Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• June 26, 2013 5:55 PM CDT
    • This week's podcast featured new music from The Oblivians Desperation album along with music from The Cramps, New Kind of Mambo, The Replacements, The Evaporators and more. 

Listen/download to this week's podcast here: http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/36-Revolution_Rock-20130625-1030-t1372152600.mp3

Check out my blog post on Oblivians Desperation here:  http://revrock.blogspot.ca/2013/06/the-oblivians-desperation-show-461.html

The Play List:

1.  Toy Love – Rebel (Live At The Gluepot 1980)
      2.  The Nils – In Betweens
      3.  By Divine Right – Past The Stars
      4.  Ramblin' Jack Elliot - Muleskinner Blues
      5.  Andrew Neville - Gal Back Home
      6.  Indian Wars – Pastor Phillips
      7.  Chris Crossroads - All In The Family (Live On Air at CJAM FM)
      8.  Chris Crossroads - Southern Fried Turnips (Live On Air at CJAM FM)
      9.  New Kind of Mambo – My Girlfriend’s In The FBI
      10. Prehistoric Cave Strokers - Let's Id!
      11. Paul Jacobs – Sara’s Party
      12. Jello Biafra & Mojo Nixen - Let's Go Burn Ole Nashville Down
      13. Oblivians – Call The Police
      14. Oblivians – Little War Child
      15. The Cramps - People Ain't No Good
      16. The Ugly Ducklings - The Hangman
      17. The Magnificent 7's - Today's Empire, Tomorrows Ashes
      18. The Replacements – Take Me Down To The Hospital
      19. The Evaporators - Brainwashed
      20. Ty Segall – I Can’t Feel It
      21. Ty Segall - My Head Explodes

The previous week's program i did a mini-feature on The Saints This Perfect Day single.  That info can be found on my blog with the play list and download links here:  http://revrock.blogspot.ca/2013/06/the-saints-this-perfect-day-single-show.html

• June 26, 2013 7:19 AM CDT
    • We just played a show with The Well from Austin. Very cool doom/stoner band. Even nicer people.

• June 25, 2013 9:48 PM CDT
    • The Trip!  June 23rd show!  

Listen here: http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/381-The_Trip-20130623-0030-t1371943800.mp3

The Setlist: 

PETER TORK- DO IT NOW FOUNDATION PSA 
      THE OBLIVIANS- EM 

THE BAYMEN- BONZAI 
      THE CHESSMEN- YOU CAN'T CATCH ME 
      JIMMY HEAP -GISMO 
      THE PHANTOM -LOVE ME 
      TRIUMPHS- LOVIN' CUP 
      THE TIARAS- MEXICAN ROCK 
      THE SWAMP RATS- LOUIE LOUIE 

THE MONSTERS- CRAWLING BACK TO YOU NO MORE 
      IGGY AND THE STOOGES -PENETRATION 

THE KINKS -MILK COW BLUES/BATMAN/SO TIRED OF WAITING 
      FRANK ZAPPA- DO IT NOW FOUNDATION PSA 
      SATAN'S PILGRIMS -VAMPIRO 

THE CIGARETTES YOU WERE SO YOUNG 
      THE CREW -HOT WIRE 
      HAMILTON STREECAR -INVISIBLE PEOPLE 
      FRANK ZAPPA -DO IT NOW FOUNDATION PSA 
      MORLOCKS -ONE WAY TICKET 
      THE RATIONALS -TURN ON 

JOHNNY & THE DEBONAIRS -THE BONECRACKER 

LESTER YOUNG & THE CALIFORNIA- PLAYBOYS WOBBLE TIME 
      THE ROYAL PLAYBOYS -GOODBYE BO! 
      JIMMY LLOYD- ROCKET IN MY POCKET 
      NEANDERTHALS- ARULA MATA GALI 
      FRANK ZAPPA -DO IT NOW FOUNDATION PSA 
      ADRIAN LLOYD- LORNA 
      LLOYD AND GLEN- MINI-SKIRT AND GO-GO BOOTS 
      RACE MARBLES -THE SWITCH 

CAB CALLOWAY -THE REEFERMAN

• June 24, 2013 10:58 AM CDT
    • The Trip! June 9th 2013 Show!

Listen here:  http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/381-The_Trip-20130609-0030-t1370734200.mp3

The setlist: 

gert wilden-   hong kong twist
      motel beds-   lit eyes
      grubstake-   instrumental vurdalak
      k-holes -   acid
      k-holes -   nightshifter
      9353-   famous last words
      seaven teares-   them bones
      ex-cult -   don't feel anything
      ty segall-   i can feel it
      the doors-   the unknown soldier
      iron butterfly-   termination
      black devils brigade-   raised by wolves
      the playboys-   the scramble
      the falcons-   restless
      hawkwind-   quark, strangeness and charm
      hawkwind-   bring it on home
      magic slim-   playin' with my mind
      the 24th street wailers-   howlin'
      howlin wolf-   rockin' daddy
      the contours-   whole lotta woman
      the contours-   come on and be mine

• June 25, 2013 7:56 PM CDT

• John Battles said:

Nice overview of Andre's (Somewhat) recent repertoirre. The best thing I've seen him do , in recent years , was a reading of "Sweets" in a bar that was half comprised of Andre's friends and fans (Inc. Miriam Linna , Bo Dudley , John Drake FROM tHE aMBOY dUKES, Dan Kroha ,and Cynthia Plastercaster) and half loud , abrasive yuppies who would not shut up during Andre's reading. Enough people gave them death - stares and yelled "SHUT THE FUCK UP !!!" to almost bring it to a cease , then , when Andre said "AND THEN , SHE BIT HIS MUTHAFUCKIN' DICK OFF !!!!!" , oh yeah , they were gone.

My favorite Andre comeback records are still the two he did for Norton , which makes me uncool in the so -called "Garage Community". I don't think I've seen either of these , but , now  you've got me interested.  The Goldstars have been around a long time , Sal and Ken were also in Andre's previous Chicago - based touring band , The Greasy Wheels.

I'm a big fan of Dennis Coffey , but I only heard of this album in passing.

The "Directly From the Streets" album is shit. Unless you like BAD rap . I mean even - bad - for rap - Bad Rap. It's too bad they could'nt do better, together, him and Swamp. When my friend s, James Porter and Sean Maloney , and I interviewed 'Dre , I think in early '97 , he referred to Swamp Dogg as "FAT FUCKER !!!" , AND SAID HE REFUSED TO LET HIM TALK TO THE LABEL PREZ AT ICHIBAN(?). "WHY ? " Andre asked , "IS HE GOT TWO DICKS ?!!".

Williams claims he was offered a piece of "Mustang Sally", now the inexplicable theme song for Blues Bands all over Chicago , BUT , ESPECIALLY , THE SOUTH SIDE. HE SAID HE PASSED , THINKING THE SONG WOULD'NT GO.

But , "Bacon Fat" was a national hit. One of those things Oldies RADIO WOULD HAVE US FORGET.

• June 25, 2013 7:53 PM CDT
    • Nice overview of Andre's (Somewhat) recent repertoirre. The best thing I've seen him do , in recent years , was a reading of "Sweets" in a bar that was half comprised of Andre's friends and fans (Inc. Miriam Linna , Bo Dudley , John Drake FROM tHE aMBOY dUKES, Dan Kroha ,and Cynthia Plastercaster) and half loud , abrasive yuppies who would not shut up during Andre's reading. Enough people gave them death - stares and yelled "SHUT THE FUCK UP !!!" to almost bring it to a cease , then , when Andre said "AND THEN , SHE BIT HIS MUTHAFUCKIN' DICK OFF !!!!!" , oh yeah , they were gone.

My favorite Andre comeback records are still the two he did for Norton , which makes me uncool in the so -called "Garage Community". I don't think I've seen either of these , but , now  you've got me interested.  The Goldstars have been around a long time , Sal and Ken were also in Andre's previous Chicago - based touring band , The Greasy Wheels.

I'm a big fan of Dennis Coffey , but I only heard of this album in passing.

The "Directly From the Streets" album is shit. Unless you like BAD rap . I mean even - bad - for rap - Rap. It's too bad they could'nt do better, together, him and Swamp. When my friend s, James Porter and Sean Maloney , interviewed 'Dre , I think in early '76 , he referred to Swamp Doggas "FAT FUCKER !!!" , AND SAID HE'S REFUSED TO LET HIM TALK TO THE LABEL PREZ AT ICHIBAN(?). "WHY ? " Andre asked , "IS HE GOT TWO DICKS ?!!".

Williams claims he was offered a piece of "Mustang Sally", now the inexplicable theme song for Blues Bands all over Chicago , BUT , ESPECIALLY , THE SOUTH SIDE. HE SAID HE PASSED , THINKING THE SONG WOULD'NT GO.

But "Bacon Fat" was a national hit. One of those things Oldies RADIO WOULD HAVE US FORGET.

• June 25, 2013 4:31 PM CDT
    • Yeah , seemed like a longshot , but , who can be sure? Actually , The Ledge started out as a one man band , himself.

• June 24, 2013 2:36 AM CDT

• John Battles said:

You mean , Anus Presley , who used to guest with The Butthole Surfers , or someone else?

Not the Butthole's.  This guy is sort of like 'Hasil Adkins meets The Legendary Stardust Cowboy'  I don't know anything about him butt eye gots me 4 songs of his, cheers

• June 23, 2013 10:43 PM CDT
    • Gotta give a shout for three guys I saw live recently

Scott H Biram

Honkeyfinger and Dave Arcari

Molly Gene One Whoaman Band plays some some pretty mean punk blues, worth checking out if you've not heard her before

• June 23, 2013 4:10 PM CDT
    • You mean , Anus Presley , who used to guest with The Butthole Surfers , or someone else?

I had this macho hardass redneck jerkoff I was sharing a studio space with in school, I accidentally on purpose played "Revenge of Anus Presley" when he was in the room. He never came back. These others , I have'nt heard of. Good names , most of 'em. We had a big One Man Band FESTIVAL IN CHICAGO , ABOUT 10 YEARS AGO. There  were someting like 150 performers in several venues.

• June 25, 2013 4:21 PM CDT
    • Gino and the Goons!

• June 24, 2013 6:01 AM CDT
    • I dun't much nose about genres, my apologies if'n these here Bands dun't fits in this post. To me they is groovy lo-fi /trash. Enjoy!!

The Budget Girls, The Brentwoods, Thee Almighty Handclaps, Epsilons, Bored! - Negative Waves, Bits Of Shit, Atomic Suplex, capputtini 'i lignu, Come'N'Go, Congregation, Deadnecks, Dusty Mush, The Exotics [Australia], the Gooch Palms, Goatfucking Nunrapers, Hank Wood and the Hammerheads, The Hard-ons(early stuff), I.L.C.K. , Intoxica, Lo-Lite, Thee Ludds, Mujeres, The Mystery Girls, The Dirty Lovers, The Porch Ghouls, Sex Beet, The Strange Boys, Superstitions, Turbo fruits, Vermillion Sands, Waylon Thornton, Wildmen,

Cheers

• June 24, 2013 12:19 AM CDT
    • It's sublime , but creepy......They were one of the first to popularize acoustic music , again.

YEARS AGO , A FRIEND OF MINE HAD DEVELOPED A METHAMPHETAMINE HABIT . HE GOT FREE OF IT , BUT , HE COULD'NT AFFORD MEDICAL ASSISTANCE , SO HE HAD TO DRY OUT ON HIS OWN. HE WAS DELIVERING PIZZAS. WHAT MADE HIM MAD WAS ,HE'D GO TO ALL THESE FRAT BOY'S HOUSES , AND THEY'D ALL BE PLAYING WHATEVER THE FEMMES' RECORD WAS THEN , DOCUMENTING THE SINGER'S WITHDRAWAL FROM DOPE. IT MADE MY FRIEND MAD , BECAUSE HE HAD TO HEAR ABOUT A GUY WHO COULD AFFORD GOOD MEDICAL CARE , ALL THE TIME , AND HE HAD TO DO IT , COLD TURKEY.

Andy Climax said:

The Violent Femmes debut album is just sublime. Talk about budget albums. I love it!

• June 23, 2013 7:55 PM CDT
    • The Penetrators! Teenage Lifestyle oooowh-ooooowhhh!!

• June 25, 2013 4:13 PM CDT
    • I hate "The Weight" . "The Weight " I hate . Why do people think that it's so great?

"The Weight" by The BAND , surely one of the most overrated bands , ever. I know that songs that never get off the ground are Rock'n'Roll at it's finest (Any Deadhead will tell you so.), but , I never got it......They were fine as Ronnie Hawkins' backing band , but , after that , zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.  I was never much of a Dylan fan , either, so their tenure with him , I know I'M SUPPOSED TO ADORE, but , I find it a BORE , BORE , BORE.

Starland Vocal Band- "Afternoon Delight". OK , is there anyone who does'nt hate this song? (You younger people who may have never heard it , resist what little temptation that may come over you !).    I'm not knocking the sentiment expressed in this song , mind you. A few years later  , I read they did a version of "La Bamba", with new lyrics , giving themselves a CO - CREDIT !

THERE'S A REAL CREEPY COUNTRY - POP SONG , EARLY - MID 70'S , I THINK.  It sounds like a duet by a creepy older guy and a barely of age , frankly scared sounding girl. They may have been closer than that in ages , in real life , but it sounds CREEPY ! tHE CHORUS WAS "gUESS i'M gONNA sTAY wITH yOU aWHILE". Fortunately , that's all I recall.

Like a White Trash "J'etaime.".

Big Dipper - "All Going Out Together" . Beginning of my non - love affair with Alt -Rock.

Stray Cats - "Stray Cat Strut". I would not LIE to you. I heard two bands cover it in one week. One band was led by Lee Rocker , and he should have known better.

Hayze Fantayze - "Shiny Shiny" . I worked in a Pizza place in '83 , I had TO LISTEN TO THE RADIO OR MY CO-WORKER'S CRAP - METAL TAPES , most of the time (YES , LIKE SCORPIONS , 10 years past their prime !). Mercifully , this song only got airplay for about a week.

Styx - Boy, it's hard to choose ONE. Probably "Sing For The Day". Sounds like their voices were sped up to sound MORE castrato.....Speaking of which......

Four Seasons , anyone? Hard to think of just one , probably "Big Girls Don't Cry". I'm probably a little more tolerant of 'em than when I was a kid , but that voice! Grating ! I'll even take Edith Massey's version over that.

Quiet Riot - "Cum on Fell Th'Noize" , "Mama Weer All Crazy Now" - Their own stuff is no bargain , either.

Motley Crue - "Smokin' In The Boy's Room"- as above.

Krokus - "Ballroom Blitz " - as above.

Joan Jett and The Blackhearts - "I Love Rock'n'Roll"  , "Do You Wanna Touch Me (Yeah Oh Yeah.)- as above.  Don't get me wrong , I even liked the  songs she sang with the later Runaways , most of 'em , and some of her first album , but , I never got on the bandwagon. I'll take The Arrows' original "I Love Rock'n'Roll' any day ( I met Alan Merrill. He said he's tried to reach Joan Jett , but, never met her. She should have been reaching out to him , to say thanks.), and I even prefer Tommy James' version of "Do You Wanna..." , he was in on the late train to Glam covers , 5 years before Joan , even doing "Devilgate Drive" by Suzi Quatro, whose schtick was "Borrowed by Jett , like Jim Dandy's was by David Lee Roth.

• June 24, 2013 10:42 AM CDT
    • Black Sabbath are one of the best bands in the world..I cant think saying that scorpions are close enought to black sabbath!!!

I m not listening that type of music that time of my life, im a guy of (garage,punk surf psycho-rockabilly) music.

I stop talking about scorpions/...this discusion are not for scorpion i just say my opinion...:P

keep rcoking guys!!!

• June 24, 2013 12:11 AM CDT
    • HA HA HA......But  ,  have you heard their first two albums? I was really surprised how good they were , like Black Sabbath with a bit of Pink Fairies Psychedelia thrown in. I do know , I did see Uli JoN ROTH ONCE , IT WAS SO wank! He had films of himself playing real fast , and he'd replicate what was in thE films perfectly. WOW, man !

• June 23, 2013 10:39 PM CDT
    • yep, sorry John! i know you understand a bit german BUT if you would understand more you won´t like them, as well! :P

• June 23, 2013 8:09 PM CDT
    • HA HA HA! Here I am defending early Scorpions
      (As in ca. 1972.), and you've already shot 'em down , beforehand. Well done. : )

Tersicore said:

completely agree!!

and i confess: i never liked Springsteen, really! (and hate even the very early skorpions)

NoiseMaker said:

Time to get it off my chest...

Hey Jude - The Beatles

Good Vibrations - The Beach Boys

Unchained melody -The Righetous Bros

Hotel California - The Eagles

Born in the USA -Springsteen

ANYTHING by Journey...

ANYTHING by Def Leopard

...I better stop,,,,my brain is smokin'

• June 23, 2013 8:07 PM CDT
    • U2 is a BAND?!  Kidding.....sort of.

I don't blame you at all for hating the Scorpions , BUT , if you like aggressive , somewhat trippy , early 70's Hard Rock at all , you could do a lot worse than the first two Scorpions albums. They sound NOTHING like what they went on to become.

• June 24, 2013 9:47 PM CDT
    • Buzz's Playlist for 6/24/13

06:03PM Dirt Bike Annie “Are You Ready for the Summer”

06:05PM Teengenerate “Sex Cow”

06:06PM Teengenerate “Savage”

06:08PM Legionaire's Disease Band “Downtown”

06:10PM Bill Collectors “Never Satisfied”

06:17PM Armitage Shanks “Circles”

06:21PM Mother's Children “(Baby You Ain't) Tough Enough”

06:23PM God's Heart Attack “Treat Me Like a Doll”

06:25PM The Titans “Let's Get Up”

06:27PM Superdestroyers “Driller Killer”

06:31PM Jello Biafra & The Guantanamo School of Medicine “Burgers of Wrath”

06:37PM The Spies “My Radio”

06:40PM The Mean Jeans “Slime Time”

06:43PM Kavolchy “Revolution Evolution”

06:45PM Ramones “Havana Affair”

06:49PM Shit Box Jimmy “Black Eye”

06:52PM The Dipshits “Wimp”

06:54PM Loli and the Chones “Little Black Book”

06:58PM The Rabies “Psycho Teenage Mutant Massacre”

07:00PM The Stooges “No Fun (Cale Mix)”

07:05PM The Hunches “Static Disaster”

07:10PM Mudhoney “Touch Me I'm Sick (Live)”

07:13PM Rio Grande “My Disease”

07:13PM The Hellacopters “Another Place”

07:20PM Suzi Quatro “Glycerine Queen”

07:25PM Motocaster “The Buddha”

07:27PM The Upper Crust “Cream of the Crust”

07:35PM LOCAL SIZZLER:  Aluminum Knot Eye “Once Upon A Time In The Midwest”

07:39PM New York Dolls “Lone Star Queen”

07:43PM Sweatmaster “Animal”

07:52PM Motorhead “Tales of Glory”

07:55PM Motorhead “Iron Fist”

07:57PM The Naked Eye “Sour Wine”

08:03PM The Oblivians “Back Street Hangout”

08:06PM The Blind Shake “Hurracan”

08:10PM The Haunted “1-2-5”

08:11PM The Finks “The Nomad”

08:15PM Thee Headcoatees “Headcoat Girl”

08:18PM Roky Erickson “Haunt”

08:20PM Gino And The Goons “Gotta Getaway”

08:22PM The Chob “we're pretty quick”

08:25PM The Volcanos “Deora”

08:27PM The Nomads “It's Lonely Down There Too”

08:33PM The Dirtbombs “Mystified”

08:36PM The Gories “There But For The Grace Of God Go I”

08:39PM The Creepy Creeps “Chicken Creep Nasty”

08:43PM Jim Radi & His Sidekicks “Motivation”

08:47PM Kid Congo and the Pink Monkey Birds “I Don'T Like”

08:50PM Kid Congo and the Pink Monkey Birds “The Rad Lords Return”

08:52PM Kid Congo and the Pink Monkey Birds “Haunted Head”

08:56PM Bantam Rooster “You're The Sun”

• June 23, 2013 7:33 PM CDT
    • It's interesting......(Don't reveal the surprise ending!) , I like how it starts real understated , then the backward(?) guitar solo kicks in ! Some guy muttering something in English....

Andy Climax said:

This is lovely. A few years old but Takako is a real Maverick when it comes to music, culture and influence. Enjoy

• June 23, 2013 5:06 PM CDT
    • For me it was the Ramones Surfin Bird. Once I'd heard that and knew it was a cover I had to source out the original and that led to nuggets and that was that. Hooked.

• June 23, 2013 3:51 PM CDT
    • ....Similarly , songs like "Psychotic Reaction" were a mystery for me , too. I first read about it in an article in your "Story of Pop" magazine.....But, I did'nt hear it on the radio for a couple of years. I saw a Liberty records COMP LP. It had The Ventures doing Batman , and The Count Five doing a song called "Psychotic Reaction"....I could'nt believe a song with a name like that could've been a hit ! I  saw this record at a pawn shop , and , even at their prices , I could'nt afford to take a chance on an album I might only like a couple of songs on......I ALSO SAW A SHEET MUSIC BOOK WITH PICS OF sAM tHe Sham and Count Five , around that time . THAT , I SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT.

• June 23, 2013 4:03 PM CDT
    • Wow , I bought "Hanx" in '83 , I think. The pond was'nt exactly brimmin' with SLF records at the time , so , I grabbed it , not knowing it was a live album. Of course , I liked it, but , I was looking for the studio versions of those songs , which , hard as it may be to believe , took several years.  I am a bit tired of people raggin' on "Loco Live". Sorry about their favorite bands . Mine (Cramps ,Ramones , Fleshtones.) were in it for life, and doing just fine at the time . Good point about the later stuff. Plus , COME ON ! IT'S GOT "CARBONA , NOT GLUE"! I don't hold it above "It's Alive" ,but I've heard damn few live Ramones recordings that did'nt do it for me - Like "Greatest Hits , Live" and a show from '76 a friend taped me , it's good , they're just off....AND a tape I found for a dollar from the Milwaukee Summerfest, in '92 or '93. Again , it's not BAD , but they're playing way too fast , as Der Fuhrer commanded.....