo. I hope these guys put out a proper LP before the end of the year.

http://nancymommy.bandcamp.com/

Another band I really dig right now is VOICEMAIL. They are from Ottawa and I've seen them a few times now. Ian Manhire from the White Wires is on vocals and guitar, then various other cool kids from bands like the Mother's Children and the Sedatives are in the mix. Very similar to the White Wires, but that is certainly not a bad thing. We played with them about 6 months ago and they didn't have anything out as of then, but maybe something's been released since. Great music made by great people.

I can't locate a Voicemail bandcamp. I think there is some face book thing, but I'm not a member, so I can't look at it to tell you if it is worth visiting or even the same band.

• September 3, 2013 10:55 PM CDT
    • KrusherKarlsen said:

http://youtu.be/Q-UTQFFeNsQ

Yes! Love that track. The Lad Mags out of Edmonton, CA just released a single with an amazing cover of that song. Highly recomended.

• September 2, 2013 5:48 PM CDT
    • I'd like to check out this book too. Does it discuss the Wallis' time with the band and the recordings that would later go on to be On Parole album?